VII: Sunsets Weren't Supposed To Hurt

Shin High School of Gods

 

 

“He had done as his dreams had told him,

But dreams know more than they reveal,

Even to the wisest of the Gods.”

Neil Gaiman, Norse Mythology

 

 

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say that the two of you look good together and suit each other so much.”

 

Donghae and Hyukjae simultaneously froze from their attacking positions as the little dwarf’s small voice resonated on the swamp. The auburn-haired God of Innocent was on the verge of pushing the mischievous God on the lake, while the black-haired God of Mischief was about to pull the innocent God with him. Good thing they had stopped before they end up like wet chickens. Donghae was more than sure his Hangeng hyung and Heechul hyung would nag the hell out of him.

 

Donghae pouted as he realized his strength was no match for Hyukjae’s and the underlying truth that the man in front of him was bound to kill him someday, the fright in his heart intensified. He already considered himself lucky since the mischievous God seemed to still have no plans of doing that anytime soon but he can never be too sure. The other God was of Loki’s ancestry after all.

 

He pouted as he slumped his back on the tree, allowing the adorable dwarf to climb on his shoulders. “What are you talking about, Mr. Leif?”

 

From the corner of his eyes, he saw how Hyukjae also sat on the tree opposite theirs. The black-haired scoffed, eyeing the small dwarf with so much hate and disgust as if what the latter had said was horrible and sickening. He could not understand why but Donghae felt a slight pinch on his heart. Was he really that repulsive?

 

Hyukjae glared at him before moving his gaze to the small creature comfortably sitting on his right shoulder. “That’s just absurd, dwarf! Try to say something that at least makes sense,” the black-haired scoffed.

 

Minutes passed by but Donghae could not find in himself to join the conversation with Hyukjae and Leif. He just sat there, trying to enjoy the continuous bickering of the two. Usually, Donghae would rant and tell all of his concerns and how his day went to the small dwarf but today was different. It was already bad enough that Hyukjae was here. He really should have known that this was bound to happen when Leif told him that the mischievous God frequented the lake.

 

 

 

“Look, kid! The beast is sleeping.”

 

Donghae was snapped out of his reveries when the small creature whispered something in his right ear. And just like what had been told, the God of Mischief was indeed sleeping with his back against the opposite tree.

 

He giggled, “You didn’t put a sleeping spell on him or something, did you?”

 

Leif snorted, rolling his eyes. “I’m not capable of doing that, kid. I can only scavenge and appear smaller. I’m not a God like you and that beast.”

 

Donghae shook his head, his soft giggles filling the tranquil atmosphere. He let his eyes wander on the mischievous God and this time, he wholeheartedly begged to differ on the ridiculous things written on their books.

 

Writers and scholars both from Asgard and Midgard wrote articles and books in the past stating that all of Loki’s descendants sported hideous looks and threatening auras. But as he stared at Lee Hyukjae currently sleeping in front of him, threatening, yeah a bit! Hideous? Definitely not. The current God of Mischief was nowhere near hideous. In fact, he was one of the most good-looking Gods Donghae had the pleasure of meeting. If only the prophecy was a bit different, maybe he would not even hesitate to openly and publicly admire Hyukjae.

 

“You look terrible, kid. Something bothering you?”

 

Donghae sighed. The actual reason why he decided to visit Leif today was to ask things that he couldn’t ask his friends.

 

“Was it obvious, Mr. Leif?” he asked, fingers curling up on top of his knees.

 

“You’re like an open book, Donghae. You’re easier to read more than anyone. I’m sure there’s at least something bothering you or else you wouldn’t come here looking like you just attended a death ritual.”

 

He nodded his head instead of replying and ruffled up his hair. It made him look like a wild lion (puppy actually) but he couldn’t care any less. His eyes scanned over the napping God in the meantime, attempting to calm down his nerves. It was a little more difficult than he initially thought since the black-haired God looked like he won’t harm him in any way.

 

“Mr. Leif, you know about my fate, right? You know that Hyukjae’s bound to kill me someday.”

 

The small dwarf chuckled, but it wasn’t the playful type. It actually sounded remorseful and deeply apologetic.

 

“I think even the giants of Jotunheim know that fact. And that’s coming from the creatures who don’t usually associate themselves to the creatures of the other realms.”

 

Donghae felt his heart drop to his stomach. “So it’s really a fact, huh? Were there any instances in the past wherein it didn’t happen? Or maybe it happened but it didn’t happen on my ancestors’ youth?”

 

“I’m not sure if you’re making any sense, kid, but even though I’ve been here for so long, I can assure you that instances like what you were trying to imply never happened at all. Why are you asking though? Are you perhaps scared, kid?”

 

Donghae bit his lips. Was he scared of his impending fate? Maybe he really was scared but was even more afraid to admit it. But what if it wasn’t fear that’s on his heart? What if it’s something else?

 

He shook his head. “I don’t know, Mr. Leif. I don’t think I am scared though. I just...,” Donghae avoided the inquiring eyes of the small creature and just focused his gaze on the magnificent lake. “I have dreams, you know. Big dreams actually, not for me but for the people of Eastern Asgard. Even though my two fathers don’t really expect much from me since they know what’s going to happen to their son, but what about the younger people of the East? What about those who look up to me and expect me to do something for them? I don’t want to disappoint anyone, Mr. Leif. I don’t want to disappoint my people, but I also don’t want to disappoint dear Odin. If it’s His words against mine, what could a mere God like me do?”

 

Talking about what’s been bothering him probably since the day he had first started thinking critically felt liberating.

 

“I’m disappointed I guess. I’m not scared, that I’m sure of. It’s just so unfortunate that this inevitability would drive me to disappoint everyone.”

 

Donghae felt a soft pat on his shoulder and when he looked at the dwarf, he swore he saw a proud expression on the latter’s face.

 

“Do you know what I’ve noticed for the past years since I’ve resided here at the academy? I’ve noticed that all of Baldur’s descendants died with integrity and honor written on their faces. Yes, it is unfortunate that your family’s history is so ed up just because of a greedy God but YOU are not your ancestors, Donghae. Make a difference, kid. That way you won’t disappoint anyone, especially yourself. Fight. Fight with everything you have and write your own history. Don’t let a spoiled brat God put a period on your life. It isn’t his life, it’s yours. And who knows, kid? Maybe there are people out there who are willing to change what was carved on the stones. Maybe there are people out there who are willing to put their lives on the line just to protect you. And who the hell knows, right? Maybe unlike his ancestors, that spoiled brat God himself has a heart.”

 

Make a difference?

 

But how?

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae woke up with a loud yawn, feeling quite lightheaded yet well-rested. He stretched his arms upward and realized that he was still in that damp swamp of the grumpy, intolerable dwarf. He roamed his eyes around and sighed in relief as the even more intolerable God of Innocence was nowhere to be seen.

 

A small series of coughs broke him from his trance and found the grumpy dwarf on top of the large rock in front of him with his tiny hands on his tiny waist. He looked—well, grumpy.

 

“Glad you finally woke up, your majesty! Now get up and get out of my swamp. It’s past dusk already. It’s about time you get out of my sight and find someone else to bother.”

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and stretched his legs when he caught a glimpse of blue cloth on the ground. He assumed it was what was covering him while he was asleep but managed to fall off when he woke up.

 

He grinned at the small dwarf, now sitting with his legs crossed still on the same rock. “I didn’t know you care for me, Leif. I’m touched,” and he faked wiping tears on his eyes.

 

Leif scoffed, throwing pebbles in his direction. “Oh, you know how to feel touched? Shocker! And as if I have it in this small body to feel sympathy towards you. It was Donghae’s. He even ran back and forth to his dorm to get you that blanket. Said he didn’t want you to catch a cold or something. Told him it was useless but that kid can really be stubborn—I’m babbling nonsense. Anyway, he could have had easily attack you earlier with your guard down like that but he insisted to take care of you instead. What I wanted to say is that make sure to return his blanket and at least thank him even though you don’t mean it. He deserves that much at least.”

 

 

 

The sound of the battles happening was loud, attacking with the heavy grunts of pain for his attention. It sent deep tingles and chills throughout his whole body, only adding the bubbling excitement blooming on his chest with the thought of being shed. Lots of it. Lots and lots of blood.

 

Today was the weekly assessment for the Special Gods regarding what they have learned in their special combat class. The God of War, Kyuhyun, and the God of Strength, Kangin were now inside the mini arena, battling like their lives depended on it. It was already the fourth battle for the first round since it was on a step-ladder format. The winners of each round would face against each other, same as the losers.

 

Yesung and Leeteuk battled first and the former immediately defeated the God of Fertility. The second battle was rather a close one, but after almost half an hour of exchanging blows, Sungmin defeated Ryeowook. The third one, just like the first, was an easy match between Heechul and Hangeng with the former overpowering the latter.

 

Currently, Kyuhyun and Kangin were engaged in a close fight but he noticed how the God of War was starting to feel worn out. The God of Strength obviously had the upper hand at the moment.

 

Ten minutes had passed when they all saw how Kyuhyun dropped to the ground, blood all over his face. Their instructor pulled Kangin away and declared that he had won. Kangin, Sungmin, and the others immediately came to the aid of the youngest Special God, just like what they had been doing every time a match ended.

 

He heard a soft gasp from his left side and watched in slight amusement as the innocent God was once again close to tears. Donghae had his hands clasped together near his chest as he looked terrified.

 

Hyukjae scoffed and shook his head. Soon it would be their turn to battle it out on the field and how could he give it his all when his opponent was no other than the descendant of Baldur? The innocent God was obviously weak not just physically but emotionally. It was like fighting with a child that just learned how to walk and speak.

 

He was actually yearning for some more action and thrill but Odin apparently had other plans with him.

 

“Last match for the first round, Baldur’s descendant, Donghae against Loki’s descendant, Hyukjae. Please step inside the arena.”

 

Hyukjae watched cunningly as he looked at his opponent. Donghae resembled a lost puppy and looked like he totally didn’t belong in a fight. He cracked his knuckles and smiled in satisfaction as Donghae took few steps away from him.

 

This is going to be an easy fight, he thought.

 

“YOU CAN DO THIS, DONGHAE!”

 

“YEAH! TAKE HIM DOWN.”

 

“DON’T KILL THE KID, HYUKJAE.”

 

“HYUKJAE, MERCY FOR DONGHAE HYUNG PLEASE.”

 

He was no longer aware of who was saying who, who was cheering who, all he could see at the moment was his opponent and his opponent alone. Hyukjae prepared to launch a fist attack when Donghae looked at him with those mesmerizing blue eyes.

 

“Do we really have to do this, Hyukjae?” the innocent God asked, and Hyukjae reminded himself to focus.

 

“Can’t I just concede, Hyukjae? I...I really don’t want to fight.”

 

Hyukjae felt his blood boil. “Shut up! This is not how this works, you dumb God. Now attack me so we can get this done.”

 

Donghae’s face morphed into fear. “But I don’t want—”

 

Hyukjae clenched his fists as he stepped closer to his opponent. This was harder than he initially thought. He couldn’t believe he was doing this. He stepped even more closely and pretended like he was sizing up Donghae when he whispered to his ears.

 

“Just...just brace yourself for one punch and pretend to faint or something. That way there will be a reason for this match to end fast.”

 

Hyukjae was prepared for anything but he wasn’t quite prepared for Donghae’s eyes to twinkle as the latter smiled gratefully at him.

 

“You will do that for me?”

 

He groaned, “Do you want me to really beat the living out of you?”

 

“Hyukjae...I...I don’t know what to say. Thank you so much. Just don’t punch me too hard, please. I have a low tolerance for pain.”

 

Yeah. That much is obvious, stupid God.

 

“This is the first and last time, Lee Donghae. Next time I would really beat the crap out of you.”

 

He saw Donghae heaved out a sigh as he closed his eyes shut. “Do it,” he mouthed.

 

It took everything for Hyukjae to control his strength as he delivered one solid blow on Donghae’s stomach. He watched as the innocent God fell on his back, eyes shut, and breath hitched. Hyukjae wasn’t sure if the other was acting like they had planned or he got carried away and truly knocked him out.

 

He kneeled beside the other and whispered, “Least I can do for taking care of me yesterday.” He stood up and faced the other Gods and their instructor.

 

“He’s out cold. Take him to the infirmary.”

 

 

 

Hyukjae exited the arena after his name was moved to the semi-finals. The second round both for the winners and losers would begin in a few minutes and he knew he won’t be needed there at least for the next few hours.

 

He was traversing the corridor to their locker room when someone stopped him in his tracks. The other was unfamiliar to him and if his intuition was correct, he was an underclassman.

 

“Special God Hyukjae, someone asked me to give you this letter.” And the underclassman handed me an all-too-familiar piece of envelope with an all-too-familiar wax seal.

 

Silver roof. Gold pillars.

 

Hyukjae’s eyes twitched. “Who handed you this letter?”

 

“I failed to see the face of the sender. He is dressed in a thick cloak that covers his entire body and face. Forgive me, Special God Hyukjae,” the boy formally bowed and his body was noticeably trembling perhaps in fear.

 

He snatched the letter away. “Scram!”

 

With a final bow, he was left alone in the corridor with nothing but a familiar piece of paper.

 

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I saw what you did there, Lee

Are you now with us too?