Chapter 37: Epilogue - Aurora Borealis

Phoenix Aurora (Got7 Jinyoung X OC)

 

 

Soyoung and Jinyoung were reinstated to their proper positions in a lavish ceremony that only rivaled that of Soyoung’s original coronation when she had first taken the throne. Soyoung had wanted a simple ceremony, but all the old and new lords of the court had insisted on making it as grand as possible to show everyone that their country was strong and prosperous despite the short interlude where Jang Jaewon had stolen the throne. And so, Soyoung went along with their wishes. The ceremony was followed by a full week of celebration and banquets, and for the first time in an eternity, the city came alive once more. 

 

At the end of the week of celebration though, Soyoung returned to her library to find Hyojun waiting for her. He barely moved even as Soyoung entered, but with one look at the sword he held in one hand and the small parcel slung over one shoulder, Soyoung could guess what he had come to say.

 

“So,” She said as she closed the doors behind her, “You’ve decided to leave after all.” Hyojun had stayed even after Jang Jaewon and his people had been removed from power, and his testimony had been instrumental in quelling any remaining displeasure at the removal of Jang Jaewon. With his words and the evidence Jinyoung had painstakingly gathered over the past year, the truth of Jang Jaewon’s actions had finally all come to light. Hyojun turned as she approached and bowed deeply.

 

“I congratulate Your Majesty on returning to the throne.” He said, “It is the empire’s good fortune to have you back.” Soyoung waved a hand at him to rise.

 

“You haven’t answered my question yet.” She said pointedly. Hyojun smiled wryly.

 

“Yes.” He answered, “I’ve decided it is better for me to leave.” 

 

“You wouldn’t consider staying?” Soyoung asked as she sat down and gazed at her former guard. Hyojun shook his head.

 

“I dare not, Your Majesty.” He answered, “I’ve already overstayed my welcome.” Soyoung sighed. It was true; although Hyojun had stayed behind the scenes for the most part, his continual presence had drawn displeasure from the court, and she couldn’t blame the nobles for calling for his removal again. After all, Hyojun had once turned against her and pointed his sword at her neck. There was little flexibility when it came to that type of betrayal, much less a guard who had betrayed the greatest master in the entire empire. Soyoung sighed, knowing there was little she could do to convince him.

 

“Very well.” She said, “You may leave.” She reached into her sleeve and held out a badge to him. Hyojun’s eyes widened as he saw the rare flowery pattern engraved on the badge.

 

“Your Majesty…” He started, his voice trailing off quickly.

 

“If you ever choose to return, just use this.” Soyoung said, “No one will dare to block someone with the Empress’ personal seal in hand.” Hyojun bowed deeply.

 

“I am not worthy of such trust, Your Majesty!” He exclaimed. Soyoung shook her head as she rose and drew Hyojun to his feet.

 

“You betrayed me once, but you still came back and brought a vital witness with you.” She said, “It is the least I can do.” Her chest tightened slightly as she gave Hyojun a light shove towards the door.

 

“Go on now.” She said, “And make good use of your time outside of the palace.” Hyojun bowed deeply one more time before turning towards the door. 

 

“My Lady.” He said softly as he paused near the door, “Please live a long and happy life.” Soyoung smiled softly.

 

“I certainly will.” She assured him. Hyojun stepped out of the room at last, and Soyoung watched from the top of the stairs as her former guard disappeared into the night. The soft sound of robes came from behind her, and Soyoung leaned back slightly into Jinyoung’s embrace as his arms wrapped around her waist.

 

“You didn’t want to let him go?” He noted, “You could’ve just ordered him to stay.” Soyoung sighed and shook her head.

 

“I couldn’t do that.” She said, “There was a part of me that wanted him to stay, even if he had to stay within the shadows, but I want to respect his wishes. If he wants to go, then I will let him. I suppose in the end, it would be a waste of his talents if he had to hide in the shadows for the rest of his life.” Jinyoung pressed a gentle kiss to Soyoung’s head.

 

“Perhaps he’ll return one day.” He mused, “And then he’ll tell you and our children about all of his adventures outside.” Soyoung chuckled softly and folded her hands over Jinyoung’s.

 

“Perhaps.” She agreed, “I’ll be waiting for that day to come.” Soyoung reached into her sleeve and pulled out a sheet of paper.

 

“That reminds me,” She said, “Yi-en sent a letter. The Persian king has finally let him out of punishment for lying about being married to me.” Jinyoung chuckled as he read over the letter Soyoung offered him.

 

“Months of daily training with the new recruits is a little overboard, don’t you think?” He mused, “I hear the newest recruits have the hardest training.” Soyoung waved a hand dismissively.

 

“He’s a well seasoned fighter.” She said, “I’m sure he took it all just fine. Perhaps it was even easy for him.” 

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t speak on his behalf.” Jinyoung commented, “Yi-en only lied because he was helping you, after all.” Soyoung laughed.

 

“If I didn’t say anything, he would have been in there for an entire year.” She answered, “And besides…” She turned and wrapped her arms around her husband.

 

“If I said too many good things about another man, I’m afraid a certain someone will get jealous.” She added teasingly. Jinyoung laughed and lightly batted at Soyoung’s nose.

 

“Smart aleck.” He muttered, a small smile on his face.

 

“I’m your smart aleck.” Soyoung answered. Jinyoung leaned in and captured her lips in a warm kiss.

 

“And I wouldn’t have it any other way.” He answered.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Six years later

 

The sound of firecrackers exploded cheerfully in the air that was already filled with festive music and loud cheering. It was a beautiful day, the blue sky dotted with peaceful white clouds that floated lazily across the sky. All attention was focused on two figures riding in an open air carriage that was making its way slowly through the main city street, a mild breeze blowing cheerily around them as if welcoming their presence. It was the day of the beloved Empress and Prince Consort’s tenth wedding anniversary, and the city had done everything possible to celebrate the special day. Soyoung and Jinyoung waved to the people as they passed, warm smiles on their faces. The imperial couple was dressed head to toe in red to celebrate the occasion, their faces glowing as radiantly as if it was their first day as a married couple. The carriage finally made its way to the center of the city where a large podium had been set up, and Soyoung and Jinyoung stepped out, their hands clasped tightly together as they made their way up. To celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary, they had decided to do their wedding ceremony again, and this time, it would be for everyone to see. The loving couple could barely hide their delighted smile as they bowed three times as was required, and when it was over, loud cheers erupted into the air from the people watching. 

 

“Long live the Empress!” Voices shouted in delight, “Long live the Prince Consort!” Jinyoung chuckled as the crowd’s cheers filled the air.

 

“Shall we give them a little something in return for their support?” He suggested, a teasing glint in his eye. Soyoung raised an eyebrow.

 

“And what exactly did you have in mind?” She asked, taking note of the look on her husband’s face. Jinyoung chuckled again before leaning in and kissing Soyoung, eliciting a startled gasp from his wife.

 

“Jinyoung!” She scolded as she pulled away quickly, “We are in public!” 

 

“It is our second wedding day.” Jinyoung murmured as he pulled her in again, “Let’s just forget about those norms today.” Soyoung hit his chest lightly, but the delighted roars from her people and the comfortable touch of Jinyoung’s hand on her waist quickly melted away her reservations.

 

I suppose it’s okay just for today.

 

Flower petals rained down all around them, and loud laughter filled the air as several pairs of little feet dashed up to the Empress and Prince Consort.

 

“Mama, Papa!” Little voices chimed, drawing the couple away from their own little world. Soyoung laughed as familiar figures danced around her and Jinyoung. Reaching out, she playfully grabbed one of her children, lifting the squealing little princess into the air.

 

“I didn’t know you would all be involved.” She teased, lightly batting little Jinhee on the nose. The sixth princess squealed in delight and clapped her hands over her nose, drawing laughter from Jinyoung. 

 

“Uncle Wang gave us the idea!” Jinwoo answered as he pulled his younger siblings to a stop. Soyoung scoffed in amusement as she put down Jinhee.

 

“Of course he did.” She said, “He’s always full of ideas like this.” To this day, Wang Jia’er was still full of odd ideas as always. 

 

“If he keeps this up, he won’t ever be able to grab Yeojin’s heart.” She commented to Jinyoung. 

 

“But she hasn’t married yet either.” Jinyoung reminded her, “Perhaps it’s just a matter of timing.” Jinwoo cleared his throat, drawing his parent’s attention. The ten year old prince clapped his hands and pulled his six younger siblings into a line next to him.

 

“Mama, Papa.” He said formally before executing a perfect bow with his siblings, “We congratulate you on your tenth wedding anniversary. We hope you have a long and blessed marriage full of love and happiness.” Soyoung smiled warmly and pulled her eldest into a hug.

 

“Thank you, Jinwoo.” She said, “Mama is so happy you can be here on this special day.” 

 

“Mama.” Jinhyuk tugged on Soyoung’s sleeve, “What is annivasawy?” Jinyoung chuckled as their fifth child wrinkled his nose in an effort to say the unfamiliar word.

 

“It means Mama and Papa have been married for a very long time.” He answered. 

 

“Papa!” Jinwoo protested, clapping his hands over Jinhyuk’s ears, “He is too young to learn about that yet!” Soyoung laughed and ruffled Jinwoo’s hair gently.

 

“My protective eldest.” She teased. Jinwoo’s cheeks turned pink as he blushed and quickly shook his head. 

 

“Papa says the eldest has to look after his siblings!” He declared, “I take that job very seriously, Mama!” Soyoung laughed and patted his head again.

 

“And I am always very grateful for your help, Jinwoo.” She answered. It was incredible how quickly time passed. It seemed that in the blink of an eye, her firstborn was already ten years old. He was no longer the little toddler that burst into tears at all sorts of things, and he definitely was no longer the little helpless baby that had been born that quiet night in the tent on the hunting grounds. While still young, Jinwoo looked more like his father with each passing day, and Soyoung often saw him teaching his younger siblings how to read and write when she passed by at lesson time. 

 

“Mama.” Jihye tugged on Soyoung’s sleeve, drawing the empress’ attention out of her thoughts.

 

“Yes darling, what is it?” She asked, gently tucking a loose strand of hair away from her daughter’s face. Jihye hesitated, then looked at Jinwoo shyly for affirmation before speaking.

 

“Can we have tonight’s banquet outside, with everyone in the city?” She asked. Soyoung raised an eyebrow.

 

“And where did you get that idea from?” She asked curiously. Jihye bit her lip.

 

“Jihun and I always see a lot of leftover food at the end of banquets.” She answered softly, “So we thought, since it’s Mama and Papa’s anniversary, we should share that happiness with everyone here.” Soyoung’s heart grew warm as she listened to her daughter’s words, and she looked up at Jinyoung to see him with a proud expression on his face.

 

“My little girl is growing up already.” Soyoung said softly, “You can already think for the people.” Jihye blushed and bobbed in a little curtsey.

 

‘Mama is too kind.” She answered politely. Soyoung rose to her feet, Jihye’s hand tucked in hers.

 

“The princess has asked that our joy be shared with the capital tonight!” She declared, “And I have decided to grant her wish! Tonight, the wedding banquet will be shared among all the residents of the capital!” Happy shouts filled the air, mixed with words of gratitude to Jihye. Soyoung turned slightly as Jinyoung wrapped an arm around her shoulders, and together, they turned and gazed at the people below, their hearts warm as they watched the smile on their peoples’ faces.

 

Let us continue watching over this happiness for many years to come.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

When the festivities were finally all over, Jinyoung walked into the library one day to find Soyoung sitting in one of the large reading chairs, her head propped against one hand as she flipped through a book in her lap.

 

“What’s this?” He teased as he put down the stack of documents he was holding, “I didn’t think I’d find you so engrossed in reading one day.” Soyoung chuckled softly as she closed the book and turned it to let him see the cover. 

 

“Stars and astrology?” Jinyoung noted curiously, “What made you so interested in this?” Soyoung held out her hand, and Jinyoung smiled as he walked over and clasped her hand in his.

 

“An astrologist from a foreign country came to visit earlier this week.” She said, “He told so many stories of things that exist beyond our empire’s borders. And one of them was a beautiful light in a world covered in ice called an aurora.” She tapped the book on her lap.

 

“There’s records of such a light, actually.” She said, “Someone actually saw one, many centuries ago.” Jinyoung tilted his head curiously as he looked at the delicate drawing on the page Soyoung had flipped to.

 

“Do you think we can see something like that one day?” He asked. Soyung laughed softly and leaned against his arm.

 

“Perhaps.” She answered, “I would certainly like to.” Jinyoung’s hands moved on instinct to massage his tired wife’s arms, and soon, Soyoung was dozing off in Jinyoung’s arms. 

 

“Jinyoung.” Soyoung said drowsily, drawing his attention from where he had been watching some of their children play outside.

 

“Hm?” He answered softly, his hands pausing.

 

“Thank you for being my aurora.” Soyoung murmured.

 

“What do you mean?” Jinyoung asked in confusion, drawing a little laugh from Soyoung.

 

“What I mean is, thank you for lighting up my life.” She answered, “I don’t need to see this great mystical light others have been speaking of.” Soyoung reached out and lightly cupped Jinyoung’s cheek in her hand.

 

“I have my own aurora, right here.” She said, “My own personal aurora.” Jinyoung smiled and turned his head to kiss her palm.

 

“And thank you, my phoenix.” He answered, “For coming into my life, and staying in my life.” Soyoung smiled and pulled Jinyoung in closer, and he was happy to oblige as their lips met sweetly as the bright sun outside shone down into the library around them.

 

I love you.

 

I will never regret choosing you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: At last, the epilogue is here! Thank you to all the readers who have stuck with me through all 37 chapters and a very long hiatus (hopefully won't have too many of those in the future). While Empress Soyoung and Prince Consort Jinyoung have reached their happy ending, I already have a new idea for another story, so please stay tuned. In the meantime, I would love to continue seeing everyone's comments and support for this story!