Chapter 3

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Trial

 

BANG

 

A gunshot resounded through the walls of the research lab.

 

Blood splattered the cold, dull white tiles along with the white walls.

 

In the middle of the research lab, lay a scientist with a blood stained white coat in a pool of his own blood looking up blankly at his murderer.

 

“Well, I guess you understand what happens if you defy my requests. Oh wait, you’re dead, so you won’t be able to understand this.”

 

Chuckling at the joke, the murderer took the classified file.

 

Stepping out of the room, careful not to step in the pool of blood which was spreading rather quickly, the murderer looked up at the camera with a sinister smile stretched on the pale face. 

 

The murderer slipped the gun into a pocket and made a beeline for the castle, with the file tucked in a bag.

 

The truth behind an important matter sealed within the now cold and empty walls of the researcher’s lab and shut within the memories of the now dead researcher. 

 

There was no way of finding out the truth. Anymore.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Meanwhile, in apartment 418 of The Abelia, a lady is seen pacing back and forth nervously along within the walls of her living room. 

 

Chaeyeon kept checking her hologram every now and then, expecting to see the red notification button ring to notify her of the instructions.

 

In the children’s rooms, lay Lee Yujin recounting the events of the day after a silent, tense dinner with fried chicken and squid ink pasta.

 

What would happen to me? Am I really the dead child, Ahn Eugene? But it seems impossible. I would rather live here than go to a place full of snobby royals. Wait, but then again they might not be even snobby, besides there is that nice Ahn Minjoo so it wouldn’t make the experience that bad. I think. I don’t know. Besides, I should sleep and prepare for anything tomorrow.

 

11.59 P.M.

 

Chaeyeon held her breath in, praying that the Minister of Defense had perhaps forgotten about the matter. But she is 99 percent sure it won’t be the case.

 

12.00 A.M.

 

A notification from the government appeared on Chaeyeon’s hologram.

 

To: Lee Chaeyeon of Apartment 418 of The Abelia, Mayflower Road, Angelica Region, Elbonia 

From: Sir Dennis Lim, Minister of Defense of the Royal Government of Elbonia

 

Subject: Instructions

 

Lee Chaeyeon is to report to the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Elbonia on 2.00 p.m. sharp on 14 August 2043 , to appeal against the charges held against her by Sir Dennis Lim, Minister of Defense, as stated below:

 

Abduction of the Crown Princess, Ahn Eugene of the Royal Ahn family Declaration of Lee Yujin, falsely registered as daughter of Lee Chaeyeon, not found in the official Government of Elbonia identification system

 

If the person above mentioned, Lee Chaeyeon is found guilty of these charges, the guilty is to be convicted under the Law of Abduction along with Law of National Registration Act. The guilty faces a minimum of 10 years in the Elbonia State Prison with a fine of minimum of 10 000 Elbonia Dollars($). The guilty may face a death sentence if ruled by the Royal Ahn Family.

 

The Royal Ahn Family will grace the Supreme Court with their presence to witness the charges held against Lee Chaeyeon, under the Supreme Court’s ruling.

 

If the guilty fails to turn up for the private court hearing, she is liable to an immediate death sentence and ownership of Lee Yujin is transferred over to the Royal Ahn Family as Ahn Eugene.


 

Lee Yena, daughter of Lee Chaeyeon and unknown mother, is to report at 7.00 a.m. sharp on 15 August 2043 on the Royal Guards Military Training Grounds on the basis that she had been found to be fit and healthy, meeting the requirements.

 

Failure to comply with these instructions would result in the immediate arrest of Lee Chaeyeon. 

 

High Court Judge: Madam Yongsun Kim

Prosecutor: Mr Dennis Lim

Defendant: Lee Chaeyeon

 

From the Royal Government of Elbonia, under Royal Ahn Family’s ruling.

We pledge to provide our services to the legal citizens of Elbonia with our loyalty and truth.

 

Reply immediately to acknowledge the message 


 

Just as Chaeyeon was about to send a message back to the government hologram, another message popped up on her hologram notification.

