Two

Something As Sweet As You

Sana ends up coming to the shop everyday for the next few weeks, much to the chagrin of her best friend Momo, who complains that they haven't spent any time together at all lately. She ignores Momo's protests and goes to the shop anyway. 

By now, she's established herself as a regular, and Cute Barista Girl has started to ask "The usual?" instead of asking for Sana's order. She always gets the mocha latte, and she always sits at the same table from where she can watch the girl work. 

She's actually run into the girl a few times on campus now, and each time the girl nods in greeting at Sana her heart does a little pitter-patter. But Sana isn't delusional, and she knows that friendly nods and smiles don't actaully mean they're getting closer, and so one day she resolves to ask for Cute Barista Girl's name. 

Like anyone in the service industry, Tzuyu appreciates nice regular customers. She'll never admit it to Nayeon, but she's maybe a teensy bit partial to that one girl who always asks for a mocha latte. After all, she was the one who recommended that mocha latte in the first place. So Tzuyu always takes a few seconds to add in a little extra whipped cream, just for that girl, and tries not to let Nayeon's teasing get under her skin. If it weren't for the fact that Nayeon had recommended her to the manager and gotten her the job at the shop in the first place, Tzuyu's certain she would have smacked her coworker by now.

It's nearing three in the afternoon, and Tzuyu looks up at the sound of the door opening. She's gotten used to seeing the girl everyday, and today is no different.

She smiles politely at the girl. "Hi there. The usual?"

The girl smiles back and nods, pulling out her wallet to pay.

"Will that be all?"

"Uh, actually, could I, um, could I get your name?" Tzuyu pauses from tapping in the girl's order and looks at her curiously. "Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable," the girl continues hastily. "I was just wondering because I've seen you around for a bit lately. I'm Sana, by the way."

Tzuyu laughs, sweeping her hair to the side to reveal the shiny brass name tag on her apron. "I know, I get your name for your order everyday. I'm Tzuyu."

Sana visibly reddens, and she tries to reproduce Tzuyu's pronunciation of her name. "T-tzoo-yoo?"

Tzuyu hears Nayeon snigger in the back. "Uh, not quite. Tzuyu."

Sana tries again, this time with "Chew-you," and judging by the suppressed wheezing emanating from her coworker's direction, Tzuyu is sure Nayeon is having the time of her life. Somehow, Sana doesn't seem to notice Nayeon dying of laughter in the corner.

"No, Tzuyu," she grits her teeth. "T-Z-U-Y-U. Tzuyu."

"Oh okay! Chewy, got it!" Sana's face brightens so quickly that Tzuyu doesn't have the heart to tell her that she's still wrong, so she plasters a smile on her face and prints out a receipt instead. The other girl accepts it happily and skips away to her usual table, completely unaware of her mistake.

Once the girl is out of earshot, Nayeon's cackling lets loose and becomes a little louder, until the older girl is doubled over, laughing at Tzuyu.

"Nice to meet you, Chewy~!" Nayeon mimicks Sana with a surprisingly accurate high-pitched voice, and Tzuyu huffs in annoyance. "Aw, is someone mad because her favorite customer can't pronounce her name right?"

"Shut it, Nayeon." Tzuyu snaps. "And she's not my favorite customer." Her retort only serves to send Nayeon into another laughing fit, and Tzuyu chooses to tune her out this time, opting to grab a pen and start on Sana's order.

-

Sana squints at the name tag. Tzuyu. How has she never noticed it before? More importantly, how do you pronounce "Tzuyu?"

"T-tzoo-yoo," she stutters, and flushes when the girl shakes her head and smiles a little. 

"Uh, not quite. Tzuyu." Cute Barista Girl Tzuyu repeats her name, this time more slowly.

"Chew-you." Sana wants to crawl into a hole and disappear.

"No, Tzuyu," she says for the third time. "T-Z-U-Y-U. Tzuyu."

Sana decides to cut her losses and garbles out "Oh okay! Chewy, got it!" even though she knows that "Chewy" is 100% not the correct pronunciation. Tzuyu hands her her receipt with a strained smile, and Sana makes a beeline for her table, glad to no longer be a stuttering fool, cowering under the stare of Chewy. Or Chew-you. Or Tzoo-yoo. Whatever.

She wonders if her acting was convincing and if Tzuyu really believes that Sana really thinks her name is "Chewy," but she only has time to cringe at her own stupidity for a few more minutes before Tzuyu calls her name and her order is waiting in its usual place on the counter. She sighs and makes her way up, avoiding eye contact with Tzuyu the entire time, although the other girl seems to be avoiding her gaze as well.

Great, Sana groans internally. Tzuyu probably hates her now. Goodbye, all my chances with Cute Barista Girl. She makes a mental note to go look for a new study spot tomorrow. 

But before she can trudge back to her seat, a tap on her shoulder brings her face to face with another worker, a girl with bunny teeth. In the back of her mind, Sana vaguely recalls this girl being in the background during the entire "Tzoo-yoo-Chew-you-Chewy" fiasco.

"Hey," the girl begins conversationally. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Chewy back there."

Sana groans again. "That was so embarrasing. I know Chewy isn't her name, but I just can't pronounce it right. She probably hates me now."

The girl laughs. "Don't worry about it. She was probably just shocked in the moment, but she's not the type to get hung up about that kind of stuff."

"You think?" Sana asks hopefully. "I was really starting to like this shop. Would if I had to find a new place because I'm too ashamed to show my face here now."

"Yeah, for sure." The girls laughs again, but this time it's a loud cackle. "I'm Nayeon, by the way."

Sana nods. She's pretty sure that she can pronounce "Nayeon" without any trouble, but the trauma is still fresh on her mind, so she holds her tongue. "Nice to meet you. I'm Sana, but you probably already know that."

Nayeon cracks a grin, patting her on the shoulder. "Nice to meet you, Sana. I have to get back to work now, but I hope I'll see you around. Don't worry about Tzuyu, really. I think she has a soft spot for you." She winks.

Sana smiles at the reassurance, feeling hopeful as Nayeon walks away. Maybe Tzuyu wasn't too upset over her name being butchered. Maybe they could start fresh. She looks down at her cup, smile faltering as she reads the writing on the sleeve.

Snaa.

Not Sana, but Snaa.

Or maybe not, Sana sighs to herself.