Kitchen

Torn in Threes

Sojung is quicker at hiding her hurt than her members approve of. She is in the kitchen making dinner the same night she had a panic attack and the air is strange. But they don't protest, so she assumes they expected at least dinner upon her return. Eunha is the member that is glued to Sojung's hip. Almost as if she's afraid Sowon will dissipate if Eunha where to look away or blink to long.

"I'm sorry kids" Sojung says as she serves the dinner. The table isn't made for all 6 of them so it's a little cramped but it's cosy nonetheless. Their eyes shift up from the plates of food to the face of their leader. Umji and Yerin's eyes the most intense as they await her continuation. "I'll do better" she says and it makes shoulders sink and brows furrow.

"I don't want you to do better, I want you to stop hurting" Yuju says. Sowon thinks of a response that won't hurt their precious hearts. Something that doesn't promise them her continued suffering. "I can't make all wishes come true" there it is again. That motherly tone. Sojung is the first to dig in, as the members join, the silence envelops them again. Sojung doesn't leave the kitchen after their meal. She busies herself by washing the dishes and cleaning up. despite her cleaning up well enough as she cooked the meal. The members remain seated by the table. Exchanging glances between themselves.

Yerin goes up to the eldest, peaking into the sink. It's empty and clean. Sojung's hands imitating holding a plate and a sponge and the motion of washing dishes. It sends shivers down her spine. What is she doing. "Oh Yennie, I'm almost done" Sowon says. She doesn't show any indication of noticing Yerin's discovery. Or so Yerin thinks until; "Don't tell the kids, I'll join you in a moment" Sowon whispers under her breath. Sowon didn't even turn around to face her. But she's the group leader for a reason. "I just need a moment to myself" she continues. Yerin understands and does what she can to make sure the members exit the kitchen and close the door behind themselves. Sowon breathes a sigh of relief.  Fresh tears flow down her face and her hands go up to muffle her cries. The same feelings but more intense are throbbing in her chest again. Maybe If I disappear they'll stop worrying. Maybe if I can end all my suffering they will stop suffering because of me. Umji slinks her arms around Sojung's waist and leans her head against her back. "Sojung, please" she pleads. Sowon's hands are pulling at her own hair again. no, what am I doing. "Yewon" Sojung sniffles, turning around in her hug, so she can cradle the younger in her arms. "I'm sorry for making you all worry" she says. Yewon shakes her head, tightening the hug. "Don't apologize, I-we love you. A lot, you know that right?" Yewon sounds so small, so hurt. Sojung hesitates. She knows for sure but, she doesn't feel it a lot of the time. "Sojung" Yewon pleads. "Yewon, I-I don't know" Sojung stutters back. Yewon tightens the hug, buries her face deeper into Sojung hair and cries. Sojung pulls Umji back from the hug, wipes Yewon's tears and gives her a forehead kiss. "It's going to be alright" she says and Yewon nods her head at that.

Sojung needs to be alright, for them.