Day 7

Wisdom Teeth

A/N: howdy doo~

I'm sorry. This is a really quick update. I'm hoping to have a sooner update next time.

It might seem like nothing has happened, but you'll see in future chapters[:

 



 

The kitchen is absolute chaos. 

 

Is it because Jungeun hasn’t been cooking for a while and she misses it too much? Is it because Jinsol doesn’t like the way Jungeun cooks and they’re constantly bickering about the way she cuts her vegetables and questionable food combinations? Is it because Jungeun is in the mood to tease and bother her girlfriend as much as possible?

 

Oh. Potato on the ground. 

 

“Jung Jinsol!”

 

“Hey! It’s not my fault! You took my vegetable knife and I have such a small cutting board! It’s not like you’re going to be eating this!”

 

Jungeun simply sticks her tongue out, causing Jinsol to groan. Satisfied, Jungeun snickers. 

 

As promised, Jinsol makes her ramen. They haven’t gone shopping ever since Jungeun’s surgery so they’re adding a bunch of random ingredients to the broth: carrots, bean sprouts spinach, eggs, and a potato? I don’t know. Jungeun had it once in a Japanese restaurant and it was starting to grow spuds so both of them are on board with it. 

 

Jinsol takes out soy sauce from their condiment cabinet and Jungeun whines. 

 

“Can we add gochujang sauce instead? This broth needs a little kick.” Jungeun nods to the clear broth that had a bunch of vegetables in it. 

 

Jinsol deadpans. She’s reminded of the recent incidents of Jungeun crying out in pain because of food. Spicy food was definitely going to irritate her gums and it would probably confuse her stomach since she hasn’t eaten spicy food in such a long time. Maybe she’s paranoid, but can you blame her after what she went through?

 

Jungeun whimpers when Jinsol doesn’t budge and adds the soy sauce. Even the pout that usually gets Jinsol doesn’t faze her one bit.

 

She doesn’t stop Jinsol, though. She never would have. 

 

Jinsol commands Jungeun to set up the table so she can finish cooking without any distractions. Out of spite, Jungeun wraps her arms around Jinsol and presses a quick peck on her cheek before doing as she was told. She knew it was going to fluster Jinsol, but that’s what she gets for not even putting the slightest drop of gochujang in their meal.

 


 

Jungeun almost cries because she feels like it’s been forever since she’s had flavorful food. 

 

It’s definitely not Jinsol’s best cooking. Quite honestly, it was basically a college freshman’s kitchen experiment—soggy ramen mixed with egg drop soup and mushy vegetables, but Jungeun still enjoyed it. Tonight’s meal definitely tasted better than yogurt and oatmeal and porridge.

 

It’s extra special because she got to push Jinsol’s buttons, something she hasn’t done in a while. (Not intentionally anyway.)

 

Jinsol wasn’t exactly enjoying her meal. Halfway through, she apologetically pulled out some leftover dumplings so she could eat something normal. 

 

Although Jungeun was a little jealous, she couldn’t blame Jinsol and didn’t mind her reaction. Overall, she was just thankful that Jinsol tried to reinvent food that she could eat with the little they had in the kitchen. Still, Jinsol promised she would give her all the food she wanted after her gums healed. (Jungeun knew that food would taste 500% better.) The patient thinks it’s silly, but loves the affection.

 

After dinner, Jungeun volunteers to wash the dishes while Jinsol cleans up. In the back of her head, she wishes that the two of them would wash them together, but she knows Jinsol is exhausted. 

 

Jungeun expects Jinsol to catch up in the end and help her rinse the dishes or clean the table since that’s what they usually do, but Jinsol was nowhere to be seen. The younger one shrugs it off, thinking about how she hasn’t done chores in nearly a week so this would be part of the payback. 

 

When she finishes by wiping down the table, she plops on the couch. Jinsol never came out and Jungeun figures she probably passed out on the bed. (She has been doing that lately.) Although Jungeun is usually an early sleeper, the night was still young and she wanted to watch a little TV without waking up her girlfriend. 

 

As Jungeun walks towards their TV set to grab the remote, she notices that the light in their office is on. Jungeun thinks it’s odd because it’s a Sunday, but shrugs it off. Maybe Jinsol went to get something in there and forgot to turn the light off. 

 

Jungeun’s hand is on the doorknob when she hears keyboard clicking. 

 

Jinsol is definitely awake. 

 

Is she working?

 

Jungeun doesn’t want to believe her ears, but with the accompanying sounds of mouse clicks and Jinsol’s chair scratching against the floor, she knew Jinsol was in there. 

 

Or possibly a robber???

 

As quietly as possible, she slightly opens the door. Jinsol typing away on her computer confirmed Jungeun’s suspicions. She tried to get a closer look, but the door squeaked.

 

She hoped that Jinsol didn’t hear it, but the financer automatically looked at the door. Jungeun didn’t bother hiding the fact she was caught. In fact, she opened the door wider and let herself in. 

 

It looked as if Jinsol was already trying to come up with an excuse. Since Jinsol looked like she was caught in an act, Jungeun decided to speak up first. “I was just checking on you. I noticed the light was on.”

 

Jinsol smiles, but Jungeun knows it’s a coy smile. It slightly breaks her heart. “I’m just answering a few emails. I’ll be in bed soon.”

 

Jungeun knows it’s not the truth because she saw the finance software and report document open, but decides not to make a big deal out of it. She offers a small smile before leaving and closing the door behind her. 

 

After washing up, she lays in bed thinking about Jinsol working. Ever since they were required to work from home, it wasn’t uncommon for either of them to be working odd hours. Before her surgery, Jungeun used to start work sometime between 6 to 7 in the morning and Jinsol sometimes works as late as 8 at night. 

 

Working on a Sunday night was definitely rare, but not unheard of. Jinsol only did that when an emergency occurred and if that was the case, it really was only a few emails. 

 

Jungeun can only assume one other thing: Jinsol was falling behind in her work and had to catch up.

 

Guilt strikes her. She didn’t think she’d be holding Jinsol back this much that she’d be working on a Sunday night. Was taking care of her a burden? She hopes Jinsol doesn’t get scolded for anything.

 

Jungeun tries not to think too much about it, but being alone with her thoughts was eating her up. She tries to reflect upon this week. Maybe she can do things that will reduce any stress on Jinsol. She’ll start making her own meals. She can do their laundry. She will take her medication on her own. 

 

It’ll be hard, but it’s doable.  She’ll do it for Jinsol.

 

Jungeun internally smacks herself. Her thoughts start exploring things she can’t control, like having her surgery in the middle of the week, taking a sick leave from work, and dealing with all of this pain.

 

She’s tired of it.

 


 

"Hey, are you still down to come over on Tuesday?"

 

"Of course! I miss hanging out with, Jungie!"

 

"Thanks again! It really means a lot to me!"

 

"Do you want me to bring anything?"

 

"You don't have to. Jungeun is kinda on a strict diet right now."

 

"Can I bring some soup? Hyunjin brought home some extra."

 

"Sure. As long as it doesn't have too many spices or something."

 

"Sounds good then!"

 

"I'll text you a list of Jungeun's medication schedule and the food she usually likes eating."

 

"Wow, Jinsol. When did you turn into some kind of parent? Do you finally decide to grow up during quarantine?"

 

 "Shut up."

 


 

Jungeun wakes up alone in bed. She didn’t even realize she fell asleep. Habitually, she extends her arm, looking for Jinsol’s hand, only to feel cold bedsheets. She turns her head to see an empty bed.

 

Sighing disappointedly, she wonders if Jinsol is still working. Jungeun remembers the thoughts that were racing through her mind prior to her nap, but doesn’t satiate in the intensity of it.

 

When she rolls over, she reaches for her phone on her nightstand. The clock showed that it was almost midnight. 

 

Jungeun is curious about what Jinsol was working on and why she had to be working on it now. No longer having the ability to sleep, Jungeun stares at the ceiling. She thinks she can hear the pattering of Jinsol’s keyboard and the hum of her computer fan. Guilt seeps in again, but Jungeun accepts that it’s not in her control and maybe it’s something they can talk about later.

 

She hears an alarm and realizes it’s Jinsol’s reminder to take her medication. Jinsol seems to click a few things before she rolls away from her desk and exits the room. When Jungeun hears footsteps by their door, she pretends to go to sleep. 

 

Jinsol tenderly wakes her up. Jungeun quietly obeys (not whining for once). Not many words were spoken between the two, per usual. Just a “thank you”, a “go back to sleep”, and a kiss goodnight before the room was filled with silence again.

 



 

A/N: wow that really was a short chapter.

don't worry. next chapter is twice as long.

i've had a lot on my mind lately, but i wanted to talk to you guys about something.

I know that I have written some sensitive topics, but if you are offended in anyway, please feel free to reach out to me. I try my best to include content warnings and I go through a rigorous editing process, but because I'm a one-woman show and this is just a hobby, some things might slip through the cracks. I hope you can be patient and understanding when these mistakes are made.

anyways, sorry to end on such a serious note. i hope things will get better within the fandom. i hope to see you soon for the next update[:

Thank you thank you thank you for your love and support for this fic. I appreciate all of your comments. I'm so sorry updates are taking longer than I expected.

Twitter: @littlepanduh
Curious Cat: @LittlePanduh