Seoul, Winter 2005

Me or Her?

“Hana! Kim Jihyun is looking for you!”

Hana, who was now 15 years old and a senior in middle school, turned her head to her classmate who called her name. She noticed Jihyun’s mint hair but his face wasn’t visible because he turned his head away from the opened door. It seemed like Jihyun talked to some of your classmates outside the classroom. “I have to go to the academy,” Hana mumbled as she packed her bag.

“So jealous of you Hana,” one of her friends, Naeun, pouted cutely. “You have two knights in shining armor by your sides. The very handsome ones, not to forget!”

“Are you sure you don’t want to date either Jumin or Jihyun?” asked Dami curiously.

Hana could feel her face heat up. “It’s not like that, guys. I’ve told you, we’re childhood friends. That’s why we’re so close,” Hana answered automatically as she was asked that question too many times already. She couldn’t deny the quickened pace of her heart, though. As she got up from her seat, Hana waved to her friends. “Be careful on your way home!”

Hana made her way outside her classroom just in time as Jihyun bade goodbye to her classmates whom he had been talking to. “What took you so long, Hana? I thought you were going to my class,” Jihyun asked lightly. Both of them started to walk toward the school gate side by side.

“Sorry, I got carried away talking with my friends,” Hana smiled apologetically.

“Gossiping about boys?” Jihyun teased, wriggling his eyebrows up and down. Hana laughed at him. He’s so cute!

“Bingo!” Hana confirmed cheekily, “but, where’s Jumin?”

On some days, the three of them would leave school together to attend private academy not far from school. It was the best academy one could attend, considering it got the highest enrollment rate at SKY University among many other academies. Unlike other academies which its classes packed with students, the private academy the trio went into accepted requests from clients regarding its class size. Thus, the academy made it possible for Hana, Jumin, and Jihyun got tutoring from best tutors in one class, not having to worry about any distractions from other students.

“Jumin has to go home early today, his father is home with his new wife,” Jihyun explained. “I kind of feel bad for him.”

Hana sighed. “Yeah, me too.” Jumin’s family was always seemed complicated, considering his father’s continuous flings with several women. Jumin despised this nature of his father, though he respected his father greatly. It was one ultimate reason why Jumin distanced himself from girls other than Hana—he believed that most girls had hidden motives in pursuing him.

Hana and Jihyun strolled in comfortable silence for some time. For some reasons Hana couldn’t help but to peek over Jihyun several times, observing his features. Over the years, the three of them remained close friends and grew up together. Unlike her usual bob style when she was younger, Hana grew her brunette hair just over the shoulder and cut a straight bangs to cover her forehead. Though she was still lean, right now she was slightly taller than most of her female friends now, which was strange because she used to be a petite as a child. Jumin went through growth spurt some time during first of second grade of middle school and gained some lean muscles from his regular sport schedules. Lots of female students admired Jumin because of his handsome face, intelligence, manners, and his family’s wealth. Jumin was appointed as the best student of the year for eight consecutive years since elementary school—he just had to wait a few more months to collect his ninth title as they finished the semester. His cold nature was the only reason why he never had girlfriend despite his popularity. Speaking of popularity, Jihyun was also popular in school. Unlike Jumin’s cold nature, Jihyun acted kind enough to people though choosing to remain secretive of his personal information. His mint hair made his handsome face more ethereal, more mysterious. Though Jihyun was not as tall as Jumin, he was still considered one of the tallest male students in school. He was still going through puberty, but Hana had already noticed several things that made Jihyun more like a grown up now.

As childhood friends, Hana had always thought that it was only natural to have special affection for both boys and an urge to spend time with them. Jumin, who was cold to most other people, only showed the slightest affection in his own way to Jihyun and Hana. Jihyun, who remained secretive of his personal thoughts, opened up a little bit more to Jumin and Hana. Hana, who was very timid, grew assertive and comfortable around both boys. The three of them shared a special bond, but Hana noticed that she had always seen Jihyun as someone more special. She didn’t know what to call it—long time crush, maybe? She really wanted to wait and see how her relationship with Jihyun progressed as they grew up. However, her current situation might not let her do that. This one secret… Hana had contemplated when was the right time to tell Jihyun and Jumin, but because Hana herself were still struggling to face it, she didn’t want to discuss it yet with the boys. Unconsciously, Hana let out a sigh.

“You’re so quiet today,” Jihyun’s remark brought Hana back from her train of thought. She only noticed that they were on the street near the academy already.

“Sorry, I have something in mind. Nothing important, though,” Hana reassured quickly.

Jihyun noticed the way Hana suddenly sounded different, but they had reached the academy so Jihyun decided not to ask questions about it. He was concerned that if he asked now, Hana’s mood would spoil more and she couldn’t concentrate during tutoring. Questions can wait, Jihyun reassured himself.

After tutoring ended, it was already dark outside. Night came early because it was winter at that time. Though it was cold, Hana felt like she didn’t want to go home yet. It was rare for her to spend time alone with Jihyun, so she wanted to make the most out of it. “Do you want to hang out at the playground for a bit? I don’t wanna go home yet,” Hana asked.

“Why not?”

As they reached a nearby playground, each of them sat on the swing side by side. Suddenly a strong gush of wind passed by, ruffling Hana’s hair in the process.

“Oh gosh, it’s so cold!” Hana squealed, tightening her coat to cover more of her body.

Without a word Jihyun untied his wool-scarf and tried to tie it around Hana’s neck. “Next time don’t forget to wear scarf, Hana… And use longer socks, I bet your knees are really cold.”

“Jihyun, it’s okay! You can keep you scarf, I—”

Jihyun pretended to be deaf as he continued tying the scarf neatly around Hana’s neck. “Don’t mind me, I know you’re cold. Just wear my scarf, okay? I don’t want you to get sick.”

“Okay…” Again, Hana felt her cheeks warmed up. As soon as Jihyun finished tying his scarf on Hana, he sat back on his swing.

“Hana… Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“You seemed a bit bothered when we left school. Is something troubling you?”

Hana met his eyes, wondering whether to tell him the news she should’ve told them ever since she heard it. Jumin wasn’t here, but Hana couldn’t deny Jihyun’s precise observation. She took a deep breath and smiled at him—partly to ease her queasiness, “It’s just that… I just realized we had been friends for quite a long time, with Jumin.”

Jihyun nodded, smiling fondly at the thought. “You guys are friends whom I trust the most. We’ve always been at each other’s side since we were five, and I have to say I’m ever so thankful that we’re still friends until this day.”

“I think it’s me who has to be thankful to both of you,” Hana mumbled. “I had no friends back then, but you two were so nice to me. Even Jumin whom I thought quite intimidating was on my side when those girls in elementary bullied me for being close to both of you!”

“I’ve never seen Jumin that angry,” Jihyun added, also remembering the scene. “He’s not the type to express his anger, but that time he scolded those girls pretty badly. What were those girls doing anyway? We were still kids and it was not the time for love, yet they were swooning over Jumin already.”

“Ya, they were also attracted to you, just so you know. You had fangirls even back then,” Hana , knowing that he would deny the whole thing but his ears grew red. Noticing his ears really turned red, Hana laughed whole-heartedly.

“I don’t need girl friends like that. I have you.”

Hana felt blush creeping on her cheeks, so she looked down to hide it. She couldn’t describe it, but the way Jihyun said that warmed her heart more than anything.

“You and Jumin are the most precious friends I’ve ever had. I hope we can still be friends for a long time,” added Jihyun as he tilted his head slightly to the right as he flashed his kind smile. “You know, when my mother died… It was really hard for me. When my father didn’t care at all, you and Jumin were there for me, providing me a safe space to cry. I can never thank you enough for that.”

Hana smiled empathically, knowing that it was the hardest period for Jihyun. Ever since they became friends, Hana knew that Jihyun’s parents lived separately. At that time Jihyun didn’t mind to live with his father because he preferred his father more, but just last year Jihyun found out that his mother lost her hearings as she gave birth to Jihyun. When he just started learning to accept and love his mother, a few months later his mother passed away due to her health condition.

“Regarding my mother, I’m especially thankful to you Hana,” Jihyun continued to gaze into Hana’s eyes, not wavering a bit. “You were the one to encouraged me to reach out to my mother, trying to understand her world… Her unconditional love for me. I don’t think I even deserve her love at all.” Jihyun dropped her head, breaking the eye-contact.

“Of course you deserve her love, Jihyun… You were her son. Her only son. I can tell how much she adored you.”

Jihyun lifted his head, smiled slightly. “That’s so nice of you to say that, Hana. Thanks to you and Jumin, I gathered up my courage to try out my long-forgotten passion—painting. Thanks to both of you, I’ve found my dream, though I’m not ready to pursue it yet since my father has always prepared me to be a businessman.”

“I know I’ve said it too much, but I really like your paintings. I wish you could paint one for me to remember our friendship.” No matter how lightly she wanted to speak, she felt like tears might threaten to spill any moment. Jihyun’s warm words and the train of memories of their friendship over the years made her sure that delivering the news she had been hiding wasn’t going to be easy.

“Sure, I can paint you one. But why do you need one to remember our friendship? We’re always together anyway.”

“I…” Hana gulped. “I’m moving abroad, Jihyun.”

Then, it was silence. The only sound could be heard was howling wind and light creaking sound of the swings.

“Why…?” Jihyun finally spoke, his voice was low.

“My father got transferred to his company’s branch in Vienna. Seems like it’s a permanent transfer, so we all have to move.”

“So… We are not going to enroll at the same high school, just as we planned?”

Hana let out a trembled sigh. “Yeah.”

Again, silence fell as both of them were busy minding their own train of thoughts. “When?” Jihyun asked.

“Right away after graduation.”

Jihyun wasn’t sure what he felt at that moment, but he felt as if someone twisted his insides on purpose. It was not the most comfortable feelings at all. “I thought we are always going to be together,” Jihyun sighed. “It’s a shame that you have to move away, Hana. I’m going to miss you. You are a dear friend of mine, Hana.”

Hana ducked his head further and blinked away her tears. She had cried in front of Jihyun and Jumin when they were little, but as they grew up Hana tried not to show her tears as often in front of the boys. Jihyun was sure that Hana was trying so hard to hold back her tears—and probably didn’t want him to know either—but remembering how little time they got before they parted their ways, Jihyun got up from his swing and kneeled down in front of Hana.

“Hey,” he whispered, “don’t cry…”

Hana felt his thumb wiping away her tears which almost spilled from the corner of her eyes. “I’m going to miss you too, both of you. What am I going to do if I miss you?”

“Don’t worry, we are going to exchange letters or e-mails! We have to use our parent’s computer though, but either way is fine as long as we get to stay in touch,” Jihyun said cheerfully, trying to make Hana feeling a little more positive about the situation. Jihyun understood why Hana was concerned about moving abroad. Hana was a timid girl in new environments, and all this time Jumin and himself were always there to help her.

“It’s weird that I won’t get to go to school with both of you anymore. We’re always going together…” Hana sniffled. Deep down, her heart was hurting by the thought of not being able to see Jihyun as often anymore. She still liked him so much…

“I believe this is a part of growing up,” Jihyun explained warmly as he patted Hana’s head, “and who knows? We can get back together once you’re back to Seoul!”

Hana felt a spark of hope building up inside her. Right, this was going to be temporary. Once this passed, Hana could reunite with her two beloved friends. “Promise you’ll wait for me?” Hana offered his pinky finger.

Jihyun chuckled seeing her offered pink finger, but he linked his pinky finger with hers anyway. “Promise.”