Chapter 8: The Way Back Home

Love Will Always Be

Chaeyoung’s POV

It seems like I've been walking this endless corridor for days and everything's the same. I'm stuck and I don't know for how long. I still kept on calling for my grandmother but no one came. I kept screaming but it still didn't make a difference. I was starting to lose hope. I really want to wake up but I don't know how. I kept walking again until I saw an unfamiliar door. It wasn't there before. I thought because even though everything else is the same I would know if there was any change. Out of curiosity, I opened the door and saw a single chair inside and a projector of some sort and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Before me played my life; so I sat down and watched. It was like seeing a movie; a movie of my life. From the day I was born up until the accident. I didn't know how long I was watching, I didn't really have any reference as of the time and when it was over I found myself crying. Just after a few minutes, another video started and it showed my family after my death, well, it is what it looks like because they were standing over my grave. Even the Myoui’s were there, Mina was there and she was crying; well all of them are but I was more focused on her. I could feel her pain and it made me cry even more. The next few videos were just a few months after 'my death': everything was not the same anymore. My parents were like robots because they still went to work but talks to no one and do the same thing as the day passes while my siblings suffered from depression. With Mina, her alter ego Black Swan kind of like took over her life. She became a total to everyone in school and even to her family. I couldn't even look at the screen anymore. It made me look back on what my grandmother told me; about my choices in life. I admit that most of them were not good. I mean, I disobey my parents but they still gave me what I want, I smoke, I drink, I drag race and sometimes I even take drugs. What future do I really have? I know deep inside I'm a good person, it's just that I chose to do bad things, YOLO right? But maybe this second accident was my wake-up call in life, that I can still go back if I really wanted to and pursue my aspirations in life. I really wanted to join the army but my parents never really wanted that path. It's like giving them another reason to worry about my life, despite knowing that I'll be serving the country. I do have a second option, and that is to become a musician; and I guess I'll focus on that if ever I get the chance to wake up. I mean, of course I have to finish high school first.

When I finished watching, I went out the door and headed back to 'my room' and that's when I saw Mina again. I looked down on my body and saw how crappy I look. Will she still like me even when I'm broken and bruised? I thought to myself. I stood opposite her and saw her crying once again. She held my hand and I felt it. I wonder why her touch is the only one I feel though. Anyway, I just watched her (since I really can't do anything else) and listened to her as she talks to my sleeping form.

Mina's POV

I visited Chaeyoung after school and she looks just the same. I feared that she will never wake up; that one day my mom would have to offer unplugging the life support which I really hope she wouldn't because then I will never have the chance to be with her. It's selfish of me to think that I only want Chaeyoung for myself but of course, I want her to live. I was gathering my thoughts on what I would say to her today because I've been telling her the same thing: that I want her to wake up, that I don't want her to leave us yet for her family, friends and for me as well. I held her hand and stared at her face.

"Chaeng, please wake up now. I miss hearing your voice. I miss seeing you smile because you don't do that often. I miss your badass attitude. I miss your rants about the little things that annoy you because we're the same. I miss hearing you play your guitar at night when you thought everyone's asleep. Above all the things that I miss, your family really misses you so much. For the past weeks, I've seen your mom and dad get disoriented or zoned out during the dinners that we had. According to my siblings, Ryujin and Yuna exclude themselves at school; and it's all because they really worried that you might leave them one of these days. I don't even know how I'd feel if ever that happens, what more your family, right? Please don't give up yet Chaeng. Please?" After I talked to Chaeyoung, I kissed her cheek and tried to hug her cautiously. I stared at her one more time and was about to leave when I felt something.

Did she just move her finger? "Chaeyoung? Can you hear me?" I waited for a few minutes then I felt another movement. Oh my god, I can't believe this is happening. I immediately pressed the red button to call on a nurse and almost in an instant; a nurse entered the room followed by my mom and Mrs. Son.

"Mina, what's wrong?" My mom asked.

"She…she…she moved her finger…twice" I answered.

"Are you sure?" it was Mrs. Son who asked me this time. My mom approached Chaeyoung right away and checked her vitals. I let go of her hand and Mrs. Son replaced me and held her hand.

"Chae, honey, this is mom. Can you hear me?" she was already crying when she spoke to her daughter so we waited if there would be another movement and there was.

I stood at the bottom of the bed when I witnessed her opening her eyes again. She was finally waking up. She was looking at me and I smiled like really wide.

"W…wh…where am I?" Those were here first few words and her mother held her hand tightly.
"Oh honey, you're in the hospital. You were in an accident but you're fine now" her mom answered. My mom checked all the machines again before confirming that everything is normal. I couldn't wait to talk to her again but of course I had to give this time to her family first. Her mom adjusted her bed so she was sort of sitting up.

My mom did some tests to make sure that Chaeyoung’s okay. "Chaeyoung, how are you feeling right now?" she asked.

Chaeyoung looked at my mom then answered. "I…I don't know. My m…mouth is d…dry though" Her mom immediately gave her water and helped her drink it. She looked around the room and saw me. I smiled at her but her reaction and what she said next was something I did not quite expect.

"W…where's Sana?" Chaeyoung said and my jaw just dropped to the floor.

Myoui Sachiko’s POV

When I heard the emergency buzzer coming from Chaeyoung’s room, Cho-Hee and I ran to her room right away. When we got there, I saw my daughter and she told us that Chaeyoung just moved her finger twice which was a great progress. I checked her vitals right away and everything looks normal. She was now awake and I thank the heavens for answering our prayers. But in all honesty, this is quite a surprise even for me. I didn't think that she would wake up right away because normally people who had been in such accidents goes into come for a minimum of a month or more but with Chaeyoung, it has only been three weeks. I'm very happy that this just happened. I let Cho-Hee talk to her daughter but when I saw her looking at Mina, I felt something wrong. She was looking for Minotazaki Sana, her best friend / ex girl friend. I knew her because she came with Chaeyoung on their first day here. And Cho-Hee had also told me that it was her who took care of Chaeyoung during her first accident. I was hoping that it is not what I think it is.

After Chaeyoung asked her mom where Sana was, Cho-Hee was also surprised with her daughter's question but she answered her anyway. "Honey, Sana is back in Seoul because she goes to school there, remember?"

Chaeyoung squinted her eyes in confusion. "W…what? Aren't we in Seoul?"

Oh no. My theory is slowly becoming true.

"Chaeyoung, we moved to Busan about two months ago. Dr. Myoui here is my child hood best friend and that's her daughter Mina. You two are actually close. Don't you remember?" Chaeyoung shook her head and that is when I confirmed that Chaeyoung has amnesia.

Meanwhile in Seoul

Sana’s POV

It was finally Friday and I just got arrived home from school. I immediately logged on to my Facebook account which I haven't done for a while because I was busy with cheer leading and too tired to bother even checking and saw several messages from Chaeyoung’s brother Ryujin. I clicked it and read the messages.

Sept 2, 2019: Chayoung got into another accident. Seems pretty bad. – Ryujin

Sept 3, 2019: I wish you were here to help her again. She's in St. Luke's Medical Center just in case. I really miss my big sister. :'( - Ryujin

Sept 3, 2019: I'm scared that Chaeng will leave us. Mom and Dad wouldn't tell us anything. :'( - Ryujin

Sept 4, 2019: Went to see Chaeng today but was only allowed a few minutes. She doesn't look anything like my sister anymore. :'( - Ryujin

Without having second thoughts, I packed my bag again and left a note to my mom where I was going. She really doesn't care that much because her tequilas were more important than her. I checked my things before leaving and when I got everything, I hailed a taxi going to the station. The next train will be in an hour so I just waited.

I arrived in Busan and went to the hospital right away. I asked the receptionist where Son Chaeyoung’s room is but didn't give me any information because I was not family. So I called her brother Ryujin and was told that she's in the ICU. I ran to the elevator searching for her room and when I reached the floor, I walked towards the ICU where I saw Mina sitting outside a room, crying. I approached her and immediately saw the shock on her face when she saw me.

"What are you doing here?" she said.

"I heard about what happened to Chaeyoung so I'm here to help her out" I answered.

She began crying and I don't understand why. I don't think I said anything to hurt her feelings. I sat beside her and comforted her. Minutes later, Mrs. Son went out the door and I stood up and hugged her. She too was surprised to see me there.

"Sana, what are you doing here?" she asked me and I told her that Ryujin has been messaging me about Chaeyoung. Mrs. Son told me some devastating news; that Chaeyoung has amnesia and only remembers the things that happened before they moved. Now I understand why Mina was like that. They allowed me to enter Chaeyoung’s room and when I saw her awake, I was just so happy.

"Hey babe" she greeted me and I felt sad. She remembers me being her girlfriend. I went near the bed and held her hand. I kissed her cheek and climb up the bed. She really looks different now.

"How are you Chaeng?" I asked her although I know she's really not okay.

"A little weirded out because my mom said we moved in Busan. I don't believe her because you're here. Did I drink and race again that's why I'm here? Which party did we go?" I listened to her questions and it made me cry. She asked me why I was crying and to be honest I don't know how to tell her. I breathed heavily, held her hand and looked at her in her eyes.

"Chaeng, I don't know how to make this simple but I just have to tell you straight. You have amnesia." I paused and waited for her reaction, when she squinted her eyes I knew she was confused so I continued. "You're no longer in Seoul, you moved to Busan about two months ago. I don't know how the accident happened but we weren't definitely in a party. I just arrived from Seoul some thirty minutes ago"

It was too much for her to take so I stopped. Her mom entered the room again along with Mrs. Myoui and Mina.

Dr. Myoui approached Chaeyoung. "What's the last thing you remember Chaeyoung?"

I can see Chaeyoung trying really hard to remember the last thing she did but is having a hard time.

"I was definitely driving but I don't know where I went before that and where I was going. I just remember being in my car" she said.

Dr. Myoui asked us to go out of the room for them to do another round of tests for Chaeyoung. Mrs. Son, Mina and I waited outside and there was an awkward silence between us. I wanted to ask what really happened but I understand that they're both dealing with a lot of emotions right now so I just sat there quietly.