CH. 2

49th Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter 2

 

47.

 

On the first day Seulgi works in Irene’s house, she feels ecstatic, excitement all over her face, because she can hold her daughter now. For the first time in her life, Seulgi can finally hold her daughter. And her daughter can see her. Hear her. Feel her.

 

She would spend hours playing with Seo-Woo, preparing for her things that she would bring to school the next day and then help Irene to prepare for their foods. 

 

And only when Seo-Woo would take her afternoon nap, Seulgi was able to pay more attention to the house as she cleaned up the already clean house. Just like what Irene said, there are not so many things that could be cleaned up in there, but Seulgi still tried her best to do her job.

 

Irene is still working, even on the weekend like today, in her room. She only came out earlier to check on Seo-Woo, and also when she has to prepare for their lunch.

 

Only after seeing Seo-Woo sleeping soundly on the sofa in the living room, Irene walked back inside her room to continue her work.

 

She’s a quiet person. Not that Seulgi just knows that now. 

 

Even when she cries, she’s quiet too.

 

Seulgi still remembers how Irene quietly cried in her room after hearing the mothers of the other kids in Seo-Woo’s school, bad talking about her. Accusing her of being an evil stepmother who doesn’t care about Seo-Woo’s wellbeing. She married Seo-Woo's father because of money.

 

They didn’t know anything about Irene, yet had the guts to speak so loudly like that. 

 

Those moms just hate Irene because Irene never really paid attention to any of them, when they thought they were the center of attention. Let alone befriending them. In the beginning, they kept tirelessly asking Irene to join their useless meetings that usually consist of gossiping and nonsensical chats. And so, of course, Irene never wanted to join them and kept on refusing their invitation. They hate how Irene looks so snobbish and arrogant too. When again, that’s just Irene’s cold exterior. Her shell. But Seulgi is glad that Irene chose to not talk with any of them. Those ahjummas are up to no good.

 

If there’s someone who can talk about Irene, who knows Irene best, it’s no other than Seulgi, honestly speaking.

 

Not even her husband, Jo Gang Hwa. Because he’s even barely at home. He usually would either be in the hospital or flying somewhere. That jerk remarried because he needed someone to look after his daughter when he couldn’t. To take care of the house because he didn’t have the time.

 

Seulgi doesn’t want to blame her husband too much on this. Because Seulgi knows how Gang Hwa never really moved on. How he held Seulgi so dearly in his heart. To Gang Hwa, Seulgi was his first love. The love of his life, and his ‘The One that Got Away’. And so he can never love someone else. He never really loved Irene in the first place. And Seulgi can only sympathize with Irene more and more. For her not so happy life. Yet she always did her best to make her little Seo-Woo happy. As if she’s her own flesh. Irene deserves to be happy too.

 

“Don’t worry, Irene. I’m here now. I will take care of you, and try my best to repay all of your kindness to my family. And I will not stop until I can find the best someone for you. I promised.”

 

*knock knock*

 

Seulgi softly knocked on Irene’s bedroom door.

 

Soon the door clicked open and Irene appeared from behind it with her slightly dishevelled hair, looking so tired.

 

“Irene-ssi, before I leave, do you still need anything else?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Ah, it’s already this late. I didn’t realize the time. No, thank you. You can leave, Seulbi-ssi. Take care.” Irene bowed her head slightly to Seulgi. 

 

“Okay, see you tomorrow.” Seulgi bowed back.

 

Honesty Seulgi wanted to say a few more things to Irene. Like how tired she looks. She has to stop overworking herself because Seulgi is afraid it’s about the time before she’ll collapse because of fatigue. Seulgi wants to bring the latter a cup of water, and prepare a simple snack for her to energize her. But in the end, Seulgi did nothing. She knows if she did that, she might raise Irene’s curiosity or even suspicion toward her. She couldn’t risk that. No matter how much she wanted to. 

 

---

 

 

The next day, Seulgi comes to Irene’s house again for work.

 

She held Seo-Woo’s bag in her left hand, while her right hand was securely holding Seo-Woo’s little hand. Seulgi couldn’t help but feel so happy even for simple things, like sending Seo-Woo to school. 

 

“Ready to go, Seo-Woo-yah?” Seulgi smiled at the kid. Seo-Woo replied with a nod.

 

Seulgi then looked around to find Irene. Wanting to tell her that they’ll be leaving. But before Seulgi can knock on Irene’s door, Irene comes out from her room looking all pretty with her simple blue jeans and white t-shirt and a long black coat as an outer because it’s almost winter now. The temperature is getting lower each day. Irene didn’t put up too much make up on her already goddess-like face. She just applied some light makeup and looked gorgeous as always. 

 

“You’re going out too, Irene-ssi?” Seulgi can’t resist the urge to ask the older woman. She just hopes Irene won’t think she’s being too nosy.

 

“Yeah. I will send Seo-Woo to school too with you. And then after that, we need to do some shopping.” Irene said.

 

“Shopping?” Seulgi asked.

 

Irene suddenly leaned forward toward Seulgi, leaning very very close, until Seulgi could feel Irene’s soft breaths hitting her cheek. Seulgi doesn’t know why but she feels weird to have Irene being this close with her. 

 

“Tomorrow is Seo-Woo’s birthday. I’m planning to throw a small celebration for her.” Irene whispered in Seulgi’s ear.

 

She did that because she wants to keep the birthday celebration as a secret from Seo-Woo. Hoping the kid will like the surprise.

 

“A-ah... I-I see.” Seulgi stuttered. She can feel her face start to feel warm. Maybe because Irene’s breaths were ticklish against her skin earlier. Seulgi just hopes Irene won’t realize how abnormally red her cheeks right now.

 

Well lucky for her. Irene is seems too busy putting a scarf around Seo-Woo’s neck to care about the other things. 

 

 

(At Seo-Woo’s school)

 

“Oh, it’s Seo-Woo. Good morning!” Wendy greeted the kid by crouching down to her eyes level and softly caressing Seo-Woo’s hair. Before she stands back up again to greet Irene and Seulgi.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Seo-Woo eomma.” She greeted the woman on Seo-Woo’s left, Irene with a bow. “And…” Wendy seems hesitant to address the other woman on Seo-Woo’s right. Because this is the first time she ever saw her.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. This is Seulbi.” Irene said as she looked at Seulgi and then back to Wendy. “She’s Seo-Woo's new caretaker. From now on she will come here often to accompany Seo-Woo to school and pick her up after school.” Irene explained.

 

“Oh, I see. Hi, Seulbi-ssi. Nice to meet you.” Wendy offered her a bright smile.

 

“Nice to meet you too, Ms Son.” Seulgi smiled back. 

 

Both Wendy and Irene suddenly turned their head to look at Seulgi at the same time, surprising Seulgi. 

 

“Uhh? Something wrong?” She suddenly feels self-conscious. How could she not with these two women suddenly look at her so intensely like now?

 

“Ah, No. I’m just surprised because you know my name even before I introduce myself to you.” Wendy said. 

 

Seulgi only internally facepalms herself.

 

One of her nicknames is pabo bear. Guess she really lives up to that name. 

 

“O-oh. I—I heard from Seo-Woo this morning. She mentioned that her favourite teacher is Ms Son. Sorry, I was just guessing just now. Assuming you are that Ms.Son she mentioned. But it seems I made a correct guess? Hehe~” Seulgi awkwardly smiled. 

 

“Ah, I see. Yeah, you’re right. I’m that Ms Son. Wendy Son.” Wendy said still with a warm smile on her face. 

 

Soon the two women bid their goodbyes to Seo-Woo and Wendy and leave the school for their second agenda. 

 

Since the mall that Irene wants to visit is not so far from Seo-Woo’s school, Irene decided to just walk there. And maybe ride a taxi to head home later since they will have a lot of stuff to bring in their hands. 

 

Maybe it’s because Irene is sleep deprived lately. She keeps on yawning and Seulgi who stands beside her realizes that. 

 

Irene keeps yawning and keeps rubbing her eyes. As if trying to stay awake and fight her drowsiness. 

 

“Irene-ssi, I'm sorry but could we stop at that Family Mart for a while? I have something to buy.” Seulgi said to Irene as she pointed at somewhere.

 

“Oh sure. Let’s go there.” Irene nodded. 

 

They have to walk across the road now and the traffic light has already changed to red for the pedestrian. But it seems Irene is too sleepy to realize that. So when everyone else including Seulgi halted, she kept on marching forward. 

 

Seulgi at first didn’t realize that because she was busy looking at some cute puppies beside her. But when she looked up to her front and saw Irene, she wasted no time to run after the older woman as fast as she could.

 

“IRENE!” Seulgi shouted in panic, surprising everyone around her including Irene who made a sudden stop on her track because of Seulgi’s scream.

 

But before Irene can really grasp the situation, Irene feels someone grab her arm, and pull her back with force. Her body collided with someone else. Irene can’t help but let out a surprised gasp. 

 

“S-Seulbi?” Irene blinked her eyes rapidly. When she opened her eyes, she found herself inside Seulgi’s protective embrace. The taller girl is back hugging her. 

 

“What are you doing just now?!” Seulgi released Irene from her hold and unconsciously raised her voice at her out of worry. She can still feel her adrenaline rush. Her heart pumps so hard.

 

“I-I..” Irene finally realized about the situation she’s in right now after seeing some cars passing in front of her at full speed. She can’t imagine what will happen to her if Seulgi is just a few seconds late in pulling her back.

 

“T-thank you, Seulbi-ssi.” Irene sincerely said her thanks. “And I’m sorry. Guess I wasn’t on my right mind today.” 

 

“Yes, you are. You look tired, Irene-ssi.” Seulgi sighed.

 

“Here.” Seulgi stretched out her arm to Irene. 

 

“Huh?” Irene was confused.

 

“Hold my arm. At least until we cross the road.” Seulgi sternly requested. 

 

Irene didn’t know what’s gotten into her. Maybe she’s indeed not in her right mind today. Because instead of disobeying or at least questioning Seulgi, she found herself stretching out her hand as well, tentatively holding on to Seulgi’s arm. But that’s enough for Seulgi. 

 

Seulgi then led the way to cross the road after the traffic lamp changed to green, with Irene who’s silently following her.

 

Once they safely crossed the road,

 

“We’re safe!” Seulgi grinned.

 

“The way you grin..” Irene begins. 

 

“Huh?”

 

“Just now, I see Seo-Woo in you.” Irene said expressionlessly. 

 

Seulgi quickly wiped away the smile on her face. 

 

“Uh... Irene-ssi, sorry but could you please let go of my arm for a while? I need to buy something. But you can hold my arm again after I come back.” Seulgi tried to distract Irene. 

 

“A-ah. Sorry.” Irene slightly blushed after realizing how her hand was still holding onto Seulgi’s arm even after they crossed the road. 

 

“It’s fine,” Seulgi reassured her. “I’ll be right back,” Seulgi told Irene before she dashed toward the convenient store. 

 

Less than in 10 minutes Seulgi already runs back to Irene who’s waiting for her outside the store.

 

“Tada! For you.” Seulgi passed a canned instant coffee to Irene’s hand. 

 

Irene looked at the drink she just received from Seulgi and yet again, can’t hide her surprise. 

 

This new helper keeps surprising her. Not in a bad way. But still...

 

“How do you know?” Irene confusedly asked.

 

“Huh? Know what?” Seulgi pretended to be clueless. Of course, she knows. She has been watching over Irene in the past 5

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter