Equator
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ah In is having breakfast with his father when Ji Hyo enters the room with Ah Ra in her arms. The little girl doesn’t look much healthier, but Jong Kook suspects that it’s most likely because of the feeling of having her mother taking care of her like that. She probably isn’t sick that much, but Ji Hyo is babying her so much she ought to be taking some advantage off of the situation.

 

Jong Kook smiles to himself. With a nurse like that, he can’t say he wouldn’t do the same.

 

“Good morning.” Jong Kook greets with a brighter smile when her still so sweet eyes point directly at him.

 

Ji Hyo replies to the smile. “Good morning.” Then she goes to kiss the top of Ah In’s head and puts Ah Ra on a chair.

 

“Morning, Eomma.” Ah In replies with a mouth full of toast.

 

“Yummy?” Ji Hyo asks when she sees how fast her son’s eating his breakfast.

 

Ah In only replies with an exciting nod and puts his thumb up.

 

Ah Ra takes a glance at her brother and pouts. She puts both of her arms on the table and sighs.

 

“Are you feeling better, aegi-yah?” Jong Kook Ah Ra’s hair.

 

Ah Ra shakes her head and rubs her eyes.

 

Ji Hyo gives him a sad smile. “I think we’re going to have to stay home again today.”

 

“No, I want to go out!” Ah In protests, even with his mouth still full of toast. “Appa promised…”

 

“Oh no, adeul-ah, I meant your dongsaeng and me,” Ji Hyo quickly corrects her statement. “You’re going to go with Appa to his office, right?”

 

This time, Ah In shows his excitement once again. “Right!” He quickly squeezes the last bite of his toast into his mouth and hops off of his chair. “Let’s go, Appa.” He manages to say the words while crumbs flow out of his mouth, much like his words.

 

Ji Hyo shoots him a look. “Kim Ah In.”

 

Jong Kook smiles, always loves hearing his last name on their children’s names.

 

“Mianhaeyo, Eomma.” Ah In pouts and yet he repeats the mistake, having not yet swallowed the toast. Realizing that, he leaves the kitchen before he can hear more of his Eomma’s nagging.

 

Jong Kook finally stands up when their son is already out of the room and looks at Ji Hyo. “We should be home for lunch.”

 

“Andwae.”

 

Jong Kook looks at her confused.

 

Noticing the wrong choice of her word, she quickly corrects. “I mean, take him out to the zoo or something. He’s bored only staying here.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, he wants to make the best of this trip. He misses doing something like this. Come back later and we’ll do something, all of us. I’m sure Ah Ra will be better by then, she’s just being a baby.”

 

“Eomma…” Ah Ra whines being called a baby by her mother.

 

Ji Hyo chuckles and kisses Ah Ra’s crown. “But you’re Eomma’s baby.”

 

Ah Ra reaches for Ji Hyo’s hand and Ji Hyo picks her up and puts her on her lap. She simply rests her head on her mother’s chest and closes her eyes. Ji Hyo her hair and kisses it.

 

“See? This baby only wants a little bit of this, huh?” Ji Hyo jokes when she sees her daughter’s pouting again, she chuckles.

 

Jong Kook smiles watching the view. Without a warning, he leans closer and also kisses Ah Ra’s crown. Ji Hyo raises her eyes to look at him, wanting to say something, but it’s stuck in .

 

“I’ll see you later, okay?” Jong Kook waves his hand to the little girl, which only gets replied with a nod.

 

Ji Hyo can only watch him leave.

 

 

It’s only almost five when Jong Kook and Ah In reached home again, after spending the afternoon together, they went to the market to buy a couple of products so he can cook Indonesian food for dinner. That’s the idea. He hopes his family likes it.

 

Now it’s already past six, which is time for their dinner and yet Jong Kook is still busy in the kitchen, mixing this, cutting that. He asks Ji Hyo to just watch the children and lets him cook by himself because he wants to surprise them.

 

His family is in the living room, in front of the TV. He can still watch them from the kitchen. Just a little bit more and the dinner is done.

 

“Where’s this piece? There’s one piece missing, Eomma.” Ah In informs, standing up to look for the missing piece. He looks around the floor for the last piece of the 48-pieces puzzle he’s putting together. Looking over to Ah Ra’s side, he can see her trying to fit a much smaller piece into her own 12-pieces set.

 

Ah Ra doesn’t realize her mistake, still keeps trying to put it together on her board, while humming to a children song lightly.

 

“Ah Ra-yah, that’s mine.” Ah In points at the piece in her hand.

 

Ah Ra shakes her head, unbothered.

 

“That’s mine, give it back!” Ah In approaches Ah Ra, but Ah Ra turns her body to block her brother out.

 

“Aniya, this is mine. I want this one.” The little girl keeps trying to fit it anywhere she can.

 

“It’s not going to fit, it’s not yours!” Ah In starts losing his patience. He then finds the big piece that actually belongs to his dongsaeng. “Here, look! This one is yours!” He shows the big light brown piece that fits into her puzzle.

 

“Aniya, it’s ugly. I want this one in mine!”

 

“But it’s mine!”

 

They both start yelling at each other, making Ji Hyo’s head pounds a little. She wants to help to clear the situation, but she also wants her children to solve problems on their own. She’ll help when one of them needs it, which is not until five seconds later.

 

“Eomma!” Ah In calls out. “She’s being annoying!”

 

“Ah In-ah, don’t call out your dongsaeng like that.” Ji Hyo shakes her head. “Ah Ra-yah, come on, give it to your brother, it’s his.” She gently asks for the piece.

 

Ah Ra shakes her head, on the verge of crying. “But it’s got a butterfly, Eomma. I want the butterfly, not the ugly brown piece.”

 

“It doesn’t work like that!” Ah In yells again. “You have to finish your puzzle to see the complete picture!”

 

“But mine doesn’t have any butterfly!” Ah Ra replies with another yell.

 

Jong Kook glances at his family, wondering if he should help or not.

 

“It’s your fault that you chose a puzzle without any butterfly!” Ah In reminds her that they were the ones who chose their own puzzles a few days ago when they went to a shopping mall.

 

Ah Ra throws away the small piece and lets out angry tears.

 

“Yah, Ah Ra-yah. You shouldn’t throw away things even when you’re angry.” Ji Hyo scolds her daughter. No matter how angry she is, she shouldn’t be rough and impolite like that. “We can buy more puzzles tomorrow, okay? You can choose the one with butterflies in it.”

 

Ah Ra wipes away her tears with her chubby hands and nods.

 

“Now, let’s go to the kitchen. I’m sure Appa’s done cooking.” Ji Hyo reaches out her hand.

 

“Aniya…”

 

“I know you’re hungry.” Ji Hyo coaxes her. Her daughter is usually cranky when she’s tired or hungry.

 

“I’m not!”

 

Ah Ra immediately gives Ah In his piece back, as if making a point. Ji Hyo and Jong Kook give out a small chuckle.

 

“Gomawo!” Ah In states, finally placing the last piece. “Kkeut!”

 

“Wow, it’s so pretty!” Ji Hyo exclaims, proud of her six-year-old son since he’s able to finish the 48-piece puzzle by himself. “I’m proud of you, aegi-yah.”

 

“Let me see!” Jong Kook chimes in from the kitchen.

 

Ah In proudly lifts his puzzle up and grins widely.

 

“Amazing!” Jong Kook gives two thumbs up. “Just in time for our dinner!”

 

“But I’m not done yet.” Again, Ah Ra lets out a dramatic sigh. Ah In rolls his eyes before putting his puzzle on the coffee table and walks towards the dining table.

 

Ji Hyo smiles of how dramatic her daughter is and how annoyed her son is when his little sister’s being dramatic. “Here, put this brown piece one there.” She gives the light brown piece that Ah Ra declined before. “This piece will complete your puzzle.”

 

“Ne.” Ah Ra takes the piece and puts it on the center. “My bunny puzzle is done!” She runs towards her father and shows it directly to him.

 

Jong Kook smiles widely. Their daughter runs towards him can be counted with fingers, it’s a rare thing to happen. He her hair lovingly. “Your puzzle is beautiful! Go put it on the table beside Oppa’s and let’s have dinner.”

 

Ah Ra nods excitedly and does what she’s told.

 

Finally, they’re eating their dinner. Jong Kook made ayam bumbu bali, which is a chicken dish with chili cause, and kangkung cah tomat, which is vegetable kangkong with tomatoes. He also bought sate lilit, a Balinese satay dish for Ah Ra since she can’t eat spicy yet. Not forgetting kimchi and rolled omelet as the side dishes.

 

“Is it good, Ah In-ah?” Jong Kook watches his son take a big bite nervously. “I’ve eaten that dish a lot here but never made any. This is my first time.”

 

Ah In hums and nods his head. “It’s spicy, Appa, which is my favorite.”

 

“You should try the veggie too.” Jong Kook scoops some out and puts it on his plate. “And here, have some kimchi.”

 

“The food here is good, Appa. I like all of them.” Ah In adds a comment.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter