chapter one: chuckles

universe.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yes, she is one of them."

He blinked. His eyes were the colour of the night sky; a deep dark blue. He allowed himself to stare at the small being lying in the wooden crib in front of him. Warmth spilled its way into his heart. Unable to resist temptation, he reached his gloved hand into the crib. He stretched his fingers out slightly above the infant's face, watching the tiny, chubby facial features disappearing completely beneath his large palm. He slowly pointed his index finger, gently booping the infant's nose. She giggled, her bare gums showing as her eyes curved upwards into tiny crescents. He smiled and pulled his hand out, dropping it at his side.

"Her eyes will resemble that of the sunset's sky, I bet." He slightly turned his head to look at the mother standing behind him. "Will she be a Hwang or a Kim?"

At the mention of the name, the mother smiled weakly. Her chest squeezed tightly, almost suffocating her. Her voice came out soft, almost forced. "A Hwang, definitely. Their smiles are the same."

She sighed, stepping beside the man. Her eyes were a soft copper brown, and they glanced over at the infant. She pouted her lips, lifting a finger to poke the chubby cheeks. The man laughed softly, capturing the first mother-daughter moment in his heart.

"Then, as godfather of your infant-"

"Who said you're the godfather?" The mother whipped her head to look at him before laughing softly. Sneaking glances at the man beside her, she snickered even more, unable to imagine the clumsy man capable of protecting her daughter.

His lips formed a small smile, not wanting to ruin her small period of delight. He looked down, staring at his black boots, deliberating whether or not he should ruin it. He in his lower lip, regretting his selfish impulse. He felt the small woman's gaze on him, waiting for an answer to what seemed like a joke to her.

"Her."

She stopped laughing immediately. She drew in a sharp breath. The bittersweet memories of her still lingered in her mind. She still thought of her. She bit her lips, suddenly feeling smaller than the infant that lay before her. Her mind was in chaos. The man noticed this - her reaction. Her had meant the whole world to the woman, and he knew. He was there, from the beginning. He was there when they were at their happiest, and when they were at their messiest. And now, he was here with her. Though her was not there with them, the man had promised to continue being a guardian and to always be with the woman.

His fingers found the woman's, interlocking them together. The woman visibly relaxed at this, regulating her breathing. Small circles were being rubbed on the back of her hand. This was his way of reassurance, and an apology. No words were spoken, but she heard him loud and clear. "I knew I shouldn't have said that - or mentioned her again. I'm sorry, don't talk about it if you're uncomfortable."

Moments passed, their fingers laced together as they stood there in silence. Surprisingly, she broke it first. "I-If she says so."

The man tilted his head slightly, trying to remember what she was answering.

His lips lifted at the corners. His heart jumping at the offer. He looked over at the woman, tightening his grip on her hand. "Thank you," His voice was low and soft, for fear of awakening the newborn. "I will swear on my life to protect her if they ever come for her. Trust me."

The mother lowered her eyes, seemingly gazing at her infant - when in actuality, her mind was far away, her thoughts jumbled. She appreciated the man's presence, the way he provided comfort to her lonely heart. Like he used to. But, he was not her. It just wasn't the same anymore. A sigh left her unknowingly.

"Penny for your thoughts?" The man removed his fingers from hers, bringing them up to her hair and tousling it. "You've been quiet."

She shook her head, not wanting to talk about it. The man nodded his head, respecting her space. He patted her head before resting his hands at his sides.

A comfortable silence enveloped the room as they both stared at the now sleeping infant. Both lost in their thoughts.

"Can I name her?" He spoke up, before glancing at the petite woman beside him. She nodded, her eyebrows quirking as she waited for the name.

He grinned and cooed as he watched the sleeping infant. He pressed his index finger and his thumb to his chin. He pursed his lips. "Hwang… Hwang…"

The name was there, clearly spelled out in his mind, yet he acted. He didn't want the woman to know that her had already given a name. She might disagree. He hated lying to her.

But, he had to fulfil her wishes.

"...Hwang Eunbi."

He bit his lips in anxiety, looking over to see the woman's eyebrows furrowing. He doubted his confidence now, halfway sure she would disagree.

"Eunbi?" The woman pursed her lips, her eyes scanning over the curled up infant. A small chuckle left her lips. She turned her head, her brown eyes meeting the dark blue. Her eyes curved upwards. "That's beautiful."

He laughed softly, relieved that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter