Chapter 1: The Move

Love Will Always Be

Chaeyoung’s POV

 

Moving to another place was something I never wanted to happen, but because my stepdad was assigned to manage their company's new store in another place, we all had to go with him. After eighteen years, this will be the first time I will ever have to relocate, and it really . Everything was going well with my life, and I'm not ready to leave everything behind. I could have stayed, yes, but my stepdad said that if I did stay, I would have to support myself, and I'm not ready for that either. So here I am packing all of my stuff, took me three full days to put everything in a box because apparently I have lots of personal stuff. I get to have the biggest room in the new house, though, so I guess that's fine.

"Chae! We're leaving in fifteen minutes!" my mom called from the bottom of the stairs. I took one last look of the room I had ever since I was born and started to carry the boxes, placing them carefully in the truck. I place the important stuff in my car, and by important stuff, I mean my music stuff. I was in a band, and I was on lead guitar and vocals.

My parents thought it was a good idea for us to move because they wanted me to lessen my dangerous hobby of drag racing. That's where they are wrong. I can never turn my back on drag racing. Although there was one time they almost lost me because of that.

 

"I was invited to a party of a friend's friend, and I was too high on alcohol that time, and some guy challenged everyone to a race. $1000 for whoever wins. My friends paid for me to race him, and just when I thought I was already winning, I realized the brakes were broken, and next thing I knew I was at the hospital. Apparently I had broken my left leg, my left arm, some of my ribs, and scarred my face resulting from my crash to the stone barricade. I was hospitalized for 5 whole months, spending 1 month of that in coma."

 

And that's why my parents don't want me to race again. I laid low for a while after my accident, but I still enjoy driving my Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. (My stepdad gave it to me as a gift on my 16th birthday, cool, huh?)

When everything was packed inside the truck, my stepdad appeared outside my window.

"Hey, let me remind you that this is a four-hour drive, so please try not to stray away. I know you, Chaeyoung." I just smiled, so he left, and our engines roared, and in two minutes we were on the road. Little did they know I had other plans to meet with Sana and try to convince her to stay with me there at least until summer is over. Minotazaki Sana is my best friend and ex-girlfriend who took care of me when I was not my best self. We recently broke up because we both didn't want long-distance relationships, so it didn't really hurt that much. I drove the familiar route to their house and, as a routine, went inside the house and up to her room, only to find her sleeping. I laid beside her and lit a cigarette. After a few minutes, she woke up.

"I thought you were leaving without saying goodbye," she said, then stretched her hand and legs toward my body.

"I would never do that to you. What are you waiting for? You're coming with me right now. Please say you'll stay with me until the summer's over?" I pleaded.

"Hmm. Let me think about it. Nah. No need. I'll just pack my bag. Give me fifteen minutes, alright?" She answered, then jumped off the bed to gather her things and put them in her bag.

And as promised, we were out of her house after fifteen minutes. I saw my phone blinking, meaning my mom is calling me and wondering where I am. I ignored it and drove at top speed. With my Ferrari, I was with them in ten minutes. We stopped to grab a quick lunch and went straight to our destination.

 

Mina’s POV

 

I paced around the room, wondering why my mom was excited about our new neighbors. She hasn't shut up about it for the past week. Then I found out it was the family of her childhood best friend who's going to be living next to us, and now I understand why. Mom was saying that we have to get close to her kids because we're the same age, and I disagree. I will make friends with them if I want to, and no one can force me to be friends with someone. This is going to !

To pass the time, because they'll be arriving in less than an hour, I called my best friend Jeongyeon, who's currently in Paris for her studies. She was sent there as an exchange student, and she gladly accepted it.

Aware of the time difference, I dialed the familiar numbers, knowing she should be awake now, and waited for the person to answer.

"Yow! What's up, gorgeous?" Jeongyeon greeted.

"Hey Jeong, how's Paris treating you? I wish I could go there too. I'm getting bored here. Since you left, I haven't left the house except for family dinners. I'm not leaving my room but only if I have to. I miss having you around." I responded.

"Aww. I know this is a big change for us, but you know how much I wanted to get into this program. I'll be back for the holidays, and we can always talk through Skype. But anyways, Paris is so beautiful, and damn, it's really cold. Guess I'm just not used to this kind of weather compared to the one we have there in South Korea."

"Can't wait for the holidays then. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, we have new neighbors coming in a few minutes. And mom can't shut up about it. Seems like her childhood best friend's back in town with her family. And the best part of that is we are forced to befriend her kids. Some mother, huh?"

Jeongyeon didn't respond right away. "Well, nothing's wrong with befriending someone new, right? Besides, he or she can be your friend while I'm not there. Who knows, maybe that person's the one for you." Then she laughed at the last part of what she said.

"Not funny at all, Jeong. But you're right, this person will be the new boy or girl in town; the least I could do is show him or her around."

"Well, there you go. Problem solved. Anyways, I gotta run. I promised my roommate we'd go around town. I'll message you later, okay. Update me."

With that, we said goodbye, just in time as my mom knocked on my door.

"Honey, I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your conversation with Jeongyeon, but they're here, and I want you to meet them."

I nodded, then placed my phone on my bed and went down. Just in time as an SUV and a mover's truck parked in front of the house next door. My mom ran as soon as her best friend stepped out of the car, and they exchanged hugs. My mom called on us to greet our new neighbors, who were introduced one by one. But I wonder why the eldest daughter is not yet here.

Mrs. Son answered me as though she could read my mind. "Mina, right? Chaeyoung will be here shortly, and I can definitely tell from here that you'll be friends in no time. It was nice meeting you." She then turned to my dad, and they shook hands.

It took a whole fifteen minutes to have everyone introduced, and for somereasons, my siblings got along right away with the other kids. Great! What am I supposed to do now? Everyone's busy getting to know each other and I'm here just watching them. We were about to go inside their house where my mom prepared some snacks when we heard some tires screeching and all our necks turned to where the noise is coming from. To our surprise, a red and black Ferrari stopped in front of the house and a tattooed blonde girl stepped out of the driver's seat followed by another girl from the passenger's seat. She was wearing a blue sleeveless with some weird picture, black skinny jeans, black hi-cut shoes and shades to match on top of her messy hairdo and the other girl plain looks like a hooker with those fitted shirt and really short shorts and matching killer heels. Everyone, meaning my family and I were just awe-strucked at how strong the appeal of these new people are affecting us.

As they approached us, the first girl, whom I assume was Chaeyoung, lit a cigarette, and I could sense the disgust in my parents' eyes. For a few moments, no one spoke, and it was really awkward. It's like no one was happy about their presence. It was Mrs. Son who broke the silence.

"Chaeyoung, where are your manners? Kill that thing now!" she said while showing a very apologetic smile.

The girl killed her cigarette, took off her sunglasses, and introduced herself. "Hi, I apologize for the late arrival, and I'm pretty sure you're all wondering who the heck I am or what I am rather," she said, and it was the most beautiful thing I heard. "I'm Chaeyoung, Chaeng, whatever you want to call me, I'm eighteen, and yeah, I smoke, drink, and drive." Then she laughed a little, and I was smiling as if what she said was something really good. There was no way on earth I was attracted to this girl. She's not even my type, but why do I feel like I want to be near her?

I tried to shake off the thought and just act as if I didn't care what she just said. I had zoned out for a few minutes and just noticed her hand waving in my face.

"Hey, you look like you spaced out or something," she said, then smirked.

"Ugh. Yeah. I'm okay. Sorry. Nice to meet you, Chaeyoung," I replied and extended my hand for her to shake.

She took my hand and shook it, and I felt electricity all over my body. Oh ! That has never happened before. Why now? Why her?

 

Chaeyoung's POV

 

I arrived at the new house and got everyone's attention. I easily noticed the girl with the most sparkling dark brown eyes I had ever laid eyes on. Of course she doesn't see me staring because I'm wearing my sunglasses. But damn, she's smoking! No kidding here. She. is. Hot! I introduced myself and couldn't wait to shake her hands. I see her checking me out but trying not to. This girl's into me, but she's fighting with herself. I wonder why, though.

After the short and awkward introduction, we went inside and enjoyed (well, tried to enjoy, in my case) the dinner prepared by the other family. I didn't really remember any of their names except for that dark-eyed girl, Mina. To avoid any conversation, I ran to my new room with Sana. It was big, literally. It's like two rooms in one. My stepdad wasn't lying when he said that even if I put all my things in there, I'd still have lots of space. My bed was already there, so we sat on it and made ourselves comfortable. We weren't making out or something; we just laid there for a while.

"So, I think that Mina already likes you," Sana began.

"Hmm. You know, I think so too. But I'm going to play hard to get. Let's see how much she really likes me," I answered. I just got out of a relationship, and I'm not in a hurry to be in another. It's not that I was badly hurt by my recent breakup; it's just that I'm not in the mood to be 'in love'. But I'm afraid that I will eat my words any time soon. Mina is someone I know I can't resist.

I was about to light another cigarette when someone knocked on my door.

"Come in," I said, and when the door opened, I was once again staring at the beautiful girl, Mina.

She opened but didn't say anything. I stared at her long enough to realize that Sana was still in the room.

"Alright. I'll leave you two alone. Might as well eat downstairs." With that, she went out, lightly pushed Mina inside, and closed the door. Another awkward moment I motioned for her to sit beside me. She hesitated for a moment, then walked towards my bed and sat at the far end of it.

"Your mom asked me to give this to you," she said, then handed a plate of food downstairs. I gladly took it. "Thanks," I replied.

I placed the plate on my bedside table and lit the cigarette I was holding. She obviously didn't like the smell, but she pretended she did. I was halfway through my cigarette when I killed it.

"It's bad for your health, you know. My uncle died last year because of that." Sadness filled her eyes. I wanted to hug her for caring, if that's the right word to describe it.

"Yeah, I know. My folks kept trying to have me quit a long time ago; I just don't listen. I mean, if I die, at least I won't blame it on others." I laughed, but she just stared at me. I was trying to think of how to start a conversation with this girl. Why is she so hard to read?

"Just out of curiosity, are you and Sana together?" Wow, why is she interested in knowing?

"No, well, not anymore. We broke up when I found out we were moving, and it's a good thing that both of us didn't like the idea of a long-distance relationship, so we both agreed on it. But we're still best friends. Why the sudden interest, Miss Myoui?" I answered, and I swear I saw her blush when she found out I'm single. She just smiled and shook her head at my question.

"How about you? Do you have a boyfriend?" I asked.

She looked surprised by my question. "No, I don't."

"Really? I don't believe that. You're freaking gorgeous, and you don't have a boyfriend?"

"I guess I haven't found the one yet. You know the person who would make you feel loved above everyone else. I've never been in a relationship, like ever, and I certainly don't want to rush myself just to say I'm following the trend of others. Maybe I'm more of the traditional one who wants to be courted just like the old generation. I want that someone to ask my parents' permission first before they actually court me or go on a date with me. Something like that." I was speechless. Those are the things I'm not. Heck, I don't even obey my parents.

"I don't know what to say. Like honestly, I've never met anyone in this generation who still goes traditional like that. But oh well, that's your thing, so I'm not going to argue. So tell me, Miss Myoui, from an insider's point of view, how are you going to describe this place to an outsider?"

She didn't respond right away, maybe she's thinking.

"Well, Busan is not really bad, you know. It's not as exciting as Seoul, but we do have fun here. There are a couple of places I love to go to when I want to just think and be alone and a few where you can hang out. Restaurants around the neighborhood are fine, although I'd still prefer my mom's cooking. I haven't really been out of the house since my best friend left for Paris, so I'm not sure if there are new places around."

With how she provided me with that information, this place must not that much. I wish she could show me around. I want to get drunk tonight.

"Not bad. So anyways, is there like a bar here? I seriously want to drink tonight," I said as I lit another cigarette.

"Yes, there is. There's one where me and my best friend normally go on girls nights out. I can give you the directions on how to go there if you want."

"Why don't you just come with me and Sana?"

It's as if she was surprised by my sudden invitation.

"Oh, I have to ask my parents first. Sorry."

"No problem. I'll wait for you outside." With that, we went downstairs.