Four

Something As Sweet As You

Another Friday rolls around and Sana (god bless her poor sinuses) stumbles into the shop, aggresively inhaling the pollen-free air and sniffling. She stops when she notices Nayeon staring at her from behind the register, no Tzuyu in sight.

"Where's Tzuyu?"

Nayeon waves her hand towards the back of the shop, out of Sana's sight. "She's in the back, learning how to do latte art."

As if on cue, Tzuyu's head pops out of the back room into view and she smiles at Sana before calling to Nayeon. "Come look at what we've made." Two other heads appear below Tzuyu—a small black-haired girl with a mole underneath her lip, and a cheery blonde that Sana recognizes as Kim Dahyun, one of Momo's friends.

Dahyun waves at Sana. "Sana! It's been a while!"

"Hey Dahyun! Good to see you again!"

"You know each other?" Tzuyu is looking curiously at them. 

Sana nods. "We met through Momo."

Tzuyu thinks for a moment. "The girl who came here with you last time?"

"Yeah, my best friend."

"Enough chit chat, losers!" Nayeon cackles as she herds the three girls out of the back room. "Let's have Sana take a look at your art. You don't mind, do you?" She her head at Sana, who shakes her head vigorously.

"I'd be happy to."

"Great!" Nayeon lets out another obnoxious laugh before they sit down at Sana's usual table.

-

"Bro." Chaeyoung elbows Tzuyu. "You totally like her."

"Shut up," Tzuyu huffs. "I do not."

"Then why are you glaring at Dahyun and Sana?"

"I'm not glaring. I'm observing."

"Observing angrily." 

Tzuyu chooses not to respond. She squints (angrily) at the espresso before her, trying to pour milk out evenly into a rosetta design. It comes out looking like a puddle more than anything, and Chaeyoung snickers.

"Do it more slowly. Like this." Chaeyoung holds the pitcher of steamed milk with a steady hand and tilts the cup back and forth patiently, watching as a zig-zagging pattern appears across the foam. Tzuyu nods and is about to try again when a breathy giggle floats from across the room. She looks up to see Sana and Dahyun, huddled closely together at Sana's usual table, laughing at a joke Dahyun cracked. Tzuyu frowns at them from her spot behind the counter.

"Totally not glaring." Tzuyu shifts her line of sight to glare at Chaeyoung instead, who is smiling at her smugly from across the counter.

"Chaeyoung is right, you know." Nayeon says in a sing-songy voice, and Tzuyu commits herself to glaring at her too. "Just ask Sana out already."

Tzuyu stiffens and opens , but a new customer steps in and she's saved from having to respond.

-

Two hours later, Tzuyu decides that latte art is something she should never attempt ever again in her life. Period. 

She's the one closing up today, because Nayeon is leaving early with Chaeyoung and Dahyun.

"I'll be going now. Promised Dumb and Dumber that I'd take them out for dinner." Nayeon jabs her thumb towards the two other girls, who promptly begin to argue over who is Dumb and who is Dumber. Tzuyu kicks all three of them out to get them to stop arguing, leaving her alone with Sana. And a few other patrons in the shop, but Sana is the only one who matters, anyway.

She continues to practice her latte art, but you can only waste so much coffee before the manager gets mad at you, so on her forty-seventh trial run, she decides that it'll be the last one for the day. And probably forever. 

Nevertheless, because Tzuyu is a perfectionist and goddamn it why can't she get it right she insists on trying to recreate the elegant leaf-like pattern that Chaeyoung has demonstrated a billion times before. It doesn't help that Sana is no longer sitting at her usual table in the corner, but on a bar stool right up at the counter, with a front row view of Tzuyu fumbling around. 

But Sana's presence only serves to make her more determined than ever to finally, finally get it right. And so she tries her best, and then both Sana and her hover over the cup, examining the espresso. The minute Tzuyu sees it, she feels the earth open up and swallow her into its depths. But of course that doesn't really happen, and what actually happens is Sana saying "wow" awkwardly before trailing off for lack of simply anything else to say.

The art is better, Tzuyu supposes, in some ways.

It's definitely got a more elongated shape instead of the previously amorphous blobs. And there's some semblance of the two leaves on the side, curling upwards towards the stem in the center. But her creation has the misfortune of looking undeniably like a poorly drawn , and Tzuyu has the misfortune of Sana bearing witness to her embarrasing failure.

They both gawp at it for a while, before Tzuyu grabs the cup wordlessly and tosses the contents down the drain. She stares at Sana, eyes unwavering, but nothing can hide the blush that slowly creeps its way up from her neck to the tips of her ears, setting her face aflame. "We will never speak about this. Ever."

Cute, Sana thinks, but she doesn't say anything and just nods in response and Tzuyu sighs, resigning herself to a life of art-less lattes.