Jongdae chapter

Military Stories

Kim Jongdae was always a very patient and polite person. He was smart, plotting, diplomatic, and careful.

He also had a lot of talent and he knew it. He just didn't get in a hurry to bring attention to himself.

Jongdae wasn't arrogant, but he had plenty of reasons he could be if he wanted. He approached his life like a game of chess, being patient and only making moves after weighing all the pros and cons, being smart about his decisions.

When he did finally make his move and start showing his talent to the world, all the attention came rushing in and a lot of people took notice. Being with EXO as Chen allowed him to sing to his heart's content. The rehearsals for dancing, voice lessons, and full touring and appearance schedules over the first 5 years all took a toll on his personal life, but he knew that was the price he had to pay for the opportunity. The talented singer also knew who he could trust and he was always careful to talk things over with his fellow members. With all his smart thinking and planning, they made sure he was a key contributor when they negotiated before signing their follow-up contracts. 

Jongdae's career had given him a lot of challenges, but he tried to be patient and wait for the right opportunities so that he benefited from every move he made. The singer waited a long time to reveal he was happily in a relationship and that he would be getting married and becoming a father. And through all of this he made sure that no pictures of his bride and new daughter were seen by the public.

So it wasn't a surprise when Jongdae waited as long as possible to enlist for his military service. By now, everyone was used to the fact that he did everything in his own time. Not being selfish, just being smart about his decisions so bring the best benefit to everyone involved without making himself uncomfortable.

He entered the military with very little fanfare, almost unnoticed. A week after his enlistment he gave Sehun permission to release one picture of him with his hair cut short and smiling his sunshine smile at the camera. The youngest member put the caption "Maknae privileges" since he was the one allowed to take the picture to begin with. No one knew Sehun was also the one tasked with checking up on Jongdae's bride and lovely flower. All the members enjoyed seeing the pictures on their group chat that the youngest took of Jongdae's little family.  

During his service the talented singer participated in musical productions and entertainment for his fellow officers, but even that didn't start happening until after he had been enlisted for almost a full year. The second half of his enlistment became a whirlwind of entertainment for his fellow military personnel, and he sometimes felt like he was back to his beginning days of EXO with all the rehearsals and performances. His talent shone brightly even in the different performance situations.

As the date of his discharge came closer, the eyes of the world waited to see if the identity of Jongdae's wife and child would be revealed when he finally got out of the military. It was a known fact that family members often came to the location to be the first to greet their loved ones being discharged from their duties. Up until this point the singer had fiercely guarded his family's privacy, and everyone in his personal circle did everything they could to contribute to their safety and privacy. Many fans speculated the singer's wife and daughter would be there, but it remained to be seen whether they would make themselves known.

What Jongdae didn't know was that his true loyal fans had a plan. A specific letter from the singer's biggest fansite master was penned and sent privately to Sehun, suggesting a plan and asking for the possibility of cooperation. He took the letter to Suho and the two of them talked it over. Then they took the letter to Jongdae's parents house and asked for their opinion. Then finally, Sehun took the letter when he went to visit with Jongdae's wife and daughter. After explaining everything in detail and talking through all the possible consequences, a plan was finally approved. Suho once again took on his role of fearless leader and informed SM of the plan.

Three weeks after receiving it, Sehun got back in touch with the original writer of the letter. The plan was fully and carefully explained and agreed upon. The players were all put in place, and all measures possible of security were taken into consideration.

The day of the talented singer's release from his military duties, there were over 300 people in attendance standing behind barrier ropes. Towards the front of the crowd were about 15 women and several little girls, and they all had on soft green, blue, and brown clothing.

As soon as Jongdae gave his final salute, he turned to the crowd with a huge grin and waved. Suho stepped over to him, also waving to the crowd. Then the leader turned to the talented singer and gave Jongdae a big hug.

With that cue, the barrier in the area holding the women and children dropped to the ground. As security ran over to "fix" the problem, the women and their children came surging forward, all of the little girls calling "Papa! Papa!"  Jongdae looked shocked for a second then his sunshine smile got even wider and he began to laugh. He knelt down, hugging all the little girls, one by one. Meanwhile Suho made sure to greet every woman there with familiarity and happiness in his eyes, speaking with two and three women at a time.

The crowd, now held back properly by the secured rope barrier, seemed to catch on to what was happening. Although there were some murmurs of aggravation, for the most part the crowd was smiling and laughing about the whole thing. Once again, the singer had the upper hand. He got the public greeting with his family without having them actually exposed to the world.

The whole group of women and children followed Jongdae and Suho over to a tent that hid the group from view. Once all were inside, proper introductions were made to the select ones that had participated in the surprise. When the singer found out the women had all voluntarily signed non-disclosure agreements, he had tears in his eyes as he thanked them. After promising to send all the participants specially signed versions of his next album, Jongdae and his little family was shuttled into a waiting vehicle away from prying eyes and they left the area.

After that, all the rest of the women and children were guided into large vans and taken to the underground parking garage of SM entertainment where their personal vehicles were being kept. One by one, the vehicles left the building and the public was once again left to wonder about the identity of Kim Jongdae's beautiful family. 

A few years later, several of those little girls became close friends with one of their classmates at school. The girl's birthday was in April and she told them her Papa liked to call her "Flower".