One

Fainting Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Standing beneath the whitewashed portico, Chaeyoung opens the grand wooden doors of the château. Warmth immediately replaces the pricking breeze of the winter night, while the desolate smell of the mansion also greets Chaeyoung.  (Yes — a mansion — her grandmother was really full of surprises.) 

 

Veiled in darkness, Chaeyoung searches for the switch and turns the lights on. A soft glow from the chandelier casts inside the foyer.

 

Chaeyoung drags her suitcase to the room. 

 

Since she was a child, she knew that her favorite granny (sorry, grandma Jeongyeon) was well off; however, she didn’t expect Nana Nayeon to be this rich. 

 

One day, Chaeyoung was just cramming her art project due in the next 24 hours when Sana, her granny’s latest lawyer, had called, greeted her a happy birthday, and subsequently informed her that a huge house in the middle of a forest — old enough to be considered a national heritage — was now under her name. 

 

Apparently, it was the last clause in her Nana Nayeon’s will; something about bestowing this haven to my greatest love — that’s Chaeyoung, obviously — when she finally turns 20.

 

Chaeyoung then scans the place where she’ll be staying for a while. 

 

Inspiration from French renaissance is highly evident in the towering ceilings, intricately patterned walls, and alternate use of red, white, and gold.

 

Walking along the corridor with the moonlight streaming in, Chaeyoung finds herself in a spacious living room. It’s circular floor and double-height ceiling engulfs Chaeyoung, making her feel like a knight lost in one of the castle’s towers. 

 

Chaeyoung then uncovers the sofa. She removes her coat and gently lays it on the back.

 

Most of the furniture is hidden under white drapes, dusted and thick. Even the paintings sport their own decorative cobwebs which draw a sigh out of Chaeyoung. 

 

There’s a lot to do before she can comfortably settle in.

 

Chaeyoung’s about to stand up when a photograph solely perched on the wooden table catches her attention. It’s Nana Nayeon, maybe in her early twenties, smiling brightly with grandma Jeongyeon and their friends. 

 

She picks it up and tightens her grip around the frame.

 

Deep in the hollows of her heart, Chaeyoung knew that her grandma was the type to pull off such a crazy stunt like this. Her eccentricity always catches Chaeyoung off guard, and that’s what made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter