III: The Eye Mirrors the Soul

Shin High School of Gods

 

“He with a short knife

Must try, try again.”

Vápnfirðinga saga 

 

 

Sitting down cross-legged on top of his bed without any bother to take his shoes off, the God of Innocence stared openly at the fussing blonde-haired God. 

 

“Sungmin hyung, what are you doing?” He curiously asked the fretting God who was fixing things and doing chores all at once inside their shared room.

 

“I’m trying to make this room as comfortable to you as possible. Just relax there and sleep if you want. I’ll finish this in no time,” Sungmin gave him a warm smile in which he gladly returned. The older God was really kind and gentle especially to him. 

 

“I’ll be fine, hyung. No need to tire yourself out. I can adjust to any type of surroundings.”

 

“But you are injured, Hae-yah. Just rest and let hyung do this.” And he silently watched as the older started manipulating some house plants neatly placed on the corner of the room. He watched amusingly as beams of green and brown lights started coming out of the God of Nature’s hands.

 

“Woah! That’s awesome, hyung.”

 

Sungmin glanced briefly at him. “I know, right? Is your stomach still aching?” Worry and concern immediately replaced the joy in the older’s voice.

 

Donghae’s fingers grasped tightly his still upset stomach which was slightly damaged by the mishap that took place earlier in the cafeteria. He knew at once that it was Aqua Tofana which caused all the disorder but he was too weak to even start a healing potion. Thankfully, the little God of Wisdom managed to save them all just in time.

 

“I’m good, hyung. It stopped hurting hours ago. It’s just unfortunate that they canceled the whole afternoon classes.”

 

“That’s because almost three-fourths of the students’ population turned out to have upset stomachs. You’re all lucky the poison was not that extreme.” 

 

Donghae gratefully accepted the palm-sized succulent that the blonde-haired God was offering him. He meticulously let his finger traced the adorable little potty plant and smiled adorably at his new hyung. 

 

“I apologize on behalf of Hyukjae, kiddo.”

 

The older’s statement made the God of Innocence frown. Something was definitely up with that God of Mischief but Donghae could not decipher what. Nothing was wrong with his mischievous attitude since he obviously came from one of the most cunning bloodlines and nothing could change his trait, but something about him made Donghae wonder. The black-haired God seemed like he was holding a special grudge against him. 

 

Donghae’s hazelnut brown eyes met Sungmin’s. “Why are you apologizing in his stead, hyung? If he wanted to apologize, he should do it himself.”

 

Sungmin ruffled his auburn hair playfully, “Baldur will be so proud of you, kid. You really are the God of Innocence. No more questions about that.”

 

“I don’t understand, hyung.”

 

Donghae slightly moved to the side when the older gently ushered him for a space to sit in. “Hyukjae...” Sungmin started. “...the academy was so sure that Hyukjae appeared to be the most special descendant of the original God of Mischief so far. Rumor has it that he resembled Loki the closest. Everyone was scared of Hyukjae, except for us, of course. Students avoided him at all costs because of his silly pranks and dangerous nature. Everywhere he goes ends up as a bloody battlefield. Hyukjae is dangerous, Donghae-yah. Trust me when I say that even if you ended up dead because of his prank earlier, he would not apologize for it.”

 

Silence filled the room. The auburn-haired God was left deep in his thoughts. Everyone around him already warned him about the mischievous God’s treachery and deceitfulness, yet Donghae was still unsure. 

 

There was no one in this world who was a hundred percent evil. His Papa and Daddy taught him when he was still a kid that everyone be it a God or a plain civilian deserves a chance to be deemed as good, decent, or nice. Even if the academy believed that Lee Hyukjae, the current God of Mischief, was the epitome of evilness, there was still some kindness and decency in him, right? 

 

However, one thing was still bothering his already bothered mind. 

 

“But Sungmin hyung, why do I feel like Hyukjae hate me to the core? He seemed to have been holding a different, more intense vendetta against me. Did you see how he almost killed me with the dagger? Why is that? I don’t understand.” He was literally pleading for answers. Donghae hated it when he felt like someone was angry at him or if someone was upset over something he did. 

