Vienna, Autumn 2015

Me or Her?

Hana was 25 years old now, freshly graduated from university. She fell in love with Vienna’s architecture from the first time she set her foot here. Eventually she learned to draw, perfecting her math and physics in order to get enrolled in Institute of Architecture in one of the most famous universities in Vienna. Drawing had always close to her heart, reminding her every time about her beloved childhood friend Jihyun.

For one year since their parting, Hana regularly send e-mails and postcards to Jihyun and Jumin. Jumin’s new hobby was collecting postcards she sent, Jihyun’s new hobby was re-painting the scenery of the postcards, and Hana’s new hobby was finding picturesque postcards around Europe. During her first year stay in Vienna, Hana asked her mother to accompany her traveling to some Europe countries around Austria like Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, and Italy to search for more postcards. Not only postcards, they also sent their own photos to each other. Hana had this special board in her room and decorated it with their old photos and the boys’ new photos. Whenever she needed strength, she would look at that board and felt better immediately.

Sadly, this tradition didn’t last very long. Three of them became really busy in their third year of high school as they prepared for university enrollment. Exchanging e-mails and postcards becoming less frequent, Hana’s board remained the same for quite some time because she didn’t receive new photos of the boys. Sometimes she thought of them during the night when she was about to fall asleep, but her daily hassles naturally made her forget about Jumin and Jihyun during the day. Because she started drawing a little late, Hana had to work harder to secure her place in the Institute of Architecture.

There were times when Jumin or Jihyun missed her birthday, but Hana consistently sending both boys birthday and holiday greetings, sometimes even presents. It was quite hard to find both boys on social media as they liked to stay lowkey, especially Jihyun. Sometimes Hana recognized Jumin on the news or business magazines, making her relieved that Jumin seemed to be doing well. Apparently Jumin was picked as the hottest, richest, and most wanted bachelor in South Korea. Hana was beyond curious of how Jihyun was doing, but Hana had hard time finding what Jihyun was up to because he was even more secretive and lowkey than Jumin, who had no choice but to have spotlight above his head since he was little. Ever since her abrupt confession at the airport, Jihyun didn’t treat her any different, nor they talked further regarding the matter. However, Hana couldn’t deny the butterfly-in-my-stomach feelings every time she received letters from Jihyun. Perhaps the saying “first love holds a special space in your heart” was true after all.

That calm evening, Hana found herself staring a little too long at photographs on her special board, especially at the mint-haired boy. Oh, how she missed him. She wondered what he was doing right now in South Korea. Was he even in South Korea?

An incoming call from her colleague at work forced her diverting attention to her phone. “Hello? I was about to leave. What? You can’t make it? What a shame… No problem, I’ll attend the exhibition by myself. Hopefully your father will get better soon. Yeah? Oh, don’t worry about me, I’m used to go everywhere alone. I’ll make sure to enjoy the exhibition and share the experience with you. Take care!”

Without delaying more time, Hana stepped out of her apartment with her bag to attend photography exhibition that was held at the heart of Vienna. She planned to get more inspirations for her designs. It was not her first time to attend such exhibition to broaden her ideas, so she was feeling content although she had to go solo.

As soon as she arrived at the exhibition center, she was greeted by a committee who handed her a map brochure. Not paying too much attention to the map, she roamed freely to examine photographs. Each photographer had their own unique focus, but all of them were nature-related. Hana made a mental note whenever she got ideas for her designs.

After hearing a British photographer about his work, Hana thanked him politely before moving on to the next theme. The next photographer was not on the spot, so Hana decided to quietly examining their photographs—mostly of the great Sun. Something on the photographs drew her in, mesmerized her completely. She just stood on the same spot longer than she usually spent, only to gaze at the sun photographs when suddenly someone called her.

“Hana…?”

Hana felt her blood ran cold, her breathing stopped, her eyes widened. Although she hadn’t heard it for the longest time—and the voice was deeper than she remembered—she recognized the owner of the voice without a doubt. Carefully Hana turned her heels to face the person who called her. Mint hair… Mint eyes…

“Jihyun!”

Hana threw herself at Jihyun to give him a hug. Jihyun enveloped his arms around Hana, chuckled in disbelief. As she buried her face on his chest, Hana felt the need to re-confirm if it was really the Jihyun she knew so she stepped away from the hug and gazed at him from head to toe with her tearful eyes. Jihyun released his arms from her, smiling brightly at her. It was the Jihyun she knew, but somehow he looked different. The Jihyun in front of her had grown a few more inches, his shoulders wider, hair longer. He looked handsome and mature with his long coat.

“It’s really you…” her smile bloomed. “I miss you so much, Jihyun!”

He returned her smile. “I’m sorry I haven’t been the best friend you need for these past few years. I’ve been busy travelling the world for my job. How are you, Hana? You look well. I notice your hair is longer now.”

“I’m more than fine now that you’re here,” Hana chuckled. “Actually, I’m here looking for inspirations for my designs. I am now an intern at architectural firm. I see that you’re taking pictures now? Your shots are beyond beautiful.”

Jihyun smile grew wider. “I’m glad you think so. I’ve stopped drawing for quite a while now.”

“Oh?” Hana looked shocked.

“It’s… not very comfortable for me to express myself through drawing. I prefer taking pictures now.”

“Too bad… Your drawings were just as compelling. I started drawing because of you, you know? It reminds me of you, making me feel content though I don’t have you by my side for these past years.” Hana blushed a little, regretting why she confessed such thing in front of Jihyun. “Um… How’s Jumin? Is he still busy?” She quickly changed the topic.

Jihyun who seemed to be stunned by her confession, regained his composure. “He is actually busier than ever since becoming the director of his father’s company, C&R. Even I don’t get to meet him often, since our schedules rarely matched. However, if we have time we usually drink wine at his penthouse and talk as usual.”

Hana automatically imagined Jumin and Jihyun sipping wine together elegantly. “I envy both of you that you get to drink alcohol the first time together. I remember we promised to spend our first day as an adult together.”

Jihyun laughed a little, also remembering the promise. “Actually since you moved away, Jumin didn’t get exposure to commoner world that much so we spent our first day as an adult at his father’s house, tasting some of his expensive alcohol.”

“Oh my, you guys are still mischievous!” Hana couldn’t hold back a laughter imagining newly adult Jumin and Jihyun tasting Mr. Han’s collection of expensive alcohol that he treasured greatly. “That gives me idea, we should get a drink while you’re here! How long do you plan to stay in Vienna?”

“For a whole week, but I have to remain standby at the exhibition for four more days. I planned to explore the city once the exhibition ends.”

“Great! We can explore the city together while catching up—”

Suddenly a blonde lady showed up behind Jihyun and reached for his left arm, stopping Hana midsentence. “V, I’m done exploring. How about—oh? Who’s this?” The lady smiled at Hana.

Hana noticed how Jihyun lost his cool for a moment, but quickly snapped himself back. “Do you remember my childhood friend whom I mentioned sometimes? It’s her, Kang Hana. She has been living in Vienna after moving from Seoul years ago.”

The lady’s face brightened up. “Oh! So you’re Hana. It’s really nice to meet you. I didn’t know you would be here.” She grabbed Hana’s hands excitedly. “My name is Rika.” Rika’s voice was feminine and slightly high-pitch, reminded Hana of the sound of ringing bell.

“Rika, it’s a pleasure to meet you as well. Actually, I didn’t know that Jihyun will be here, so this is a pleasant coincident that we meet.” Hana replied her smile as she observed Rika. Rika was beautiful, no doubt. Her long wavy blonde hair was shining, her green eyes were sparkling, and her skin was milky white. She was probably around 5’2”, making her looked adorably small beside Jihyun. Hana realized she had been staring for too long so she asked question politely, “Are you a photographer too, Rika?”

Rika released Hana’s hands to cover her own mouth elegantly as she laughed. “Oh no, I’m not a photographer… though I admired V’s photographs very much. Ah, you must be confused—V is Jihyun’s professional name, so everybody rarely called him Jihyun now.”

Hana nodded at her explanation. “So how did you guys come to Vienna together?”

“I’m his fiancée, so it’s only natural that we come together right?” Rika asked brightly as she hugged Jihyun’s left arm.

Jihyun noticed how Hana’s composure shifted from relaxed to guarded. He instantly felt bad that Rika had to be the one who introduce herself as his fiancée. Noting the brief surprise and disappointed look on Hana’s face, Jihyun immediately remembered her confession long time ago at the airport. I like you… His eyes met Hana’s for a brief moment, but he looked away as he couldn’t bear the guilt.

“Oh… I didn’t know that Jihyun has fiancée. I guess we haven’t been catching up for too long,” Hana said considerably calm despite the storm inside her. “Perhaps… You know Jumin too, Rika?”

“Of course I know Jumin! He’s also a good friend of mine. I enjoy spending time with Jumin and V, just talking about stuff and all. Three of us are on good terms,” Rika answered, still bright as if she didn’t notice the hurt look on Hana’s face.

Hana felt her breath hitched as if Rika just punched her on the stomach for the second time tonight. She knew she was disappointed to the fact that Rika seemed to replace her place in Jumin and Jihyun’s life, but the amount of physical pain she was feeling was beyond bearable right now. Aside from her heart which thumped rigorously, Hana also felt it twisted in the most painful way an emotional pain could ever make. She blinked several times to hold back the tears on her eyes. There was no way she would admit her defeat in front of Rika, who looked oblivious of the impact she threw at Hana. Hana wasn’t sure whether Rika was really naïve or she just pretended not to notice.

“That’s good,” Hana brought herself to speak, thankfully her voice wasn’t as hoarse as she expected. “It’s really nice meeting both of you, but I have to look at other works too before it gets too late.”

“You can come back here when you’re finished, Hana,” Jihyun finally spoke.

Hana met his eyes bravely as she coerced a smile. “I’ll get going first.”

“Enjoy your visit, Hana! Let’s meet again,” Rika asked cheerfully.

Hana didn’t want to lie on her face, so she didn’t answer and offered them polite smile instead. Afraid her tears might spill at any moment, Hana rushed out from the lovers’ sights in steady footsteps. As soon as Hana was sure that she was out of sight, Hana quickened her pace and found herself running towards the exit. Her breath hitched as she choked holding her tears back, but she didn’t stop running as she made it outside. She ran, ran, and ran. She just wanted to run. Tears finally spilled and blurred her eyes, but she quickly wiped it and continued to run. Her heart hammered inside her chest, but she didn’t stop running. She couldn’t deny how disappointed and hurt she felt when she realized that a girl as bright and beautiful as Rika had replaced her. Not only she had Jihyun by her side as a lover, Rika also had Jumin by her side as her friend. How envious Hana was. She had always thought that her connection with Jumin and Jihyun was special, but now it was clear that 10 years could bring so much differences in their lives. She continued to run, run, and run until her legs gave up. Hana didn’t care even if people stared at her, she just continued to sob quietly and tried to inhale deep breath to ease the tight knot on her chest. Suddenly all her plan to move back to South Korea didn’t sound so special and exciting anymore.