Chapter 6: The News

Love Will Always Be

Mina's POV

I woke up sweating and had hard time breathing. I just had a dream about Chaeyoung saying goodbye to me. I looked at the time and saw it was just past three o clock in the morning. I shook the thought away thinking it was just a dream and tried to sleep. Three hours later, I woke up because of my alarm and got ready for school. I went down to get breakfast and saw a note from my mom saying that she had to go to the hospital. My siblings were also starting to wake up so I prepared their breakfast. After they ate, I washed the dishes and informed my dad that I'll be leaving for school. I kissed his cheek and went out the door. I didn't see Chaeyoung’s car so I thought she must've gone to school early. I texted my friend Nayeon to pick me up since mom used the car and Chaeyoung already left. When we got to school, we met up with my friends and they were talking about an accident that happened near our neighborhood.

"Hey did you see the news this morning? A car was run over by a truck in the corner of Sujeong-ro and Sujeongseo-ro Road. It wasn't a pretty site and when I passed by that road earlier I can still see the tire marks and there was definitely blood" Momo said as we got inside the classroom. She was clearly grossed out with what she saw and I can just imagine what it looks like. If a car was run over by a truck, there is little to no chance that the car driver will survive.

"I didn't watch the early news. Anyway, have you guys seen Chaeyoung ? Her car wasn't there when I got out of the house so I thought she went here early" I asked my friends and they just shook their heads.

Miss Wendy arrived and started the discussion and Chaeyoung was nowhere to be seen. Where is Chaeyoung? Then I remembered texting her last night to let me know when she gets home and she said she will so I secretly pulled out my phone from my jacket and saw no messages. My heart started to beat really fast as I think for the worse. What if it was Chaeyoung who was in that car? I tried not to think about it during class and distracted myself with the lesson. The day went on and I didn't see Chaeyoung anywhere and I'm really starting to worry. When lunch came, she is still a no show which I thought was already a bad record since it's just the second day of school. I thought she was trying to set a good record since it's her last year but I don't understand why she's not here.

Classes ended and since we don't have cheer leading practice today I headed to the choir room. Nayeon, Dahyun, Momo and Tzuyu were huddled up and watching something on one of their phones.

"What are you guys watching?" I said and they were all surprised. I looked at them and I think I saw Dahyun wiped a tear. I got curious as to what they were watching and when I got a hold of the phone; it was Dahyun’s and the video was paused and I almost flipped when I saw Chaeyoung’s face on it. I pressed the replay button and I just had to sit down.

After watching the video of the news from this morning I found myself crying, I was devastated because of what happened to Chaeyoung. I knew I should have gone to that bar last night to pick her or at least called her parents to make sure she got home but I didn't and look where she is now. When I gathered some strength, I ran out of the choir room and bumped into Miss Wendy but I didn't stop. Tzuyu was right behind me and we headed to her car.

I got the information as to what hospital she was brought so I asked Tzuyu to drive there and after fifteen minutes, we reached St. Luke's Medical Center and immediately looked for my mom for I know it would be easier to get the information from her. The receptionist told us she's in her office so we ran to the elevator and pressed the fourth floor. When we reached to the designated floor, we ran out of the elevator and headed for my mom's office. I saw her talking to a really tired Mrs. Son. The first thing I did was hug her and we both cried. When we both calmed down I sat down on the other chair as Tzuyu sat behind us.

"I just saw the news mom. Why didn't you tell me? Is she alright now? Can I see her?" I bombarded my mom with questions.

My mom and Chaeyoung’s mom looked at each other. "Honey, I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you. I've just been busy here. Chaeyoung’s in the ICU as of the moment and I think you have to ask Cho’s permission first if you want to see her"

I looked at Mrs. Son and she met me with sad eyes. I wanted to cry again because I can definitely feel her pain but she nodded.

 

General POV

Son Cho-Hee led Mina to Chaeyoung's room and as soon as saw her condition, she had the same reaction as Chaeyoung’s mom earlier. Mrs. Son left Mina to give her some time with Chaeyoung. Mina approached the bed with tears in her eyes. She held her hand and stared at her. The once beautiful face is now covered with cuts and bruises; Mina couldn't believe that this is Son Chaeyoung she's looking at. Her mom definitely did a good job in stitching her up but a trip under the laser will help hide the possible scars. She tried to picture her state when she was brought here. She imagined her all bloody and almost lifeless. She cried harder than she ever had before and she doesn't know why. I mean, they were friends so of course she cares for her. She remembered her dream earlier and couldn't believe that for some reason, she felt Chaeyoung was in danger. She was saying goodbye in her dream and with her condition right now, trying not thinking about the worse but there is a possibility that it could actually happen. She held her hand tighter and leaned herself to Chaeyoung’s ear.

"Chaeng, I know you can hear me so I want you to know that you need to live. I mean, your family needs you to live. Remember you plan after high school? You can do all of those when you get better and we will all be there to support you. You have a bright future ahead of you because you're talented and great on the things that you do" she paused because she's not sure if it's the right time to say it. So she sighed heavily then continued, "I need you to live Chaeng because…because…because I like you. It may sound selfish of me to say that when you're fighting for your life, but I can't stand not to see you as the day passes. I know I've been a at times, it's just me covering up what I feel coz I wasn't sure yet and I'm scared. And now I'm even more scared to know what's going to happen next. Please don't leave us Chaeng. Please don't leave me" with that she kissed Chaeyoung in her cheek and looked at her one more time before leaving the room.

 

Chaeyoung’s POV

I hear a beeping sound and it's irritating. I looked around me and saw nothing. I'm not really sure where I am. I hope I'm not dead because these white fog around gives me a hint that I'm in heaven which is a surprise if it is, I don't think I'm allowed there. I tried to walk around the area and they're all the same. Every direction I go just gives me a thick white fog; I continued to walk around until I hear someone crying. I searched the area as to where the sound is coming from. I saw an empty corridor and tried my luck and it was on the last room on the right, I entered the room and saw my parents and Dr. Myoui. They were hovering over someone on the bed and as I got closer I was shocked to see myself. I could barely recognize my face because of the cuts and bruises. Hold on; is this a memory of my first accident? Why is Dr. Myoui here, she wasn't my doctor that time. I'm confused. I listened to what my mom is saying and tried to call their attention.

"Mom, I'm right here!" I shouted but nothing. I tried to touch her but realized that my hand just passed thru her shoulder. Am I dead? I looked on one of the machines hooked up to my body and saw that I don't have a flat line yet so I sighed in relief. I can see my parents are in pain as they looked at me. I tried to go back to my body to let them know I'm okay but it wasn't working, I was getting frustrated because I couldn't do anything.

I saw them leaving so I got out of my body and followed them to what I assumed is Dr. Myoui’s office. A police officer was waiting inside; he introduced himself and started explaining why he was there. Apparently I got into an accident because I was speeding and didn't see the truck coming. ! I cursed myself for getting involved in an accident for the second time. Why am I so stupid? I didn't finish the officer's explanation and ran out of the room. I don't know where I'm going but u just ran and ran until I collapsed. It must've been several hours have passed since I gathered my strength when I heard another voice. It seems so near so I followed where it was coming from. I ran back to my hospital room since it was where the voice is getting louder, all of a sudden I felt my hand being touched. I knew that touch so I ran as fast as I can and found my room again. Mina was holding my hand and talking to me; well the one lying on the bed. She's asking me to fight for my life because *listens to Mina’s speech* Ha! I knew it, she likes me! I did a happy dance and stood beside her. She was crying her heart out and I felt bad that I was hurting her and I couldn't do anything. I watched her leave the room as I stayed inside. I looked at myself and shouted…

"You better wake up! How could you do this to them Chaeyoung? Wake the up!"

It was stupid of me to do that because obviously I'm just talking to myself but I don't know how I could return to my body. I really wasn't thinking straight when I decided to drink so much last night. And when Mina sent me that message, I was just so happy that I  drove like I owned the road. Now look where it got me, helpless and badly bruised with little chance of survival. I was startled with my train of thoughts when I hear someone calling my name. I turned around and saw a woman dressed in white (but not like a scary one).

"Halmeoni?"I said to the woman and she nodded. Wait, why am I seeing my dead grandmother?

"Chaeyoung, honey, I missed you" she spoke and I got chills.

"I don't understand what's happening" I asked.
"I know you want answers, that's why I'm here right now" she said then motioned me to approach her and I did.

"Am I dying? Is that why I can see you right now?" I asked even though I'm afraid of what's she's going to say. I really am not ready to die yet as of this moment.

"It's really up to you Chaeyoungie if you want to live on or not. I am just here to make you realize the value of the life you are wasting. I've been watching over you since I died and let me just say that I am not happy with the way you chose to live. You have a great future ahead of you and you are wasting it. Should you choose to live I want you to promise me that you will make good choices in life, but if not, you can join me and just watch over them. You can just watch nothing else"

With that, she walked away and I looked at my body. After several minutes, I entered my body and closed my eyes.

 

Mina's POV

I stepped out of the room and went back to my mom's office. They were discussing about Chaeyoung’s condition and what's going to happen. My mom said that we can only find out everything once she wakes up. I was just listening to them because Tzuyu already left. After some minutes, a nurse entered the room and informed an emergency on the ICU, room C; I remembered that was Chaeyoung’s room so I stood up as well as my mom and Mrs. Son and ran to the ICU.

When we got there, I couple of nurses were already trying to resuscitate Chaeyoung and my mom was already giving orders to her staff. Mrs. Son and I were not allowed inside so we waited as patiently as we could. We were both crying again because we don't know what's happening inside. My mom went out of the room and told us what happened and I just fainted.

When I woke up, I realized that I was in my own room without any recollection as to how I got here. I looked at the time and saw it was already time for me to get ready to school so I did. My everyday routine would be to wake at five thirty, take a shower, get dressed, put my make up on and go down to prepare breakfast for everyone since my mom usually is at the hospital. When I was done, I woke my brother and sister then wait for them to eat their breakfast, once done, I washed the dished and went out to wait for Nayeon to pick me up. When she arrived, I got into the car and we drove to school. We got to school and went straight to my locker, I got my books and as I was about to close the door, I saw me and Chaeyoung’s first picture together. That is when realizations hit me; Chaeyoung’s in coma and we have no idea when she will wake up.