Seven

Fainting Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung wakes up to the smell of something delicious.

 

She rubs her tired and swollen eyes and sees Mina, grinning, carrying a mouth-watering breakfast once again.

 

They shared it with a delicate silence.

 

After eating, Mina softly asks if she’s okay, and she answers it truthfully.

 

Chaeyoung figures she owes Mina an explanation about her breakdown last night, considering how tightly she clung onto the other girl.

 

Mina, as always, listens with attentiveness. 

 

Chaeyoung’s heart still aches for her grandmothers, but it also feels lighter knowing that their love wouldn’t just be buried as a secret forever.

 

It’s like the last piece falling into place because she knows her grandmother wouldn’t leave the letters in such an obvious place. 

 

Nayeon wanted Chaeyoung to find them.

 

 

For the rest of the day, Mina and Chaeyoung take a break from cleaning (as Mina insisted).

 

They are currently lounging in the living room with Chaeyoung, fulfilling her promise of letting Mina observe her sketch. 

 

Chaeyoung’s hand itches to draw Mina’s face, but she decides against it. She just redraws the painting hanging above the fireplace instead; it was a ship sailing straight into the sunset. When it’s finally finished, Chaeyoung takes her eyes off the piece just to see Mina boring her eyes into her work like she’s seeing her favorite idol.

 

Chaeyoung blushes at how intense the girl is looking. 

 

“It’s gorgeous,” Mina murmurs.

 

Chaeyoung touches her neck in embarrassment. Instead of answering, she looks at the window, and to her surprise; snow is falling along with the twinkling stars.

 

Sketching really keeps Chaeyoung attention from anything else. 

 

“I didn’t know I drew that long. You should have told me,” Chaeyoung tells Mina, whose gaze is still on her drawing. She can’t believe Mina has stayed by her side the whole time. The girl didn’t even move one bit. 

 

Chaeyoung then retrieves the list inside her bag, hoping to complete it before she goes shopping for tomorrow when Mina snatches it from her hand.

 

Mina looks at her threateningly. “I told you we’re taking a break today.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckles back. “We'd already lazed around the entire afternoon, Mina-yah. Let me just finish that quickly. We’re done surveying the whole mansion, anyway. I’ll just add a few things.” 

 

Mina squints her eyes, shaking her head, and says, “We’re not yet done, Chaeyoung-ah.”

 

Chaeyoung looks at her, confused. “Huh? Unless you changed your mind about cleaning the rooms upstairs, I’m pretty positive that—”

 

Chaeyoung’s lengthy speech is cut when Mina stands up and gently offers her hand.

 

It’s Chaeyoung’s turn to narrow her eyes now. “Is this another trick hidden in your sleeve, Mina?” 

 

Mina just giggles. “You’ll see. Come on.”

 

Nonetheless, Chaeyoung accepts Mina's hand as they walk to the room behind the shifting wall.

 

Mina opens the brightest light, illuminating the spiral staircase. 

 

Reaching the second floor, Mina fiddles with something before pulling the hidden stairs leading to the attic. She nudges Chaeyoung, who suddenly feels nervous because they’re currently walking up the stairs which seem to lead into vast nothingness. 

 

Chaeyoung mentally prepares herself for another Mina prank, but upon reaching the end, a bleak room with just enough space for two welcomes her.

 

Mina then gives her giddy look before she opens the lone door and a sight so beautiful meets Chaeyoung’s eyes. 

 

The door leads to a white garden clad in white stretches from Chaeyoung’s feet unto the top of what looks like a hill.

 

With a fairytale-like gazebo on the left and an old Ginkgo tree on the right, it’s like a magical dreamland.

 

Chaeyoung’s glad they both wore thick clothes fit for the weather.

 

It’s the first snowfall, after all. 

 

“This mansion is carved out of the side of this hill,” Mina explains, still with a grin on her face. “The hidden stairs lead to the terrace connecting the house to its peak, allowing a beautiful garden to blossom here every summer.”

 

They walk along the ground pathway dividing the space for the gazebo and the tree. 

 

Below the sturdy shade, Mina removes the snow from the wooden swing and softly pushes Chaeyoung to sit. She then settles herself into one of the stone horse statues beside the tree.

 

Chaeyoung laughs at her, “You look like a knight riding your horse.”

 

Mina giggles. “If that’s the case, then you’re the princess waiting for me.”

 

They both laugh harder. 

 

“Please tell me this is the last thing hidden in this house,”  Chaeyoung tells Mina while gazing at the breathtaking garden. “At this rate, a portal to another world won’t even surprise me.” 

 

Everything looks heavenly clothed in snow.

 

The craftsmanship of this building and its garden are really remarkable. 

 

“Well, actually…” Mina trails making Chaeyoung yell,

 

“Yah!”

 

Mina giggles, accompanying the sounds and chirps of the night.

 

“You surprised me with the game room, then the dumbwaiter, and this! I even thought you were a vampire at first because of the ketchup and refrigerator.” Chaeyoung purses her lips. “In retrospect, maybe you really are one considering your ancient jokes and lightning reflex,” Chaeyoung squints her eyes at Mina.

 

The latter's face breaks into a teasing grin. “If I’m really a vampire, then you should be more surprised at the reason why you're not run

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter