CH. 4

49th Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4

 

33.

 

Today is Seulgi’s day off because Irene said she will visit her parents in Daegu, bringing Seo-Woo with her. So she decided to visit Joy and spend her time with the younger. She has been too busy with Seo-Woo and Irene lately. She felt bad for spending so little time with her best friend. 

 

“So how’s everything so far?” Joy asked as the two sit comfortably on the couch. 

 

“Good I guess. Seo-Woo seems to like me a lot.” Seulgi can’t help but smile at the thought. Seo-Woo, her daughter. Her source of happiness. Her everything.

 

“And Irene, she is no longer cold to me. Well, actually she never really does. It’s just... Her cold persona is always like her self defense. The first barrier she built to keep herself away from people. But she doesn’t put that wall up with me. She lowered her guard and let me in, which I’m really glad that she did. I don’t know, but I feel like we’re like good friends now.” 

 

“Okay. That’s good to hear. How about your job?” Joy asked again.

 

“It was good. I mean taking care of Seo-Woo, feeding her, dressing her up, walking her to school and walking her home, reading books for her until she falls asleep. It feels like I've finally really done my job as a mother. And while doing that, I can look after Irene too. Finally, I can repay her kindness. You know, I realized that it’s a great joy to give. And that you end up feeling sorry if you are the one to always receive. She has done so much for my Seo-Woo and Gang Hwa.”

 

“That’s good too, unnie. But how about your REAL job?? How long will you play as Seo-Woo’s caretaker?? Time is ticking, unnie!” Joy can’t suppress her frustration anymore.

 

She is happy to know Seulgi is happy. That she’s enjoying her time with her loved ones. She can see how happy Seulgi is lately. But Seulgi seems to forget her real mission here. And that is what worries Joy the most.

 

She won’t let Seulgi fail her mission. She can’t send her unnie away for the second time, knowing her unnie will wander in this world alone by herself forever with no end. That’s just too cruel. Too heartbreaking. 

 

It’s no longer about life and death matter anymore. It’s beyond that. Because turns out death is not really the end. Joy swears to herself that she will make sure her unnie will go up there in peace. She will get reincarnated.

 

That way Joy can live too, with no regret.

 

“Ah... About that. I’m sorry but I haven't done much on that. I.. don’t know where to start. I mean how can I suddenly find a man and bring him to Irene, hoping Irene would like him and marry him? The more I think the more absurd the idea is. Maybe after all the deities just want to punish me. This mission is bound to fail from the start.” Seulgi tiredly rubs her face.

 

“Aniya unnie, aniya. You should not be that pessimistic. This mission is possible to carry on. I’m here, and I will help you, okay? We can do this.” Joy tried to cheer her unnie up.

 

“Yeah, thank you. I feel more reassured to know that you’re here with me.” Seulgi said with a tight smile. 

 

“You know I will always be with you, unnie. Even later after you’re no longer here, know that I will always keep you in my heart forever, ‘till I die and join you there. But for now, let’s work hard to send you up there well.” Joy seriously said. Seulgi can’t help but tear up.

 

“Gaah, stop making me cry, you brat.” Seulgi playfully pushed Joy away. Joy just laughed seeing Seulgi in tears. 

 

Joy clapped her hands.

 

“Okay okay. Now let’s get into the business... You know, unnie, using dating apps is such a trend now. I actually met Wendy there.” Joy said with a cheeky grin.

 

“REALLY?”

 

“Yeah. It’s easy and less hassle. I mean your time is very limited. Where we can suddenly find some men to have a blind date with Irene? Oh God, I’m such a genius!” Joy said as she pats her own shoulders proudly. 

 

“You and your overflowing self-love..” Seulgi sighed. “C’mon, let’s start. Show me the apps. Chop! Chop!” Seulgi impatiently urged.

 

“Psh. Fine... So, here’s the app.”

 

“Tea Meet Peanuts? ARE YOU NUTS?! What the hell?” Seulgi fights the urge to throw the phone to Joy’s beautiful face.

 

“Sshh. Calm down, unnie. I know it sounds a bit weird but it’s really a good dating app. And safe too! I mean there’s another popular app called Finder. That one is very popular too but lots of ert ahjussi are there. So let’s try this one instead. Just ignore the weird name for now.”

 

Seulgi tried to regain her composure. “Okay, let’s try it first. Now what?”

 

“We have to create our profile.”

 

“Like on Facebook?”

 

“Yeah yeah, similar to that.”

 

“Okay, I'm starting to get a hold of this app I guess.”

 

The two start to create Irene’s profile. Filling in some information like Irene’s name, her age, her place of birth, her preference, her hobbies. And finally, the final touch to complete the profile...

 

“Unnie, do you have Irene’s photo?” Joy asked Seulgi.

 

“OH. Don’t worry. I have it on my phone.” 

 

“Let me see. We should choose a few best shots to be uploaded here.” Joy urged Seulgi to show the photo that she has.

 

“Uh... Unnie, why do you have a special folder dedicated to Irene on your phone? And you have like almost a hundred shots of her already???!” Joy can’t help but raise her voice out of surprise.

 

“A-aah... Let’s just say, I always appreciate beautiful things.” Seulgi awkwardly scratched her nape while avoiding Joy’s piercing eyes. 

 

Joy just looks at Seulgi judgingly. “At this rate, you can pass as Irene’s fans or even stalker.”

 

“Yah, let’s stop talking about this and quickly finish our work.” Seulgi tried to change the topic.

 

Joy shook her head disapprovingly at her unnie for one last time before she averted her attention to Irene’s photos, trying to pick several photos there.

 

Done with the picture.

 

The two look at their ‘masterpiece’ with a proud smile.

 

Irene’s profile that they made is perfect. At least that’s what they thought. 

 

Irene’s status:

 

“Well, here I am now. What are your other two wishes? ;)”

 

The two high-fived each other. Feeling content with their work.

 

“Now, we should start the real hunting.” Joy said, rubbing her hands together with a smile that she thought is y, but actually, it looks creepy. Really. Even Seulgi can’t help but shiver in disgust.

 

“Okay, how about this guy?” Joy begins with the screening.

 

“Uh, he’s 19. Don’t you think he’s too young for Irene?” Seulgi raised her eyebrow at Joy. This friend of hers can be quite insane sometimes. 

 

“But he looks cuuuuteeee~” Joy fanning over him like a fangirl.

 

“Then you can date him. But it’s a no for Irene. Next!”

 

“Okay okay. No need to be that cranky, grandma. Here’s the second candidate... Wow, he looks rich! Look at that Gucci bag he has! Those sports cars! He surely can fulfill Irene and Seo-Woo’s needs! Irene can quit working, and focus to take care of Seo-Woo at home.” Joy excitedly said. 

 

“Uh.. he’s 65! I want to find a husband for Irene. Not a sugar daddy! NEXT!!”

 

“Huh... It’s hard to please you. Fine, third candidate... How about this handsome muscular man? Aww, those abs... Rawr!”

 

“He looks gay... And I know he’s gay. So next!”

 

The two continue to scroll through those men’s profiles, Joy’s fingers start to aching to keep on scrolling down endlessly.

 

“Unnie... We have rejected more than twenty men! WHY NONE OF THEM IS ACCEPTABLE FOR YOU? WHY YOU KEEP FINDING A FLAW IN EACH AND EVERY CANDIDATE? ARE YOU DO IT ON PURPOSE?” Joy desperately asked. 

 

“I should not settle for any less for Irene. She deserves the best. And the best she will get. I just want to make sure of that.” Seulgi seriously said with strong determination in her eyes.

 

“Haish fine. Then let’s switch. You scroll the screen. My pretty fingers need their rest too.”

 

After looking for another 30 minutes, they finally found 3 men for Irene. Thankfully.

 

Im Jeongnam 

Status:

“People said I resemble a penguin. Can you believe that? Let’s meet in person to prove that ;D. *ps: I’m not a bad guy. You can trust me on that.*”

        2. Lee Tae Oh 

Status:

“When a woman is loved correctly, she becomes ten times the woman she was before. And I'm here to make sure of that if you let me.”

 

3. Kim Jae Hyuk / Jacky Kim.

Status:

“I’m a dog person. Love to travel all over the world in my white t-shirt and jeans. Because simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

 

Date 1:


 

Im Jeongnam 

Status:

“People said I resemble a pe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter