Chapter 2

My Hamster Named Wendy

"Oh sure. My name is Wendy, but you can call me Seungwan." Seungwan said this while winking greasily and doing a tiny finger gun. Seulgi suggested that the best way for her to impress the pretty bubble tea worker was to just be herself. So with full confidence, that is exactly what she did.

Irene tilted her head. "Are you hitting on me right now?"

The tone at which she said it made Seungwan snap out of her act. "Um...maybe?"

When it got quiet and she realized that the pretty bubble tea worker, named Irene according to her nametag, was not replying but simply staring at her, she began to panic. "U-uh or no! Honestly, Wendy works too! Whatever is easier to write..." The younger girl's ears turned red at how embarrassed she currently feels. She ducked her head and avoided eye contact while trying to collect her change and receipt.

Irene, feeling the goosebumps on her arms from the second-hand embarrassment, chuckled inwardly at this interesting customer. "Sure, Wendy it is. Please give me a moment. I'll let you know when your order is ready." The dark haired girl turned back around and began preparing the drinks, allowing Seungwan to finally breathe and retreat back to her table, ears down and tail between her legs.

"Hey buddy! How'd it go?? What'd she say?" Seulgi excitedly looked to her best friend, eyes twinkling. 

Seungwan simply dropped her head onto the table. "I ruined it. Royally. She asked if I was hitting on her, and didn't seem to appreciate the fact that I was." 

"Really? Aww man...well I mean...on the bright side, it could've gone over worse! Irene's notorious for rejecting everybody since she's so studious. She's not the campus brain and beauty for no reason you know?" 

At this the blonde flipped her head back up. "Wait, she's THAT Bae Irene!? Oh my god why didn't you tell me!? Now she probably thinks I'm some greasy weirdo!"

Seungwan groaned loudly and reached over to pull at Seulgi's hoodie strings, effectively trapping her face in the darkness of the fabric. "Waaah! I'm sorry! You just sounded so interested and I thought you had a really good chance!"

"Idiot! I can't stand a chance at anything if she's not even interested in dating right now..."

The bear-like girl whined until Seugnwan let go of the strings. She fixed her hoodie, smiling cutely while poking Seungwan's angry, puffy cheeks. "Come on Wannie...If there's anybody who can sweep the goddess off her feet, I figured it would have to be my GentleWan here."

"Whatever, you bear." 

They both sighed and sat quietly for a moment, simply catching the shorter girl up on other things she missed out on while she was abroad. Aside from finally seeing and meeting the famous Bae Irene "campus queen" in person, she was also updated about the new study lounges and dance studio that their uni just finished constructing, as well as all the fresh tea on Professor Kim's private life.

"An order for Wendy? One grapefruit green tea lemonade, and one black milk tea?"

Seungwan practically launches herself out of her seat hearing her name so suddenly. She tries to calm her heart and then makes her way back to the counter.

"Here you are. And your straws." Irene's dainty hands handed the drinks over, stepping back to grab a towel and wipe the counter.

"Ah yes, thank you..." The blonde avoided all eye contact, but bowed her head softly before turning around.

"Hey," Irene called out to the other girl before she could go back to her seat, "I'm sorry, but I'm not really looking for anyone at this time."

Seungwan's shoulders slouched slightly. "That's okay...I understand."

"I really like your name though. It's cute. Wendy." 

The dark haired girl saw the tips of Seungwan's ears go red. She looked back briefly and fumbled over her next words.

"Oh! Thank you! I um- I think your name is really neat too!" Lifting a finger she pointed at the older girl's nametag. "Irene! Like the Goddess of peace haha.." The blonde realized that she was being embarrassing again and bowed once more before retreating to her seat, where a laughing Seulgi sat watching the entire exchange.

Faintly Irene could hear the girl's friend chant "S-moothWan! S-moothWan! S-moothWan!!" in a joking manner, while poking the blonde's bubble tea-filled cheeks again.

---

"Unnie, have you decided what we should call hamster yet?" Sooyoung was busy feeding "hamster" some fresh broccoli, chewing happily as it indulges in the crunchy vegetable. "I gave you a whole bunch of ideas but you didn't like any of them. Plus it's been a week now, and we can't just keep calling her hamster."

"In my humble opinion, your name ideas such as Speed Demon and Dynamite Princess, were not very good."

"Hey!! You've never seen it but she is really fast on the wheel! And do you have any better ideas?" 

Irene thought about it for a moment. She looked at the still smol hamster happily chewing away. Its puffy cheeks reminding her of something (or someone?).

"Wendy. Let's call her Wendy."

"Wen-dy? Why Wendy? I didn't know our hamster was a foreigner." Sooyoung joked by herself while pretending to give a high-five to the tiny animal, but then getting ignored by it.

The older girl shrugged. "No special reason. I heard it somewhere and liked the sound of it."

Sooyoung cheered as she stood up and dusted off her lap. "Well, Wendy it is then!" 

The two together looked at hamster Wendy, now greedily drinking up all the water from the straw of her bottle.

---

Finding a seat in the large auditorium was never a big issue. Since the professor recorded all lectures, there was a good number of students in the class that just never showed up. But for some reason today, the class was fuller than usual, and someone came and took her usual seat.

Although slightly annoyed, Irene just changed her direction and found one open seat near the front that wouldn't require her to climb over or slide between anyone. She settled her things down and saw that there was a bag and some notebooks already placed neatly on the seat next to her, but didn't think much of it.

A few minutes in before the lecture was about to begin, a blonde haired girl bursted through the back door. With her coffee in hand, she hurriedly made her way down the steps to her spot.

Seeing someone next to her seat, she carefully slid behind the girl and finally settled in. Turning to greet her new seat mate, her words got caught in seeing the goddess in front of her again so closely.

Irene felt someone staring when she turned her head, and saw the familiar face. 

"Oh! It's you. Hello again." 

"Huh? Oh yeah! Hi..."

Real smooth, dang keep it cool Wan. 

Seungwan flipped open her notebook and clicked her pen, trying to minimize the eye contact. "I didn't know that we were in the same class haha..."

The dark haired girl nodded while also getting her own writing utensils out. "Mm, I usually sit in the back, but somone took my seat today. Hope you don't mind me joining you here for now?"

"Ah no, not at all! You can sit wherever you like. Heck, can even have my seat if you want it." Seungwan joked playfully, finding it easier to talk to Irene when she wasn't getting lost in the other girl's eyes.

Irene laughed at the girl's laid back attitude, different from the fake and plastered smiles most people sent her way. It also contrasted greatly with her first impression of the girl, which was a fumbling, nervous wreck. 

"I um- I'm also sorry if my previous poor attempt at flirting made you uncomfortable...I hope that it didn't bother you too much..." 

And there it is. Irene thought to herself.

"Oh, it didn't bother me. I was just surprised that you were being so forward about it is all. And it was...kind of greasy."

Seungwan laughed nervously, scratching her nape. "Ahaha I get that a lot...I also kind of tend to act before thinking for a lot of things. But...if you don't mind, how about we start over?" She extended her hand for handshake. "Hi, my name is Wendy, but you can just call me Seungwan." She chuckled at her lame joke, but grinned widely when Irene took and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Seungwan. My name is Irene."

---

Finally coming home after a long day, Irene approached the hamster cage. She observed as the small animal was jogging along the wheel in an excited and happy manner. The girl's sudden appearance shocked it a bit making it pause its run and stare, but after realizing who it was, the hamster turned away and simply carried on.

"Oh geez, sorry. Guess I scare you as much as you scare me." 

Finding some bravery, she went to Wendy's toy box and retrieved the climbing rope bridge she assembled by herself. Bringing it over, she carefully opened the top of the cage. Although a part of her was worried she would startle the hamster again, which in turn would startle her, she hoped the hamster held enough trust in her and placed the new toy down. 

"Here you go, Wendy-ah."

She pulled her arm back out and swiftly locked the cage, but smiled when she saw Wendy stop her run and hop over to the bridge to climb it.

---

Just after a few classes together, the two quickly became more comfortable with each other's presence. Irene changed her unassigned-assigned seat to be the one next to Seungwan after the younger girl claimed she's always first to get in the class and can save the extra seat. While the move brought more unwanted attention to the blonde, as she felt the daggers of envy and curiosity hit the back of her head, she was just happy to have another nice friend around aside from Seulgi.

From their before lecture talks, the older girl learns that Seungwan had been studying abroad in Canada the past year and just returned to campus recently. She was also fluent in English since she also already spent time in America when she was young, hence the name "Wendy." Being able to converse so leisurely, made Seungwan almost, almost, forget that she sort of got rejected by Irene. But for the sake of their new pleasant friendship, she decided to push those thoughts behind her. She also insisted on calling Irene unnie, when she found out that the girl was actually in fact a year older than her.

The blonde had just come out of her last class, and stood by the exit of the building. Watching the rain gradually increase from its earlier drizzle, she swung her backpack around and pulled out her handy blue umbrella. As she was about to take a step into the light shower, she spotted a small and slightly fidgeting figure from the corner of her eye.

Irene was definitely not expecting rain today, forgetting her umbrella, and also mistakenly wearing a nice white blouse that will definitely turn transparent when soaked. She knew that there were eyes on her, specifically those of the male species, just waiting for her to make a run for it in the rain. Although she really needed to get to work, her car was parked all the way on the far side of the lot. She worried about not only getting her books and laptop drenched, but also accidentally exposing herself in the process. 

Seungwan saw the distressed look on the other girl's face and jogged back over to where Irene stood. "Hey, unnie! Need a ride?" 

The dark haired girl fluttered her eyes in surprise seeing the short-haired girl anywhere else outside of their classes. "Oh Seungwan. I'm okay, I also brought my own car here. It's just parked a little far so I'm thinking about how long it'll take for me to get through."

Seungwan nodded, but then saw how the girl held her bag tightly in front of her chest. "Hmm, did you forget your umbrella? Then here, take mine!" She held Irene's small wrist and made her hold onto the handle of the umbrella. 

"What? No, but what about you?" Irene panicked seeing the younger girl already walking backwards into the rain. 

"It's fine! My car is right here, and you need it more than I do. You can just return it to me tomorrow before class okay?"

The blonde haired girl smiled before waving goodbye and dashing through the water, immediately getting her soft hair soaked when she pulled up her hood too late. After frantically searching for what felt like forever, she finally found her keys in her pocket and then entered the safety of her vehicle. In a quick move, she slicked her wet hair back, and gave a thumbs up to let her know she was okay.

Irene was left at a loss for words at the kind but kind of crazy gesture by the younger girl. She nonetheless waved back, and then smiled while looking at the baby blue umbrella, allowing it to help her walk her way to her own car.

---

"Unnie, it's your turn to clean Wendy's cage. Do you need my help to take her out first?" Sooyoung asked while she brought out the necessary supplies.

"Yes please, that would be good." The older girl set aside her work for the moment and got ready to clean.

"Haha! Unnie come check this out. I think Wendy accidentally tipped her water bowl over and got her head a little wet." The taller girl grabbed a soft towel and tried to help gently dry the sad hamster. "Aww I'm so sorry that happened Wen, guess we'll just stick to using the water bottle after all."

Irene immediately ran over to check on the hamster, thankful that it was doing fine despite its fur having gotten smoothed over by the water. "Yeah, no more water bowls."

Sooyoung held Wendy close to her eye level, and squealed while showing her unnie. "She's so cute! It almost looks like she's grinning at us." 

The older girl chuckled. "Yeah, Wendy is cute." 

---

The next time they meet outside of class, it's off-campus for a pre-exam study session. They picked Saturday, a day when the older girl doesn't have any work. Although Seungwan knows this isn't a date, a small part of her can't help but wish it was.

The girl shook her head a few times, before readjusting the collar of her shirt under her white sweater. Even though it wasn't a date, it wouldn't hurt to try looking a little nice right?

She waitied patiently for Irene to arrive, and when the girl did, her jaw almost dropped. The older girl wasn't actually dressed in anything too fancy honestly, but just seeing her wearing denim shorts and a simple white t-shirt, did bad things for Seugnwan's poor heart. 

Stop beating so fast! She just sees you as a friend! The girl tried to tell herself while calming down.

"Hey! Sorry I kept you waiting. You ready to go?" The beauty waved her hand in front of Seungwan's frozen face, snapping her out of her trance.

"Ah yeah! No worries, I didn't wait too long. Let's get going then."

The plan was to study for a few hours at a cafe, that wasn't the bubble tea store that Irene was very tired of seeing, and then eat a light street food dinner as a reward for their hard work.

"Wah, you're really smart Seungwan. It was a good choice agreeing to study with you." The dark-haired girl nodded to herself while taking down more notes.

"Wow unnie I'm hurt. Are you just using me then?" The short-haired girl fake cried into her hands while Irene just snickered.

"Haha, yeah, I am." 

Seungwan gasped and crossed her arms over her chest. "Meanie."

The pair tried to study for just a bit longer than they had planned, but the sound of rumbling from Irene's stomach, much to the older girl's embarrassment, let them know that it was time for them to go.

---

They walked together through the food market just as the store owners finished setting up their tents. After picking out a few things, they found a nice table nearby to settle their things. As they were eating, Seungwan noticed some people staring at Irene as they passed, more specifically at her exposed legs under the table. The girl would also constantly shift here and there whenever a large group would walk by.

Curse those shorts...

She was reminded to that time when Irene looked a bit uncomfortable trying to wait out the rain with everyone looking at her, and thought of a fast solution. Taking off her sweater, she handed it over to the confused girl.

"Unnie, are your legs cold? Here, use this to cover them."

Irene took the sweater a little reluctantly. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah! I'm getting kind of warm anyways from all the hot food so, could you just hold onto it for me?"

The dark haired girl smiled, her eyes bright, as she neatly folded the sweater over her legs. "Mmm, thanks Seungwan-ah."

Seungwan, as bright as she is, failed to notice the tone of endearment that came with her name. Irene also did not realize just how fondly she called the girl's name.

---

One would not think that such a petite girl like Irene could eat as much as she did, but one large bowl of ramyun and a heavy serving of spicy rice cakes later, Seungwan sees that her initial assumptions were very flawed. The blonde herself was chewing fondly on her fish cake stick, stuffing her cheeks full, humming a happy tone at the flavor. The older girl seeing this laughed at how funny Seungwan's face looked in that moment. 

"Hey, slow down. The fish isn't going to swim anywhere else any time soon." She picked up a napkin and handed it over.

"I could say the same for you. The spicy rice cakes are already halfway gone!"

"Well we agreed to share this one, but you weren't fast enough. So it sounds more like a 'you' problem to me." Irene laughed at her own joke as she continued to devour all the spicy red goodness.

"Okay okay! Whatever. I raise my white flag to the spicy rice cake queen, oh mighty one." Seungwan jokingly bowed her head, pretending the other girl was some food stall royalty, not missing the warning look the other girl gave her. After finishing her last fish cake stick, she dusted off her hands and stood up.

"Alright, I'm gonna go buy some more kimbap to bring back for my roommate. Was there anything else you wanted?"

Irene sipped her drink while thinking. "No, I already got some things earlier to bring home right here." She patted the small container next to her and then began to pick up their trash. "I'll just clean up the table and then wait for you."

"Okay! Be back in a bit." The blonde haired girl took out her wallet, and made a bee line directly to the kimbap stall, waiting patiently. Meanwhile Irene also got up, wrapping Seungwan's sweater around her waist, satisfied with its extra sense of protection, to go throw out their trash. When she came back and looked to see how far along the other girl was in the queue, she noticed that there was another girl standing very intimately next to her, and whispering in her ear over the loud noises. 

The stranger looked pretty, much taller than Seungwan, and also sported a blonde hair color under her black beret.

As she waited, she leaned her back against the table, unknowingly continuing to watch their small exchange. When she saw the taller girl give Seungwan a tight hug and a quick kiss on her squishy cheek, causing the younger girl to blush a deep red, she raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms.

-----

AN: Here is the next chapter! My biggest concern with writing smaller chaptered stories is the pacing and working on time skips, so I hope I did it alright here. This chapter was over 3000 words long to make up for the lack of actual wenrene interaction first chapter, so I did my best to deliver :) I think chapter 3 will probably be the last chapter for this story sadly. Although we have a very good idea of what's going through gentlewan's mind, I'm sure you guys are all curious about what Irene is thinking too right?

So until then! Thank you for reading and commenting! I enjoy replying back to you guys haha

OH also, if anyone has any interesting ideas for another wenrene fic, I would love to hear them! I have some of my own ideas already, but I'm curious to know what other people are thinking or wanna read :)