Away.

Turn around once more.

“Stop following me noona! Go do your own things!” JooHyuk verbally pushed SungKyung away. He became ever more famous when a middle school art student (16) submitted a sketched portrait of him playing basketball. She’s 4yrs his senior. He’s merely a primary school student (12) then. “I’m your girlfriend! Don’t forget that!” SungKyung shouted back in frustration and walked away in the opposite direction. Yes, he did ask her to be his girl even-so. She’s very pretty, that’s why.

Their relationship has been complicated from the start. With him commanding her most of the time, breaking up with her and asking her back each time. She never once turned her back on him. She’s always there when he needs someone. He had his first kiss with her. He asked for it as his junior school graduation gift. Her eyes closed. He kept staring at her beautiful features. Her eyes opened when she waited too long. They looked deep into each other’s eyes. She smiled and moved forward. Their lips met and deepen. They carried on their relationship for 15 years.

----------

SungKyung graduated with a degree in architecture and started working in a well-known firm. While JooHyuk graduated with a degree in film & theatre. He was street picked by a big scale entertainment agency. Since then, he no longer has much private time. Their meet up lessened. Their communication reduced. At 31, SungKyung decided to end things with JooHyuk. He’s only 27, still having a long way to go in his life and career. She’s been trying to get in touch him through phone but not once he called her back. No texts too. She knows how busy he is. However, her understanding towards him ends at this moment. 

[I want to tell you personally but it’s difficult to get hold of you. You don’t call back. Nor reply my text. What I want to say is… Let’s break up. Have a good life. Goodbye, JooHyuk. I wish you all the best, sincerely.”] SungKyung smiled as though a stone has been lifted off her chest when the text was sent over successfully. She’ll take it that he’d acknowledged it since he did not respond to it, as usual.

SungKyung packed her stuffs and looked around at the humble apartment she first bought with the savings from her 3yrs pay check. To start afresh, she needs to leave this place that contained many memories with JooHyuk here. Giving it one last glance, she shut the door and rolled her luggage away. Putting on her sunglass, she flipped her long wavy hair off her shoulder and walked away from her history. Shortly after she moved house, she was sent aboard to the States and some other European cities for 4yrs. 

----------

SungKyung’s family picked her up from the airport when she’s back to Korea for good. Her mother nagged nonstop,” No more traveling! You’re 35 already! I should be a grandma by now!” Their car drove pass the busy streets. She looked out the window and saw several banners of her ex-boyfriend. There was no hard feeling. She did not regret her decision to leave him. It was not easy for her to come into terms with her decision. That boy held so much space within her then. 

She looked away and continued bickering with her family. Her company bought her an apartment at an upscale neighbourhood near their office. She had initially declined but was forced to accept as a reward for the numerous awards she’d achieved for the company over the years. Her previous apartment now occupied by her younger sister and boyfriend while her parents still lived the same area where their friends are. Her family are doing well, that’s all that matters to her now. 

----------

JooHyuk took a second look when a familiar face jogged passes him. Her tall height caught his attention, followed by her fair skin, lastly her light-coloured eyes. She didn’t take a glance at him. Their shoulders brushed pass each other just like that. He stopped from his run. It’s definitely her. He frowned as he watched her distancing back view. She did not turn back. Till date, the past still haunts him. He hasn’t forgotten how they ended. 

4yrs ago, when he phoned back, her line was no longer in operation. He went over to her place immediately; it was already taken over by someone else. Some guy opened the door. He left without asking more. She vanished without a note. Only the usual missed calls and unread text messages which he reads during his free time. It was then did he read that particular text, a week after the dated text, the last one she’d sent. He never would have thought he’ll no longer hear from her. It was then he realised he deserved it. He’d ignored her most of the time, thinking she’ll always be around. He’s wrong. He hangs around those at work, taking her as his fall-back plan. He knows it’s too late. She has decided to leave him. It’s the first and only time she initiated a breakup. His heart, for the first time, felt lost and empty.

He searched for her name online when he got back to his apartment from his jog. Back then, she’s already making a name for herself. He believes she’s well-known in her industry by now, given her talent and dedication. Links with her name popped out. He clicked and read those interviews which she took part in. It’s then he realized she wasn’t in Korea all these while. 

 

Qns: Many are curious what your future marriage home will be like.

Ans: You might not believe this but the man that I’ll marry is my home.

Qns: Judging by that, we guess you’re still waiting for that lucky man? Or have you found him already?

Ans: I’m not in the position to wait! I’m 35 already. My mom is nagging!

 

He smiled; relieved that she’s still the same her he knows all these while. But he’s curious. And he’s jealous by the thought of her having someone in her life, other than himself. ‘You are not in any position to have such thoughts Nam JooHyuk. Have you forgotten? You have a girlfriend at this very moment.’ His self-conscious reminded him. He cursed. Indeed. SungKyung left, telling him to have a good life. His career heightened. He moved on after months of pondering without her in his life then. 

Since that coincidental bump in from that morning jog, he has not seen her again.