 

He was expecting the older to answer seriously but he was left in shock when the God of Nature laughed. 

 

“Maybe Hyukjae is right. You really didn’t attend your Basic History, did you? Aigoo! That’s enough for the day. Let’s sleep now. We have Archery first thing tomorrow and we don’t want to be late. Master Tei isn’t someone who kids around,” the older chuckled, patting his head before hopping off his bed. 

 

“But hyung—”

 

“Good night, innocent Donghae!”

 

Donghae pouted. 

 

I still didn’t understand a thing.

 

 

 

“Good work, class! Everyone can now proceed to wash up and take your morning break.” Donghae could not help but let out a wide smile when he heard Master Tei announced it to the class. “Except for Lee Donghae.” 

 

And Donghae’s smile was then turned into a deep pout. 

 

“Donghae-yah, you failed to hit the target board for all of your attempts. You have to stay here and practice until you can hit the bullseye ten times. Understood?” the six-foot-tall archery instructor said and the auburn-haired God just nodded pitifully. 

 

“Yes, Master. I will do my best.” He answered as he reluctantly waved at his retreating classmates who were all looking at him with concern in their eyes. Their instructor followed the rest of the class and went outside the arena.

 

Physical activities such as archery were not really his thing and he just proved how awful he was during their class earlier. His arrows did not even go near the target board and he almost struck his Heechul hyung on the head with his bow. And not to mention that he almost stabbed the quiet Yesung with his arrow accidentally. He was immediately forgiven by his classmates of course but he still felt bad. His carelessness was really something he was not proud of. 

 

Looking at the target board several meters away from him, Donghae let out a loud sigh. “You can do this, Lee Donghae! Make Papa and Daddy proud!” And with a fresher mindset and a stronger resolution, he stood upright with his feet and shoulders the same width apart just like what Master Tei had taught them. He positioned his fingers on the strings with his index finger placed above the arrow. He softly sighed as he pulled back the strings with all his might as he aimed for the target: the bullseye. 

 

When the arrow was released, he watched in absolute horror as his arrow flew in an upward trajectory, completely going beyond the target board and straight into the poor cherry blossom tree at the back.

 

“Wow! You truly are a hopeless case.”

 

Donghae gasped as he heard a voice from behind. With a hand clutching his chest, he turned around and gulped. 

 

“You are doing it wrong.”

 

“Hyukjae-ssi, what are you still doing here?”

 

 

Lee Donghae, the God of Innocence, was for the lack of better words—sensitive. That much became very obvious to the God of Mischief upon observing the auburn-haired God throughout their whole archery training. It was not that he wanted to observe him but the innocent God managed to get in his nerves one way or another even without interactions. Thinking about it, he was convinced that the newly-arrived God was not just sensitive but also stupid, naïve, and truly inexperienced. Compared to all the other Special Gods, the one in front of him seemed to be the weakest link of all.

 

“Don’t pull back the strings with all of your strength. You will just send the arrow flying in an entirely different direction.”

 

With a blank face, Hyukjae leaned back against the metal railings as he strictly scrutinized the God who was obviously struggling to even hold the bow properly. It appeared to him like the stupid God weighed even lesser than the bow.

 

“Like this?” 

 

And then the naïve God proceeded to pull back the strings but it was still apparent the younger could not control his strength. What a surprise he had that much strength, to be frank. 

 

Archery was something all Gods should master and although Hyukjae was famous for ditching or simply not attending his classes, he put a premium to activities he enjoyed doing and those include archery. Since he was basically a kid, he liked activities that would force him to use his strength, skills, wits, and of course, his deception. Where did he learn all of these? His father, of course. One of the most cunning and shrewd God he had ever meet in his entire life. Like father, like son. Like the predecessor, like the successor. Well, it all started from the most cunning of all, the almighty Loki. 

 

“Am I still doing it wrong? Can you help me, Hyukjae?” 

 

The mischievous God was brought back and reminded that he was in front of one particular annoying God. Hyukjae bit back the sudden urge to punch something—or someone rather—as the descendant of Baldur is currently looking at him with puppy-like eyes and with a small pout on his lips. Hyukjae took two short steps back not in fear but more of a defensive stance. Donghae is still in fact, a God, and as much as the whole bloodline of Loki loathed the other’s clan, Baldur was still one of the most powerful Norse gods. That cute, innocent appearance of Lee Donghae might actually be a destructive power or a spell and he did not want to be unprepared. 

 

Although the God currently pouting and looking at him with pitiful eyes seemed like he would not be able to hurt a fly, Loki’s successors were always taught to be mindful of their surroundings and the individuals they came across with. 

 

Hyukjae finally turned to meet the gaze of the innocent God and for a brief moment, he once again caught a glimpse of that sapphire eyes that still looked as pretty as ever. A small part of him yearned and wanted to see those majestic globes for a long time but he controlled himself. Because aside from the fact that it was impossible for a God to control the color of their eyes, he did not want the other to think he already acknowledged his presence and existence in the academy. 

 

Just then, Donghae gasped and pointed at him. “Hyukjae, your eyes! They are color red,” the God exclaimed, and even before Hyukjae could retaliate, the latter was already in front of him—just a mere footstep away. 

 

What in Hel’s name is wrong with this guy?!

 

Hyukjae blinked three times, trying to get rid of the color. However, the innocent God just cooed even more. 

 

“So pretty, Hyukjae! Look! They are still red,” Donghae pointed out, making an attempt to touch his face but before the younger God could even get in contact, Hyukjae swatted his hand away. It was not really his full intention to hurt the guy but his instincts made him react that way. 

 

“It hurts, Hyukjae. You’re so mean,” the God whined and Hyukjae rolled his eyes at the act of childishness being displayed in front of him. “Oh, look! Your eyes returned to their original color. What a shame! Your irises are very pretty.” 

 

Hyukjae sighed in relief. Good. It seems like he’s not aware of the indications of these orb transformations. 

 

Only those Special Gods who came from powerful bloodlines have the ability to transform the original color of their eyes to a special color that resembles their personalities and ancestries. There were only two known dichotomized reasons for why Gods undergo an orb transformation. First is when their powers or traits are in full force. Every time Hyukjae’s trickery is at the highest level, his eyes would turn to ruby red. And the next reason which rarely happens to him is when the Special Gods are in their weakest and most vulnerable states. 

 

Within the two months he had spent with the other Special Gods, Hyukjae already witnessed and memorized their transformations and tendencies. He deemed those information crucial as he might need those in the future to destroy the others. Hyukjae’s copper brown eyes turn to ruby red which signifies burning passion and scorching schemes. Ryeowook’s turn to bright lime green signifying high energy and logical thinking. Leeteuk’s turn to magenta pink as they indicate softness and an affectionate heart. Sungmin’s eyes turn to emerald green signifying nature’s call and vitality. Yesung’s eyes turn to light gray which comes from extreme solitude and keen judgment. Kyuhyun’s eyes turn to canary yellow signifying high battle alert and skillful swordsmanship. And lastly, Kangin’s eyes turn to dark purple which symbolizes his extreme effort and threatening courage. 

 

Hyukjae was still uncertain regarding the orb transformations of the three newly-arrived Gods but it had been his second time witnessing the God of Innocence’s transformation. 

 

What confused the God of Mischief, however, was the fact that he, himself had transformed thrice now in front of the innocent God. First was the moment the three new Gods introduced themselves, second was in the cafeteria, and third was the incident earlier. It was confusing to him when he did not even use any powers or spells in all incidents. Because of that, it could only mean one thing: vulnerability in the presence of Baldur’s successor. 

 

But, why? 

 

Maybe that was for him to find out. He could instantly search and ask Ryeowook for answers but his pride prevented him from doing so. 

 

“Hyukjae, stop spacing out on me. It’s rude.” 

 

The God of Mischief, still with his mind in shambles, managed to blurt out a stoic, “What do you want?”

 

“Will you teach me archery?” 

 

Hyukjae clenched his fists inside the pocket of his cloak. He was unsure what kind of power the younger God was using against him but he must not yield. Yielding was for the weaklings. And with a strong resolution and a blank face, he pushed the other God out of his way. 

 

“No.”