Five

Something As Sweet As You

As much as she struggles, and as much as she wants to forget about latte art after her unfortunate latte, Tzuyu is a diligent student and continues to practice. Eventually, it finally just clicks, and now Tzuyu can create all the rosettas and leaves she wants. In fact, she's since moved on to etching designs directly onto the surface of the coffee itself with a metal pick. 

She's in the middle of googling "easy latte art drawing for beginners" when the bells on the door jingle and Myoui Mina strolls in. They've always been close friends, and out of everyone in their friend group, Tzuyu thinks she's the closest with Mina. So when Mina cutely requests for a penguin to be drawn on her coffee, Tzuyu happily obliges (and quickly switches her google search to "how to draw a penguin").

The penguin isn't as hard to draw as she expects, and the coffee is in Mina's hands before ten minutes are up. There aren't any other customers at the moment, so Tzuyu fixes herself a drink and leans over the counter to talk to Mina, enjoying her company. 

Sana isn't thrilled to be sitting off to the side, watching Myoui Mina and Tzuyu joke around and smile at each other. She had walked into the coffee shop earlier, finding Tzuyu leaning on the counter, chatting happily with a girl she recognized as Mina, another one of Momo's friends (why does Momo know so many people?). Her jealousy had gotten the better of her and she had decided to sit on one of the cushioned barstools up at the counter instead of her usual corner table, just to be closer to Tzuyu, although she now regrets having to sit through Tzuyu and Mina's flirting.

It's not like she and Tzuyu are dating or exclusive to each other, and it doesn't really seem like Mina and Tzuyu are actually flirting, but the normally sweet mocha latte leaves a sour taste in as she watches them, and Momo's words from two weeks ago come back to haunt her for a brief moment. 

But she pushes the thought aside and tries to focus on her laptop. It works for a bit, and the clacking of her keys as she types away is the only thing she can hear for a while, Tzuyu and Mina's voices blending into background noise. 

She stirs her drink absentmindedly every so often, and she's so absorbed in her work that she doesn't notice when Mina finally leaves and it's just her and Tzuyu (finally!) and Tzuyu is waving her hand in front of Sana's eyes, trying to get her attention.  

"Sana!"

"Yes? Sorry, I spaced out."

Tzuyu laughs, and nothing in this world is better than hearing Tzuyu laugh, Sana thinks. Sana is suddenly aware that she's falling deeper and deeper for Tzuyu, much like a childhood crush that never quite goes away, and once again Momo's words echo in her mind, urging her to take the next step.

"Can I get you anything else? Your drink is empty." Tzuyu points to the cup beside her.

"Can I get something as sweet as you?"

It slips out on accident, and Sana immediately clamps her hand over and shuts the up as if she hasn't just blurted out the world's cheesiest pick up line.

She's pretty sure she can hear Nayeon snickering from the back room. 

It takes about ten seconds of courage (coming from who knows where) to say the line, but waiting for Tzuyu to respond feels like forever. The taller girl is frozen as she gapes at Sana, struggling to form a single coherent sentence while Sana is struggling not to scream in embarrassment and repeatedly smash her head against the wall.

"Uh." Tzuyu says very eloquently. "Sure."

Sana fiddles with her fingers. "A-and what would that be?"

"Uh." Once again, Tzuyu's brain supplies her with an overwhelmingly articulate response. "Me."

They're shaken out of their reverie by Nayeon fiercely whispering something that sounds like I cannot ing believe, and time starts to flow normally again.

Sana smiles softly at Tzuyu, but with a little more confidence this time. "I'd like that."

Tzuyu turns a bright shade of pink and busies herself with making a drink for no one in particular, too shy to look at Sana.

Later, she slides Sana another latte, on the house, but this time with a cute heart drawn on it, along with a napkin that has a number and a message scribbled on. My shift ends in an hourwant to get dinner?

Sana's careful not to wipe anything on the napkin as she waits for Tzuyu's shift to end. She swings her legs happily, and Nayeon's friendly teasing and quips of "Congrats, losers!" and "Only took you guys like ten years" fly over her head. She savors every sip, trying not to ruin the chocolate heart until it can no longer be helped. Sana's never liked coffee all that much before, but this is Tzuyu's coffee, and it's perfect.