Three

Fainting Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Chaeyoung wakes up as the sun begins to rise.

 

After some time preparing herself, she moves to the foyer, debating if she’ll take a quick bite down the kitchen or just immediately go to work. Chaeyoung chooses the latter, not wanting to disturb Mina by the sounds of the old refrigerator, just in case she's still asleep. She just adds the fridge to the mental list she’ll buy after surveying the whole mansion.

 

Tiptoeing past the antechamber, the sunlight flowing down the windows is quite a majestic sight to see. From now on, Chaeyoung knows she'll see it every morning, but still, she can't help feeling lucky. She stops for a moment just to bask under the sun before she continues to the double door leading to the windowless quarter beside the living room.

 

Chaeyoung fumbles with the keyring Mina has given her and opens the door. She turns the light on, and she’s surprised to see tables and chairs neatly aligned inside the rectangular room. Complete with a small platform and podium, it’s like a mini-conference hall.

 

Chaeyoung just shrugs before retrieving the cleaning supplies they used yesterday.

 

She returns almost immediately, so she's startled when a shadow suddenly crosses the previously empty room.

 

“AAAH!" Chaeyoung shouts. "MINA!” She almost drops the broom in her hand. “You always scare me to death!”

 

Mina lets out a brief laugh, clearly amused by how easily frightened Chaeyoung is. “I apologize. I heard you walking downstairs and decided to help you out.”

 

Chaeyoung swears she didn’t hear anyone traversing the stairs, but dismisses it on the walls of the stone mansion.

 

“You should eat first. I already ate downstairs, but I made you something. I hope it suits your taste.” Mina nods at the plate filled with toasts, hotdogs, and eggs. There’s also a steaming mug of coffee on the side.

 

Chaeyoung’s mouth waters at the simple yet thoughtful breakfast prepared in front of her. “You didn’t have too…” As soon as those words leave Chaeyoung’s mouth, her stomach counters them with a growl. 

 

Mina tries to hide her bubbling laugh, but another sound comes out of Chaeyoung’s tum, and then she can't help it anymore, her laugh gracefully bounces off the four-sided wall. 

 

“It’s nothing really,” Mina reassures Chaeyoung as she wipes the tears off her eyes. “Consider it as payment for scaring you twice.” Mina, fresh from laughing, smiles with her gums, and Chaeyoung feels something stir up inside of her; Chaeyoung blames it on hunger. 

 

“Thank you, Mina.” She singsongs before digging in while Mina starts moving the chairs to the side. 

 

 

“Say, Mina, what did Nana use this room for?” Chaeyoung asks after finishing her coffee. (She’s delighted by the fact that they both have the same taste in how they take their coffee.) 

 

Her diligent companion doesn’t pause from mopping the vacant floors, but she satisfies Chaeyoung’s curiosity as she answers: “She told me the original owners were a powerful family, so they probably used this as a gathering hall or something?” Mina answers cutely, brows furrowing, trying not to break the lines she made on the floor.

 

“Oh. So Nana bought this and didn’t even bother changing things. Such a lazy bum,” Chaeyoung shakes her head in mock disapproval. “That explains some of the remaining odd decors,” she adds.

 

“Yes, I think Nayeon bought this from the owners after serving them for years but kept it mostly the same.” Chaeyoung nods. She knew that bit, her Nana working under a rich family a long time ago.

 

What Chaeyoung didn’t know was why and how she had bought the mansion.

 

“It seemed Nana had told you a lot of things, huh,” Chaeyoung comments, without malice in her voice. “She really liked you that much?”

 

Mina ducks her head shyly. “Nayeon had told me stories now and then. She said I reminded her of her only granddaughter in Seoul.” Mina adds the last part inadvertently, her concentration still on the floor.

 

That's also why she doesn’t notice the guilt flashing on her companion's face.

 

Chaeyoung clenches her fist unconsciously.

 

If she had known that her grandma was suffering from cancer, she would have stayed by her side instead of studying in the city. If only her parents didn't keep it to themselves…

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter