Equator
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo trips slightly on her way back to her room and giggles as silently as she can. She knows it’s not just a few cans of beer she had that are making her so lightheaded. It might be the realization and open acceptance that just come because of the alcohol. She looks at her children who are still sleeping like the sweet little angels they are and smile even more.

 

The late evening with Jong Kook was just… there are so many adjectives she can think of to describe it. It was so natural, soft, familiar, and most of all, reassuring. It showed her that she was wrong. Behind the posh car and beneath the new suits, the same old Jong Kook is still there. They talked about the past, way back into the past, and it felt refreshing.

 

Their relationship however wasn’t a topic that was discussed.

 

Not the time for that.

 

It feels good to be around him, to reminisce about the so many great moments they lived together, even when they were not a couple. The beauty of their relationship that lies in the fact that it was not based on mere passion. There was so much more than that.

 

They used to be just such good friends.

 

She is glad they are taking that step back. Back to the caring and sweet affection they used to share. That maybe can lead them to… another step, a much, much bigger one.

 

She quickly puts her hair into a high bun and throws herself onto her bed, between her children, and dreams herself to sleep.

 

 

Jong Kook is sitting on his bed and looks down at his feet. The room is quiet since his children are asleep in her room and that makes him think more.

 

How is that going to help? How is that evening ever going to help him move on?

 

He won’t let himself believe that it was a good sign. He mentally kicks himself for letting her enchant him like that for once again. He knows he can’t let his guard down. He can’t allow himself to be hopeful and go after her again.

 

It happened so many times towards the end of their marriage. One day, she would be angry. And it happened the next day. And the next day, she was a wreck like most of the days. Then, one magical day, she would wake up with a broad smile upon her face. She would hold him and tell him how sorry she was, and that she loved him, that she was just going through a hard phase. She would tell him not to worry because they were going to be okay.

 

Then, the next moment, she was a mess again.

 

Until one day, it was goodbye forever finally.

 

That double behavior of hers can’t fool him again. He knows that. But why still did he let it happen?

 

He sighs.

 

It is stronger than him. One smile from her makes him tremble inside. He can’t help it anymore.

 

Well, start trying harder now. She’s leaving in a week.

 

And that will hurt him even deeper. He’s not sure if he can take it one more time.

 

Without even bothering to change, Jong Kook lies down on his bed and cries himself to sleep.

 

 

Ji Hyo is slower than usual, taking some time to get both Ah In and Ah Ra set to go out for breakfast the next morning. However, the headache that keeps her from being quicker is not frowned upon. It is simply a little gift from the night before, which she doesn’t regret. In fact, she can’t wait to see him again, to look into his eyes and actually smile, thanks to the three cans of beers that heal most of her feelings.

 

Maybe it was not exactly the beers, but…

 

Her smile is still fresh when they reach a café nearby that serves a breakfast buffet and spots Jong Kook that is saving them a table. Ah In runs up to him and Ah Ra also quickens up her pace, following her brother.

 

“Good morning, Appa! I slept well.” Ah In, as always, greets him first. He runs to hug him.

 

Jong Kook happily receives the hug. “Good morning, adeul-ah.”

 

They break the hug before Jong Kook turns his sight to the back of his son. Ji Hyo watches as Jong Kook’s eyes shine brightly when he spots Ah Ra is waiting for her turn to hug him.

 

“Good morning, Appa.” Ah Ra grins.

 

Jong Kook hugs her tightly and kisses the top of her head. “Good morning, aegi-yah.”

 

Ji Hyo approaches the three of them and for once wishes he would also hug her and kiss her like that. Maybe not exactly like that.

 

So, she settles with giving him a shy smile. “Good morning.”

 

“Morning.” He smiles back.

 

It is not a smile that she has expected. She is surprised to see a plainly polite smile. She stands behind the back of a chair and looks down for a moment. Did something go wrong?

 

“Okay, kids, let’s go get some food.” Ji Hyo helps her children to go to the serving tables.

 

Standing there behind her children who are getting some food, Ji Hyo looks back at Jong Kook and frowns. He is looking down at his plate eating quietly. What happened to that bright smile from last night? Their loose ways and welcoming eyes? No, she won’t let their memory fade like that. It meant a lot to her, she needs to know if it meant just as much to him.

 

When they are back to the table, Ji Hyo grabs her cup of coffee and smiles at Jong Kook.

 

“Oh, I really need this. My head is still spinning from last night.” Ji Hyo breathes out. Purposefully using the word ‘from last night’ to trigger his memory.

 

Ah In looks up confused instead. “What happened last night?”

 

“Nothing, Ah In-ah.” Jong Kook answers and that answer breaks Ji Hyo’s heart. “Do you like that?” He points to something in his son’s plate. He seems eager to change the subject.

 

Ah In puts it into his mouth – a green sticky dessert with grated coconut on top and liquid palm sugar as its filling, before he nods his head. “What’s this, Appa?”

 

“It’s called klepon.”

 

“Klepon.” Ah In tries to pronounce the word although he says it weirdly, making Ah Ra giggles.

 

“Here, try this. This one is a famous one.” Jong Kook gives Ah In a bite. “This one is called pie susu.”

 

Ah In munches with a smile. “It’s good, Appa.”

 

“Do you also want some, Ah Ra-yah?”

 

Ah Ra nods her head with a smile. “Delicious, Appa.”

 

Ji Hyo simply watches them. As an outsider, an intruder. She lowers her sight and starts eating her food. Clearly, last night didn’t mean that much to him.

 

 

In the late morning, they start their Saturday by going to Lake Batur and have a picnic there. Thankfully the path isn’t difficult since the four of them seem to be so tired after spending one day there. The atmosphere remains quiet and uncomfortable between them. Ji Hyo mainly just watches as Jong Kook bonds with their children. It gives her time to think about how different his life must be when they are not there. No one to go home to, no one to take out, to bring food and tell stories with.

 

No, that must be what the girlfriends are for.

 

She feels herself even lower.

 

Still, she knows how much he loves those kids. Knowing she possibly can’t take life without them, she can’t begin to imagine how he must feel.

 

She sits down on a rock and watches as Jong Kook picks Ah Ra up and brushes the tip of her toes over the surface of the water. The toddler squeals and brings her tiny little legs closer to her body, out of the water.

 

“It’s cold, Appa!”

 

Ji Hyo sighs. She has never seen her little girl this happy before.

 

At night, after a brief stop at the guesthouse to get their jackets, they are having dinner in one of the restaurants Gita recommended. The suggestion, however, is his. But it’s not what Ji Hyo expects, the whole time he is only talking to the children, barely paying attention to the fact that she’s also there.

 

When they are deciding on the desserts, an attractive woman approaches their table. Ji Hyo looks at Jong Kook and notices his smile.

 

“Hanna?” Jong Kook calls.

 

The woman gives a wider smile. “Oppa!”

 

Jong Kook quickly stands up and they hug. Ji Hyo shifts herself on her seat, feeling uncomfortable. She looks at her children and sees both of them are staring at this Hanna woman. She is tall, beautiful, at least 10 years younger than her, with long wavy brown hair, milky clear skin, and big eyes. Good sense of fashion too, maybe could use a little more fabric on her chest area though.

 

“You don’t have to call me Hanna, Oppa.” She chuckles. “How are you? It’s been a while.” The woman asks in Indonesian. Ji Hyo notices she has this odd accent. She surely isn’t a local.

 

“Alright, Ha Eun-ah.” Jong Kook replies in Korean now. “I’m good, just good. Lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter