Chapter 3 - Discomfort

1916
I woke up to the noise of the hands on my wall clock, just before the Jiwoo family rooster crows. A strange mist covered the farms as far as I could see, it would be impossible to do any work that morning - and possibly sometime in the afternoon. Stopping at my window, staring at the residence of my friend, whose figure was resting in her backyard with a cup in hand, I wondered if there was any chance of being with Jiwoo that afternoon, making him the company that possibly needed.
 
I had a great hurry for the Jiwoo family, his mother - Mrs. Kim - whose name had never even been spoken to us, was a lover of art, specifically of classical music, sometimes we had come in the afternoon talking about Beethoven and Mozart and their beautiful symphonies; Jiwoo had a sister, just a little older than she, besides Jungeu, I hadn't really met her, except for a few photos and memories of her own family, I just knew she was gone a few years ago, left to France in search of other opportunities in a new nation, in my last conversations with Jiwoo, my friend had told me that her sister had married a descendant of Japanese, and was having great successes in the art galleries, as well as his wife, who was known for its dance ahead of its time.
 
The sound of the footsteps was drowned out by the socks he wore, a strong wool that was warmed by his steps. The descent down the stairs had been so silent that there seemed to be no one else in my house, the cold made my lips tremble and the crucifix on the wall was completely ignored. The kitchen was strangely heated, possibly by the stove whose open nozzles released the blue flame. The kettle beeped, showing that the boiling liquid was already in place, there was smoke coming from the cups on the table, and closed eyes with joined hands showed that the prayer had started.
 
There was extreme care in my movements, the most silent so that the prayer was not interrupted. The hot coffee put my tongue to sleep, and I couldn't help dissatisfied at the lack of my favorite mug. The prayer ended at the beginning of the steps by the stairs, it was not impossible to walk in a stealthy way through the corridors of the house, not without thick protective socks, in the middle of the cold periods the wood creaked.
 
Brown strands appeared in my eyes, my sisters' attention dispersed to the newcomer. The wooden chairs creaked as they both rose, the girl bowed in respect to my mother's figure and my mug stopped in front of my lips, allowing the smoke to embrace them.
 
- Bo-good morning - She said as in a whisper - I ...
 
- Good morning my dear - Mom lifted her body, repeating the girl's movement - Sit down, please. Are you hungry? Did you enjoy yesterday's dinner? I hope the accommodations have pleased you.
 
She appeared to be lost, confused in the midst of concerned questions from my mother. A high-pitched sound was heard and in a blink she was already seated. My eyes blinked when they found his brownish orbs and the liquid wetted my pajamas. I felt silly for a moment, the glow of the browns had attracted me for a while, something tightened in my stomach and the air was missing in my lungs allowing me to gasp. I turned my back on the scene ahead of me, allowing me to enjoy my coffee in the calm of the cold day.
 
The sea that covered the fields was white and could blind the most unsuspecting walk of that cold morning. On average, it seemed to be a beautiful setting to be observed from the highest floor of a very warm house, strangely, I didn't feel able to return to my accommodations at that moment. Something stopped me, a strange feeling of discomfort caused my shoulders to shrink, however I would never admit that I would go outside. The eyes tired from the intense sleep made almost concrete illusions implant themselves in front of me, like the sound of wood being cut, and the curved figure of a tired man cutting it.
 
- It's uncomfortable - I said before the figure beside me opened his mouth. My eyes lowered, analyzing the dense fog from the cold.
 
- What is uncomfortable?
 
- You left, the pressure of being in your place, when she arrived. It's uncomfortable. My fingers rubbed my cold face. - Why is it so hard?
 
He laughed bitterly.
 
- It's not difficult, stay as you are, Hyunjin. Difficulties can come all the time, in times of war, outside of times of war, keeping calm is the best way to deal with them, understand? Discomfort is inevitable in the end. You will handle them well. - He gave a smile - See you at the front ...
 
I shook my head, my eyes running across the white field. An ironic laugh broke off my lips as the figure moved away, sinking into the fog.
 
- Hyunjin ...? - I blinked at the call - Are you okay? Who was here? Hyun ...
 
I sighed, turning towards Yerim.
 
- Hyun? You're...
 
- I'm fine, Yerim, I'm fine. - I waved my hands in front of my face - What do you need?
 
 
 
ℋ⚜ ℋ
 
 
 
The cold entered the small cracks in the wood of the small saddlery at the back of my house. My lips trembled and the wool coat felt strangely wet because of the sweat that ran, even though it was cold my body burned. I grabbed some wooden logs with my black-gloved hand, lining them up in my arms the best way, there was a small warning that I should replenish the stock - at that moment I thanked Yerim for his extreme organization.
 
The logs were not heavy, and the way to the warm of my house had been made without further problems. It was still possible to feel the pleasant warmth of the last logs that crackled in the fireplace, Hyejoo had disappeared for the rest of the afternoon, or he just wished he didn't meet me. It was not uncommon for the scene in my room to be based on a female figure sitting on the sofa, with an old book on her legs and a watchful eye for every letter that was almost erased, that afternoon, however, there was only one thing that differentiated it from the original scenes which I was already used to.
 
He was close to the window and the view would be almost imperceptible if the strong winds did not shake his beautiful brown curls, there was a closed book on his legs and the clothes he wore seemed to have fallen off with some leftovers. Above all, it was terribly beautiful for that cold day. The logs almost fell from my hands, in a little juggling I quickly got around the situation, feeling the burning in my cheeks that would soon be disguised by the intense cold.
 
In small steps I headed upstairs, feeling the burning in my back, I was still able to feel the discomfort tighten in my gut, followed by the look of the girl in the window.