Red.

Turn around once more.

[Seems like they are merely friendly neighbours! Lee SungKyung captured cosying up with same-industry talents. Nam JooHyuk is still available! Hold on. Or is he looking to build a house with someone? Is SungKyung the designer whose services he engaged? Is it all but a misunderstanding? In this case, who exactly is JooHyuk dating? Is he dating someone?] JooHyuk heard from his manager that his previous dating scandal rumours with SungKyung has been cleared. He saw the pictures of her and some guy. He didn’t like it. Her waist circled by some man’s arm.

----------

At a fine dining restaurant, SungKyung was already there when JooHyuk and Suzy settled at their table, an ample space between theirs. She’s dressed elegantly. Her natural wavy hair falls over her off-shoulder one piece. Her dining partner looks suave and manly. Their conversation so soft he could not hear a thing but only see her smiling and grinning time to time. “Isn’t that your schoolmate? Should we say hi? Her boyfriend is a charmer… They are like a match made in heaven! Don’t you think so?” Suzy whispered when she saw the woman who made her jealous before. “You two look great together too.” The server added when he heard Suzy’s statement. Suzy thanked humbly, liking it very much. JooHyuk did not reply. He was not listening at all. 

Ever since SungKyung came back into his life, his mind only has her and not Suzy. The truth is, their relationship was actually already going pale. JooHyuk stayed on seeing her effort to make their union work. In Suzy, he saw the younger SungKyung. Now, the original don’t even give a damn about him. She’s ever more independent, talented and well off now. She doesn’t need him. He recalled. Right from the start, she didn’t need him. “I’m around because I like you a lot.” That’s what 18 year old SungKyung told him. He realized she left because she no longer likes him. Not because he has no time for her. It’s because he has never put in any effort in their 15 years of togetherness. He took it like it’s a given. 

JooHyuk saw the man holding SungKyung’s hand in his gently. He saw her brushing his leg with hers mildly under the table. He couldn’t stand it any longer. It’s only second dish of their 5-course dinner meal. “Let’s go. I’m not feeling well.” He walked out and made payment without waiting for Suzy. He didn’t see SungKyung subtly removed her hand from the man’s. She looked up when the pair left their table. Their seats weren’t even warm yet.

“I’m sorry. Let’s break up. I know you’re trying very hard. I tried too. It’s difficult. I have too many things on my plate right now. I don’t deserve you like this. This is it. No more. Thank you for your love...” JooHyuk walked away from the weeping girl. He told her his decision firmly when he dropped her off at her door step. He bought a dozen bottles of soju before going home.

“My head.....” He groaned at his pounding head. The sunlight shone through the thin curtain. The wind of spring caressed his skin. He sat up immediately. His watch shows 3pm. This is not his apartment. He looked around. There’s no one but him in the spacious living area. It’s decorated in simplicity; white, grey, light wood and gently scented. He felt calm and comfortable. He stood up and walked around the empty apartment. He stilled when he noticed the many pictures pinned on the fridge. He recognized the common face in all the photos. This is Lee SungKyung’s apartment. 

‘.’ [Empty bottles thrown in his car. The last drop of alcohol down his throat. He staggered to the lift and pressed level 4. He banged at her door. Her pissed face greeted him. He fell on her. She cursed. She pushed him off. She dragged him to the couch. She continued cursing. He puked on her. She cursed repeatedly. She cleaned him up, covered him with a comforter and left him there for good.] That was all the flashback he could remember. He knows he’s officially a dead meat. He glanced at the pictures again. ‘She looks happy...’ He looked at every single photo. His finger traced her face. He toured around her place. He saw the note written for him pasted on the mirror in her room. [Get out, now.] He laughed and smirked. He took the post it note and replaced with a new one. [Thanks for the hospitality. You have a nice place. I’ll drop by again.]

----------

JooHyuk was in the midst of filming by the stretch of bars. Of all times, SungKyung has to be there. She looks slightly tipsy as she climbed and sat on the railing by the road. She looked up the night sky, seemingly enjoying the night breeze. She looked around and their eyes met. She doesn’t seem to recognize him as she looked away elsewhere. A guy came up to her. It’s a different one from the fine dining. He went up to her. Her arms welcomed him. He smiled. She smiled. He leaned in for a kiss which she accepted. “Woah.... talk about the perfect kiss... They look so good while kissing.” JooHyuk heard the crew who was looking at the same direction as him said. Their kisses were not desperate. It has a bit of t*ease, kinda playful, kinda cute and kinda sweet. JooHyuk was very sure there’s no tongue involved but he could see that the man was completely smitten. He carried her off the rail and pulled her back to the bar. JooHyuk lost his concentration but his professionalism successfully helped wrap-up his scene.

In his company van, he looked out of the tinted window and saw her standing by the traffic light alone. She’s looking at her phone. “Stop the car!” He shouted and ran out when the vehicle stopped. His manager got a heart attack by his sudden instruction. He watched the boy went up to a lady. “Follow me.” He grabbed her wrist. She swung if off. “I’m not drunk. I know how to get a car myself. Thank you very much.” He lifted her off the ground, over his shoulder. “Hey! Nam JooHyuk! Are you crazy! Let me go!” She jerked trying to escape but he held firm and threw her into the back seat. 

His manager looked at him, to her and drove off. “Drink this. Sober up.” He gave her a bottle of water. “Don’t talk to me. I’ll vomit on your face.” She said menacingly. “Be my guest since I did it on you the other night.” He rebuked. Not wanting to talk to him, she took the bottle from him and sipped on. He watched her doze off. “Thanks hyung. See you tomorrow.” He walked away carrying the human sack in his arms. She’s light. She feels so right in him.

He laid her down on his bed. He caressed her face. He stole a kiss from her pouty lips. He stole another one and another one and another one. He wanted to erase the kiss scene she’d earlier on. She smacked his face unconsciously as she turned away, snuggling into the comforter. “Even in your sleep you are rejecting me...” he snorted. He picked up her phone that has dropped out from her bag. There’s no password. He dialled his number. He’s gotten her number now. He saved his name in her phone. 

SungKyung woke up few hrs later. It’s not her bed. She’s still clothed. She picked up the photo frame by the bedside that shows a family of three. She walked out of the dimly lighted room. JooHyuk is sleeping on the sofa. She tiptoed and left. He woke up and noticed she’s no longer there. What’s left behind was a lipstick written ‘thanks’ scribbled on his full length mirror. He took a picture of it and posted on his social platform. He captioned the post with a smirking emoticon. He left her art there, not wiping it off. He also reminded the clean-up aunty to leave it aside.

----------

JooHyuk met SungKyung a week later at the minimart after his jog. He’d changed his jogging route hoping to bump into her. Although he has her number, he dare not call or text her. “So... is he’s your boyfriend? That guy at the bar.” He approached her. “No.” She answered. “Then why are you two kissing?!” He could not believe what she’d just said. “He’s single. I’m single. What’s wrong?” She explained. “What’s wrong? Then kiss me! I’m single too!” He’s fumed. “Well. We’ve done those years back. No need to repeat.” She stated as a matter of fact. He’s pissed. He pulled her towards him roughly and kissed her on the lips. Reluctantly pushing himself away from her, he gave her the middle finger and jogged away smugly. She was lost for words by his behaviour. “You two are funny. Just be together!” The minimart owner said out. “No.” She stuck out her tongue playfully and waved goodbye. Subconsciously, she smiled while jogging back.