Day 9

Wisdom Teeth

Jinsol only gives Jungeun a day’s warning when she says she has to be in the office. Jungeun is rather suspicious about Jinsol’s aloofness, but shrugs it off, still thinking it has to do with her recent “babysitting” duties. She reassures Jinsol that she’ll be okay on her own, but Jinsol says she already recruited their neighbor and friend, Haseul, to watch over her. Haseul is their best friend since college and Hyunjin’s roommate.

 

Jungeun is embarrassed that Jinsol actually found someone to watch over her, but Jinsol told her that Haseul was solely there to keep her company (and maybe give Jinsol some updates). The younger one wants to tell Haseul not to worry about coming over, but maybe she can catch up with her friend. 

 

“And yeah. Do you think I’m being bothersome to Jinsol?”

 

Her guest blinks a few times. She thinks it’s ironic how the first thing Jungeun told her was that they won’t be able to talk much since she had her own work to do. In response, Haseul nodded in agreement and set up her laptop, however, as soon as she adjusted to Jinsol’s desk, Jungeun was running , asking about anything new with her life and…

 

She talks about Jinsol. 

 

She talks a lot about Jinsol.

 

She talks about how Jinsol takes care of her and how Jungeun feels like she’s being a burden. She talks about how thankful she is because of Jinsol considering she knew she would be stressed out about all of this if she was taking care of herself. She talks about how Jinsol passes out earlier than usual. She talks about the bread and the ramen. Jungeun is a little self-conscious to admit that she likes being in Jinsol’s arms, so she says, “The best thing about Jinsol is her hugs,” but isn’t that just as embarrassing? I don’t know. 

 

At first, Haseul is shocked because she’s never really heard Jungeun talk about Jinsol so much. Usually, it’s the other way around. On group dates, Jinsol is the one clinging onto Jungeun and bragging about her, while Jungeun barely showed any affection. Even when they broke up in college, Jinsol was the one who came crying to Haseul. With Jungeun, Haseul caught her crying at the old coffee shop, but didn’t share anything more than a hug and a few words of comfort. Now, it’s Jinsol being away from them and Jungeun feeling insecure about her attachment to Jinsol. Haseul thinks the situation is laughable and realizes how much she misses her friends. 

 

“Jungie, did you forget that you just had a surgery, like, a week ago?”

 

Jungeun rolls her eyes. “Of course I can’t forget. I’m constantly reminded when I eat applesauce.”

 

Haseul chuckles. “Well, maybe you need a reminder to be nice on yourself. Jinsol is only taking care of you.”

 

Jungeun sighs. “It’s just that I feel like taking care of me is really taxing and is holding her back.”

 

Haseul furrows her eyebrows. “Taking care of you is not taxing. I’m sure Jinsol enjoys your company. You know she likes babying you. Plus, you’re easy to take care of. You have to eat certain food and take medication. Sounds as difficult as doing homework. 

 

“And holding her back from what? Everyone is basically quarantining themselves.” She turns away from her laptop screen to face Jungeun. “Is Jinsol missing out on Zoom meetings with Somin or something? Missed a game night with Gowon and Hyerim? I’m pretty sure none of them are going to mind that.”

 

Jungeun also gives her attention to Haseul, forgetting the report she was working on. She shrugs. “It’s just,” she sighs, “last Sunday, I caught her working at night .”

 

Haseul waits for the punchline. When she sees Jungeun’s definitive stare, she snorts at the detail and gives an unconvinced smirk. “Wow. She’s falling behind on work. Who isn’t every once in a while?”

 

“That’s my point!” Jungeun throws her hands up in contemplation. “She’s not one to fall behind, but now she has. Maybe she’s falling behind in work because she has to take care of me?”

 

The short-haired girl rolls her eyes and turns back to her desk. She checks the time, only to realize the two have been talking for more than half an hour (well, technically Jungeun has been doing most of the talking). “Do you two usually talk this much during the workday?”

 

“We actually don’t really talk a lot.” Jungeun turns to look at the clock. She blushes at Haseul’s realization. “Sorry. I’ve had a lot on my mind.”

 

“You don’t need to apologize. Your feelings are valid. It’s been a while since we’ve last seen each other.” After typing a few values in and clicking the button to run her program, Haseul turns back at her. “You’ve been spending a lot of time with Jinsol. Even if you two are dumb in love, you need a break from each other.”

 

Jungeun’s heart drops at that phrase. “Do you,” she hesitates. “Do you think she needs a break from me?”

 

Haseul internally smacks her head. She’s never seen Jungeun this sensitive ever since the breakup. She reminds herself to be a little more careful around Jungeun. “Jinsol has to go to her office, remember? She’s not getting a break from you.” The two lock eyes again. “If she wanted or needed a break from you, she wouldn’t have asked me to come over for hourly check-ins and reminders to take your medication.”

 

Haseul’s consolation eased Jungeun’s mind. She feels silly for going that direction. “You’re right. Maybe I’m the one that needs a break from Jinsol.”

 

Haseul chuckles. “I kinda think you’re right.” She turns back around and begins inputting values in her program. 

 

Not even 5 minutes into her work, she receives a text message from Jinsol. “Geez. How does it feel to have someone care about you so much?”

 

Jungeun blushes at the comment, but tries not to take her attention away from her screen. “She kinda treats me like a mom.”

 

The choice of vocabulary tickles Haseul. “Does that bother you?”

 

Jungeun hums. “Not really. I mean I usually don’t ignore her kindness just to bother her, but I absolutely love her affection.” 

 

Haseul clicks her tongue. “You’re such a tsundere.” Jungeun giggles at the response. “Aish. I don’t know how she can stand you.”

 

“She doesn't have to treat me like a kid though.” Jungeun pouts, feigning embarrassment. 

 

Haseul lets out a hearty laugh. “Shut up! You know you like it!” 

 

That does shut Jungeun up. 

 

“You know, that’s kinda just how relationships work, Jungie. Sometimes you're equals. Sometimes someone is the kid and the other is the parent. Sometimes you need to be apart. Sometimes a global pandemic forces you two to be together 24/7. It happens and it’s totally okay. Just embrace these moments while you can. Things will come back to normal and you’ll be reminiscing times like this.”

 

Finally, after nearly 45 minutes of conversing, they stopped talking and started working. Jungeun kept Haseul’s words in the back of her mind. 

 


 

After a few hours, they take their lunch break. Haseul heats up a soup that Hyunjin sneaked from the bakery a few days ago. (Don’t worry, it’s canned soup.) Jungeun offers drinks and some fruit that Jinsol cut. Hyunjin’s bread is also on the table. 

 

As Haseul prepares their meals, Jungeun starts reflecting on what Haseul said this morning.  

 

Jinsol and Jungeun have been through a lot. Within the seven years they’ve dated, they’ve graduated from university, broken up twice, and moved in together (three times now). Now, they’re living through the coronavirus and Jungeun’s wisdom teeth extraction. Jungeun has seen so many sides of Jinsol, but there’s always something new to learn about her. She wonders how much more she has to learn. 

 

It excites her.

 

“Mind tell me what’s making you smile?” Haseul hands over her bowl.

 

Jungeun tries to play coy. “I’m excited to eat your food.”

 

Haseul scoffs. “I know Jinsol’s ramen was horrible, but I’m pretty sure you’re not excited over sweet potato bisque.”

 

Shrugging, Jungeun digs in. “It’s something different for once.” She takes a spoonful. “And her food wasn’t horrible. It just wasn’t the best.”

 

The cook throws her spoon to the side, disgust on her face. “You guys are unbelievably whipped for each other. I feel like I’m going to be sick.”

 

Jungeun eyes her bowl and starts reaching for it. “More for me then.”

 

Haseul swats her hands away and clumsily grabs her spoon. “Eat your damn food.”

 

Jungeun passes her some of the leftover sweet rolls. Haseul dips it into her soup. 

 

Haseul’s mouth is half-full when she speaks. “It’s kinda refreshing to see you like this.”  

 

“Like what?” Jungeun takes another spoonful. 

 

Haseul raises her eyebrow again and smirks mischievously. “Like you’re absolutely in love with Jinsol.”

 

Jungeun wants to retort, but the conciseness of the statement renders her speechless. She just takes another spoonful. 

 

The woman in front of her pouts. “Aw. Come on, Moomin! Don’t go back to being a tsundere again! Keep talking about Jinsol’s ramen and warm hugs!”

 

Jungeun keeps shut. Something is boiling in her, but she knows that if she responds, something Jinsol-related might come out which will not help her cause. 

 

“Hey, Jungeun,” Haseul points at the sweet rolls, arm fully extended. “I want that.”

 

It takes a while, but Jungeun roars as she remembers her childish antics. “How did you even know about that?!” She tears a piece of Hyunjin’s roll and throws it at Haseul. The older woman holds her hands up in defense and giggles. It’s like they’re back in university again. 

 

“Jinsol was my best friend first,” Haseul playfully taunts. “She tells me everything, especially the things she thinks are really cute. Goodness, I thought she was the childish one. You both are.”

 

Jungeun’s ears become red. Jinsol thinks I'm cute. Haseul is courteous to let that slide because this image is too foreign for her.

 

The two eat the rest of their lunch in silence, save for a few satisfied hums. Jungeun offers to wash the dishes and Haseul complies. She checks her phone before returning to work. 

 

Jungeun is rinsing the dishes by the time Haseul pops the question.

 

“Can I ask you something, Jungie? It’s a little personal.”

 

“Of course, Seullie.” Jungeun knew it was going to be about Jinsol and she admits she loves talking about Jinsol. Especially now that she’s being more open to Haseul today, she wouldn’t mind gushing about her girlfriend a little more.

 

“You don’t have to answer it if you’re uncomfortable talking about it, but I’m just curious.” Haseul clears . “Have you and Jinsol considered marrying each other?”

 

Jungeun loves talking about Jinsol, but she wasn’t prepared to answer this question. 

 

Marriage? 

 

To Jinsol?

 

Jungeun used to dream of a large church wedding where she invited all her friends and family. She’d have a reception with her favorite food and she and her father would dance to “Sorry” by f(x). This dream was shattered when Jinsol walked into her life, but she would give up some overly extravagant ceremony in exchange for a lifetime with someone she loves. 

 

However, marriage wasn’t just a wedding. It was settling down, buying a house together, maybe a kid or two, celebrating milestones together. 

 

Jinsol and Jungeun were basically a married couple though. They bicker all the time, but find themselves in each other’s arms at night. They talk about their goals and why they’re having a bad day. They support each other monetarily, physically, and emotionally. They know each other best. At this point, some legal binding would just be a cherry on top of their relationship.

 

She wonders if Jinsol has fantasized about a wedding or the idea of marriage. 

 

“I think that bowl is done being rinsed.” Haseul teases.

 

Jungeun flusteredly turns the water off and puts the dish on the drying rack. She can’t help but stare at the sink. 

 

“If that’s too personal, don’t worry about it. I was just curious since you guys have been together so long. Marriage isn’t important in this day and age.”

 

The younger one leans against the sink to face Haseul. In contemplation, she crosses her arms and bites her lips. “We haven’t talked about it at all, actually.”

 

Haseul’s face dims a little. She offers a smile. “Oh. I mean, you guys must have your reasons. It’s nothing to worry about.” When she notices that Jungeun starts sulking, she stands up and walks towards her friend. They hold hands. “Jungie, it’s really not something to worry about. It was just something that popped in my head because you guys act like a married couple. If you haven’t talked about it, maybe you guys can later?”

 

Jungeun lets out a small smile. 

 


 

“Haseul, it’s 6:30PM.”

 

The owner of the name swivels in her chair. “What? Are you kicking me out before Jinsol gets here? I want to see her, too.” She gives that childish pout that makes Jungeun visibly cringe. 

 

Jungeun shakes away that image. “No, it’s just that Jinsol left for work at 8AM. She should’ve finished work at 5:30 being the latest.” She pouts. “If that’s the case, she should’ve been home by now.”

 

Haseul checks her phone for any notifications. “Maybe she got caught up with something. Isn’t she doing some training or something?”

 

“Training? Is that what she told you?”

 

It was an innocent question, yet why did Haseul just give Jungeun some side-eye? 

 

“What did she tell you,” Haseul asks?

 

Jungeun was growing suspicious. “She didn’t tell me anything. I figured she and her coworkers had a lot of catching up to do since they haven’t been working in the office for nearly 2 months. I didn’t think it would take this long though.”

 

Haseul shrugs and turns back to her computer. “Maybe it’s both.”

 

Jungeun checks her phone. She opens her messaging application. Jinsol hadn’t sent her a message since after lunchtime. It seems that Haseul is also frantically tapping away at her phone, probably messaging Jinsol as well. 

 

When the two simmer down in their chairs, Haseul her a look. “I’m done for the day. What about you?”

 

Jungeun stretches her arms and lets out a yawn. While covering , she nods.

 

“Want to watch a movie while we wait for Jinsol?”

 


 

Jungeun is curled up to Haseul on the couch as they watch an episode of “It’s Okay to Not Be Okay”. The younger woman’s head started to be clouded with thoughts of her girlfriend so she had a hard time concentrating. 

 

When the episode ended, Jungeun’s worry grew tenfold. It was past 8PM and Jinsol still wasn’t home. 

 

“Do you think she got in an accident?” Jungeun clings on to Haseul’s arm.

 

Haseul’s eyes nearly pop out of her eyes at the loaded question. She tries to hold back a nervous laugh, disguising it with a cough. Trying to calm the poor woman down, she brushes a hand through her hair. “Aren’t you her emergency contact? Someone would’ve called you if that’s the case.”

 

Jungeun loosens her grip on Haseul and reaches for her phone resting on the arm of the couch. She taps the screen but doesn’t see any new notifications. 

 

When she puts her phone down, she nestles back to Haseul’s side. It wasn’t anything like Jinsol’s snuggles, but Haseul was her best friend and she’s gotten used to her own personalized comfort.

 

They two stay on the couch. Even Haseul was growing uneasy. They’ve been calling Jinsol for the past 2 hours and Jinsol stopped responding. Haseul knows Jinsol is driving, but she’s not that far away. 

 

Jungeun is about to spill another concern, but stops when she hears the door jiggle. She jerks up from the couch. 

 

Haseul grabs her wrist. Jungeun is about to protest, but Haseul cuts her off. “I will let you open the door as long as you don’t run. I refuse to let you get injured within seconds of ending my shift.”

 

Jungeun complies, but when she opens the door, she nearly slams herself into Jinsol. When their eyes met, Jinsol dropped her bags and hugged her tightly.

 

There are a thousand thoughts that run through Jungeun's mind, but she doesn't want to seem as paranoid as she actually is. “I thought something happened to you,” Jungeun weakly says in her chest.

 

“I’m right here.” Jinsol chuckles, breathing in Jungeun’s scent.

 

They’re still in the middle of the hallway, but Jungeun doesn’t care. She’s glad to be in her arms again.

 

“Hey, Jinsol! Good to see you.” Haseul squeezes past them. “My work here is done. You two have a great night.”

 

Jinsol pulls away from the embrace. Jungeun is a little embarrassed, but offers an apologetic look. 

 

“Haseul, stay at least for dinner. I took a shower before I left. I swear I’m clean. I also brought the jajangmyeon you asked for and my mom packed some bibimbap for you.”

 

Wait. 

 

Haseul asked for jajangmyeon 

 

Jinsol’s mom made her bibimbap?

 

It was only then that Jungeun realized the guitar case that Jinsol was wearing.

 

Did Jinsol go home? All the way to Chuncheon?

 

“Just leave the food at my door another time. Trust me when I say this. You and Jungie have a lot to talk about.” Haseul gives a look to her younger friend, but Jungeun averts her eyes. “I’ve spent nearly 12 hours with her and although I haven’t seen her in 6 weeks, I think I’ve spent more than enough time with her to last me a few more weeks.” That causes Jungeun to turn her head and stick her tongue out. Jinsol laughs at the banter.

 

“But I want to hang out with you.” Jinsol whines.

 

Haseul starts walking to the end of the hallway. “We can always meet at another time. I’m only a few floors away. If you’re that paranoid, I’ll tell Hyunjin to quarantine herself in her room, but she only goes to the bakery before opening and after closing anyways.” She gives them one last look. “Hope you feel better soon, Jungie!”

 

The two watch their friend enter the stairwell before they enter their own apartment.

 

Jinsol looks at her girlfriend who was still clutching onto her. 

 

“Babe, I have to go take a shower.” She rubs her back.

 

“I… missed you.” 

 

Jinsol can tell that Jungeun also thought what she said was a little silly, so she decided not to about it.

 

She smiles instead and leads them into their apartment. “Jungie, let go of me so I can grab my stuff.”

 

After a breath, Jungeun let go. Jinsol puts down her guitar and goes back outside to grab her other bags. “Did you really go to Chuncheon?” This held an obvious answer, but Jungeun had a hard time believing it. She had no idea this was happening. 

 

Jinsol walks towards the kitchen while Jungeun follows closely like a child. 

 

“Is your mom okay? You haven’t visited your family since the start of this virus. You never wanted to visit because you were so cautious.” Jungeun now had a look of concern.

 

Jinsol turns around and leans on the counter. Jungeun made a sad effort of social distancing, despite clinging onto Jinsol less than three minutes ago. The older one smiles in an attempt for comfort considering how much negative energy was radiating off of Jungeun. “My family is fine. There were a few things I needed to pick up.” She stands up. “Mind unpacking my stuff while I go take a shower? They’re not heavy, don’t worry.” She picks up one bag and then leaves.

 

Jungeun just stares at Jinsol in awe as she makes her way to their bedroom. She was getting annoyed at how evasive her girlfriend was being, but submitted to her. There was no point in getting angry when everything was okay. 

 

There were two bags and Jinsol’s guitar case. Jungeun picks up a green tote bag to find containers of food. It must’ve been the food that Jinsoul’s mom cooked. As she wiped down all the containers, she was pleasantly surprised to see a variety of stews and their favorite side dishes. It seems that Jinsol had written the names of the food and when to eat it. 

 

For Jungeun, when you’re sick of oatmeal.

 

For Jungeun, when Jinsol messes up the food again.

 

For Jinsol, when you’re too tired to cook.

 

For Jinsol, when you run out of groceries again. 

 

For Jungeun, when you need comfort and Jinsol isn’t there.

 

For Jinsol, to remind you of college.

 

For Jungeun, if you get mad at Jinsol.

 

For Haseul, mom says she misses you. 

 

For Haseul, because you asked.

 

Jungeun can’t help but laugh at the silly labels. She makes sure to thank her girlfriend with some affection later.

 

After placing the food in the refrigerator, she unpacks the second bag to see it full of groceries. A part of her is bummed out that she didn’t get to go grocery shopping with Jinsol, but it seems that she must’ve gone shopping with her mom since some of the brands don’t look familiar. She starts washing those, too.  

 

She has a few more vegetables to put away by the time Jinsol is by her side and also putting away her groceries. 

 

“Did you eat yet?” 

 

“Not really. I was waiting for you.”

 

“I’m sorry I came home late. My dad and I had some catching up to do.”

 

“You should have stayed the night.”

 

“No. I would’ve missed you too much.” Jinsol gives a goofy smile. “And from what Haseul texted me, you would’ve missed me, too.”

 

Jungeun puts a head of cabbage away. Haseul’s question echoed in her mind.

 

“It’s okay. You’re here now.” She’s about to lean in for a kiss when Jinsol stops her. 

 

“You should take a shower. You were clinging onto me before I even entered the room.”

 

Jungeun pouts as a response. She hates this stupid virus. As someone who only shows affection in close quarters, she hates having to wait two-showers long in order to kiss or hug her girlfriend after they leave their apartment. She hates how hugging Jinsol might be considered dangerous.

 

Jinsol gives her a smile. “I’m not going anywhere. In fact, by the time you come back, the food will be ready.”

 

The younger one obliges before she heads to the bathroom.

 

--

 

As promised, the table was prepared and Jinsol was patiently waiting at one side of the table.

 

Jungeun doesn’t waste time. She goes straight to her girlfriend, holds her face between her hands, and gently presses her lips against hers. 

 

Jinsol pulls away for air. “You smell good.”

 

Jungeun just smiles. “I’m glad you’re home.”

 



 

A/N: 

bruh. i miss haseul. i will respectfully wait for her, just like i waited for solji, mina, and wendy. i just need to say it though. i miss haseul.

btw. some things seemed to have shifted in the k-pop writing community. i wrote a long statement about my opinions and philosophies of writing Real Person Fanfiction. If you would like to read it, please click here.

this fic was supposed to be dedicated to my friend who likes lipseul, but she ghosted me. *shrugs*
anyways, if you're reading this, hope school is going well for you. i miss talking to you.

anyways, everyone, please take care of yourself and your loved ones. there's so many natural disasters going on. please try to support one another during these trying times.
as always, please stay safe and healthy.

Twitter: @littlepanduh
CC: @LittlePanduh