Equator
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Looking at her surrounding, she feels the familiarity that’s hurting her. The city which was Ji Hyo’s home for a whole year is such a strange contrast between familiar and unknown. She realizes she never really took the time to allow herself to get to know it, to come to love it. She couldn’t. She wasn’t supposed to. She would be betraying so many ideals and plans. The life as she knows it.

 

Common sense.

 

It is like recognizing something from a dream. Like a Deja Vu. Something that she remembers so vividly, and yet at the same time so distorted.

 

She is completely oblivious to the conversation Jong Kook and Ah In are having. It seems as if Ah In is pointing out the names of the places, while Ji Hyo recalls memories of them. The hotel where they lived for a few months before they bought their house, the beach where she used to exercise every morning, the place where she used to take the kids in the afternoon for ice creams, the restaurant her former husband took her once. Just wondering, wandering…

 

Not until twenty minutes later, they are already driving down Seminyak Beach, the beach that is near to where they lived, where Jong Kook lives. Ji Hyo remembers it was her who insisted on buying that particular house in Kerobokan because the neighborhood was quiet and yet full of luxurious villas and houses.

 

Since Ji Hyo didn’t even get the time to look for a job there, or honestly, she never intended to, she spent most of her time in that neighborhood. Ah In’s kindergarten was somewhere in there and it was full of small local shops for her to shop around. What else could she ask for in that one year?

 

Then something pops into her head. “How’s Gita?” She asks without realizing she has just cut Jong Kook’s sentence.

 

Nevertheless, he still smiles. “She’s fine. I actually ran into her the other day and I told her you were coming. She’s going to give me a call to ask you out, just the two of you. That’s if you feel like it.”

 

“That’d be nice.” Ji Hyo agrees, looking back straight ahead.

 

“Who’s Gita?” Ah In questions.

 

“She was my- our Indonesian teacher. Don’t you remember?” Ji Hyo turns her body to face her son. When she sees the little boy shakes his head, she continues, “Gita or you should call her Bu Gita since she’s only one year younger than me, used to come over every day and spend some time with us, to teach us the language and help us with every day things like shopping and all.”

 

But more than that, the woman who used to go to college at Kyung Hee University was the only person Ji Hyo talked to those days. And she got paid for it.

 

Ji Hyo sighs and looks out of the window again. Yes, being back is surely painful. So many memories she wishes she can keep locked somewhere behind her mind, so many things she wishes she would forget, demons she wishes she doesn’t have to face once again. The garage door opens as does a little window in her brain, releasing things she has prayed will not be coming out again.

 

She is so wrong.

 

 

Jong Kook pushes the door open and walks in with the suitcases on both of his hands. Ah In is trying to help with pushing the smaller suitcase with Ah Ra following behind him. Ji Hyo takes her time, letting her eyes carefully run over every inch of the living room before stepping inside, after her children. She had solely decorated the entire house but refused to take anything when she left. She looks at the paintings on some walls and remembers they never got to use them before, some of the paintings used to be kept in the storage. The house used to be filled with different family portraits but now they’re changed with local paintings.

 

“Do you want me to put them down?”

 

Ji Hyo gets startled by the sudden voice. “What?”

 

“The paintings. Do you want me to put them down and store them in the storage?” Jong Kook repeats.

 

She realizes that he notices when she’s looking at them. “Aniya, gwaenchana. They’re beautiful.”

 

Jong Kook nods his head and turns his attention to something else.

 

The next thing she notices is how he has put safety lock on some of the cabinets in the kitchen even though their children don’t live there anymore. Or has he recently put them back up? Either way, she can feel how thoughtful he is.

 

She slowly crosses the room to the backyard and Ah Ra follows her. The backyard has always been beautiful with various sounds of nature. She takes a deep breath of the salty air, before looking down at Ah Ra.

 

“Do you like it, aegi-yah?” Ji Hyo asks with a smile on her face.

 

Ah Ra looks up with her sharp eyes. “Pretty.”

 

Ji Hyo nods and gives a small chuckle. “Yeah. This was your first home.”

 

“I like it.” Ah Ra approves.

 

“Do you want to see your first bedroom?” Ji Hyo offers.

 

Ah Ra simply nods and takes Ji Hyo’s hand, assuring herself that her mother will be by her side. Watching from a good distance, Jong Kook seizes the opportunity.

 

“Are you going upstairs?” Jong Kook asks as soon as they turn their bodies.

 

Ji Hyo nods. “She wants to see her room.”

 

Jong Kook uses this moment to call Ah In too, who’s checking all the rooms downstairs.

 

“Whose room over there?” Ah In points at one corner while they’re walking upstairs as a family.

 

Ji Hyo turns her head towards the direction and smiles sadly. It used to be their room.

 

When Jong Kook sees that Ji Hyo is not going to answer, he chimes in. “It’s my room.”

 

They reach Ah In’s room first since his room is closer to the stairs. “It’s my room? It’s so big! Bigger than the one in Seoul.” He runs excitedly inside and starts checking the toys on the shelf. “Can I play first here?”

 

“Don’t you want to check Ah Ra’s room?” Ji Hyo suggests.

 

“Where’s Ah Ra’s room?” Ah In runs quickly to the doorway. Jong Kook points at the door in front of his. “Okay, I know where it is, so I don’t have to go there.” He shrugs, running back into the shelf.

 

His parents just shake their heads at his antics. Jong Kook has also bought a lot of new toys for Ah In, even though some of them are the toys he used to play with when he was younger. They then go to the room across their son’s. When Jong Kook opens the door to Ah Ra’s bedroom, Ji Hyo has to swallow her gasp. It’s totally different from what she remembers, it looks more like a toddler room than a baby room.

 

“I had to run a few changes around here though. There are new toys and other things that are more appropriate for your age.” Jong Kook whispers to Ah Ra and is glad to see her eyes brightening up. “Do you like it?”

 

“Yes!” Ah Ra squeals. She runs in and spins around once, letting her eyes see everything she has.

 

It takes Ji Hyo by surprise to see how much money he spends, it even annoys her. Jong Kook, on the other hand, has a huge grin across his face. He hasn’t heard her squeal like that in years. His hard work hasn’t been in vain.

 

“Go play. I’ll go to Ah In’s room to accompany him.” Jong Kook nudges lightly at Ji Hyo, before leaving her to go to their son’s room.

 

Ji Hyo walks in and keeps looking around Ah Ra’s room. There is too much to see. The toys, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter