Fin.

Smother Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 [CONTENTID1]Fin.[/CONTENTID1]

 [CONTENTID2]Chapter XVIII [/CONTENTID2]

 [CONTENTID3]

         "Today is beautiful." She hums along to the song playing on his phone as she looks over the car window, where the sun slowly peeks over the passing green pastures. Approximately an hour from now, they will be returning home and life shall resume from yesterday.

 

         Irene's hand moves up to his nape while he drives; her thumb massaging over his sore spots while she asks, "feeling sleepy?"

 

         "Nah, grandma's coffee jolted me awake, to be honest. I'm not even sure if I can sleep later at night. How many spoonfuls of coffee was that?" he replies, mentioning the caretaker of that guest house, and they both laugh upon recalling the heavily bitter taste of that morning drink she offered.

 

         "I don't think I'll be able to sleep later as well. Not without you by my side." There is no somberness in her voice as she says this her words are laced with light honesty. Just the fact that she can freely long and miss for someone who would certainly feel the same is a blessing in itself.

 

         Mino takes one hand off the wheel to hold hers, bringing it to his lips for a gentle kiss. "I will call you later tonight and if that is not enough, it, we can always go out for a drive like this one again."

 

         Irene reaches out to hug him from the side and place fervent kisses along his cheeks and jawline. "I do not mean to be cheesy, but you sound like a postmodern Romeo, ready to grab her postmodern Juliet for some strolling around Han River." she softly chuckles.

 

         "The stakes are higher on this one, thanks to the internet, but at least we're not so dumb to drink poison, no?" He tears his eyes away from the road for a second to steal a quick kiss on her lips.

 

         "No, we're not. We'll learn from them and our past selves. We'll be fine." Irene sighs and rests her head on his shoulder.

 

         Together, they observe the flashing scenery. Their conversation remains light and casual, as they continue to drive home. The simplicity of the situation made it more special. For the time being, the two of them are normal people, no eyes follow them and they are free to be themselves.

 

         Time ticks slowly and they relish every second.

 

         "This is it." Two hours have passed and now Irene peers through the tinted glass where high-rise buildings greet her. She turns her attention back at the male and she instantly falls silent upon seeing him observing her intently.

 

        "This is it, indeed," he agrees as he rests his palm on her cheek. "I wanted to ask, how are you feeling?"

 

         "Lighter. More self-aware." She replies. Irene leans to his warm touch whilst closing her eyes. She remembers the serene rural place, the number of tears she poured last night, the courage she had to build to be completely honest with her feelings for him, and the passionate and earnest love-making that spontaneously happened after. She had felt so much, and expressed so much.

 

        There are so many simple things that other people could do easily and yet celebrities like them had to suppress.  However this time, she was able to, whilst being with Mino. A day might be too short to release all the burden she had built up, but at least she had made a huge leap for a start. "Thankful too," she adds. "I get to be reunited with you."

 

         "And you won't get rid of me so easily," he replies playfully but with much certainty too.

 

         For a long moment, they just stare at each other; a million more words spoken within their locked gazes. Unbuckling her seatbelt, she leans in to kiss him one last time for the day and Mino responds to it, softly caressing her lips lovingly.

 

         Finally, she wears her disguise and exits the car. Onwards she goes, straight ahead, until she reaches her dormitory.

 

         Mino, upon receiving a text that she has arrived safely, goes his own way too.

 

         They are finally home.

 

 

         Two weeks later, Mino's promotions through a music show ensue as per usual. Wearing a matching plaid coat, beret, pants in blues and reds, Mino proudly stood at the frontmost part of the stage. His song, Fiancé, wins 1st for the week again.


         With a trophy in one hand and his microphone on the other, he performs his encore amongst other idols on the stage. Almost everyone danced along with him, waving their bodies when the chorus part dropped.
 

        Song Mino is as proud and confident as he can be, but most importantly, he is filled with happiness, knowing that somewhere behind him, there stood the most important person in his life at the moment, probably watching him with a proud smile on her lips.

 

         Once the program ended, Mino made haste to change his clothes to simpler ones to gain the least attention possible. He also excused himself from his staff and manager, telling them he would catch up soon after. As soon as everything is in order, he makes his way to the promised rendezvous.

 

         Irene and he promised to meet each other on the rooftop, but he didn't expect he would be cornered by the four other members of Red Velvet themselves. There, blocking the emergency exit that leads to the rooftop, stood Joy, Yeri, Seulgi, and Wendy, gazing at him speculatively.

 

         Mino smiles and bows courteously at them, trying his best to remain unfazed with this surprise. He has seen enough movies and had experienced this back in his younger days enough that when one dates a woman with a clique, he needs to court the rest of the members for their approval. He long knew that he will eventually be meeting them, but not exactly at the moment where he is most unprepared.

 

         "So this is the man who has stolen our Irene eonnie's heart," Joy, who probably is the most brazen amongst them, circles around Mino with arms crossed and an eyebrow raised.

 

         "Yes, it is I," he said, quite amused when Yeri, the youngest decides to circle him too. The two youngest almost seemed like sharks circling their prey, except that they are both quite too adorable doing it. "Pleasure to meet you all... again."

 

        Again. The word sets Wendy free from acting tough as she proudly blurts out, "I knew Irene eonnie and you had something back then! That

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter