SinB

Broken Ties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: It's been a while hasn't it? A lot has happened since the last update of 'Broken Ties'. This story is dear to my heart, and I wasn't happy with my writing style when I started. Writing '30 Days of Bliss' somewhat gave me some of the experience I needed to start tackling this massive story once again. I have re-written this story from the ground up, transitioning it from first person to third person (it's been switching constantly because I'm so indecisive.) But I felt the constant POV changes were making it too clunky. Everything is mostly the same, there are definitely some added sections in earlier chapters, but nothing too major. There is an entirely new section in Chapter 1: Factum Fieri Non Potest, I suggest you go back and read that section that will be highlighted upon posting this current chapter. Now without further ado, I hope you enjoy the revamped version of 'Broken Ties'!

 

“What was that about?” Yerin asked, confused by what had transpired, but SinB wasn’t. Sowon was looking for Eunha, that much was clear. Whatever she was after, whether it had to do with the clan or something else, she had to be stopped.

If only Yerin hadn’t witnessed it, being a detective, she would certainly question and press SinB. There was no getting out of it–she showed too much physical fear. She had to think of something quick to lead Yerin away from the trail, and away from the clan.

“SinB-ah. Do you know something about what just happened?” Just breathe, you can lie, you were trained for this. Being her of all people should encourage me to lie, shouldn’t it?

“Yeah, Jung Eunbi was a friend from Middle School. We used to play together during recess and at home, really one of the few people I could truly call ‘a friend’. But after middle school she disappeared, there were rumors that she dropped out suddenly, but no one had heard from her after. No transfers, no life updates; she completely vanished.” Lying was something SinB had to grow accustomed to, it was like second nature for the three roommates, but lying to Yerin was far harder than she would have liked. Because of this, she would try avoiding lying to her friend at all costs.

“But you looked scared? Is this Eunbi Jung a bad person?” Why would I look scared? She thought, attempting to retrieve a memory that was not real.

“No. She was one of the best people I had ever known. Jung Eunbi—she was just highly misunderstood–and terrified of something. I never knew what that something was, but my guess was that she went into hiding, which is why she became a ghost. Of course, that’s all just speculation.” None of what SinB was telling Yerin at this point was false, besides leaving out the crucial detail that Jung Eunbi was also known as Jung Eunha.

“I’m scared... because if she is hiding, she probably doesn’t want to be found. People looking for her may cause her trouble.”  She continued telling half-truths, wanting to trust Yerin, but telling her just enough to eliminate any involvement.

“I know Sowon eonnie, and she wouldn’t hurt a fly.” Yerin combated.

“How long have you known her?” SinB questioned, she was certain of the credibility of Yerin’s trust in Sowon, but  she had too much riding on this to stay mum.

“I’ve known her for several years, SinB-ah.” Several years? Several years, and SinB had never heard about this person until a week ago? She didn’t want to believe the conclusion she was reaching. Yerin—was Yerin the target after all? SinB refused to talk after that. She tried to stay as calm as possible despite the want to cry. She didn’t want Yerin to be her enemy, anyone but Yerin.

“SinB-ah.” But she didn’t respond, her eyes stayed glued to her lap as she thought. Was it really you they hired me to kill?

“SinB-ah!” Finally, the younger girl lifted her unexpecting head to a girl with tears streaming from her face.

“I’m sorry, I know this is hard for you, and I hate seeing you in so much pain–but I know Sowon eonnie wouldn’t be after your friend. I’m sorry.” Her mind went blank, as it usually did whenever she would see Yerin crying. Wrapping her arms around the older girl, she pulled her into a hug. Shaking the possibility that Yerin could be working for the clan was impossible, but eliminating the way she felt for Yerin was, too, impossible.

“Eonnie?” Pulling away from the hug, SinB got a good look at her crush’s face. “No matter what happens, our friendship matters more than anything to me.” A loud sigh escaped SinB’s lips as Yerin nodded in agreement.

“what do you know about the Pyeonghwa clan?” Staring at her with daggers. If she were to trust Yerin, to keep talking to her like she was accustomed to, she would have to know she wasn’t on the clan’s side.

“Almost nothing.”

 “Almost? what do you know?” Hearing herself sound like a detective was making her stomach churn. She didn’t want to press Yerin like she was some criminal, but she’d rather be safe than sorry.

“l’m sorry, SinB-ah, some of this is confidential.” 

“so is what I’m telling you.” She heaved a sigh, nodding in compliance before speaking again.

“The most recent case we’re dealing with might have something to do with them.” 

“Do you have any connection to them?”

“I do. But it’s minimal. Do you?” The tone in her voice alerted SinB that she was starting to get suspicious, and rightfully so, being treated like a felon by her closest friend.

“What’s minimal? How are you involved with them?” 

“Are you associated with them SinB-ah?” More serious this time–her eyes bore into SinB’s–a ferocity that provoked her. What could she get away with without revealing the truth?

“Yes, but only indirectly, l’ve never been in contact with them, nor do I want to be.” The air suddenly felt stiff, as if there were eyes watching. It would be for the best if they postpone their conversation until they were in a safer location. If they would continue talking like this, it wouldn’t be safe otherwise, not when the clan could be watching—they had eyes everywhere.

“Actually, eonnie, do you want to head over to my place?” SinB blurted.

“Your place?” Yerin seemed startled, staring at SinB unblinkingly.

“Yeah, we have free water and food, we can continue our chat there.” She smiled.

“O-Oh sure.” Yerin said, a flush surfacing on her face that confused SinB.

They made their departure as soon as Yerin had agreed to SinB’s offer. For obvious reasons, she wouldn’t be taking the detective to her home, but an abandoned apartment complex that Junior had owned, letting the girls use it as a second hideout. Using the abandoned complex meant that if they were being tracked, they wouldn’t have much to worry about. 

The car ride was quiet, the two girls questioning themselves. Before SinB could exit the vehicle after arriving at the complex, Yerin had stopped her.

“I trust you, SinB-ah.” 

“I trust you too.” But she couldn’t trust her, SinB believed there was a difference when there really wasn’t. 

They walked into the complex, through the eerie halls until they came upon room 145. Upon walking inside they were greeted to a mostly vacant room except for a table and chairs in the corner. 

“You can’t tell anyone what I’m about to tell you.” SinB said as she closed the door behind them.

“You have my word.” 

“I am involved with the Pyeonghwa Clan.”

“How?” 

“Well... Uh..” She swallowed hard, begging Eunha was the one to lie to Yerin.

“Sorry. It’s hard to say.” You lie on the daily, yet as soon as you’re in front of her, you lose your cool. SinB mentally slapped herself. But she wasn’t just one girl, she was Jung Yerin: the beautiful, talented, smart, eye smile Yerin. The singular person who could render SinB almost incapable of lying.

“SinB-ah, you trust me, don’t you?”

“I do.” 

“And I trust you. So while the detective in me is yelling at me, I care more about you than I do my detective instincts.” Really, eonnie, that’s touching, and it means a lot, but as touching as that is, I don’t think that’s the smartest choice you could make. Not wanting Yerin to continue with this nonsense, SinB decided now would be a better time than any to tell her a story of fake involvement.

“Eonnie, always listen to your detective instincts, you never know when they might be right.” Taking a deep breath, she continued, “They have been following me. I did a job for them once, and they won’t let me go no matter how hard I try.” Yerin looked shocked, and scared.

“Eonnie?” The fear in Yerin’s eyes was making SinB uncomfortable. She made her way over to the trembling girl, reaching to comfort her, but instantly she pulled away. “Yerin eonnie” 

“Sinb-ah. Why are you friends with me?” The words that just fell out of , they made SinB’s heart sink; all of her fears were collapsing on her at once. Yerin was a detective, and a good one, she must have known. Was SinB being played a fool this entire time? Her breath quickened as she struggled for air. Full-on panic mode rendered her incapable of everyday function.

“I trust you, SinB-ah... So..” She took a deep breath. “I used to work for the Pyeonghwa Clan, like you, but I did more than just one job. I had a choice to make, and my fight-or-flight instincts kicked in, and that choice was made. A debt had to be paid, and boy did I pay for it. They promised, once I did, that I would be free to live on as I pleased, but I could never be too careful.” This changed things; Yerin was a part of the clan, even if only for a short time—she could have been after Eunha. No matter how much SinB may have cared for her, she couldn’t risk the safety of her closest friends. But if the clan was after Yerin, that also compromised things. If Yerin had a target on her back just like the three of them, there was no telling what the clan would do to her. Everything SinB was, everything she did, was for the safety of her and her friends, and Yerin was her friend. She was stuck, trapped, she didn’t know what to do, and it suffocated her.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, am I scaring you?” Yerin broke her from her wandering mind.

“No, Yerin-ah,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter