Equator
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo wakes up the next morning with a delicious smell of breakfast filling her room. She can’t tell if it is coming from their kitchen or from one of the neighbors, but her empty stomach hopes for the first option. Still she allows herself to lay on the bed for a little longer, it is too early to get up. She lets her eyes look around the room for a while, thinking of how she has never expected herself to be the one occupying it.

 

After another round of thoughts that leads her to no conclusions, Ji Hyo pushes them away and takes a shower. When she is done, she leaves her room to go to the kitchen, but before dropping by Ah In and Ah Ra’s room to call them for breakfast. Looking at the opened doors, she finds both of the rooms empty and is already neatly cleaned.

 

Right, how can she forget?

 

Ji Hyo walks down the stairs and enters the kitchen to find both of her children and her former husband there. A woman is cooking something in front of the stove.

 

“Good morning, Eomma!” Ah Ra shouts with full of toasts.

 

“Morning, aegi-yah.” She replies with a smile before peeking at the food in front of her daughter. It’s ham and cheese toast.

 

This time, the woman turns around and smiles at Ji Hyo. “Selamat pagi, Bu Jiyo.”

 

Apparently it’s Santi, his almost fifty-year-old maid with a quite short but sturdy posture. Santi has been working for Jong Kook for the three years he has lived in Bali. She used to be the family’s maid, but when Ji Hyo and the children left, it’s only Jong Kook.

 

Jiyo. Ji Hyo lets out a small chuckle. After months of trying to get Santi to pronounce her name properly, Ji Hyo had given up. Her interaction with the older woman used to be a funny thing to watch, given that Santi couldn’t speak Korean and Ji Hyo’s Indonesian never seemed to improve much. It sometimes even earned Ji Hyo a few laughs. But she still remembers enough to understand her greetings and returns it. They even have a very brief conversation about how things have been, of course, most of them are using hand gestures.

 

When Ji Hyo sits down, she notices there is a lot of food on the table. From Korean side dishes to Indonesian breakfast food that she used to sometimes eat. But there are still food and fruits that she doesn’t recognize.

 

“I let Wulandari and Galuh go after you left, but I can try and find another nanny for the next few days if you want. Bu Santi is just coming in the morning now.” Jong Kook tells her all of a sudden.

 

Ji Hyo quickly turns her head towards the voice and shakes her head. “Aniya, I don’t think it’s going to be necessary. Thank you.”

 

“What time are we leaving?” Ah In exclaims. He’s excited about the sightseeing they’re going to do.

 

Jong Kook shrugs. “Well, I was waiting for your Eomma so we can set that up. What do you want to do today?”

 

“Don’t you have to go to work?” Ji Hyo cuts in.

 

“Not today. It’s Sunday.”

 

“Oh, right.” The days have been so hard to get through she even forgets what day it is. “What do you want to do, Ah In-ah?”

 

Ah In thinks for a second before looking at his father. “What do you think, Appa?”

 

Jong Kook chuckles. “Didn’t you say you wanted to go see the monkeys?”

 

“Right!” Ah In points at Jong Kook, before hitting his forehead gently.

 

Again, Jong Kook laughs. “I think it’s a good way to start the Bali tour. But that’s something we should do in the afternoon because there’s a beautiful restaurant up there to see the sunset. Let’s do something else during the day.”

 

Ji Hyo remembers the first time she went to that restaurant with Jong Kook.

 

The hands that were on each other, the stolen kisses, the tender looks…

 

“Temple?” Ah In suggests another destination.

 

“We can do that. They call temples as pura here and there are a lot of beautiful pura. Which one do you want to go?”

 

Ah In furrows his brows. “I’m not sure. Isn’t there a pura that’s on the sea, Appa?”

 

“Tanah Lot.” Jong Kook nods. “Should we go there?”

 

Ah In nods excitedly. He has never been to a pura.

 

Ji Hyo looks at him and smiles, which he replies to. “I think it’s a great idea, Ah In-ah.” She gives a comment. “Ah Ra-yah?”

 

Ah Ra is eating one of those fruits she doesn’t recognize. is full and the little girl can’t speak. She settles with giving them thumbs up with both of her hands. Jong Kook looks at her adoringly.

 

 

They are walking across a huge grassland to reach the temple. The view is beautiful as gentle waves and breezy air surround them. There are times Ah In and Ah Ra make each other company and leave their parents to talk. Ji Hyo tells him about her new job as a hairstylist for celebrities and how the pay is good enough to rent a medium apartment in the middle of Mapo District. It amuses him how she moved to the same district as Ha Ha and Byul’s apartment and yet rarely visits them.

 

“Are there any celebrities who are dating each other?”

 

Ji Hyo glances his way with a smirk. “Never thought that a Kim Jong Kook could be such a gossiper.”

 

“Yeah well, I just want to know the ‘tea’.” He air quotes the last word, making Ji Hyo laugh.

 

“Then what? You’re going to tell Bu Santi?”

 

“Maybe.” Jong Kook returns her smirk.

 

Things are getting so much easier and lighter and comfortable and natural and… Ji Hyo is doing a pretty good job putting those thoughts aside. She just isn’t sure now if that is a good idea. But the way their interaction is flowing makes her forget about it. It is in fact worth it, they always had, no, have so much fun together.

 

They have lunch in a famous local restaurant that serves babi guling near the temple. The restaurant is quite dark and not so large, but full of customers. Then he takes them to eat gelato since the sun is high and the weather is hot.

 

Everywhere Ji Hyo looks, she can spot tourists. Sometimes she is under the impression that there are more tourists than Indonesians in Bali. Of course, that is given to the fact she is only around the tourist spots, but still…

 

In the late afternoon, they finally arrive in Monkey Forest. It takes a little bit more than an hour for them to reach there. Different from before, this area is in the middle of the island and full of trees and all sorts of things of greenery. She visited the area only once in the past because she lived her life near the beach more.

 

Ah In already starts running towards the entrance and Ah Ra just holds Ji Hyo’s hand tighter.

 

“Gwaenchana, Ah Ra-yah. The monkeys are nice. It’s safe.” Jong Kook encourages Ah Ra to walk around by herself, but she doesn’t care, she just puts seals her face on her mother’s body.

 

“I don’t want to be here.” Ah Ra mumbles.

 

“We’re only going to be here for a while, okay?” Ji Hyo her hair. “Look at Oppa patting the monkey over there.” She points at her son who’s under a tree with some monkeys in front of him. He’s feeding them with help from the local guide.

 

Ah Ra only shakes her head. She doesn’t want to turn her head to see the monkeys.

 

“Don’t you want to feed the monkeys too? They like bananas.” Ji Hyo continues to persuade her.

 

“Aniya, Eomma!” Her voice sounds slightly irritated and scared.

 

This time, Jong Kook kneels beside her. “Do you want Appa to pick you up?”

 

Ji Hyo looks down at the duo. Bad idea. When Ah Ra puts her foot down, she is pouty, unbend, and very harsh. She will definitely turn him down and he will get upset over this.

 

But to her surprise, Ah Ra turns around and circles her arms on his neck. He quickly picks her up.

 

She stands there with open, unable to speak, almost unable to breathe. Such a small gesture can touch her so much.

 

Ji Hyo actually thought that if she took Jong Kook from Ah Ra, she wouldn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter