Chapter 1: The Difference

Forgive Me

Sounds of shoes screeching echoed the whole stadium. The Karasuno was practising on receiving, serving and blocking by batches. All the batches were trained by respective third years; Sawamura, Azumane and Sugawara. Ukai arrived later on that day since he had a family ocassion. 

"Sawamura-san," Tanaka put his hand up, eyes shining like a toddler, "I like how well prepared you are each time we had a fight with other teams."

"It's not fighting, Tanaka. We compete," Sawamura chuckled at Tanaka's misinterpretation. "As a captain, I must be so in order to maintain a very good mental health of the whole team. We have been practising for hours, not to get wasted on losing."

"I hate to admit but Sawamura-san is really a good leader," the cold Tsukishima butted in, "I wonder who among us first years would be the captain soon."

" We haven't graduated yet but you have already thought of replacing me? Tsukki, how could you," Sawamura faked his tears, making the younger to perplex.

It was rare but everyone could see how gloomy Nishinoya was on that day. He still practised but he did not jump up and down, or tease either Tsukishima or Yamaguchi, or make high touch with Hinata and Tanaka, or being his usual hyperactivity. He would just remain quiet when he has done his part in receiving. Since he was a libero, he would focus on receiving and serving on practice.

And the one who paid the full attention on him was the one he looked up the most among third years, Azumane. Azumane was with Nishinoya, Yamaguchi, and Hinata. They were supposed to train on serving, but Nishinoya happened to be there, hence Azumane just included him along. Nishinoya did not say anything then.

"You can always rely on the senpai, you see," Azumane patted on Nishinoya's shoulder, thinking it would calm the uneasiness in him.

A long sigh escaped, "Azumane-san, I don't think none of the kouhai could be a libero. I mean, they are in even serving."

" Do you mean Hinata? He is always overjoy in petty stuffs, but he is reliable, see," while talking, both of them watched Yamaguchi teaching Hinata on how to serve better, "I like how determine he is in practice and games. I hope I was like him for the past two years."

"It sounds hurtful already," Nishinoya clenched his shirt and inhaled as deep as his small body could, "Azumane-san, you guys in thirs years are surely close."

Their gaze shifted from Yamaguchi pampering Hinata, to another third year pampering their kouhai. Sugawara was seen gesturing movements of a setter could be doing, and he managed only one first year who was Kageyama. Kageyama was the new setter of Karasuno, and he was the type to work hard that he always dragged his time to night when it come to practising for tournaments. Though he seemed snobbish, he was actually unabled to express his own thought that well. Having Sugawara as his temporary coach would be a nice idea since Sugawara had the opposite personality traits than him.

"Something is strange," Nishinoya furrowed while watching those setters chit chatting, probably on their own term, "Sugawara-san is not his usual side today."

"Everyone could say it was you who is having a different side," Azumane let out a very lame laugh,

Nishinoya did not know, but he noticed Sugawara's expression each time he turned away from Kageyama. He seemed troubled, and Nishinoya doubt Kageyama saw it. Sugawara might think he has done well on hiding his face, but he forgot there were others in the stadium.

"I wonder what it is."

The practice ended at 5 in the evening. They all separated to their own ways. Nevertheless, Nishinoya has secretly tailed Sugawara and Kageyama. He did not know the deal between them; he was fully acknowledged the way Sugawara and Kageyama's house were not in the same direction.

They went to a restaurant. They seemed to wait for someone else. Nishinoya could not bring himself entering the same restaurant, hence he chose to sit in another restaurant opposite to one Sugawara and Kageyama sat.

There was the person they has expected, Nishinoya thought. The setter of Aoba Johsai came in and, having it witnessed, sat with Sugawara and Kageyama. Nishinoya was fully aware that Kageyama was an old colleague of Oikawa. Though three of them were setters, Nishinoya could not figure out a reason on why even Sugawara met him. Plus, having Kageyama confronting Oikawa was already intimidating. Would Sugawara be the one who broke the argue between them?

After quite some time, Nishinoya saw Oikawa leaving. While gasping at how the setter of Aoba Johsai departing first, he then finished up his drink when he also saw Kageyama left the restaurant alone. It meant Sugawara would be alone for some time, so it would be easier for Nishinoya to tail him.

"Sugawara-san."

Even though the latter seemed startled, Sugawara put a very calming expression like how people knew all these while. He, like a mother of Karasuno, was puzzled at the presence of Nishinoya before him. He never thought the second year student would accost him.

"Nishinoya? What brought you here?"

Only then Nishinoya stuttered. He directly made his way to Sugawara since Oikawa and Kageyama already left him there. He did not think of the consequence he did so. He just moved based on his sole instinct.

"Err, I just want to say hi."

"Be frank, Nishinoya," Sugawara brushed it off with a chuckle, "I believe you have a very strong reason."

" Not that strong, to be honest," Nishinoya evaded the soft but firm gaze of Sugawara. The elder even folded his arms. "You see, I noticed you were dead serious back then. While Kageyama was not watching, I saw your troubled face. It wasn't only once. I could say you are having a problem, and you think of sealing it away, unknowingly you have made me paying attention on you just to double confirm."

" Seriously, Nishinoya, you are that keen?" Sugawara was almost to burst to laugh, "Being a third year is tiring, I must say. With the entrance exam, plus the homework, the high expectation from our teachers, and even problems with classmates since they could not provide me with what they suppose to do as assigned..."

" You are the one who should be frank, Sugawara-san."

" Isn't it obvious? I am sick."

He heard his eardrums ringing. The wind blew gently. His hair swayed, so did the latter's. "You... What?"

" Spinocerebellar ataxia is its name," Sugawara smiled at the younger. "I am gradually losing my senses, Nishinoya."