Incheon, Spring 2016

Me or Her?

Jumin and Jihyun insisted that they had to send Hana away at the airport. Hana was very thankful to both boys and started to tear up again when the boys helped her parents arranging their luggage. Most of her belongings were sent away in advance so they wouldn’t be struggling with too many baggage.

“Thank you, Jihyun, Jumin,” Hana’s mother smiled to both boys.

“Don’t mention it, Ms. Kang. We are happy to help,” Jumin replied courteously. Jihyun remained quiet beside him, observing Hana who looked like she was going to cry. An airport announcement announced that the passengers of Korean Air to Vienna could proceed with check-in.

“Jihyun, Jumin, thank you for sending Hana away. I hope you both get home safe,” said Hana’s father, smiling at both boys. Hana’s parents adore Jumin and Jihyun so much for treating their daughter like their own sibling.

Jumin bowed slightly. “Yes, sir. Our driver Mr. Kim is still waiting, so no need to worry. I hope you have a safe flight.”

Hana’s father nodded, recognizing the name of Han’s family driver Mr. Kim. “Hana, it’s time. We have to go through immigration and all, so we have to hurry a bit,” said Hana’s father as turned his head to Hana.

Hana nodded, making her way in front of the boys to hug them goodbye. It had been a long time since she hugged Jumin since Jumin wasn’t very fond of being touched, but surprisingly it didn’t feel awkward at all. Jumin felt so… familiar.

“Thank you, Jumin. For everything you’ve done for me. You are such a good friend,” Hana said as she buried her face at the crook of his neck.

 

 

“Be safe, Hana. We will exchange letters to stay connected.” Jumin patted her back reassuringly.

Hana nodded and released herself from Jumin before turning to Jihyun who already had his arms open, ready to embrace her. Hana enveloped herself in the warmth of his, trying to remember his scent.

“I can’t wait for you to come back,” Jihyun said as he ruffled Hana’s hair.

When Hana was about to release herself, something stopped her and suddenly she had this courage to tell Jihyun how she felt. “I like you,” Hana whispered in Jihyun’s left ear, making sure he was the only one who could hear it. Then, she released herself and waved at them as she joined her parents making their way to check-in counters. Hana couldn’t forget their faces. Jumin stayed calm as always, though she sensed him being more emotional than usual. And Jihyun… he looked surprised after hearing your confession. Hana smiled for the last time to her precious childhood friends before walking away and not looking back. She would eventually come back, after all.