I Don’t Believe in Ghosts

A Ghost Story 귀신 이야기

“Hey, transferee! It's late. Aren't you leaving yet?”

“Ah! Not yet. I have to return these books to the shelves.”

“You can do that tomorrow, you know?”

“Oh, it’s alright! There’s not much left so I’ll just finish this.”

“Hey! Did you know there are… ghosts in this library? Spooky~”

“Haha! I don't believe in ghosts, sunbaenim.”

“I’m just kidding. Alright then! I'll take my leave. Great work today. See you tomorrow!”

A lot of people try to scare me with ghost stories but honestly, they're just like any other story to me… stories for fun and entertainment purposes. I don’t really believe in stuff like ghosts, monsters, curses, and other superstitious beliefs. I MIGHT believe in a greater being, though. I guess I’d call myself a skeptic.

I only came to this school yesterday and I've already heard a lot of different ghost stories. Well, considering it's very old, there should be a lot of stories going around. The classroom at the end of the third floor, the chemistry lab, the auditorium, the gym restroom, the huge acacia tree near the field, this library, they all have pretty interesting stories.

Even though I don’t believe them, I do enjoy listening to those stories. It’s fascinating to me how people come up with scary storylines, but I'm not scared of those stories at all. Right. I don't believe in ghosts, but I just saw something pass by in the corner of my eye, and I’m pretty sure that I’m alone in the library. Was that my imagination? Oh well, I'll just finish this and go home. I guess I’m so hungry that I’m seeing things.

Wait. There it is again.

“Hello! Is anybody else still here?”

“...”

“The library is closed.”

Where is— ah, there. A girl with long dark hair and really pale skin. Is she studying? At this hour? I commend her diligence.

“Excuse me. Aren't you going home yet?”

She looked at me with her deep brown eyes. Wow, she's very pretty… but what's with that surprised reaction? It’s as if she saw a ghost.

“A-are you talking to me?”

“Yes, uh… the library’s closed and you have to leave. Sorry.”

“You can see me? You can hear me?”

“Umm… yes? I—”

“Really?! Oh gosh. Wait, are you new here? I think it's my first time seeing you.”

“Yeah! I transferred just yesterday and applied to be a library assistant because I love reading books and I thought being a library assistant would be great. Ah, did I talk too much?”

Wow, her soft giggle is adorable. But she's acting kinda strange. Who is this girl?

“By the way, I’m Son Seungwan and you are…?”

“I… I don't know. I don’t remember. You see, Seungwan. I think we're having a misunderstanding here. I'm a ghost.”

“W-what? A ghost? Ahahah! That’s funny. You're one of those kids trying to scare this transferee. Nope, ain't gonna work.”

“Touch me.”

W-what is she suddenly saying? Why would she want me to touch her? What- what? She’s approaching me. Wait, stop! Stop! Huh?

“Whoa! What?! Did you just pass through- WHAT? I’m not dreaming, am I?”

I am in absolute shock. I don't know what to do. Am I dreaming? I'm biting the inside of my cheek and it's about to bleed. Ow! I guess I'm not dreaming but... this can’t be real. Am I hallucinating?

“I must be very hungry that I'm hallucinating. Haha!”

“Oh, haven't you eaten?”

Ah, I'm thinking out loud again. No, no, no. She’s walking towards me. Oh my god! Please don't approach me. What the-

“I hope you're not afraid of me. Please don't be afraid of me.”

What is this? She looks like she’s about to cry. Her sad expression makes me feel kinda sad too. Is she really a ghost? Can I trust her? I am so confused right now. There’s a lot to process. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should give her a chance.

“A-alright. I won't be. But… you wouldn't hurt me, would you?”

“No, no, no! I would never. I'm not that kind of ghost. Actually, I don't really know what kind of ghost I am. I just suddenly woke up in this school. As far as I can remember, nobody could see or hear me until you came.”

“But there are rumors of ghosts everywhere in this school. Aren't you one of those?”

“I'm pretty sure I'm not. I don't look like an old priest, do I?”

Well, she definitely doesn't. She's breathtakingly beautiful but... she's a ghost? I can't process all these.

“Um… How should I call you then?”

“I- I don't know… can you think of something?”

“Cabbage…”

“Excuse me?”

“B-baechu… th-the picture on that book you were looking at is a cabbage.”

“Are you going to call me Baechu? Haha! That’s fine by me.”

I don’t- What am I doing? Talking to a ghost? Is she really a ghost? Can ghosts act like this? Do ghosts act like this? Do ghosts look like this? This isn't a prank, is it? I have too many questions.

“Aren't you going to finish that and go home?”

“I-uh… yeah! Hehe. Y-you're not gonna follow me to my house, are you?”

“No. I can't leave the school premises.”

“Really? How come?”

“I don't really know too. I mean… I don't even know who I am.”

“Right. Well Baechu, I gotta go now. I guess I'll come again tomorrow afternoon.”

“Alright. Goodbye.”

She smiled so brightly at me. The way she habitually raises her eyebrow is kinda charming too. It feels strange. Was I really talking to a ghost? Is this really not a dream? I'm definitely awake and walking my way home now. Hold on, I'm gonna call Seulgi. I have to tell my best friend what's going on.

 


 

*Ring ring*

“Oh! Seungwan-ah. Are you doing well? I miss you.”

“Aww, I miss you too, Seul. I’m doing great, you?”

“I’m fine. What’s up?”

“There's something I want to tell you. It’s so weird, you won't believe what happened to me in my new school.”

“Why? Did someone ask you out already?”

“No, no, no… I saw a ghost.”

“Seungwan-ah! Stop scaring me. Wait. I thought you said you don't believe in ghosts?”

Seulgi is a huge scaredy cat but she likes watching horror movies and I always have to be there when she does, so she won’t be too scared. I totally understand why she’d got a little scared when I told her I saw a ghost because number one, it is established that I do not believe in ghosts… until today, I guess?

“I can't believe what just happened either. Everything happened so fast. I just talked to her, she said she was a ghost, I gave her a weird name, and went home.”

“Son Seungwan… are you okay? Are you sick?”

“No, no. I'm fine, really. But it's true, Seul.”

“It sounds weird, coming from you. Maybe you just got a little shocked because you're in a new environment. You'll be fine.”

I hope so. I hope she’s right. Oh man, my phone is running out of battery. I'll have to hang up. I'm getting sleepy as well. There’s too much to take in and it’s draining my energy.

“I'm hanging up, Seulgi. My phone is about to die. I'll call again to update you. Good night!”

“Alright! Good night, Wan. Sleep well.”

Good night! I am drained. I am exhausted. I still can’t believe all of these and I really hope when I wake up tomorrow, all of these turn out to be a dream.