Chapter 5

My Hamster Named Wendy

"Ohh~ her name? Oh..um..it's...it's uhhh-"

"Wendy, baby! I'm home!"

Park Sooyoung, I'm gonna kill you

Sooyoung came strutting in like she didn't just drop an entire bomb on Irene's head. She set the bags of groceries on the kitchen counter and looked at Irene. "Unnie, why are you glaring at me like that?"

Both Seungwan and Seulgi were confused at the tall girl's unexpected entrance. Seulgi leaned over and whispered to the blonde. 

"Psst..Wannie. Is that Sooyoung?" 

Seungwan whispered back. "Yeah. I think so."

"I thought you said she was into me?"

"She is!"

"Then why did she call you baby? And how does she know your English name?"

The blonde scratched her arm and shrugged, still speaking with hushed (but not really) voices. "I don't know...For now, let's just go greet her."

"Okay." They finished whispering and got up from the floor.

The short-haired girl broke the blanket of tension between the two other women by calling out first. "Hi! You must be Sooyoung, Irene's roommate, right?"

Sooyoung turned around. "Oh sorry. I didn't know you guys were here already." A little embarrassed, Sooyoung reached forward for a handshake to both of them. "Yep, I'm Park Sooyoung-oof" She felt a sharp jab to her side. Of course, Irene had poked her with the end of her chopsticks.

"Language, Park Sooyoung! And they're both older than you as well, so use formalities."

Laughing off the two women's bickering, Seungwan introduced herself. "It's nice to meet you Sooyoung. Irene unnie tells a lot of stories about you haha. I'm Seungwan and..." Seungwan gestured to her friend.

"And I'm...Seulgi." Seulgi said it in a fake nonchalant manner, acting as if she wasn't really too interested in meeting her. Truthfully she was just trying to be cautious, wondering if this Sooyoung girl was actually a player or not.

The taller girl simply smiled at Seulgi with a tiny glint in her eyes. She was intrigued by the older girl's odd wariness around her, and wanted to know why she was being so cold and careful. She stepped slightly closer to the other girl and said in an equally relaxed tone. "Well, nice meeting you both. And I'm especially glad to finally meet you, Seulgi." 

The bear was caught off guard by Sooyoung's sudden closeness to her, and the tiny bit of sensuality in her tone. She didn't realize she was staring until she felt a pinch on her side from Seungwan, making her snap out of her gawking.

Fully content with successfully making Seulgi a little flustered, Sooyoung turned her attention back to Irene.

"Okay, so as I was saying unnie, I brought you the spicy rice cakes you wanted. So can we hurry and finish making dinner now, cause I'm starving like crazy." She walked over to the counter and helped bring out the ingredients. Irene nodded and brought the heat of the stove back up. She quickly tried to motion Sooyoung over to whisper to her, but the younger girl didn't notice and just wouldn't stop talking. "Oh, also. While I was out I bought some more food for Wendy, too."

The oldest girl grunted and cleared loudly, hoping the actual Wendy didn't hear. Sooyoung, god, shut up!

But taking a peek over her shoulder, she saw Seungwan furrowing her eyebrows again in confusion. And next to her Seulgi was pouting her lips for some odd reason.

Please Seungwan, don't respond don't respond don't-

"Uhh pardon? For me?"

Sooyoung turned to look at the blonde-haired girl, also confused. "What? Are you planning to eat some hamster food or something? Geez Irene unnie, Seungwan unnie's a real interesting one." The youngest girl snickered while taking the bag of pet food to the living room.

Seungwan was still unsure, not believing she could mishear twice. "Ah sorry, I just thought I heard you say my name."

"Oh no. I said I got some food for Wendy. Our pet hamster named Wendy. Have you met her yet?" Sooyoung finally came to Wendy's cage, cooing at how sweet the hamster was being when it recognized one of its owners.

Irene squirmmed from her spot by the stove, not daring to see the look on Seungwan's face right now. She could practically feel the blonde's curious eyes on her back.

"A-Ahh...yes we have. So her name is Wendy! I see..." Seungwan thought about it for a moment, smiling knowingly. "You know, that's pretty funny. My English name when I was studying abroad, is actually Wendy." 

This made Sooyoung look back at the shorter girl. "Oh~ is that so?" After setting the pet food away, the tall girl lightly tapped her way back into the kitchen.

She placed her hands on the top of Irene's shoulders, making the girl freeze up. "Did you hear that, unnie? Seungwan has the same English name as Wendy!" Sooyoung started bumping her side against Irene in a playful manner. "Isn't that, just crazy? Like, what a coincidence?"

Irene was very quickly losing her patience. "Yes Sooyoung! It's also, like, such a coincidence that you're standing so close to me. And in my hand, I just happen to have a small knife! How crazy is that?" 

Sooyoung knew that the older girl often gave empty threats, but the scary glare in her eyes was enough to tell her that she needs to stop talking now.

"Aha!" Seulgi finally had a eureka moment. She looked up while dropping her closed fist on the palm of her left hand. "I know who Wendy reminds me of now!" Without letting Seungwan question her weird behavior, she pulled the blonde-haired girl over with her back to the hamster cage.

Making Seungwan sit next to Wendy, Seulgi held up her hands and made a makeshift finger frame, as if she was an artist trying to capture the image of them together.

"Hamster Wendy, reminds me of you, Son Seungwan!"

The short-haired girl laughed at Seulgi's grand conclusion. "Really? You think so?"

Seulgi nodded her head rigorously. "Yes. Like I said, the same fluffy cheeks. Similar hair color. Cute boopable nose. And overall hamster vibe. It's the same, 100%."

If Irene was close enough friends with Seulgi, she probably would have considered beating her up too along with Sooyoung.

"Alright alright! Dinner is finished. Help me bring everything over to the table." The oldest girl huffed, feeling like everyone was just ganging up on her, even unknowingly. She hoped that with food in their mouths, that both Sooyoung and Seulgi would stop mentioning Wendy, but she was unfortunately wrong.

"Thank you Irene unnie~ we'll eat well!" All three of the younger girls cheered together.

Throughout the entire dinner, both foodies took turns taking jabs at Irene's expense while still inhaling everything on their plates. 

"You know. I've never met anyone else named Wendy until I met Wannie." The bear spoke through her munching, passing the plate of side dishes over to Sooyoung.

Now knowing that she just misunderstood the earlier sweet pet name calling, and having a stronger confirmation that Sooyoung did indeed like her, Seulgi relaxed easily. Through their shared interest of dance and similar food tastes, she found herself enjoying the younger girl's company more than she thought she would. It also helped that Sooyoung would laugh at all of Seulgi's jokes, even the ones that Seungwan didn't think were really that funny. 

Sooyoung herself would never say so, but she simply laughed along to anything the girl said cause of how cute Seulgi's dumb smile was.

"Yeah, the name is so rare in Korea. I don't think it's that common in America or Canada either, is it? Seungwan unnie?" The younger girl knew she was playing with fire, when she felt Irene stiffen and side-eye her.

"Hmm, not really. There is a restaurant back in the States called Wendy's though."

Irene was thankful that for the most part Seungwan didn't think much of all the attention surrounding her name and just ate happily. But she wasn't sure if the girl's quietness on the topic was necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.

"Unnie, the pork belly is really good." The blonde gave Irene a thumbs up after swallowing another big bite. "Actually, everything you made tastes good. You gotta give me the recipe!"

Irene smiled warmly at the praise. "Mmm, I can tell you my secret later."

"Are there any other secrets you wanted to tell Seungwan unnie, unnie?" Sooyoung prodded on, yelping quietly when she felt a kick to her leg as Irene stood up.

"Well I think I'm finished. I'm gonna go ahead and start washing the empty dishes, but you guys can keep eating." She hurried back into the kitchen and started looking for her pink sink gloves.

Seungwan tried to eat quicker. She felt bad that Irene not only cooked for them but also was now doing the dishes alone. Also, she was getting a little tired of having to third wheel her best friend and Sooyoung, who were quickly hitting it off.

Once her bowl was clean, she excused herself and helped collect the other empty dishes. When she arrived back in the kitchen, she saw Irene struggling to untangle her hair from the neck strap.

"Oh, let me help you." Seungwan went behind the older girl and gently removed the small mess of hair that got stuck.

Irene jolted in surprise at the younger girl's hands near her neck. "S-Seungwan! You surprised me...Are you done eating already?"

Seungwan motioned for Irene to hold her hair up as she slipped the neck strap back properly over her head. "Mmm. It was delicious! Thought I would come help you clean, Seulgi and Sooyoung were starting to get a little too gross so I ran away." Irene laughed loudly until she felt the younger girl wrapped her arms around her. Seungwan looped the strings around and then finished tying the apron tightly against her back.

Thinking she was done, Irene turned her head and whispered a small thank you, but then her lips accidentally brushed against Seungwan's cheek.

They both became flustered from the skinship, Seungwan jumping back first. "S-sorry, haha! I was gonna roll up your sleeves, since your hands already got wet." Irene nodded and allowed her, smiling that she could see a tiny hint of her pink gloss on the younger girl's face. 

Take that, stupid tall blondie.

Irene cleared realizing she was turning into some possesive little monster, and changed the subject.

"Hmm, but so yeah. I told you they would match well together! I have a good eye for these things, you know?"

The dark-haired girl nodded her head back at the pair sitting at the table. At some point after Seungwan left, Sooyoung slipped out and stole the blonde's seat next to Seulgi. They were giggling with each other, with the bear's face reddening at something Sooyoung had said.

Irene handed Seungwan another pair of gloves as they started cleaning up, both trying to hold in their laughs from the funny scene. "Sooyoung can be a little risqué though, so I hope Seulgi can handle that." 

"Eh, I'm sure she'll do just fine."

They cleaned peacefully for a few moments, until Seungwan suddenly broke the calm silence.

"So, why didn't you ever tell me about your pet hamster? It makes a lot of sense now why you said you liked the sound of my name, when we first met." Seungwan chuckled to herself while stacking the clean pots and pans.

The older girl racked her brain thinking of what to say. "Ah well...it just never came up in conversation so..."

Dang it Bae. Great excuse...

"Man, I wish Seulgi and I could get a pet. We wanted a dog originally, but our landlord doesn't allow them." The short-haired girl pouted gently, making Irene want to just pinch her chubby cheeks.

Ugh she's being so cute. This is getting real hard for me.

"Alright, unnie, the dishes are done. We can go ahead and check on the two lovebirds to see if they have room for my cake now!" 

Irene was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't know they had already finished cleaning up. She wiped her hands on her apron, Seungwan returning to help her untie it. 

"Right, almost forgot. What kind of cake is it again?" The older girl helped Seungwan open the fridge and bring the cake out over to the table.

The blonde set the box down in front of Sooyoung and Seulgi, interrupting their conversation (*flirting). "You guys are gonna love it. It's one of my and Seul's favorites." She opened the lid and revealed the charming little cake. "Tadaa! It's red velvet! What do you guys think? Still have room for dessert?"

Seulgi was practically drooling. Although she's had so many tastes of Seungwan's baking before, she can never get tired of them. 

"Wow, Seungwan unnie it looks really good! Like it was done by a pro. You're talented!" Sooyoung brought out her phone wanting to take a picture of it. 

Seungwan got shy from the high praise and covered her face slightly. "Oh geez, I'm not that good. I just like to bake in my spare time." Irene smiled seeing the look on the other girl's face. "We brought some beer too, if you guys are okay with drinking a little?"

The oldest girl hesitated, knowing she doesn't have the best tolerance. "I mean yeah, I think just a can wouldn't hurt."

Satisfied with her artsy pictures of the cake (as well as some sneaky cute photos of Seulgi), Sooyoung finally put her phone away and yelled. "Oh yeah! Let's cut it up and eat! Then we can pop in a movie and drink all night long- ow."

Irene came over and had knocked Sooyoung on her forehead. "Aish, you can have some cake and beer after you and Seulgi clean up your dishes and whatever is left on this table." The tall girl pouted but gave a meek nod as a reply as she stood up.

"Come on teddy bear, help me clean up." 

Seulgi pointed at herself. "M-me?" 

"Yes you, sillly. Let's go." Sooyoung locked their arms and pulled them both up to begin clearing the table.

Seungwan and Irene looked to each other laughing lightly. They then both reached for the cutting knife at the same time, their fingers touching.

"Oh Seungwan-ah, no worries I can cut it."

"No unnie, just take a seat and relax. You've done so much today already."

From the kitchen sink Sooyoung hollered over. "Why don't you both just hold hands and cut it together?!" 

It became quiet or a moment as everyone became still. The silence was broken when Seulgi began softly humming the wedding tune of "Here Comes the Bride," making Sooyoung cackle at their humorous chemistry.

The two both became flustered by their embarrassing friends. Seungwan gestured to the knife on the table. "Y-you can cut it then, unnie. And I'll go get the paper plates. Sounds like a deal?"

"Mm, deal." The awkward pair immediately set forth on their individual tasks.

---

Once the dining table was spotless, all four girls were tiredly lounging in the living room with some random movie playing. They each had a nice slice of Seungwan's special red velvet cake, leaving just one last piece in the fridge. 

Sooyoung and Seulgi sat on the floor next to each other, whining about their own self-induced food comas. Seungwan and Irene were leaning on opposite ends of the small couch, chuckling at the similarities their two best friends had with one another.

The short-haired girl stretched her arms over her head and got up, groaning when she heard her knee joints pop. "Alright, I'm gonna get the beers now. How many?"

Sooyoung immediately raised her hand. "Yes! Four cans for me-oof!"

Irene had swung a pillow at the younger girl's back. "Just one for you, you alcoholic! And I'll have one as well please, Seungwan-ah."

"Don't forget one for me too, Wannie~" Seulgi sent her best friend a heart with her arms over her head. 

Seungwan shot a finger heart back at the girl. "Got it. I'll be right back."

---

With a group total of 4 and half empty beer cans later, Sooyoung was leaning on Seulgi's shoulder playing with her hair. They both already finished their respective cans and shared an extra, now quietly focused on watching the of the movie.

Since Seungwan was the one who drove, she also just allowed herself to drink her one can to ensure she would stay sober.

Meanwhile, Irene, was another story.

She had only managed to finish half her can, when they decided for her that she had enough. Not really being the type to drink very often, her tolerance was low, even after already having such a filling meal to balance it out.

Aside from the obvious redness of her face, Irene's odd behavior was another indicator that she should stop. At some point during the movie, she had stretched her legs out across the couch and poked Seungwan's thigh with her foot.

"Ah. What was that for, unnie?"

The older girl simply smiled and laughed, before repeating the action a few more times. As cute as a drunk Irene was, Seungwan was a little concerned. 

"Um, Sooyoung. Is her tolerance really that bad?" 

Sooyoung giggled and nodded her head. "Unnie is alcohol trash. If you can get her to talk though she's really funny sometimes." 

Seungwan looked back at Irene, who was still joyously poking her leg. She was being very childish, a complete 180 from her normal mature image. Not being able to resist the older girl's current cute charms, she decided to play along.

She grabbed a hold of Irene's legs and held them hostage over her thighs, preventing the girl from moving them. When Seungwan saw Irene's reaction, she couldn't help the laugh that came out after seeing such a look of betrayal on the older girl's face. 

"Why are you poking me, unnie? Did I do something wrong?"

She wasn't really expecting an answer, but wondered if Irene would actually reply to her.

"Cause. You're really soft. And warm." Irene emphasized this by trying to shake her legs again. "My feet are cold."

"Oh, you're cold?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to go get a blanket?" 

"No."

"But you said your feet are cold?"

"Yes."

The blonde was confused, unsure what exactly Irene wanted then.

She simply continued to hold onto the older girl's legs, as the movie finally came to an end.

Seulgi let out a deep yawn, stretching her one arm that Sooyoung wasn't napping on. "Oh, Sooyoung is asleep. What should I do, Wannie-ah?"

Seungwan was about to suggest moving her to the couch, when the taller girl moved her head up and opened her eyes.

"I'm not asleep yet. But I want to sleep in my room." She held Seulgi's arm. "You mind cuddling with me, teddy bear?"

"U-uhm, sure?" Sooyoung smiled when Seulgi brought them both up from the ground.

"Take care of Irene unnie for me, Seungwan unnie. We'll just be napping for a little." 

Seungwan nodded blankly and watched as the two made their way towards the hallway.

Hearing the soft shut of the door, the short-haired girl let out a low whistle. "Wow, those two move fast."

Irene started giggling next to her suddenly. "Hehe, you whistle funny."

"Oh yeah? Well I think you're funny, in general." 

"Ah, thank you." Irene then did a deep bow towards her for some reason.

Seungwan couldn't help the small smile that cracked on her face. Drunk Irene is really, really weird. Can't believe I like her so much that even like this she's still cute to me.

"I'm gonna go get you some water, promise not to poke me, unnie."

"I'm gonna poke you." The dark-haired girl stated it with full determination.

"No, promise me that you won't- okay, nevermind." Seungwan lifted the older girl's legs off of her and tried to sit up, but Irene was quick to move and scrambled forward. She had trapped Seungwan against the arm rest of the couch, pinning her arms to the side as she settled her knees on either side of the younger girl.

"U-unnie?!" The blonde was very confused, and very (*gay) panicked. 

"Seungwan-ah, you have very pretty eyes." Irene leaned forward and looked very closely at her face.

Seungwan turned her face away, feeling her heart thrum almost out of her chest.

"I also like you're cheeks. And nose." 

"Umm...thank you?" Seungwan took deep breaths trying to understand what was going on.

She also wondered how a girl with such small hands like Irene, had so much strength in her arms. 

"Irene unnie, uhhh...I appreciate the compliments but...is it necessary to do so while holding me down like this?"

The older girl ignored the question, either purposefully or not, and just continued speaking.

"Actually, I like a lot of things. I like the sky, fabric softner, ironing..." 

Seungwan figured she would just let Irene ramble, if convincing her to let go won't work. 

Eventually Irene did release her arms, only because she was using her fingers to count off the things she likes. 

"Let's see. I'm scared of animals, but I do like my hamster named Wendy. I also like the name Wendy. Nice ring to it."

Seungwan laughed and crossed her arms over her chest, recalling the first time Irene told her that.

"Ohh, I don't like chicken. And I don't like heights. But...I do like spicy rice cake." Irene smiled while happily putting her ninth finger down.

The blonde was so amused to see yet another weird drunk habit by the older girl. "Are you almost done counting, unnie?"

"Yes. Hold on, I'm still thinking." She looked at her thumb that was still up, and then glanced at Seungwan. "Ah. That's right! I got it."

Irene put her last finger down and cheered proudly. "I like you, Son Seungwan."

---

AN: Happy weekend everyone! I'm so happy that our Seungwannie is back and looking healthy :') thanks for reading and let me know your thoughts! Also yes I love cliffhangers haha