PART 2

You, Me, Us

Few days after Nayeon being discharged from the hospital. Her mother health condition worsening. Nayeon is desperate to find a way to raise money for her mother medication and treatment. She still not fully recovers from her injury yet she had no choice but to go out and find a job.

Luck is on her side that day because she landed a job as barista at a small coffee shop. It is a corner shop in the cozy neighborhood. The coffee shop was far from her home but Nayeon didn't mind as long as she had a job.

 

It was late when Nayeon reach her home. From the front door she could see her mother sitting on a wheelchair watching television.

"Mom, have you eaten?"

Madam Im is quiet. Her eyes don't glow. Her lips pale. Next to her wheelchair were drink and medicines and some apples. No sign indicated that it was touched by her mother.

“Mom, tomorrow you have an appointment with the doctor, remember?" asked Nayeon gently.

"No. Nayeon, you didn't have to waste time and money by going to the doctor. I'm tired.”

 Her mother weakly reply.

"Nayeon… I want to see you get married before I close my eyes." Her mother brushes Nayeon's hair softly. Her tears welled up and slowly fell to Nayeon's cheeks.

 

 

“Welcome to the Wow coffee shop. What do you want to order?” Nayeon asked the woman in front of her. This blonde hair woman looks elegant and beautiful. Her beautiful blonde hair suits her facial features.

“One hot chocolate and one latte” 

‘Her voice is soft’ Nayeon thought to herself before taking the order. Nayeon trailed the woman with her eyes until she seated on the corner of the shop with beautiful ginger hair woman.

 

Sana and momo often came to the coffee shop Wow. Although it is small, but they love the coffee and atmosphere of this coffee shop.

“So.. you finally made up your mind..“  Momo start the conversation first.

Yes. We had no other choice Mo. Mina and Jeongyeon are looking for a potential surrogate mother. It is not easy to find a surrogate mother though. It is a complicated process… and yes it takes time… but I am willing to wait” Sana said while playing with her fingers before drinking slowly her hot chocolate. 
“Mmmm…delicious..” Sana face looks delightful while drinking her hot chocolate. Momo just chuckled watching her bestfriend. 
Sana just spilled her hot chocolate on the table. “Aigoo this squirrel. You're lucky Mina loves your clumsy self”  Momo just laugh loudly at Sana before they hears commotion coming from the counter. 

 

A group of men surrounded a woman and pulled her out of the coffee shop and headed straight towards the back of the shop. Momo and Sana who were concerned about the woman's safety slowly followed them.

"Pay or die" Momo and Sana heard a man said before he punches the woman's stomach.

“Hey..what are you doing? Leave her alone .. o.. or.. I will call cop  ” Momo dared to speak even though her tone of voice sounded scared. Sana who was standing next to Momo grasping Momo's hand tightly.

 

Seeing a group of men who just smiled at them and did not budge. Momo did not know where her courage came from, she shouted with all her might. " Help us !!!.. Help us!!" Momo scream frantically.  

 

Hearing the screams from Momo, the group of men immediately fled before shouting. "You are lucky today Im Nayeon. I’ll be seeing you soon !!"

Sana and Momo immediately ran towards the woman lying weakly on the ground. The bottom of her cheek was bruised and she was holding her stomach trying to bear the pain. 

 

“You..you the barista..are you okay? Let’s get you the hospital. My husband works there” Momo immediately helped the barista to sit down. Sana reached for her handbag and immediately dialed the emergency number but was stopped by Nayeon.

"No need. I am okay. I need to go back to work ”Nayeon got up slowly and thanked both Sana and Momo for helping her.

"Wait, at least let us help treat the bruise first" Sana held Nayeon's wrist to prevent her from walking. Sana pointing her finger towards the bruise.

 

Nayeon sighed and took them to the kitchen. Momo told Nayeon to sit on the available chair and immediately went to the fridge and took the ice pack. Momo put ice in her handkerchief and gently pressed against the bruises on the barista's cheeks.

"Thank you" Nayeon once again thanked them.

"Your welcome!" Momo and Sana simultaneously said before a small laugh was heard in the kitchen.

“Im Nayeon. That's your name right "said Sana while pointing towards the name tag on Nayeon's shirt. Nayeon just nodded her head.

"Your name is beautiful. It means beautiful destiny. I loves researching names, that why I know " Sana continue again.

 

"I'm Sana and this is Momo, my best friend"  Sana introduced herself and Momo to Nayeon. Sana held out her hand and Nayeon immediately greeted her.

“Nice to meet you Sana.. Momo..”  Nayeon smiled at them and shake both of their hand.

“Sorry, but I must ask. Who were those men? ” Momo who was curious from earlier asked. Nayeon's body stiffen when she hears a question from Momo. She was lucky because her coworker enter the kitchen.

 

 

“Hey Nayeon, are you okay?. I saw those men..ohh hi?” Nayeon coworker awkwardly wave towards Sana and Momo. “I am okay Jihyo.. let’s get back to work” Nayeon politely bid her goodbye and ushering Momo and Sana outside.  “Here..my business card. Call me if you need any help" Momo handed her business card to Nayeon before leaving the coffee shop with Sana.

 

Loan shark kept bugging her life since her father passed away 5 years ago. Her life is in turmoil since the sudden passing of her father and that leaves them with huge amount of debt to pay. Her mother work hard to pay off the debt and fall sick since last year.

Nayeon only need 100k Korean Won to pay the remaining debt. But she stuck ,where can she find or make that much money in shorter time? If she does not pay the debt immediately, both of their lives will be in grave danger.  

 

Nayeon remembered the words from Momo. A kind-hearted stranger who helped her the other day. ‘Call me if you need any help’ the words kept revolving inside Nayeon's head. She took Momo's business card from her purse and pressed the cell phone button and dialed Momo's number.

“Hello. Is this Momo? I am Nayeon ”

 

Nayeon could not sleep that night after meeting with Momo and Sana. Nayeon's brain was busy thinking of a proposition from Momo. ‘Will you be a surrogate mother to Sana?’Those question from Momo, both Nayeon and Sana was shocked at first but Momo explain further to Sana and Nayeon. Eventually Sana agree with this but she need to ask her husband. For Nayeon, considering her situation she rethinking Momo's suggestion. They will pay her for becoming surrogate mother and will be bound by the written agreement.

 

After a few days of thinking about this, Nayeon finally made a decision. She sent a short message to Momo. ‘Okay I agree with your proposition’. Nayeon's mother forbade her daughter from becoming a surrogate mother but Nayeon explained their current financial situation and the need to cover her mother's medical costs.

 

“Baby..I may or may not find our potential surrogate mother” Sana softly drop the bomb to Mina.  Mina, who was drinking coffee, choked on his wife's words.

 “What?? You find what?”

“Potential surrogate mother. She’s beautiful and healthy”   Sana explain to Mina.

“But baby, why didn’t you discuss first with me? Is it my opinions didn’t matter?” Mina sounded hurt when he says that.

“I am sorry Mina but it was all Momo fault. She’s the one who suggested this!”   Sana tried to defend herself. She scoots her body closer to Mina and hug him. She tries to apologize to him.

Mina took a deep breath and said "I need to meet this woman first"   Mina loves Sana but in this case he needs to be firm in making decisions. He must first meet the woman.

 

After sending Sana to her office, Mina stopped by the coffee shop to meet the woman, the potential ‘surrogate mother’. Mina entered the coffee shop and continued walking towards the counter.

"Welcome…" Nayeon stood frozen at the back of the counter when she saw the man standing in front of her. “Mi..mina?” a name she had not mentioned for a long time. The name that used to escape from her lips. The name that once occupied her heart.

"Nayeon..."  Mina heartbeat increasing upon seeing this women in front of him.