The Academy

THE OLYMPUS ACADEMY

CHAPTER 2

 

 

[NARRATION – SOOJIN]

[Like A Fool (Instrumental) by TWICE intro playing in the background]

It is almost the end of summer. Soon, autumn will come. My girls and I are still struggling to find a good college – well at least some of us. Soyeon seems to already given up on it and Yuqi kept on getting scold in every dinner nights by her dad because of it. I really hope that I can do something for them. Anything. I can’t believe I am saying this but O Lord, please send me a sign…


IN SOYEON’S NEIGHBORHOOD

[Dollar ($$$) Instrumental by G-IDLE playing as intro of the scene]

The sound of shoes running towards the crowd and shouting are quite often heard in the neighborhood. It is barely quiet where Soyeon’s lives and one of the reasons of what’s happening there was mostly caused by her.

In a quiet alley, Soyeon stop for a while after successfully got away from another worker from another convenient store several blocks from where she hides. Standing against the wall, catching her breath as she look around to check before she take out one cigarette out of the Marlboro Red pack that she had stolen. As she finally rest assured, she lean her back to the wall and place the cigarette to her lips before lights it up. After taking a few hit of the cigarette, her phone rang.

 

[Background music fades out…]

“Hm? Who’s calling this early morning?” She said to herself as she is taking out her phone of her pocket and pick up that call.

“SOYEON SOYEON SOYEON!! OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!” Yuqi shouted as soon as Soyeon picked up the phone.

Shocked at Yuqi’s loud voice, Soyeon almost curse out at her while holding the phone away from her ear from a second, “Aish- this kid.” She put it back to her ear. “What is it, Yuqi?”

“I’VE GOT GOOD NEWS! OH OH WAIT WAIT… WE SHOULD DEFINITELY JUST OPEN UP THE CAMERA, LET’S VIDEO CALL! I NEED TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!” Yuqi excitedly said while looking for the camera button. “Oh oh, wait. Where the hell is this camera button- OH HERE!” She talked to herself before she finally open the camera.

Soyeon holds up her phone and smiles widely in sarcastic way at the camera as soon as the video call connected, “You’re looking at me now, happy? So what is it?”

Yuqi waves happily to the camera to greet Soyeon, “Hey, Soyeon-ie! What’s up?! Oh hey, are you outside or something?” She asked as she checks the background from her phone curiously.

Soyeon almost lose her patience when Yuqi seems to ignore her questions but she keep a smile on her face while the tone of her voice started to change, “Yuqi, while I’m asking nicely…”

Before Soyeon is able to finish her sentence, Yuqi took the hint, “O-okay, okay. Relaaax. What I’m trying to say is that…” She look for something on her bed. “Wait- where is it, where is it?!” Panicked for no reasons, she gets up from the bed then eventually found what she look for. “Oh here it is!” She showed a fancy looking letter to the camera. “LOOK WHO’S GOING TO COLLEGE THIS FALL!!!”

Soyeon surprised at the news and it bring back the smile to her face before throwing the cigarette’s to the ground, “Whoa, really? Gosh, Yuqi, that is so cool! Congratulation! Which college it is?” Soyeon asked eagerly.

Feels prouder than she ever before, Yuqi non-stop smiling from ear to ear, “Oh well… It’s Song Yu Qi. But I’m not quite sure what college this is.” She look back at the letter. “BUT! IT SURE LOOKS PROMOSING. I mean- look at this fancy envelope!” She showed off the envelope with a wax seal stamp. “A regular college wouldn’t use this kind of envelope.”

“Well, wow. Maybe it’s a private college. Anyway, Yuqi ah, I am happy for you.” Soyeon smiles widely while looking at Yuqi in the screen.

“THANK YOU! Hey, let’s meet up this afternoon! I’ll text in the group right now. Alright, seeya!” She waves at Soyeon before end the video call.

After the video call, a silence build up again surround Soyeon. True, she is happy for her friend but at some point she feels envy at how lucky they are in life. Thought of how pathetic her life is compared to the other girls. “Hah, must be nice.” She whispered quietly to herself before she’s looking up to the sky.

 

IN A VIP ROOM AT A PRIVATE CLUB

It is 1:30 o’clock in the afternoon, the girls gather at Yuqi’s father’s Jockey Club, to have a lunch together. After they finished their lunch, each of them place the letter that they have received this morning from the same academy except for Soyeon. They talked about what they have found regarding the academy on the internet yet there are still so many questions in their head as they never even apply nor heard about the academy before.

“So… What do you guys think?” Minnie asked the girls around the table.

“Well, the letter came just right in time when the application for colleges are closed, today.” Miyeon replied while staring at the mysterious letter in front of her, crossing her arms while leaning her back to the chair.

Shuhua holding the envelope and checking on it like a detective analyzing an evidence, “Hmm… maybe there’s someone pranking us?”

Yuqi who sit beside Shuhua, watching her so into her role as a detective, “Shuhua, it’s just a letter. You won’t find anything looking at that thing over and over again.” She shakes her head in disbelief, “Aigoo, how am I even friends with this child?”

Soyeon take a glance at Soojin’s letter and take it to read it briefly, “Just try it out. Maybe it’s worth it though.” She shrug.

“It is weird enough that we all got a letter from the same academy but not Soyeon. What’s even weird is not how fancy this envelope looks but why today? Coincidence?” Soojin questioning more about the situation.

They are all quiet right after as their doubts rising and just then Minnie breaks the silence, “Hey let’s just take some time to think about it, shall we?”

Miyeon nodded as she agreed with Minnie, “Yeah, we should. Plus, maybe Soyeon’s letter came a bit late too. Who knows, right? Let’s just think positive.” She smiles while placing her hand on Soyeon’s shoulder, “Hey, I’m sure you’ll get one too, Soyeon-ah. Don’t lose hope.”

Miyeon’s positivity makes Soyeon feels a little rest assured, “Yeah…” Soyeon slowly nod her head.


OUTSIDE OF THE CLUB

After few hours of hanging at the club, they decided to call it a day. As the rest are about to head back home, Soyeon and Soojin decided to go somewhere else to talk.

“You guys sure don’t want me to drop you guys anywhere?” Miyeon asked them from the driver’s seat window.

Shuhua rolls down the window from the back seat, “Soyeon ah, please take care of my Soojin!”

Soyeon giggled at how Shuhua been looking like a puppy sticking her head over the window, “Don’t worry about it.” She assured.

Minnie joining Shuhua by the window, “Soojin ah, I’ll tell mother that you’ll be home a little late! Take care, you both!”

Right after Yuqi shout from the front passenger’s seat, “Don’t be naughty!”

Miyeon frown a little as she was startled by Yuqi’s loud voice, “Aigoo, aigoo. They are not even kids anymore.” She shakes her head a little before looking back to Soyeon and Soojin. “I better go send these kids now. Alright, see you guys around.” She waves at them with a sweet smile.

They returned the smiles and watch them leave. Awhile afte, Soojin turns her head to Soyeon, “So, are we going there?”

 

AT THE RIVERSIDE

The two childhood best friends are walking along the riverside park as the sun is about to set, they find a place to sit down by the river. Soyeon take out a cigarette again and Soojin noticed it.

“This is the fourth time you smoke within just an hour. Something must be bothering you so much.” Soojin said as she stares blankly at the river, leaning her back to the bench.

Soyeon let out a smoke while enjoying the view, “You know exactly why.”

Soojin let out a sigh, “Don’t ever think that this is the end of your dream. And your future does matter, too.”

Soyeon denies it coldly, “It is does not matter and I don’t even care.”

She scoff a little at Soyeon’s usual reply, “Saying you don’t even care and yet you’re the one who think about it constantly.”

Soyeon stay quietly as she keep smoking her cigarette.

“Sure, if you want to think that way for yourself but…” She turns her head to Soyeon, “What about your mother?”

Soyeon shakes her head a little at the mention of her mom as she knew that’s her biggest weakness, “No, don’t go there.”

Soojin continues to persuade her, “You’re the only daughter that she ever had and she depends on you.”

Soyeon gets a little frustrated at Soojin for reminding her the same thing, “Then, what do you want me to do, huh?” She said firmly as she turns her head to look back at Soojin in the eyes. “What exactly can I do about it? It’s over. I can’t apply for college. I even in studies. I’m nothing, I’m a ing mess. So what’s the point?”

“That doesn’t mean you’re in everything. You used to be so active in sports. You are more than qualify to join any college because you’re good in sports. Look, I’m not even good in sports nor studies and I only contribute to the school because of dancing. How am I any different from you?” Soojin replied as she disagree with how Soyeon think.

It was almost dark and the two of them are both staying silent after a short argument. Soojin knows how Soyeon is a little hot-headed kind of person but she hardly stay mad for long at someone she really close with.

As they both seems to cool down for a bit, Soojin decided to break the silence, “Soyeon ah, we’ve been friends for so long. I had always admire you. Your bravery, your confidence. I’ve seen the real you and I’ve seen how you changed after the incident. But it has been 3 years, Soyeon. I really hope you can learn to forgive yourself and move on. Stop punishing yourself.”

 

[Hear Me by G-IDLE slowly starts to play in the background]

Soyeon slowly shut her eyes as she rest her head to the bench, “Let’s stop there.”

They keep quiet again for a while watching over the night slowly getting darker before they both decided to go back home separately without a word.


[SOYEON’S HOUSE]

The time is almost 10p.m. and Soyeon finally came home. She quietly sneak in as not to wake her mom who is sleeping in the living room on a sleeping mat leaving the lights and TV on. She take off her jacket and walks over to her mom to tuck her with a blanket. Her hand slowly caressing her mom’s hair as she softly whisper, “I love you so much, mom. Please be patience with me.” She smiles lightly watching her mom still in a deep sleep before leaning in to place a soft kiss on her mom’s forehead. She turns off the light and the TV before she walks to her room.

 

[Song fades out]

Closing the door right after she switch on the light, she walks towards her small study table to place her phone before she realized there’s a familiar envelope lies on the table. “Hm?” She frowned a little in confusion. “Wait… no way.” She realized of the possibility of getting the same letter as her friends. She feels a nervous as the little hope she had are slowly gaining, without any doubt, she take the envelope and saw the exact seal stamp. She bravely open it and starts to read the letter.

Soon as she confirms her name in the letter, she scoff a little as she was speechless but relieved at the same time. “Never lose hope.”

 

 

[NARRATION – SOOJIN]

Within a week, we have finally agreed to attend the academy with the permission from our parents and guardians. We had been preparing a lot in just a week. Who knows the academy located overseas? Thank God, the academy provides us with the plane tickets. I guess me and the girls will be having a vacation there too! Though we are not even familiar with the place but I guess it doesn’t really matter. As long as I’m with my girls, I’m sure I will be alright!

After taking a 3 hours flights in the morning and 2 hours ride by a luxury van, they finally arrived at the academy. The total of 5 hours are more than enough to make them feel exhausted but they are rather excited – well, at least some of them.

“We have arrived.” As said by the driver after he open up the door for them.

Miyeon heard the driver’s voice and awake, looking at the others with half-opened eyes, “Hey, girls, we’re here. Come on, wake up. Wake up.” She gently tap on each of them.

They are slowly waking up from their naps.

“Ah, my head…” Shuhua grunt a little as she’s getting a headache from waking up all of sudden.

As soon as they comes out of the van, they sees a majestic looking building in front of them. They are amazed with how huge the academy’s compound actually is.

“WOW. OH. MY. GOD! THIS IS IT. THIS IS IT!” Exclaimed Yuqi, who always be the first to give a big reaction.

Shuhua stay speechless and only left a gasp.

“I… did not expect it to be this big.” Says Minnie while still in awe.

Soojin starting to question the academy as she is still in awe as well, “Is this…even a college?”

Miyeon who seems to be enjoying what she sees, already made a plan in her head, “Oh my, this is wonderful! Look at the garden! The building, the field! We should really take a lot of photos here like, every day!”

Soyeon looking at the building suspiciously while on her lollipop, “Hmm…” She pull out the lollipop, “This place giving me a chill…”

While they are standing by the van, looking around so clueless, 4 tall men in black suits and tie walks over to them to help carrying all of their luggage. They are all taking a back a little and feel a little confused when the men came and take their stuff.

The driver look at them and laugh it off saying, “Don’t be afraid. They are just doing their job. You girls can go to the main field.” He point the direction.

They awkwardly join the laugh for no reason as they are listening to the instruction given by the driver.

“Ah… right. Thank you, Mister.” Miyeon return a smile to the driver.

They started to walk along together towards the main field’s entrance.

Yuqi whispered to them, “Wow, that was awkward.”

They are all laughs at the awkward situation.

Shuhua chime in, “The old man has a very weird laugh. LOL.”

As they are walking, the driver are still standing by the van and staring at them from behind, smiling to himself before his expression started to change completely.

 

AT THE MAIN FIELD

[Upbeat song starts playing in the background]

[NARRATION – SOOJIN]

As soon as we steps in the field, we get a totally different vibes. It is so lively at the field, with all the clubs opening the booths to recruit new members, some of them chilling at the park and talking to each other, some are handing out things. What’s fascinating about these people are that they are all looks so classy. The way they dress and talk seems so formal. This is sure not quite how we would expect to be in a college. I am not even sure if we can fit in with them – well, let’s start with how we dress right now, too casual.

Minnie gasp when she saw all the people there dressing up so nicely, “Omo, are we supposed to wear something formal?” Minnie asked the girls as they stopped by the entrance.

Shuhua pouting as she keep looking around while clinging to Soojin, “I don’t think they say anything about formal clothes.”

Yuqi shake her head in disbelief and face palm, “Wow, I can’t believe I will be ruining my own image on the very first day.”

Miyeon tap on Yuqi’s shoulder gently and give the girls a bright smile to keep their doubts away, “Hey guys, I’m sure it’s fine. I mean, we’re new here. I’m sure they don’t mind it at all.”

Miyeon’s positivity seems to affect Soyeon the most as she fully agreed with her, “Yeah, there’s nothing to be scared of.”

 

[Background music slowly stop]

Soojin still looking around, observing everything before she realized how all the alumni are slowly stops everything and stare at them without any expression while the other girls are still discussing about the dress code, “Um… guys. I-I think they are staring at us.”

The other girls heard what Soojin just said and started to realize the same thing. They are all seems to freak out a little as they standing close side by side.

“W-why are they looking at us like that?” Yuqi’s eyes grows bigger as she stuttered, clinging to Soyeon.

Soyeon starting to lose her patience a little as she feel insulted, “Ah, seriously. Are we even not welcome in here or what?” She said to herself with her eyes still wandering at the faces that staring at them.

Shuhua just keep clinging onto Soojin and stays quiet.

Soon after, they heard the sounds of footsteps approaching, and all the attentions goes to the sound. Then there is a girl in a set of Gucci outfit – long sleeve blouse covered with red and black vintage tweed dress that matched with her tweed jacket, a pair of studded platform shoes, bob cut brown hair and her skin is fair with red lipsticks brush over her lips.

She walks towards them with a bright smile before she stops and stand by them with Soyeon and Soojin standing in the middle as the other girls slowly steps back a little.

The girl finally spoken her first words to the girls, “Good afternoon, everyone. Welcome to Olympus Academy. I’ll be taking you on a tour. Before that, let me introduce myself. My name is Nayeon and I’m the Vice-president of the Student’s Council. Nice to meet you!” She said politely as she is offering Soojin a handshake.

Without a doubt Soojin take her hand as she return the smiles, “Nice to meet you too, Nayeon. I’m Soojin. And these are my friends.” She introduced the other girls.

Nayeon nodded with a smiles, “Yeah, I’ve read each one of your profiles. No worries.”

Soyeon who’s still feeling the pressure from the other alumni who staring at them speak up, “What’s wrong with these people by the way?”

Nayeon in confusion, “Hm? What do you mean?” Right before she turns around to look at them, they are all suddenly back to normal.

The other girls who are in disbelief at how all the alumni reacted when Nayeon turns her head to check are dumbfounded.

“What the hell…” Yuqi said.

Nayeon only laugh a little, “You guys probably just tired. I’ll take you guys on a quick tour so you guys can rest later. Come, let’s get to it.” She brightly smiles before turning around and start to lead the way as the girls follows her walking towards the entrance of the building.

 

[NARRATION – SOOJIN]

Before we could enter the building, Nayeon suddenly stops when 7 girls wearing almost the same outfit as hers, they are walking out of the door and greet Nayeon for a short while. I guess they are friends. But after that, someone caught my attention, the girl in the back who is wearing a suits, her hair is very short and blue, her skin seems so pale but her lips are quite cherry. And I couldn’t take my eyes of her, she didn’t even realized it until…

Their eyes finally met. The blue hair girl keep a straight face but her eyes doesn’t seems to move as she keep staring back at Soojin, sending a chill down Soojin’s spine. After few seconds, her gaze changed when Nayeon speak, “I’ll be joining the meeting later.”

Soojin and the others eventually make a way for them to walk out of the door and she almost brush shoulder with the blue hair girl. At that moment, Soojin felt the girl is taking a glance at her when she was walking pass by Soojin and the rest. Soyeon who noticed every single thing just watch them without saying anything.

Soojin slowly turns her head and watch the girl from behind and starts to wonder, “It can’t be…” She whispered in her mind.

 

TO BE CONTINUED…