a flower & flower & flower & flower & flower

spring may come
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The weather looks great today. The sun is bright in the blue skies. People appreciate the beautiful day with colourful clothes; light blues, soft pinks, even lavender. Pastel colours, matching the season. Positive vibes fill the crispy morning.

 

Minho decides to be on his best behaviour. Perhaps, he upset Seungyoon somehow. That's why Seungyoon didn't allow him anywhere near his daughter's vicinity. So, okay, this calls for strawberries, then.

 

Seungyoon's favourite, Minho recalls. He remembers how Seungyoon squealed like a little kid when he bought a box of them. Remembers the way the strawberry spilt juice across those thick lips. The way the kiss tasted, sweet and sour from the little fruit.

 

Minho tries to ignore the little pang in his heart.

 

"Hey, good to go?" Jinwoo-hyung breezes through the studio door. He scrolls down the iPad, checking the schedule. "After the meeting with Kang Seungyoon, you have an appointment with a client at 6 PM. I'll brief on the particular later. Have you taken your pills today?"

 

"Yep." Minho finishes tying up the red ribbon. Meticulously. Smiles to himself, satisfied by its look. Neat and cute. He wonders if Hana loves strawberries too.

 

"Who's that for?" Jinwoo slaps the iPad shut.

 

Minho hums, "Seungyoon."

 

A beat of pause. Then a sigh, "You haven't really moved on, have you?"

 

Minho's fingers stop, poised over the ribbon. Then he rubs his nose, sniffling. A habit he developed after Seungyoon's departure. Looks away as Jinwoo's scrutiny feels too judging. 

 

"How..." Minho starts, "How to move on when he never explains why he left? Was it my fault? Was it because of something else? I need, at the very least, an explanation."

 

"Then, ask."

 

Straight-forward, as always. A bitter laugh escapes him. Minho looks down at his fingers. Coated in colourful streaks. "I wish I had the courage."

 

Jinwoo falls silent. Minho knows he's being a coward. Being judged. No balls even though he's an Alpha. He knows because the Alpha inside him is afraid too. Scared. In pain.

 

"I was devastated before." A smile stretches across Minho's lips while he checks the ribbon knot. Painful one. It hides a scab that keeps getting peeled every time he faces Seungyoon. At every possibility that he hurt Seungyoon somehow. "I don't think I can face another heartbreak."

 

No more replies from Jinwoo. Minho takes it as Jinwoo's understanding the pain coming with it. The pain of the silent rejection from the mate who clearly means the world to Minho.


 

...


 

Seungyoon's office on the top floor, facing the east where it has the city overview. Busy streets. Thronged with pedestrians. In the building, they have to go through his secretary, a beta named Somin. A sweet girl. Fluent in English as Minho overheard her conversation on the phone before she sent them in.

 

Upon entering the office, Minho sees Seungyoon in the boss chair behind the large desk. The sunlight streaming in from behind makes Seungyoon all glowing. Like an angel. The soft coloured cardigan looks good on him. It compliments his pale skin.

 

Minho's Alpha goes soft.

 

"Good morning," Seungyoon greets them, with a smile. He gestures at the chairs across the table. "Please take a seat. Tea or coffee?"

 

"Coffee if it's okay," Jinwoo answers. "Before that, Minho has something for you."

 

At Seungyoon's surprised brow, Minho turns into a shade of pink. He nervously fishes the strawberry box out of his duffel bag. Presents it on the table as if it's an offering to a god.

 

"A token of apology."

 

Seungyoon's throat bobs. He accepts the gift, pinkish fingers trembling visibly. He takes a deep breath, eyes glittering. Seungyoon looks up at him. "Why," he says at last.

 

"Last time, Hana, your daughter," Minho swallows, "You panicked when I took her away. It wasn't my intention to do that. I just wanted to show her my paintings since she seems to like drawing. Really."

 

Silence. 

 

Then Seungyoon looks away, biting his lip. "No, that—" A sigh leaves Seungyoon, eyes down. He pulls a small smile after a moment. "The apology is accepted. Thank you for the strawberries. I'll have them as snacks for tea."

 

"I hope Hana will love them too." A thought hits Minho. He looks around. "Where's Hana? I don't see her around."

 

"She won't be coming today." Seungyoon coolly places the box aside, getting ready for the meeting. He tells his secretary to get coffees over the phone. Then he passes a document to Jinwoo. "Details for Kintex."

 

"Why." Minho tries not to sound hopeful, fiddling with fingers on his lap. He really does. But still fails miserably.

 

"School."

 

"Oh." Okay, that makes sense. A brilliant girl like Hana would be busy with school. To make friends. To study.

 

And yet, against his will, Minho's body deflates. Dejected. Even the Alpha inside him is disappointed. Sad not being able to see the beautiful girl around.


 

...


 

The meeting runs smoothly. Seungyoon retains his professional demeanour all the time. No distraction. Not even the howl Minho's Alpha let out could shake Seungyoon. From the way Seungyoon's eyes snapped at him, Minho figured he'd felt it, but chose to ignore it.

 

Ouch.

 

Jinwoo is the first one showing the sign of exhaustion; tired eyes blinking rapidly in his effort to chase the tiredness away. Seungyoon notices this and suggests, "Let's take a 10-minute break. In the meantime, I'll have my secretary listing down the details we've gone through so far."

 

"Thank you. I need it." Jinwoo releases a sigh of relief, pinching the bridge of his nose. He gets to his feet. "Is there any smoking area available nearby?"

Please log in to read the full chapter