CHAPTER 2 : NOT KNOWING IS MEDICINE, KNOWING IS SIN.

Ae-jeong [affection]

Author POV
December 17, 2018
NCT's team end-year meeting

The last meeting of NCT team had just ended, all employees had left except Na-ri, Taeyong and Haewon who is pensive staring at the paper in front of her. For almost 3 weeks she had to be hospitalized at one of the VVIP rooms of the Jaehyun family's hospital, all the while she had to leave her job and had to lie to all her employees and NCT members that she was on a business trip to New York. Until now that night's incident is still very vivid in her mind, as the effect of that incident, she starts to feel very worried if there is someone behind her, she even experienced some anxiety attacks while waiting in line at the cafe to buy coffee.
"Haewon? Are you okay?" Taeyong asked, and sat next to Haewon followed by Na-ri who sat next to him too. Taeyong and Taeil have been told about the incident, the reason why we told them is clear because there must be someone to protect the other members.
"Huh? Yeah, what's wrong?" Haewon looks out of focus.
"I don't know if it's right to give it to you but ... here" Taeyong took out an envelope from his jacket office, the envelope was black and it said "to. Jaehyun, with love"
"It's a good thing Tae-il was the first person to discovered this and immediately gave it to Taeyong because he knew today he has a meeting scheduled with us," Na-ri explained.
Haewon opened the envelope and was surprised by what was inside. There is a photo of her and Jaehyun that was taken secretly. That was when she and Jaehyun went to eat at a restaurant near her apartment. In the photo, Haewon's face was given a red cross, with a very brief message, but it gives us all the clue who might be behind this attack.
"I could kill for love" is what written in that photo.

Haewon leaned herself to the chair, not believing that something like this would happen to her because of something as ridiculous as someone's obsession with their idol. Haewon was very lucky that night's incident did not take her life. But most importantly she has to thank uncle Jung (Jaehyun's father) who didn't hang up her call that night so she could be dealt with immediately. Haewon was also very grateful to Aunt Jung (Jaehyun's mom) for taking care of her and kept the incident a secret from Haewon's family.
Haewon wiped the cold sweat from her forehead, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable because the memory of that night appeared again. Instantly she felt very stuffed in need of fresh air and so she got up and came out of the meeting room, leaving Taeyong and Na-ri who were looking at Haewon's departure with worried faces.
"What will happen next?" Taeyong asked Na-ri.
"Honestly .. I don't know," Na-ri answered.

Night of the incident
00.15

Haewon is trying to stay conscious while looking for ways to hide, it will be very troublesome if she becomes a topic of conversation throughout Korea, the fact that Haewon works at a well-known Entertainment company in Korea and her status as the granddaughter of the Han family will only make the news all over the places. She did not want to choose between SM and her grandfather, also NCT's reputation would be at stake here. Haewon is looking for a cellphone that has fallen to the ground, grateful that her call with uncle Jung hasn't been disconnected.
"Hello? What's wrong Haewon? " asked uncle Jung (Jaehyun's father). Haewon winced, still holding back the blood coming from her shoulder.
"Please ... help me, it looks like I can't hold the blood flowing anymore," Haewon asked breathlessly. Now everything looks blurry. She had to leave here quickly because there was already too much blood flowing.
"Where is your position now?" Asked uncle Jung calmly.
"Bus stop in front of the NCT dorm. Don't tell Jaehyun, ”Haewon answered and she dropped the cellphone. Then all at once, it was very dark.

<<>>

 

Jaehyun POV

December 22, 2018
MBC The Show's backstage

I keep staring at Na-ri who is busy going back and forth making sure that all the sponsorship items are complete. I've even stopped counting how long since Haewon seemed to suddenly disappear from this world. Okay, I believe that she was on a business trip to New York, but that was the reason that Na-ri told me 2 weeks ago.
"Hey, stop staring at Na-ri like that, it will look weird" Taeyong Hyung sit beside me.
"Hyung, are you sure you saw Hae-won?" I asked again. Last Monday, I knew that Taeyong was going to attend the end-year meeting, and I am 100% sure that Haewon should be there.
"Oh my god, I already told you right? You've been asking this every day, give it a break" Taeyong answered and look at me being all annoyed.
"Then why does it seems like something happen to her?" I asked in frustration, and all of the sudden Taeyong falls in silence. See? There is something odd about all of these things.
"Jaehyun, Haewon is a person who is responsible for everything related to us, that means it would be very natural if she could not be contacted... Do you know why? Because she is freaking busy. What are you going to do if you meet her anyway? If you two meet, you guys just fight all the time " Said Johnny who suddenly joined our conversation and is sitting in front of us.

I grunt, being all frustrated and emotional at the same time, I am well aware we don't meet each other that often but this time, I have a hunch that something happens to her. I decided to go out and try to calm myself when accidentally I saw Na-ri being all obvious that she is hiding from everyone, and for some reason, I wanted to follow her.

"Haewon? Yes ... they are done, are you going to stop by?" My hunch is right that she's calling Haewon. It's very strange because lately Na-ri often asked permission to take calls when usually she always picks up the phone in every kind of situation, and the other members always because she will swear when she has finished calling with the sponsors or event organizer. I sneak in behind the wall between us and trying to hear their conversation.
"Ahh ... you are not dropping by? Such a pity, all the member missed you...What? Today you have to control the hospital huh?" When Na-ri says it like this, I immediately feel very dizzy. Hospital? As far as I know about Haewon she doesn't have any diseases. "Don't drive yet, the wound on your shoulder still hasn't healed completely ... gosh, why does that stalker have to stab you in the right shoulder ...." I took the cellphone in Na-ri's hand and stared at it ferociously, she looks genuinely scared, but how can they hide all of this from me?
"Choi Haewon, where are you now?" I asked angrily, and I could not hear anything from that girl. I snorted annoyed and turned off the call.
"Where is she?" I asked Na-ri
"In the... at the SM office ..." she replied.

 

Haewon POV

SM Cafetaria

I stared blankly at the large window, seeing all people passing by when the waitress put the third cup of coffee that I drank today in front of me.
"Haewon-nim, you look very pale," he said with a worried look on his face, which I replied with a faint smile. I have an appointment to change my wound bandages today, but I was busy all day, I have to go back and forth to KSPO Dome to sign a contract with them, see the finalization of the concert clothes with the stylist team, a meeting with the performance director for the concert this time until 20 minutes ago I just finished talking to Lee Soo Man about the attack that happened to me. We both agreed to investigate in secret instead of being blatant because it would only make all of our marketing plans fail.
I looked at the pile of documents in front of me and growled tiredly. I wish there is a tool that can automatically sign all the documents. Why does that person have to stab me in the shoulder, and even more in the right hand?! What should I do when almost every activity I do must be using this hand, I cringed remembering this morning I almost decided to go to the office without wearing a bra. Luckily Na-ri visited, helping me put on clothes and stuff and then we went together to the office. The woman talked a lot about things that happened during the past weeks. Everyone was shocked, I didn't even absent when my grandfather held his birthday in Paris last year, made my grandpa all sulky because he felt like I don't care about him anymore. These are all forms of my commitment, so far I have pursued my dream and I don't want people to think that my background as a rich family member in South Korea is the reason I have come this far.

"But do you know what is the most difficult part of your absence?" Na-ri asked on our way to the office. I shook my head and Na-ri looked at me with a look of horror. 
"Jaehyun ..." we both answered at the same time.
"You should know the look Jaehyun gave me all those weeks. As if I had killed you, at every break, he would come up to me and I should avoid him. You know your friend is really scary when he's angry, plus the atmosphere went very bad because he fought with Doyoung. By the way, I told Taeil and Taeyong, just in case. Oh God, it feels like hell alone." Na-ri explained at length. I swallowed my saliva when the car entered the SM parking lot and saw the NCT van parked there. We both looked at each other and as if we could know what we both thought, today would be a very long day.

 

I took a deep breath, when I looked out it was very dark. Oh my God, how long have I been here? I'm sure all the staff have gone home and I just remembered that my MacBook is still in my office. With a heavy heart, I must return to the 5th floor and take it. With a shuffling step while holding my shoulder that is more painful than ever now, I pressed the elevator button in front of me. When the door opened, a woman came out, when our eyes meet she greets me, which I replied with a short nod. I've never seemed to see her. Is she a new employee? I almost screamed when a hand, held the elevator forcibly and Jaehyun is standing with a really scary look in his face. He still wore his stage clothes and glared at me in anger. Jaehyun pressed the 'hold' button and pulled me out, spread out his palm which I replied with a confused look.

"Your car key," he said simply. I flinch, he wants to drive? In the middle of the night? When he has a schedule tomorrow? I have not spoken my mind when Jaehyun had put his hand in the jacket pocket that I was wearing. Of course, I panicked, even though we were in the office but SM was only a large mirror that people could see from outside, what if someone saw? With a reflex, I brush aside his hand which was a bad decision because I could feel extreme pain from my wound. Looks like the stitches is torn again.
"BY GOD, CHOI HAEWON GIVE THE KEY TO YOUR CAR NOW!" Jaehyun's scream made me shocked to death. He looked very frustrated and ruffled his hair. I reached into my pocket and gave him my car key. He didn't even hold my hand anymore and walked towards the parking lot. I followed him from behind and not speaking any words when he is angry it would be very scary. I prefer Jaehyun who is fussy and always teases me than this Jaehyun.
"We're going to my father's hospital, right now," Jaehyun said coldly. He opened the car door and closed it so hard that I flinched in surprise. I took a deep breath and my chest. Most likely he already knew about the incident, and it would be very wise if I became obedient. At least until he finds his calms.

 

Jaehyun POV

Jung Hospital

As the car entered the back door of the hospital, I could see my father standing, waving at us. He gave a signal to park the car beside his car, just in case there were reporters around. My father opened the car door and helped Haewon to stand up, she was already very weak and when my father opened the jacket she was wearing, her pink shirt was red with blood seeping. I froze and looked at my father with a look of horror.
"It's okay, Jaehyun. Come on Haewon, let's treat your wounds," my father said, then they both disappeared from my sight. I hit the steering wheel of this car and regretted what I had done to Haewon earlier. Jung Jaehyun are you even a human? How can you be out of control in front of a woman, especially if that woman is Haewon?


After calming myself down, I entered my father's office room. There, Haewon was sitting bare-shoulder, I immediately turned my body and I could see my father smiling.
"Your wound is only open a little, maybe this is because you use your right hand too much. Maybe you can ask for leave?" asked my father. Haewon was silent for a few moments.
"I'm afraid that I can't do that ..." Letisha answered doubtfully. And I am helpless at the moment, she is everyone's boss and she is in charge of the group I am in. Haewon takes care of almost everything about NCT, and soon it will be our first concert.
"Okay .. but can you please just stay at our house? So that my wife can take care of you, and Jaehyun you can turn around now," my father said and I turned around. Now Haewon is looking at me with her big brown eyes. I tried to ignore her stare and just walk beside her. My father stood up and patted my shoulder, then walked out with the prescription in his hand.
The silence broke out between us. I'd love to ask a lot of things, like why did that happen? Then what about now? Do we find the person who did this to her? Does anyone know that we are this close and are trying to harm her?
"You .." we said in unison. Haewon and I looked at each other and the atmosphere was quiet again.
"You go first," I said. Haewon looked at me and nodded.
"That happened on the day I drove you guys back to the dorm..." her words broke off when I growled in frustration. I knew this would happen, that girl stubbornly refused my offer to drive her home. And before that, I told her not to take us home, and she did not listen to any of it. Besides, why do things she doesn't usually do? Her position on the NCT team is the highest, and she doesn't need to be that kind to replace our manager and take us home right? I tried to calm down and looked back at her.
"Continue ..." I ordered.
"I don't know what happened, I was waiting for a bus or taxi because I lend my car to Na-ri... and suddenly... and..." Her words stopped, and I could see her looking down. I saw her shoulders trembling and she is sobbing now. And I sit beside her.
"You don't need to explain now" Haewon's tears broke out. He hugged me and sank her face in my chest. The thing that girl always does when she cries.
"And suddenly someone stabbed me ... and ... and ... oh my god Jaehyun I'm so scared, what if he does that to you or other members?" I bring her tighter to my arms and her hair softly. How could this girl think of someone else when she should be more worried about herself?
"It's okay, I'm here" I could feel her whole body shake. And I feel very sorry for her now. This was the first time this had happened in her life and it must have been very painful for her.

 

Author POV

Jaehyun's room, Jung Family House

Jaehyun's father decided to take Haewon's car and get back to work, he also promised to think of the best way to convey it to Hewon's grandfather. While Jaehyun and Haewon were escorted by a private driver to his house.
When they both arrived at Jaehyun's house, his mother was waiting and hugged them tightly. They didn't chat too much, and Haewon was immediately taken by Jaehyun to his room and leid her down to his bed. Jaehyun her hair and before he left, she pulled his white shirt.
"Jung Jaehyun..." Jaehyun sat back and looked at her.
"Why?" he asked.
"I'm sorry..." Haewon looked down again and tears welling in the corner of her eyes. Everything is too much for her to handle, the fact that she is in a situation that can cause greater danger to him worries her. Suddenly Haewon's phone vibrates,

"I'll take it" Jaehyun grab her bag and take out the phone, he sees the caller ID that said 'Lee Soo Man'. He looked at Haewon in confusion, so that he realized that she might have the intention to investigate this case further. Haewon grabs the phone before Jaehyun does anything stupid.

"Good night, I'm very sorry if you called before... I must be put the phone on silence" Haewon explained and look at Jaehyun judging face.

"Haewon,.. we found the suspect, can you come by now?" Lee soo man asked, and Haewon looks nervously to Jaehyun who keeps staring at her.

"yes, I can. Just send me the address" Haewon answers and the call ended. She is about to go when Jaehyun grabs her hands.

"I'm coming with you..." said Jaehyun and he grabs again the jacket he was once wearing.

"NO! Jaehyun, it's not a good idea.." Haewon shakes her head.

"and you think that doing this by yourself is a good idea? hmm?" he asked again.

"no, I don't have a reputation to think of, but you have! Also, I have 18 people who just want to chase their dreams but have to live in a horror-thriller kind of life because some fans can't control their ing mind? No, I can't risk your life, this is your life...being a singer is your life" Haewon talks to him with a furious tone, not loud enough considering his mother could have heard.

"and I can't risk you... you are part of it," Jaehyun said with a serious look that put Haewon all startled.