Chapter 2 - Symphony number 4

1916
- They stopped coming ... You know? The letters...
 
Jiwoo's almost whispered words stopped my movements in their midst. I couldn't let myself be surprised by your words. The letters ... I haven't received them in a while.
 
- How is Jungeu dealing with this? - I couldn't help asking, leaning my hoe on the nearest tree.
 
The sun was burning on our bare skin, and the amount of sweat was starting to bother me. Jiwoo deposited the bag full of green apples on the floor, his body was covered with a thick layer of sweat and droplets dripped down his face. We were panting with fatigue, knowing that we hadn't even completed half of our tasks for that long day.
 
- It is inconsolable - Jiwoo sniffed as he crouched, under a small shadow. - First dad, then Jinsoul. He is afraid that they will not return. I confess, I also have it. But, I'm trying to deal with it.
 
- She too, Jiwoo .... - I sighed - My sisters still pray, my mother too. I think I am giving up little by little, I still have hope, she is the last to leave, isn't she?
 
Jiwoo shook his head, a silent agreement. She looked up, watching the clear sky above us.
 
- You know, sometimes I think how they must be. How should the battlefield be? - She bit one of the apples in her bag.
 
- Certainly worse than what we're seeing. - He said extending his hand, as a silent request for one of his apples - I can still remember some letters from my father.
 
- What did he say?
 
- Most of the time he said that the Germans were - I couldn't help smiling a little - But he missed us. - I sat next to Jiwoo, resting my hand on his shoulder - Don't lose hope, they will come back.
 
Jiwoo agreed, shaking his head, standing up.
 
- I will not go. I think, I'm being the most hopeful in the end. - She smiled. - Correcting, we are being hopeful.
 
I laughed, a small, dry laugh that scratched my throat.
 
- Perhaps. - I got up too - Now come on, we need to finish this before it gets dark.
 
 
 
ℋ⚜ ℋ
 
 
The wind ruffled the dark threads as the night came and as the sound of the symphony started in my mind. Some houses were already lit, illuminating parts of the street I was passing by, Jiwoo had left before nightfall, with an insistent call from his mother and a promise from me to help him with the next day's tasks. My lips sometimes moved, reproducing without tone any other small lost poem, of those unnoticed that would soon be forgotten by the worried mind.
 
The walk to my house had been made in the midst of almost complete silence, having been replaced a few times by the sound of my boot hitting the dirt floor, and it had not been long. Upon arriving at my gate, I couldn't help observing the nearest house - which belonged to the Jiwoo family - whose only window, which I recognized to be my friend's, was lit, where it was possible to catch a glimpse of Kim Jiwoo from his window, moving quickly inside your room. The gate made a high-pitched noise when it opened, possibly attracting the attention of a few animals nearby, I walked in quick steps to the door of the house, more than quickly entering my warm and uncomfortable home.
 
Some of the lights were on, my indication that my mother and sisters would be home that night. My entry into the house had been well received by Yerim, who was reading a small book on the worn-out sofa in the living room, she looked up at me, sending me an open and happy smile, she started to open - possibly to me directing a greeting or even a question - but the sound of falling pots coming from the kitchen stopped the movement of his lips. We remained in deep silence until Yerim waved his right hand, disregarding the act he had done before.
 
I decided, for the sake of myself, to go up the stairs towards my room, I was sweaty and almost completely dirty - my clothes and hands had leftover dirt and dust from my work that afternoon - besides, my muscles demanded a moment of relaxation.
 
I ignored my surroundings when walking down the almost gloomy corridor of my house, being lit only by a single gas lamp attached to the wall, however, I couldn't help noticing in the only closed door - and apparently locked - whose pale light passed in a beam through wide opening close to the floor, I considered slamming the door and having a brief moment of hospitality, however, the cry of my body for a relaxing bath was greater than any desire for a good introduction to the newest tenant of my residence.
 
The water, already cold after a few hours, had wrinkled the skin on my fingers. Fatigue hit me while I put on some clothes in my drawers. I rummaged through my bag in search of my little poetry notebook, the furniture crackled in the cold, and other than that, the silence ended up becoming deafening. I stopped a little in front of the window, enjoying the cold wind for a few minutes, a little distant from my house, I could see the Jiwoo family's property, whose lights were almost all off, except for what seemed to be coming from my room. friend.
 
I pulled out of my room, holding the small notebook in my hands. My eyes met the locked door of Hyejoo's room, probably my sister would still be angry with me for the morning's events, I thought about slamming the door, apologizing and making up, however, Hyejoo's words had, in fact, hurt me , and at that moment, I still felt upset with her.
 
I walked, in a few steps, to the room that hosted the newest girl, it only took two touches on the door for it to be opened. A subtle symphony played, in a low tone, on the small shiny radio, I recognized it as Beethoven's fourth symphony, one of which helped me on tragic nights of troubled dreams. The beautiful young woman was sitting in front of an old wooden table - one of which I had set up shortly after my father's departure - looking quite focused on the movement of her hands, she was arranging a large red hair tie. The room was neat and tidy, and seemed to be part of another reality, strangely it seemed to match the girl who occupied it at that moment, with some bags stacked beside the bed and the pale light contrasting with the beige walls.
 
I leaned back against the doorjamb, allowing myself to watch the movement of its thin fingers, the symphony slowly relaxed me.
 
- Hm ... Good night - I started - I apologize for my lack of hospitality, unfortunately I had issues to resolve. I hope you enjoy your time here. - The room stayed silent for some time. I was aware that, at best, she would try to ignore my words - I believe that dinner will begin soon, you can join us. The movement of his fingers stopped, showing that for a moment my words seemed to have his attention. - I'll go now. - I bowed slightly, in a brief greeting, and, ready to walk away and close the door, I stopped watching her once more - It's a beautiful tie, if I may say so.
 
I closed the door gently, listening to the last touches of the symphony. That day I retired early for my rest, Heejin had not joined us for dinner and Yerim had been willing to leave him a plate before going to bed. In the middle of that night, when I woke up to use the bathroom, the light in the newly occupied room was still on, symphony number four was still playing, a little lower and even more subtle than before, and in the midst of that, sobs and moans Jeon Heejin's tears can be heard.
 
It had been difficult to close my eyes after that, a strange feeling consumed my chest, allowing only my eyes to close close to sunrise.