001

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was just another day at school. Everyone got to class the same, people started chatting, others started fooling around and I, was just at my usual seat by the window. 

It was a beautiful morning, the sunrise was especially pretty today when I woke up to a hue of pretty purple and pink swirls. It was a pretty sight to wake up to, and because of the beautiful skies, my mood was in a specially good place. 

Not that I'm fussy or moody when the sky changes; but I'd always love it better when the skies were clear.

Everyone was going about doing their things and right at 8am, our homeroom teacher strolled into the class, using her long ruler to tap lightly on the tables that lined the front of the class to get everyone back to their seats. 

I turned my attention to see her settling a brown bi-folder on the table right in front of her, then opening it while giving it a thoughtful read.

"Good Morning Ms Lee", We said in unison after our class monitor queued us to do so.

"Good Morning Class", she lifted her head and smiled warmly.

"We are... Expecting someone new today! So I hope all of you will be nice people and welcome him.", she spoke while taking glances at us and back at her folder.

A commotion quickly started as soon as she said so, as the class started getting a little excited about the news. 

I too, had my eyebrows raised upon hearing this, who would it be enrolling a month into the semester?

"Hmmm" she quirked her eyebrow. "Not sure if I'm reading it right but, Chi-tta-phon Lee-chai-ya--kul?" her voice got softer towards the end, and she turned her head towards the door.

The boy standing outside of the opened door, who wasn't in our sight at first, slowly appeared in the light footsteps. He kept his head slightly down as he walked right next to our teacher before looking up at her and bowing before he turned to the class to bow too.

"Yes..." he said, as he flashes a blinding smile to the class. 

The commotion in our class got louder when the boy looked up and swept the class with his eyes slowly. 

Woah. That is one bright boy. I thought to myself as my lips unknowingly quirked up too. 

"You can call me, Ten!" He added in a clear voice as he kept his hands together in front of him. 

"Ten?" Ms Lee looked over at him and she smiled warmly back at him. He nodded and she pat his shoulders, while she continued, "Ten is from Thailand, so he might have a little trouble getting used to our language. In any case, I hope all of you would help him. Is that clear?" 

"Yes!" the class responded, many voices sounding a little too excited.

I scoffed when the bunch of girls beside me started giggling a little too loud about how good looking this boy is.

I turned my head back to the books on my table as I flipped open to the last page we left off previously, knowing that the introduction of the new student is ending and we would proceed with the class as usual.

"Hmm, where should I put you..." Ms Lee mumbled, as she scan across the classroom looking for empty seats, while students hurry back to their seats to show which were empty.

Because it was only the first few weeks of the first semester for all of us, there were plenty of empty seats.

"How about the one beside the window!" Ten voiced up suddenly as he pointed in the direction of the space he wanted.

My eyes widen and I looked up only to see him pointing in my direction. I choked and started coughing while blinking unbelievably fast at him. 

"Oh that's great actually! I wanted to pair u guys up because she's good at English too, so maybe she can help u get used to our language better!" Ms Lee smile widely at me while nodding her head. "Right?" She called my name after asking me.

I gapped at her blankly while glancing at how satisfied Ten looked at her and when he turned his gaze back on me, I choked again. 

I must be sick.

Ms Lee laughed at my response and pat Ten on his back, "Alright then, I shall entrust you to her! Let's start with our class then!"

There were awful disappointments and coes but I was too busy trying to get myself to stop coughing when Ten approached and end up standing in front of me. 

He flashes his smile at me again and added," I really hope you don't mind" he ended with a slightly shy expression and a small quirk to his closed lips.

"Oh, it's fine!" I quickly added while pulling the items I sprawled across our tables back to mine, while my cheeks heated up. I kept my eyes and hands busy tidying while others around me swoon at him. 

Ten was beaming again and he quickly settled in, taking off his backpack and pulled out his books and stationary together with a little black notebook. 

I tried my hardest to turn back to where the teacher left off while she started talking about the topic for today's class, but I can't help but notice how Ten chewed on his lips and kept flipping the book while peaking at mine. 

"It's on page 32, 2nd paragraph" I told him while i looked over at him and Ten turned to look at me with the most polite smile. 

Ten is SO handsome. He had huge eyes, and tall thin nose, a slim face and really straight teeth. His lips were thin pillows but they are shaped proportionately, sitting nicely under his perfect cupid bow. His hair was longer at the back, but he had a perfectly styled bangs in front which accentuates his big beautiful dark brown eyes which turned into perfect crescents while he smile. His smile is healing, and I am melting. 

"Thank you" he whispered to me, and I don't know if it's only me having these feelings, but I am literally dying on the inside, trying to calm my pounding heart. 

I too, don't know if I kept my face expressionless enough to not give it away, but heck. I can't look at him for longer than 3 seconds or I'd know I'll die swooning over him too. 

How am I supposed to be helping with person?! I screamed internally while admitting he's too gorgeous for someone in the third year of elementary school. Who looks this good in elementary school? 

As I spend the time in class beating myself over my innermost thoughts, Ten really concentrated as hard as he could. He would write down whatever's on the white board and then scribble English beside certain words with question marks beside them.

He would occasionally squint and then his meme faces would appear as he features contorted to confusion as the lessons go on. During those times, I'd snap out of my reverie and refer the English translations to those things he translated wrongly. And every time I did so, he would politely thank me. 

I would've died a thousand times over if I wasn't drowning in my own self consciousness so as not to look like a fan girl. But I'd could really get used to this view.

As the day went on, I got used to the stares and peaks people take in my direction because well, I wasn't the one everyone wants to look at, so it didn't bother me much. Soon, it was lunch time.

 

The bell rang loudly and everyone jumped out of their seats in celebration of the recess period. But then most of the students in class started hovering around our desks and they were throwing Ten a bunch of questions. 

"How old are you?" "What's your favorite colour?" "Is your hair even real?" "Do you want to have lunch with us?" "How about I give you my sandwich?" "Let's hang out together!" 

I nearly suffocated trying to even get out of my seat when the whole class became a barricade around our table, but at the same time, intrigued that this guy easily attracted EVERYONE to him, even boys!

Amidst the chaos and unusual fan girls (and boys), Ten remained extremely polite, answering to as many question as he could. While I try to get myself out of the suffocation, my ears picked up on something Ten said that made me pause in my step. 

"Its okay, I'd like to eat with my table-mate"

My eyes widen at the reference to me, and I turned around while I pointed to myself, "Me?"

Ten nodded as a satisfied smile greeted his features. 

Feeling even more confused, I questioned again, "But, why me?"

Ten shrugged and continue, "Well, just cause." and everyone around us started sighing and separating, going back to their places or out of the classroom for lunch knowing that the new kid had already made up his mind.

I stayed rooted at my spot and gapping at him like a fish out of water. Ten then reached into his bag for his wallet, before tilting his head towards the exit of the room, "Shall we?", He smiled again before grabbing my wrist and pulling me out of the class, hearing many gasps and murmurs behind us as he leave the classroom.

He let go of my hand once we're outside, and allowed me to lead him to the cafeteria. On our way, it was already a norm that more gasps were heard, more heads were turning in our direction and friends were being pulled aside as we walk past them so that they would just stop and stare at the new kid walking past them. 

I sigh outwardly, not knowing how will all this extra attention become, while I just kept walking as fast as I could. Ten continues to beam at everyone who noticed him, killing everyone with that healing smile and brightness of his presence, and I knew that because there were almost screams and people choking, squeals even.

Once I reached the cafeteria, I headed straight to the corner of the room, knowing my friends would be there waiting for me too.

And as everything that happened today, more commotion began as the new kid strolled into the crowded area, following me to our "abandoned" seats at the corner of the cafeteria. He stopped in front of my bench while my friends whom I've known looked up and gapped at him too.

He smile while I reached out my hand to introduce him to the group. "Girls, this is Ten. Ten, these are my friends from other classes." Ten greeted them before he climbed into the seat beside me and turned his torso toward me.

"So this is where food happens." he looked around in amusement as he occasionally again, greeted people with his smile. This guy is a literal ball of sunshine he wouldn't stop smiling!!

My girl friends started nudging me in my ribs, obviously trying to get answers out of me about the new boy, but I refuse to answer any of it. So, I stood up quickly and looked at Ten, "Alright, let's get some food". He followed me without a word, but of course the boy did bowed politely to my friends because I heard them swooning shortly after. 

We got our food and returned to the table, and while Ten was being bombarded with questions of his existence, I ate in annoyance. Strangely, even though I knew it was perfectly normal for everyone to become curious about the new boy in school, I was still annoyed at how much attention he was getting.

And when I thought it was only temporary, I was wrong. This boy is a human magnet. It doesn't matter who or what age you are, it doesn't matter if you're a student, a teacher or the principal, you get drawn to him.

Because even after half a year of enrolling into our school, the crowd never seems to get tired of looking at him or talking about this boy. Wherever he goes, he'll be stopped in his tracks for a random conversation or two, a confession at times and also lots of embarrassing moments (for the other party). 

Each time though, Ten would always be polite and nice even when it got too overbearing at times, I had to step in to drag him out of the crowd when it he obviously became too uncomfortable but wasn't tough enough to ask the other party to back down.

Maybe because I was a tomboy that made Ten feel comfortable, or was it that because we could speak comfortably in the language that we were both familiar with.

Maybe it was because I would get all of his jokes when he cracked one, or maybe it was because I'd always be helping him endlessly, he find it a lot easier to stick to me. But slowly and surely, we became best friends. 

I don't deny that he is attra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter