New Faces, Familiar Face

THE OLYMPUS ACADEMY

CHAPTER 3


[MINNIE’s Perspective]

After an hour of walking around the building, we all stop by the 3rd floor. This building is quite big I must say, if she show us the whole thing, it might goes on for hours. It is beautiful indeed. All of the facilities are in good condition, it’s really clean and somehow still look pretty vintage I must say with all the antique furniture. The students seems a little quiet than I imagine and everyone seems to look so sophisticated. It’s kinda cool I guess. I’m just a little worry on how are we going to fit in with these people.


IN THE BUILDING, IN FRONT OF THE STAIRS

Nayeon stood before them before she look at the time from her watch, “Well, alright. I guess that’s the end of the tour. I have to go for a meeting.” She smiles with her hands on her back. “There’s one thing you have to remember, no one is allowed on the 4th floor.”

The girls looking at each other as they are wondering why and Yuqi ask in curiosity, “What’s up there?”

Nayeon just smiles for a second before she answers, “Well, the 4th floor is under maintenance. So no one is allowed there. We don’t want anyone to get hurt while the people are working on it.”

They come to understand as Nayeon explained and just nod.

“Alright! Thank you so much for the tour.” Miyeon said with a bright smile.

Shuhua chimed in with a tired face, “Excuse me, where exactly is the dorm? I don’t think you’ve tell us about it yet and also we’re all exhausted.”

Yuqi agreed with Shuhua, “Right... Where is it though?”

Nayeon giggled a little with the question, “A dorm? That’s really cute of you.”

They are all looking at Nayeon weirdly as Soyeon seems a little annoyed with the giggles that sounds sarcastic to her, “Pardon?” Soyeon asked.

Nayeon quickly held back her laughter and smiles, “There’s no dorms here. You’ll be living in a sorority mansion. It just at the back of the main building. You can find them there. Ask around, they will lead you there. For now, I really need to go. I’ll see you guys around!” She waves a little before she takes her leave.

Soyeon who were frustrated at the little attitude from Nayeon almost curse under her breath, “Aish… that girl. Gosh, she’s so annoying. What the hell is with the laugh? Geez.”

Minnie sighed, “She really expect us to look for the mansion ourselves in this huge compound?” She pouted as she crossed her arms.

Shuhua turns to look at Soojin who has been awfully quiet since the tour in the building started, “Jjin Jjin! Is everything okay?” She cling onto her arm.

Soojin realized it and finally answer as she smiles a little, “Uh, yea… I’m just a little tired.”

Yuqi came on her other side and cling onto her arm too, “Aww poor our Jjin Jjin. Come let me give you a kiss to energize you again.” She makes a pouty lips as if she’s going to kiss her.

Shuhua started to frown at Yuqi and push her face away with her palm, “Hey hey hey! What are you trying to do here, huh? Do you want to die? Don’t bother my girlfriend!”

Yuqi flinch a little when Shuhua pushed her but still not letting go of Soojin’s hand, “Hey! Hey! Get your dirty hand off me, will you?!” She shouted back to Shuhua as she push her hand away from her face.

Soojin just there standing in between the kids’ quarrels and sighs before the other just laughs at their silliness except for Soyeon who is concern towards Soojin.

“Kids, come, let’s go look for the mansion shall we?” She eventually stops their fights as she walks downstairs with her hand in her pocket and the other held the lollipop stick by .

All of them starts to follow her from behind.

 

 

AT THE BACK FIELD, SORORITIES COMPOUND

The girls walking around trying to find the sorority mansion. They found the back field way is like a size of a small complex town. As they are walking, they are all amazed by the mansions and some other buildings within the compound.

“What the hell...” Soyeon said as she was in disbelief on the size of the mansions in the back field.

Minnie joined, “We’re seriously gonna lives in one of these mansions?!” She look at the others as she seems to not believe what she sees.

Yuqi and Miyeon walking together behind Soyeon and Minnie, looking around and spots a café and even some small shops, “They even have their own shops here?!” Yuqi exclaimed.

Miyeon even getting even more excited, “Oh my, I don’t think we even need to go out of this Academy, for real. They sure have everything in here!”

Shuhua at the back clinging to Soojin gets excited along with her sister, “There are places we can hang out, that’s fun!”

As they are walking, looking for the sorority mansion, there’s a girl who stand out in a silk red formal t-shirt with a long black pants, her hair is long and black. She seems to be walking confidently towards them, looking at her phone as her other hand holding a coat by her shoulder. The girls did not notice her until…

“Oh!” Minnie exclaimed in shock when she bump into the girl and before she almost loose her balance, the girl eventually letting go of her jacket to catch Minnie’s arm quickly before the other girls notice it.

“Whoa, whoa…” She hold Minnie’s arm still and staring into Minnie’s eyes as she is concern about her before she apologize quick, “I’m so sorry, are you okay?”

Minnie struck by the look in her eyes and suddenly getting speechless while she’s staring back into the girl’s eyes, “I’m…”

The others looking at the girl and stand close to Minnie to secure her then Soyeon start to talk, “Hey, watch where you going.”

The others just stays quiet at the girl’s presence. The girl just smiles before letting go Minnie’s hand.

“I apologized, I was too focus on my phone. It’s my fault.” She said.

Minnie just looking down as she start to feel a little shy over the girl’s strong girl crush vibe. “It’s… It’s okay.”

Miyeon noticed the jacket on the ground, “Oh, your jacket...”

The girl look at her jacket and quickly pick it up and wipe away the dust, before she focus back to the Minnie, “Are you guys new here? I haven’t seen you guys around.”

Miyeon smiles proudly and answer, “Yes! We’re new here.”

The girl surprised a little and smile to her, “Oh really? Then I shall introduce myself. My name is Moonbyul Yi. You can call me either Byul or Moonbyul. Nice to meet you guys.” She offer a handshake to Minnie, “And you are?”

Minnie started to blush a little before she accept the handshake, “I’m- Minnie. Nice to meet you too.” She said with her eyes slowly meeting Byul’s eyes.

Moonbyul nods with a smiles stay on her face, “Minnie. I’ll make sure I’ll remember that. So, where are you guys headed?”

Yuqi sees the opportunity to ask Byul, “Oh we’re looking for the sorority mansion. Can you help us? We don’t know which one- Just now the vice-president didn’t even tell us which mansion we should get in.” She explained.

Moonbyul’s face changed a bit at the mention of the vice-president, “Ah… Really?” She think for a while, “Um, well I think you can get into the BP House.” She check on her phone before she continues, “I guess I’m heading there too, I need to pick up some stuff. Alright, just follow me.” She smiles to them.

 

AT THE BP HOUSE MANSION

A huge white mansion with silver logo carved on the black wood door, a little bit different from the academy’s building, this mansion looks a mixture of classic and modern style.

Moonbyul leads them to the lobby, “Well, I can only guide you guys until here. There’s somewhere I need to go. They are waiting for me. The leader will handle you guys. I’ll call her and let her know. Wait here.” Moonbyul leaves them and goes upstairs.

Yuqi sighed as she cross her arms, “Why everyone keep leaving us every single time? Ugh.”

Miyeon put her arm on Yuqi’s shoulder, “Oh, don’t be so grumpy, will you?”

As they are talking to each other and waiting at the lobby, they finally heard something coming their way. The sounds of walking in heels, girls talking to each other and laughter echoing at the hallway. It’s slowly approaching the lobby then…

Four girls wearing a set of high fashionable branded clothes match with the fur jackets and 5 inch heels, giving out the mean girls’ vibe while they are cat-walking as if they are on the runway.

One of the stylish girls stops right in front them with her other 3 friends standing by her sides, “Oh. My. God. What is this?” She said in disgust while looking at the girls from head to toe. “What kind of clothes are you even wearing?” She sighs sarcastically. “I cannot stand this view.” The other 3 girls just laugh at them and looking at the girls in a very offensive way.

Soyeon and the girls are already losing it as they feel insulted by the four stylish girls.

Soyeon starts to talk back, “Excuse me? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN?”

The girl start to gasp dramatically when she heard the question and she did not fancy it how Soyeon raised her voice against her, “WELL, EXCUSE YOU? I’M KIM JENNIE, THE ONE WHO MAKES THE RULES AROUND HERE.”

The tallest girl from the group tap gently on Jennie’s shoulder to calm her down, “Jennie, love. They are probably new here that’s why they don’t know us.” She smiles to Jennie but when she turns to look at the troublemaker, her face completely changed.

“Well, let us introduce ourselves, yeah? I’m Lisa.” Said the girl with the red hair.

“And I’m Rose.” She said while flipping her beautiful ash purple hair with her hand and giving that smirk on her face.

And there’s one girl raising her hand a little as she state her name, “Kim Jisoo.”

 “Well, sorry for the not-so-proper introduction but you already heard my name and I won’t say it twice.” Jennie firmly said with that smug on her face.

Soyeon scoff a little as she let out a curse under her breath, “What a .

Lisa and Rose heard it and gasps in disbelieves before Jennie come close towards her new opponent with her arms crossed, standing on her 5 inch heels while looking down at her.

Jennie looks into Soyeon’s fierce eyes and say, “Listen, I’m the leader here. You better keep that attitude. I won’t tolerate it another time. Got it?!” She shouted a little in the end to threaten Soyeon.

 

Soyeon just gives her a wide smiles, “Yeah, sure. Leader.” She replied sarcastically.

Jennie frowns when Soyeon seems to not feel threaten at all, “You— you better watch out!” She grunts before she’s commanding her friends, “Let’s go girls. It’s not even worth it to talk to some punks.”

Jennie and the girls starts to walks away from them as they are glaring at Soyeon and the others.

Yuqi who was quiet and watch them walking out of the door starts to show her bravery to fight back when the door closed, “AISH THAT GIRLS. Aigoo, aigoo! I’m so mad right now.” She gesture a fist as if she was brave enough to fight back.

Soyeon just sighs at Yuqi cowardly show her being pissed while Jennie and the girls were gone, “Ya, ya. They literally can’t hear you now.”

Minnie pout a little, “I guess we just have to find the warden or something.”

 

IN THE ROOM, AT SECOND FLOOR

[What’s In Your House by (G)-Idle slowly starts playing in the background]

It is night time, and Soojin and the girls are chilling in the room. The room are big enough for them all. They got their own bed each, arranged nicely – 3 beds against the wall and each of them facing another 3 beds. It is complete with a dressing table, and nightstands besides every beds. Fresh sets of bedsheet and comfy pillows with blanket, it is almost like a hotel room. And there’s even a bathroom connected to the room, probably the best thing ever.

Soojin sitting on her bed, her back against the headboard, she’s pretending to listen to some songs through her earphone while looking around the room watching the other kids.

Everyone seems pretty occupied with their own things. Soyeon with her headphone, probably listening to some songs with her eyes close. Is she asleep? Miyeon with her non-stop facial treatment. Minnie seems really lost in her romantic novel while smiling to herself. Is she in love or what? And there’s Shuhua and Yuqi arguing while playing mobile games together while I’m here… I don’t know what I am doing. Why am I wearing earphones and didn’t even listen to anything? And… why does the memories keep hitting me back now? Gosh, why do I keep talking in my head? God, stop!

[Song stops as Soojin’s thoughts echoing…]

Soojin eventually shut her eyes for a second as if she is trying to shut her mind as well.

She finally spoken after a while of being quiet, “I’m going out for a while.” She gets off the bed and walks to the door as the others noticed her.

Shuhua glance to Soojin by the door, “What? Where are you going, love? W-wait for me!” She said as she is still focusing on the game.

Yuqi who is looking intensively at her phone, holding Shuhua back. “No no no, you’re not going anywhere. You’re gonna help me rank up!”

Shuhua whines when Yuqi keep her still with her as Miyeon just waves at Soojin, “Alright, don’t be out for too long!” She smiles before she continues with applying the mask on her face.

Soojin just nodded and smile before she walks out and Soyeon heard the door are closing, and before she being able to peek a glimpse of Soojin, the door are already closed.

 

IN THE PARK BESIDES THE MANSION

Soojin sit on one of the bench near the fountain, looking up to the sky, taking a deep breath as she closed her eyes. She smiles as her mind are finally at peace in the quiet night. She whisper to herself, “This feels nice.”

A sudden familiar voice comes from behind, “It is nice here, sometimes.”

She quickly open her eyes as she startled a little and turns her body around to find the voice, “Ah- it’s you. You startled me.”

Moonbyul smiles to her and apologized, “I’m sorry, didn’t mean to startle you. Do you mind if I join?”

Soojin just smile and shake her head, “I don’t mind.”

Moonbyul came to sit beside her at the other end of the bench, leaving a gap in between them. They both stays quiet for a little while before Moonbyul decide to start a conversation.

“So, how’s the room? Did you and your friends like it?” Moonbyul asked as she is watching the water fountain flows beautifully.

Soojin take a glance at her upon the question, “Oh, yeah. It is fine.”

Moonbyul attempts to ask again to keep the conversation going, “I haven’t catch your name yet. What should I call you?” She turns her head to look at her.

“It’s Soojin.” She answered shortly as she’s looking back to her.

Moonbyul starts to laugh a little at the awkwardness that Soojin’s creating, “Wow, I guess you don’t talk much, huh?”

Soojin feels embarrassed a little as she looks down to her hands holding her phone, “Ah, I’m sorry.”

Moonbyul smiles as she’s watching Soojin’s timid movement, “It’s okay. Well, it’s actually better to keep quiet sometimes. Especially when you’re here.”

Soojin feels strange by her words, “What do you mean by that?”

Moonbyul flustered a little as she realized her words slipped, “Oh- well, I mean- since there’s nothing much yet you know here, it is best to keep yourself from any trouble. Some people here can be really mean towards others. It’s best to just focus on ourselves and take care of yourself.”

Soojin try to understand the meaning of what Moonbyul is telling her, “You mean like- bullies?”

Moonbyul slowly nod as she agreed, “Well, pretty much.”

Soojin smiles at the thought of she was a bully too in high school, “Well, I don’t know what to feel about that.”

Moonbyul gets a little confused, “Hm?”

Soojin explains further, “Oh, it just that back in high school, me and my friends are pretty much a bully too.”

“Ah… I see.” Moonbyul giggles as she finally understand. “Well, things could be different here, so always be careful with what you do and what you say. Remember that, alright?”

Soojin look at her and nod her head a little, “Thank you.”

Byul spotted someone is coming towards them from afar and eventually excuse herself, she gets up from the bench with her hands in her pocket, “Alright, I’m going back to my room. You should get inside, it’s cold.”

Soyeon saw Moonbyul talking to Soojin then walking back to the mansion before she proceeds to walk over. Soojin noticed her, “Oh, hey, Soyeon.”

Soyeon stops in front of Soojin and looking at Moonbyul entering the door, “What did you guys talk about?” She asked before she sit beside Soojin.

Soojin just shake her head a little, “No, nothing much.” Soojin saw a blanket in Soyeon’s hand. “Hm? What’s that for?”

Soyeon realized she was bringing the blanket for Soojin, “Oh- this. It’s for you. Did you even realize that you’re wearing a sleeveless shirt and a pair of short pants right now?”

Soojin check herself and finally realized it, “Ah… You’re right.” She take the blanket and wrap it around her. “Thank you, Soyeon ah.”

Soyeon lean her back to the bench with her hands in her pockets, “So, was it really her?”

Soojin confused at Soyeon’s sudden question, “Who do you mean?”

Soyeon turns to look at her, “The blue hair girl. It’s her, right?”

Soojin lean her back to the bench and wrap herself more with the blanket before she sighs, “I don’t know. Maybe it’s just someone else who looks like her.”

“Well… we don’t know that.” Soyeon added.

Soojin stay quiet for a second before she talks, “Even if it’s her, there’s nothing I can say now.”

Soyeon looking up to the sky and says, “I know it has been almost 3 years but still, she owe you an explanation.”

Soojin just keep quiet once again before she lean her head on Soyeon’s shoulder, closing her eyes slowly. Soyeon’s words takes her back to what happened 3 years ago.

 

[NARRATION – SOOJIN]

She was the most popular girl in the high school – a private all-girl school across mine. People in my school even talks about her almost all the time. Overall, she just good in everything, not just by her appearance. She’s a top student in academic, she’s very athletic, and she even participate in several competitions. She comes from a very respective family. You probably can hardly see any flaws in her life. It’s too perfect. But that’s the problem. Nobody knows her better than I do. Why, you asked? Because…

“She was mine.”

 

3 YEARS AGO…

Jeongyeon was waiting at the school’s back gate, wearing her suits uniform – plain white t-shirt with a green tie, a dark grey coat and a pair of slacks, with her hand holding a fantasy novel.

Soojin saw her from across the road and coming towards her with a bright smile before she sneak behind the book that Jeongyeon is holding when she was still too focus on the book.

Soojin pull down the book with her finger and pout her lips a little, “Do you like your novel or me better, hm?”

Jeongyeon was a little surprised to see her adorable girlfriend has arrived and close her book, holding it on her right hand, “When did you arrived, hm?” She smiles before she spoil Soojin with a gentle rub on the top of her head.

Soojin smiling sheepishly at Jeongyeon loving affection towards her, “Just now.”

“Alright, let’s go eat something first.” Jeongyeon takes Soojin’s hand in hers and holding it tightly, keeping her close as they are walking along the sidewalk.

Soojin cling to her arms as she cannot stop smiling while adoring her girlfriend, “What should we eat today, jagiya?”

Jeongyeon started to fluster a little whenever Soojin calling her with a nickname, “Mm- w-what do you want to eat?”

Soojin chuckled at how Jeongyeon reacted to her using the nickname, “You’re so adorable, do you know that?” She whispered to Jeongyeon’s ear.

Jeongyeon started to blush hardly, “Soojin-ah… we’re in public.”

Soojin let out a soft giggle before she poke her red cheek a little, “Alright, alright. Anyway, today I think I’ll eat anything you suggest. Since I’m really happy today.”

“Hm? Why is that?” She look at Soojin.

Soojin shake her head a little as she smiles, “I’ll tell you later.”

 

[Someone Like Me by Twice starts playing]

They keep holding hands as they are walking together towards the restaurant.

“Hey, you haven’t answer me yet.” Soojin looking at her with a sulky face.

“Answer to what?” Jeongyeon look at her before she fix Soojin’s hair a little.

Soojin pout her lips a little, “Which one do you like better? Me or your books?”

Jeongyeon chuckled at her question before she smiles, “What kind of question is that, hm? You already know the answer.” She stop by the door and open it for Soojin. “After you, Princess.”

Soojin started to blush again whenever she noticed every of Jeongyeon’s gestures towards her.

Whatever she does, it would always make my heart flutter. Maybe because it’s my first time being with someone I really like. Someone who adores me the same way as I do. Even though our relationship are tend to be a secret since we both doesn’t want any rumors flying around and if Jeongyeon’s parents ever know, it’s the end of us. The only person who know about it was Soyeon. I can’t hide anything from my own childhood friend.

[Someone Like Me slowly fading…]

 

PRESENT DAY

It was almost 9:30 o’clock in the evening, Soyeon headed back to the room and a while after, Soojin walking back inside the mansion. As she enter the lobby, she heard someone’s walking down the stairs while she is heading towards it. She look up and realized it was her, the girl in blue hair. She continues to walk up the stairs as she is trying to ignore the fact that she is still curious about the girl. They are walking pass by each other at the middle of the stairs, without even exchanging a glance.

Soojin then stops taking another steps before she finally dare to call out a name, “Jeongyeon…”

Her footsteps finally stop as soon as she heard the name. Soojin holding her fist tight as most part of her wanted it to be right but at the same time, she’s scared to face the truth. She takes a deep breath before she turns around and sees the girl still standing there at the last step of the stairs – did not even bother to turn around.

“Jeongyeon-ah… is that really you?” Soojin calling her again to confirm.

Before the blue hair girl looking back to Soojin over her shoulder, two girls came towards her.

“Oh, you are here.” The girl with ginger hair (Sana) approach her, grabbing her attention.

The other girl in a long dark blue hair (Dahyun) suddenly pulling her arm, “We’ve been looking for you.”

Sana glance at Soojin who is still standing there, watching them taking the blue hair girl away before she smiles to her, “Come, let’s go.”

And the three of them eventually walking out of the mansion leaving Soojin frustrated and she proceed to walking up to the second floor, heading back to her room.

 

Soojin enter the room, the lights are dims as most of them are asleep with only Minnie and Soyeon are still awake. Minnie is still reading her book as Soyeon is listening on her headphone again.

Minnie greet her, “Hey, welcome back. Where have you been?”

Soojin walking to her bed and trying to avoid the eye contact, “Ah, I was just out to take some fresh air.”

Soyeon glance at her without saying anything, knowing there’s something not right with Soojin when she suddenly tuck herself in bed and turn off her lamp. “I’m tired, I’ll sleep first.” Soojin said while turning her back to Soyeon, facing the door instead. She closed her eyes.

 

 

ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO…

IN THE AUDITORIUM

Mid-July, it was an important day for Soojin, the day of her dance competition. She had been working hard on the routine for several months, hoping that she win the competition and head for the prize – a full scholarship to enter a respective art college that she had been dreaming to attend. She was nervous to perform, a little overwhelmed with anxiety as she kept on waiting for Jeongyeon. Hoping she would come to support her as she promised.

It is almost her turn to spread her wings and impress the judges. She put down her phone that she had been using all day, looking for Jeongyeon, at the backstage. She take a deep breath before she continued to walk onto the stage. Cheering can be heard mostly from her friends, the troublemakers. They never disappoint her in any way, but deep inside she still feels a little frustrated when the one that she expect to be there the most were nowhere to be seen.

The lights in the auditorium slowly dims, the audience starts getting quiet as Soojin was getting into her position and everyone is focusing on her. As the song ‘Over The Hill’ by Agnes Obel starts to play, she gracefully starts to move her body with the rhythm. The mellow song making her sink in the longing of someone she love. When the song almost comes to an end, she started to cry and lose her focus in her routine – her steps were all over the place, leaving everyone in confusion but she manage to pull herself back together and wrap her performance decently. A loud cheer comes from her best friends and followed by the rest of the audience.

After it ended, Soojin in the backstage was even frustrated with herself when she know that she had messed it up, she could not stop crying as she blaming herself.

A short after, Soyeon sneak in the backstage looking for Soojin. She saw Soojin at the dressing table, sitting with her head down. She slowly approach her, “Soojin-ah…”

Soojin quickly wipe her tears away before she looked at Soyeon, “Ah… Soyeon.”

Soyeon come sit beside her, “Come here.” She pull Soojin into her arms to comfort her. “It’s okay, you did really well. I am proud of you.”

Soojin ended up in tears again as she hugging Soyeon tightly, “I really mess it up…”

Soyeon keep on comforting her non-stop before she sighs, “I’m really sorry but I think I should really tell you this, right now.”

Soojin slowly pulled back to look at Soyeon, “W-what do you mean? Tell me…what?”

“It’s about her, Jeongyeon.”

 

TO BE CONTINUED…