Chapter 4

The Perils of Being Young
Please log in to read the full chapter

Byulyi was never a drinker. The only time she drank alcohol was when she had to socialise and fit in on some occasions. However, this time round, she downed a shot without a second thought and ordered another promptly. As she looked at her only friend in university take another shot, Hyejin instantly regretted suggesting that they go to a pub. In her defence, she only proposed the pub jokingly when Byulyi knocked on her door as she knew that Byulyi was not a fan of drinking.

“None for you today?” Woogie asked as he set down a glass on the counter.

“I’ll need all my energy later,” Hyejin replied and gestured towards her right, where a forlorn Byulyi sat.

“You sure do… if she’s anything like you,” Woogie taunted and acted out a puking motion. “Look out for the hair!”

“Shut it,” Hyejin said as she rolled her eyes.

 

-Flashback-

“Have fun… and stay safe…” Hyejin mumbled out the words laced with reluctance.

“I’ll miss you, Hyejinnie,” the other girl beamed. “Our paths will cross again when the time comes.”

Hyejin smiled bitterly at the last sentence. She wished she shared the same amount of faith and optimism as the other girl. She wished that she could make her stay, but they were nothing but friends. She wished that she could follow her, but she had to things to do still. In the year they were together, Hyejin was drawn to the other girl. However, she had her family business to take care of and believed that she did not have the capacity to devote herself to the other girl. Hence, she kept her distance, and enjoyed whatever little pockets of time she could squeeze in for her. However, she never knew that they would run out of time that quickly.

As much as she wanted, an attempt to make her stay by confessing was not appealing to Hyejin either. If the other girl did not reciprocate her feelings, the beautiful memories they had made together would forever be tainted by the awkward ending. If the other girl accepted her confession, she would be pressured to stay and that was a kind of stress Hyejin was not keen on imposing on the other girl. The other girl’s free spirit was one of the things Hyejin loved and she knew that it was only right to let her go.

As soon as the other girl entered the car, Hyejin turned her back immediate

Please log in to read the full chapter