An inhospitable welcome

Broken Ties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two girls, SinB and Yerin, stayed housed within the walls of the hospital room. Sinb lie in the bed, leg wrapped in gauze, Yerin sitting next to her on a chair.

“We don’t have any time left, eonnie.” Speaking first, SinB looked warily at Yerin.

“What do you mean?” Asked Yerin. Shaking her head, SinB scribbled down notes onto the earlier used notepad, handing it to Yerin.

‘There are members of the clan outside of the room, act natural. My priority are you, Eunha, and Umji. Nothing matters as long as you three are safe.’

“What are you saying?”

“It’s about time that I, Jung Eunbi, face my rightful duties. Whatever happens to me, eonnie, know that I love you.”

“Wait. What?!” The sudden reveal shocked Yerin.

“Listen, eonnie; I haven’t been very honest with you. I lied about my identity, and I am so sorry for deceiving you—I wanted to keep you safe.” She took in a huff of air.

“But I can’t keep running, if I do they will only grow more violent, and I can’t allow you to get hurt.”

“But Si-”

“I need you to leave right now.” Cutting her off to prevent her name from being said, SinB painfully left the comfort of her bed. Grunting, she made her way towards Yerin, guiding her to the window. Getting close in proximity, SinB whispered:

“I need you to leave out the window as fast as you can, catch up with Umji and Eunha since they’re probably on their way. Tell them to turn back, that I’m fine; I have everything under control. And if they fight back, tell them you believe in me, tell them you watched me take down a hoard of men by myself. Please.”

“Please be careful and stay safe,” SinB whispered, tying something around Yerin’s waist and slipping something into her pocket.

“Don’t be stupid! I’m not leaving you!” She yelled.

“I love you, eonnie.” SinB kissed Yerin’s forehead, pushing her out the window. In shock, Yerin watch as the pavement grew closer. Eyes closed tightly to wait for her demise, but her demise never came. Opening her eyes, she hung about two feet above the pavement. Looking up, she saw SinB holding onto a rope from the window. The two stared at each other, tears filling both their eyes before Yerin got her footing and SinB let go of the rope.

Yerin watched as SinB left her view. Staring at the window, she contemplated her next move. She wanted to go against what SinB asked, but she trusted the young girl. She struggled for a few minutes, but she knew no matter how much she trusted SinB, the clan was not one to be trusted, they were irrational and dangerous; SinB was in danger.

“Come on, pick up the damn phone!” In a panic, Eunha had trouble steering, the car swerving like crazy at a speed too high for comfort.

“Slow down.” Stating calmly, Umji was far more concerned for her friend’s sanity than their death.

“We don’t have that luxury! We have to do something before SinB—” The phone began ringing before Eunha could finish her sentence. She answered cautiously, but the other line began before she could.

“Eunbi needs your help!” The two almost choked.

“What?” Umji asked.

“She needs help! I know you’re on your way to the hospital, but hold on. Where is your current location?”

“How did you get this number?” Umji asked.

“It doesn’t matter, just get here as fast as you can, but park as close to the exit as possible! The Pyeonghwa clan is here; it isn’t safe!”

“Th-they’re what?” Slamming on the breaks, Eunha froze.

“Oof! Eunha-yah! SinB-ah is there!” Yelped Umji.

“…she can take care of herself…” She whispered.

“Yerin eonnie, how many of them are there?” Umji asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Eonnie…” Eunha started softly, “Why did you call her Eunbi…”

“She told me her real name. Is it bad that I know it?” Eunha stayed silent.

“We’ll be right there,” Umji said, hanging up the phone.

“Let’s go, eonnie.” But Eunha wouldn’t move.

“What are you doing?! Move! We have to go!”

“I can’t.”

“Eonnie. I know you’re scared, but SinB-ah is our friend, our family. You can keep running if you really want to, but we can’t just leave her there! If She really told Yerin eonnie her name, and if she gave her our number, she’s in serious danger.” Gripping the wheel, Eunha breathed heavily. Closing her eyes tightly, she stepped on the gas, flooring it to the hospital.

“SinB-ah was right.”

“About?” Umji questioned.

“She’ll have to live with us. If she doesn’t, we’d have to kill her. And SinB-ah would never forgive us if we did. What the was she thinking!?” growling, Eunha dug her nails into the wheel.

“I know exactly what she was thinking,” Umji admitted.

“Of course you do.” She said, skidding to a stop.

“Do you see Yerin eonnie?” But before Umji could answer, Yerin ran in front of them waving wildly.

“ing moron!” Eunha growled. Putting the vehicle into park, the two exited the vehicle, Yerin walking up to them.

“What room is she in?” Asked Umji.

“247,”

“Okay, we need to come up with a plan before we go up there. Umji?”

“On it.” She quickly turned to the trunk, opening it and stepping inside.

“H-huh?” Yerin watched as she climbed into the trunk as if it were the most regular thing in the world.

“Come on!” With that, Eunha pushed Yerin into the vehicle, jumping in herself, and closing the trunk’s door as she did.

The back of the vehicle was suited with a portable table, a laptop, and an entire monitoring system on the side. How did she miss this?

“I don’t have a map of the hospital, so this won’t be easy. First, let’s assume there are members on every level. Yerin eonnie?” Turning to face Umji, she nodded.

“Do you know why the clan is at the hospital? Were you followed?” She stayed silent, looking between the two girls who watched her curiously.

“It may have something to do with me.” The two looked at one another, then back at Yerin.

“What do you mean?” Umji asked.

“I used to work as part of the clan.” Immediately, Eunha had a gun pointed at her.

“Wait, that was in the past!” Eunha’s hand wavered over the trigger.

“Eonnie, if SinB-ah trusted her enough to tell her her name, she may be telling the truth.”

“And what if she kept this from her?!” She yelled while keeping her finger securely on the trigger.

“Why would she tell us and keep it from SinB?”

“I don’t know!” She kept her eyes bearing into Yerin with a fierce glare, “explain yourself before I shoot.”

“SinB-ah told me to keep this from you; I told her everything. I used to work for the clan, but only as a delivery person, I never dealt with the inner workings.”

“Why did you work for them?” Eunha snarled.

“I…” Yerin looked squarely at the table, keeping her head low. “My mother grew gravely ill, and I needed to do something, so I could help her…” taking a shaky breath, “but it was no use…she succumbed to the disease. I left the clan, and they agreed to let me go. But I guess they never did…” Tear’s slowly began soaking the table.

“Yeah, once you’re a part of the clan, they never let you go. And if they do, you’ve got a target on your back.” Eunha stated with no tinge of sympathy i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter