One of These Nights

A Ghost Story 귀신 이야기

I didn’t leave the school that day. I knew that Baechu was going to cross over soon and I just wanted to be with her until her last moments. Here we are lying in the open field under the clear night sky.

The moon is shining brightly again. I can still remember how I described you in my mind the first time I had a good look on your face. “Her hair as dark as the night sky, her skin as pale as the moonlight, and her eyes that sparkle like the stars.” I guess every time I look at the clear night sky, I will be reminded of you.

“Seungwan-ah…”

As soon as she called my name, my chest tightened and tears started pooling in my eyes.

“Seungwan-ah, don’t cry.”

“Haha! Sorry. I just… I don’t want you to go, Baechu.”

“I know.”

“…”

“You know, I’ve always wanted to finally cross over… until I met you. I kinda hoped that you wouldn’t actually find a way for me to cross over.”

“Still, you can’t stay here. You deserve to cross that bridge.”

“Do you think I can be reborn as human again?”

“I hope so. And I hope I meet you again in our next lives.”

“Seungwan-ah…”

“Yeah?”

“Can you sing for me?”

♪ I just woke up from a dream

Again, there’s a sad lone star in the dark sky


Goodbye, we said our awkward farewells
I turned around and my path seemed so long

 

In the same time, just for a minute

In the same place, stay for a minute

In that short moment, everything stopped for you and me.

Why didn’t I know it was a miracle?

I stopped in that day with an old story

I’m going through the heartache

Longer than the times we loved

Beyond the Milky Way, in that faraway place

I walk past our white memories

It’s alright even if it’s just a dream

Let’s meet again, one of these nights

Let’s meet again, one of these nights

 

I poured my heart out into every lyric of that song. I meant every word that came out of my mouth. Who would have thought that I went from not believing in ghosts to having a ghost best friend? I’ve only known her for a few months, but it feels like we’ve known each other since forever. We did so many things in that short amount of time. We learned so many things about each other even though she can’t really remember things about herself. I know that she doesn’t like coffee and chicken, that she gets surprised easily, that she likes the fabric softener I use on my uniform, that her favorite color is purple, that her favorite sound is my voice…

“Baechu…”

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry I have nothing to give you. I only have this song.”

“It’s wonderful. I have nothing else to ask for.”

She held my hand and we just laid there while I softly sang my favorite songs. It would be great if this could last forever. In my next life, I wish I could meet you again and be your best friend again.

I think I fell asleep. I think she’s gone. And then, I can’t think of anything else. I just tried to get up and realized there was something in my hand. It was a hairclip. The one I gave her after I discovered how to send items to spirits. I hope she’ll do well from now on.

 


 

“Seungwan! Wanna go to the mart before class? Yerim is coming too.”

“Sure.”

“Hey, did you get your ears pierced again?”

“Yeah, how is it?”

“Pretty cool, actually. You picked pretty earrings too.”

After Baechu left, I hanged out a lot with Sooyoung and Yerim. They’re my main clique now. The rumors about me also died down. Now, thankfully, the other kids treat me like a normal person, and we’re getting along well. I’m in the archery club now too. I’m enjoying a normal high school life, so far. But I still really miss Baechu. I wish she was here having fun with us. I just really wish she was right beside me.

Sometimes I go to our secret hideout, the old music room, to relive our memories. It was short but meaningful. I was actually happy.

Baechu, I don’t know what you’re doing up there but just know that I really miss you. Thank you for the good memories we shared.

I love you.

 


 

The song is entitled One of These Nights by Red Velvet. Give it a listen!