CH. 3

49th Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 3

 

42.

 

Today is Sunday. A day off for Seulgi. But Irene has to take some documents from her office that need to be submitted on Monday morning. So Irene has no choice but to leave Seo-Woo with Gang Hwa’s parents for an hour or two. 

 

Irene was so in a rush, that she forgot to bring her umbrella despite already being warned by the weather forecasting news this morning that she watched on TV.

 

She just wants to reach her office quickly. Get down to the business and fetch Seo-Woo back from her in law’s house because she doesn’t want to bother them too much. They’re already so old, and they are still mourning for losing their son. And Irene is afraid that bringing Seo-Woo there would only make them feel sadder because it will remind them of Gang-Hwa. 

 

Done with her papers, Irene packed her stuff and was ready to leave her office building. Since her in law’s house is not that far from her office, she decided to just walk there. But suddenly rain is pouring down. 

 

Irene yelped in surprise when the raindrops hit her.

 

The rain gets heavier now and Irene is in a dilemma. Should she continue running in the rain like this, or make a stop and wait until it stops. 

 

In the end, Irene decided to continue, because she’s already wet anyway. 

 

Irene keeps on speeding up her pace, not running anymore because she’s afraid she might slip and fall since the rain is heavier now. It’s harder to see what’s in front of her with these raindrops keep hitting her face mercilessly. 

 

But suddenly she feels someone holding her arm, slightly pulling her back. And shortly after that, she doesn’t feel any droplets on her anymore.

 

There’s no way for the rain to suddenly stop like that. And who is the ert that dares to touch her? 

 

Irene put up her scariest face, ready to fight that person.

 

She looks at her right, wanting to yell at the person. But all she sees is a pair of familiar-warm monolid eyes, looking back at her surprised ones. Worries can be seen in those eyes.

 

All anger has vanished. All worries are washed away.

 

“Seulbi?” Irene called out to the person.

 

“Hi, Irene-ssi. I saw you running without an umbrella. Sorry if I startled you, but I’m just afraid you’ll fall sick.”

 

“T-thank you.”

 

“Nah, no biggie. I was around and saw you. I have this big umbrella all for myself. So why not share it right?” Seulgi smiled. Irene can’t help herself from smiling back, warmly.

 

It’s like when she’s with Seulgi, she forgot how to be cold. Maybe because Seulgi’s warmth is rubbing on her. 

 

“Where are you heading to?”

 

“Xxx residence. Seo-Woo is there with her grandparents because I got an errand to do in the office today.”

 

“Oh okay. I’ll walk you there.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

The two walked side by side wordlessly after that. Only the sounds of the raindrops that hit the umbrella above their heads that can be heard.

 

But then Irene realized something. She sees how Seulgi’s right shoulder is all wet because Seulgi holds her umbrella more toward Irene, leaving a smaller space for herself.

 

“Seulbi-ssi, stop playing a hero, will you?” Irene pretends to be mad at the younger. When actually she feels touched for what Seulgi did for her.

 

“Huh?”

 

Irene wordlessly pulled Seulgi in so the younger stands closer to her. And then she holds Seulgi’s hand that’s holding the umbrella, tilting it so now it covers both of them equally. 

 

“A-Ah... Guess I just get caught.” Seulgi sheepishly grinned. Irene playfully glared at her. Seulgi dared herself to glare back and the two burst out laughing.

 

The two continued to walk. Their arms are pressed against each other now with no space in between. But none of them feels even slightly uncomfortable with it. 

 

They enjoy this silence. And they also enjoy each other’s company.

 

Sensing Irene’s good mood, Seulgi dared herself to ask a question that she has been keeping to herself for a while now. Waiting for the right time to bring it up to Irene.

 

Guess now is the right time.

 

“Irene-ssi, sorry for being too nosy. But a few days ago, I heard how some kids’ moms at school talk about you. They were bad talking about you. And I know you know about it too. Won’t you say something to them? Or at least explain yourself so they will stop gossiping about you?” Seulgi looked pissed and Irene wondered why. It’s not like she was the one that was being bad-mouthed. 

 

“I don’t care. They can do whatever they want, and say whatever they want.” Irene flatly said. 

 

“You lied. I know you care. I know it hurts you too.”

 

“Why did you talk like you know me? Maybe what they said is true. Maybe all those rumours about me are true. That I'm a bad person. I’m just Seo-Woo’s stepmother. Not her real mother.” Irene remained stoic. 

 

“So what? Stepmother is a mother too. And you’re a good person, Irene-ssi. I know that.”

 

“How so? You just knew me for a few days.”

 

“I just can tell.” Seulgi smiled as she looked right into Irene’s eyes. Irene can see the sincerity in Seulgi’s eyes. Her sincerity inevitably touched Irene’s heart yet again. 

 

“You’re a peculiar person, you know that? But I can't debate you. Because you did seem to know me better than myself sometimes.”

 

“People tend to not know themselves well because they were too busy looking at others.” 

 

35.

 

It’s a Sunday, Seo-woo’s daycare has a family day activity. As usual, Sundays are supposedly Seulbi’s day off so Irene took care of Seo-woo. She dressed Seo-Woo in a cute dress and tied a ribbon on her hair.

 

The family day signifies support and being complete, however, due to recent circumstances and Gang Hwa’s death, Irene couldn’t help but feel alone.

 

‘Can i raise Seo-Woo alone?’ she asked herself while looking at Seo-Woo’s reflection on the mirror.

 

“Eomma, gwaenchanayo?” Seo-Woo was looking worriedly at her mom, Irene smiled and nodded her head, “Are you ready to go?” she asked.

 

“Yes!” 

 

“Okay, we’re going out now. Hold my hand and don’t let go okay?” Irene told the kid.

 

Seo-Woo gave her a thumbs up and held her mommy’s hand.

 

“Is the pretty auntie going with us?” 

 

Irene shook her head, “No, it’s her rest day today.”

 

On their way to the daycare, they saw Seulbi sitting at the bench near Seo-Woo’s school. Seo-Woo immediately let go of Irene's hand and ran towards Seulbi.

 

“Pretty auntie!” Seo-Woo gave Seulbi a big hug. Irene looked at the two and thought ‘They look alike.’ And it’s not the first time she has that thought in mind. Then she realized Seo-Woo let go of her hand just to hug her caretaker.

 

‘Seo-Woo must like Seulbi a lot.’

 

“Seo-Woo!” Seulbi hugged Seo-Woo as if they have not seen each other for a long time. Those gestures always make Irene wonder, just how important is Seo-Woo for Seulbi? Does she like kids a lot or is it just Seo-Woo? But she will never dare to ask those things.

 

Maybe if Seo-Woo’s biological mom is still alive, she would look like Seulbi.

 

“Pretty Auntie, will you come with us for the family day?” Seo-Woo asked.

 

Irene pulled Seo-Woo closer and looked apologetically at Seulbi, “Seo-Woo, it’s Seulbi’s day off today.” she explained.

 

Seo-Woo looks so sad as if she’s about to cry then Seulbi said, “It’s okay, I’ll go with you.” 

 

“You don’t have to…”

 

“I insist. I'm free anyway.” Seulbi pats Seo-Woo’s head and notices her ribbon, “You look pretty today little Seo-Woo, did eomma tie your hair?” she asked.

 

“Yes, I like it a lot!” 

 

The Seo-Woo smiled in satisfaction and Irene smiled to show her gratitude to Seulbi, “Then, shall we all go together?” 

 

“Sure!”

 

Back to Seulgi’s perspective,

 

She was waiting for Irene and Seo-Woo to come around the daycare today. Given a chance, she wouldn’t like to use her day off because her time on Earth is limited but she doesn’t want Irene to feel suspicious about her. Joy told her about this school family event. Frankly, she’s already feeling hopeless about her mission. Irene is a social recluse, how could she match her with other people if Irene is always at home with Seo-Woo? She remembered one night when she told Joy all her woes at her small pub.

 

“This isn’t working...I’m going to hell,” Seulgi said as she had another shot of her gin and tonic. She rubbed her hair in frustration and groaned.

 

Joy smacked her head and said, “You once left the Earth full of regrets and sadness, the least you can do now is leave with no regrets and carry happiness in your heart.”

 

“I’m feeling anxious.”

 

“Just calm down, and do your best to be a great mom for Seo-Woo!” Joy told her.

 

Today, at Seo-Woo’s family day, she will do her best to take care of Seo-Woo and right now she’s going to start with the plastic of red beans and holy water on her hands to kick some ghost out of Seo-Woo’s way. 

 

There were times when she would pick up Seo-Woo and Teacher Son would tell her that Seo-Woo and other kids at the daycare would cry for no reason sometimes.

 

And she knows who’s the culprit…

 

“I’m sorry, pal but no one scares my Seo-Woo,” Seulgi told herself as she sensed the entity insi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter