Chapter 1

My Hamster Named Wendy

I had this idea for a while, and didn't see anyone doing it so...here it is! 

---

"Haetnim~ come here my princess!" A tall, slender figure is sprawled out across the floor, calling for her maltese fluff ball.

The sound of tiny paws pad across the hardwood floor, yipping cutely to the delight of the girl.

"Aww you're so precious. What a cutie!" She continues to play with and tickle the tiny pup, until Haetnim discovers a new source of interest enter the living room. The puppy quickly changes her course of direction and runs up to the poor, unsuspecting woman carrying her fresh laundry basket.

"Hey, Sooyoung-ah so I finished get- Huh?? Omo! Ahhhhh!"  The dark haired girl let out a loud ear piercing scream hitting Sooyoung's (and Haetnim's) eardrums, as she tried dancing around and away from the now even more excitied dog.

"Ahhh! Park Sooyoung! Get it away!" 

"Oh shoot, oops!" Sooyoung scrambles to her feet and scoops up her puppy in her arms, taking her to the far corner of the room opposite of Irene. 

"Are you okay unnie?! I'm sorry, I didn't know you were home! My parents had asked if I could just watch Haetnim for a bit today while they're out..." Feeling apologetic for scaring her dear unnie, she looks up to see Irene, her face red and hair a mess from all the frantic running. The laundry itself still folded immaculately in its neat basket.

Irene recovers her breathing while holding the basket closer to her chest, preparing to make a run for her room. "I-It's...okay. I'm fine. Just please give me a warning next time. You know I'm not very good with dogs, or animals in general for that matter." 

Sooyoung pouts while snuggling Haetnim. "Haetnim is sorry too..." Irene looks back at the two and gives a small smile, before hurrying away.

"Geez Haetnim, what should I do? You are so adorable, why can't unnie see it? I think we need to do something about this."

---

"You know, Irene unnie might actually kill me for this one. I just sent her the message. Why did I bother listening to your advice?" Sooyoung shifts side to side in front of her apartment, hands clasped tightly to the handle of the pet carrier. 

Yerim just laughs heartily while helping to open the door. "No she won't! Remember you are doing this to help her. And hamsters are tiny. They're basically harmless. What could go wrong?" 

"A lot could go wrong!"

"Hey! You know what? If I was able to get over my fears eventually, then so can she." The smaller girl finishes dropping off all the pet food and supplies needed on the counter. "Here is its little wheel thing, the cage, and some other small toys you can have unnie assemble. You're lucky I was able to get you a discount on all this. See how useful I am!" Yerim did a small hair flip while turning on her heel for the door.

"That's only cause you used to date the manager there. I'm surprised she didn't charge me 15% extra for the heartbreak."

"It was a mutual breakup alright! Ugh whatever...Good luck and let me know how it goes!"

"Thanks Satan, will do." Yerim stuck out her tongue in annoyance before making her grand exit.

After finally rearranging everything in a nice corner of the room, Sooyoung finally gets the phone call of terror that she has been dreading.

Quickly clearing , she presses accept. "Hello-"

"YAH! Park Sooyoung! What did I say about bringing animals into our apartment!?"

"You said to tell you ahead of time! So I did!"

"That does not mean I am okay with you keeping one there! I am already on my way home. The animal better be gone or out of my sight."

"It's a hamster unnie! Super tiny, very cute. Not dangerous at all, come on give it a chance! I thought it might help you face your fears..."

Irene's angry front slowly started to break hearing the sincerity in the younger girl's voice. She realized that this was not just one of Sooyoung's many pranks, but simply one of her strange ways in showing she cares.

A loud sigh came out of the other side of the call, before Irene spoke again. "Alright. Once I come home I'll humor you with your little plan. But the moment I feel like I can't handle it, it will either stay in your room away from me, or you return it from where you got it."

Hearing this, Sooyoung punched the air in joy. "Yes! I can't wait for you to see her!"

---

Irene is currently hiding behind the couch as Sooyoung properly reveals the tiny, orange and white hamster from its carrier. She holds it gently, while letting it move into its cage.

"How are we gonna take care of it? Break ends soon and we'll both have classes during the day, plus work."

"I think once it gets used to the environment it should be okay staying alone for a few hours. And our classes start and end around different times, so we could alternate checking on it." 

"Are you positive it won't bite?"

"Unnie, all things with teeth will be capable of biting."

Eyes widening in shock, the older girl slowly starts backing away. 

"But hamsters like these won't have it in their nature! Only if you provoke them! See, she's real sweet isn't she?" Sooyoung closed the cage's gate and went to drag Irene back to look at the little furry animal.

With her shaking arms trapped by Sooyoung, Irene peeks an eye open and takes a look. The cute little hamster simply looking up then back down to munch on the chopped piece of carrot, its cheeks becoming fluffy and full.

"It's..kinda cute I guess." She opens both eyes and her shaking slowly stops, the younger girl letting go of her arms and simply hugging Irene from behind.

A wide smile breaks out along Sooyoung's features, as she starts to think that maybe this plan will work after all.

---

Days go by with Sooyoung and Irene (mainly Sooyoung or Irene with the help of Sooyoung), taking turns to feed and play with the hamster. Thanks to the power of the internet, the two both learned about how to properly care for the pet and help familiarize it with its new home. While Irene improved greatly in becoming more comfortable around the smaller animal, she still was not able to touch it and became spooked whenever it made any sudden quick movements. She preferred sitting to the side and watching from afar, while working to build and assemble more toys for it.

"Okay Sooyoung-ie, I have to head over to work now. Did you want anything to drink after I come back?"

"Taro smoothie please~ with the pearls~." Sooyoung grinned cutely from her spot next to the hamster cage, trying to display her aegyo to the older woman.

Irene chuckled softly as she moved to grab her keys. "Yes~ be good until I return. And please don't surprise me with any more animals."

"Okay mom~."

"I don't have a daughter like you."  

---

The bubble tea shop near the campus downtown is a hot spot for students and business folk alike, always busy and bustling. Rush hour had just passed, and while the work is taxing, Irene doesn't mind since it pays the bills plus provides complimentary drinks.

"One strawberry milk tea and an earl grey for miss Sooyeon!"

An elegant and sophisticated looking woman stood up from her table and walked over to retrieve her drinks. "Ah yes! Thank you very much." 

Irene gave a small smile after she finished handing the drinks and straws over to the customer. As she was waiting patiently for the next order to be called, she felt a tap on her shoulder from her fellow coworker.

"Hey Irene, mind if you take the register for me real quick? I forgot that I left the pearls cooking in the back. It'll be just a second!"

At this she nodded her head and briskly moved to stand by the computer. "Yeah sure, no problem. It's not busy right now anyways, I'm sure I can handle it."

After properly manning the register, the door bell chimed signaling the arrival of some new customers. Both were women, one with light blonde, short hair and a cute nose, the other a bit taller with black hair and bear-like features. Irene watched as they pushed and shoved each other around playfully before finally settling their things down at a nearby table. The blonde looked over and made eye contact, appearing stunned for just a moment before shaking her head and turning back to her friend to confirm their orders. 

Irene saw the duo speak briefly in hushed whispers, with the bear-like friend reaching out to quickly fix the blonde's fringe. Once satisfied with how it looked, she patted the blonde on her back and pumped her fist in an encouraging manner, and sent the girl to walk over to the register. 

The dark haired woman raised an eyebrow at that, before switching back to her best service smile. "Hi welcome, what would you like?"

"H-Huh? Oh..hmm...can I have..." The other girl leaned slightly on the counter while scanning the menu. After thinking for a moment, she finally looked back at Irene and gave a small, fluffy cheeked smile while answering. "...one grapefruit green tea lemonade, 30% sugar...and one black milk tea, both with pearls please?"  

Irene was not expecting to be blinded by such a cute smile, but nonetheless recovered. "Of course, this will be your total. Can I get a name for the order?"

"Oh sure. My name is Wendy, but you can call me Seungwan." 

-----

AN: Haha sorry to introduce wannie so late in the chapter. I changed my mind and decided that this will probably be around 2 or 3 chapters long. Let me know what you guys thought of this and if there are any mistakes or issues I didn't catch! Until next read :)