 

To: Lee Chaeyeon of Apartment 418 of The Abelia, Mayflower Road, Angelica Region, Elbonia 

From: Anonymous

 

CLASSIFIED INFORMATION 

 

This message allows you to make a decision to decide the fate of your children and most importantly, you, Lee Chaeyeon in the court hearing today.

 

You have the decision to agree that you had allegedly kidnapped Yujin and had not had her falsely registered in the government identification system. Don’t worry, we will transfer you a handsome sum of money in a bank account within Switzerland which can be accessed by your unique hologram identification if you pledge guilty to the crime. We will also have the issue covered up and your name would not be revealed to the annoying press. In return, you are to keep a low profile. Don’t worry you can run your wonderful dance studio in the rising entertainment industry. Under the watchful eyes of the Royal Guards of course, to make this game a little bit more interesting.

 

Also, have one of your beautiful children Yena report to the Royal Guards Military Training Grounds, since it would be a waste of her wonderful talent.About the rest of your children, I am sure the government will reward them someday with a wonderful job with an amazing salary every month.

 

Now, if you fail to comply with the fact that you have ‘allegedly kidnapped Yujin and had not had her falsely registered in the government identification system.’ , people immediate to you will suffer first followed by you to watch it all. It will be like a little movie screening with sequels, prequels and follow ups. Then we have the grand finale, we will have your limbs attached to ropes like a puppet and have you dance till your last breath. You love dancing, right? Since, you set up a dance studio to spread your passion in dance. It seems fitting for you to do what you are passionate about till your last breath. Besides, our growing population can just replace your deaths. But, Yujin won’t die. Of course, she is Ahn Eugene the supposed dead Crown Princess, she will return to reclaim the title of Crown Princess from Kim Minjoo. 

 

So think wisely, since your decision determines your fate in this pretty harsh world. 

 

One wrong move and you will see yourself dancing your way to death.

 

Long live the Crown Princess Ahn Eugene for she had never left the Queen’s mourning heart.

 

Yours sincerely, a loyal and honest member of the Royal Government of Elbonia, under the Royal Ahn’s ruling.

 

We pledge to provide our services to the legal citizens of Elbonia with our loyalty and truth.

 

P.S : The Royal Government will you to the various destinations and meals will be provided. The government isn’t that mean, at least in my perspective. :)


 

Chaeyeon took a deep breath, willing her nerves in her fingers to send a reply back to the Government, deciding to herself that her beloved children’s fates have been sealed, only for her to show in the court later that day.

 

Starting off with Lee Yujin.

 

She went to bed after settling some matters from her colleagues and washing up.

 

Just as her head hit the soft comfy pillow, she broke into tears. 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

1st of September 2035.

 

Lee Chaeyeon was locking up the newly set up dance studio, with a jovial Yena clinging tightly on her right leg.

 

“Mama, I see someone right there. She seems so lonely. It’s dark out Mama. Help the person, Ma.”

 

Chaeyeon squinted in the direction of Yena’s chubby fingers pointing in the direction of the bushes. She couldn’t see anyone in the area surrounding the bushes or even the bushes itself for that matter.

 

“What do you mean, Yena? I don’t see anyone. Is it one of your imaginary friends?” Chaeyeon was trying to brush it off as one of Yena's wild imaginations taking flight.

 

“Noooo, Mama. I swear there is a person.In the bushes. She is like an egg. Does Mama not believe me.” Yena broke down immediately.

 

Chaeyeon sighed to herself and picked up Yena who was leaving snot running on her dance pants.

 

“Okay, okay. Don’t cry. We will look for the person. Together. Pinky Promise” she held out her pinky for Yena to clutch with her tiny pinky.

 

She then set off for the direction of the bushes in front of the dance studio, expecting to see a small, dirty boulder there.

 

Instead, she was met with a small girl, roughly the same age as Yena. She seemed pretty clean for a lost child. And to Chaeyeon, she looked like a stray dog with how she had those pitiful puppy eyes.

 

She set Yena down on the ground and inched towards the girl who looked up to her fearfully.

 

“Hello, I am Chaeyeon. Do you know where your parents are?”

 

The girl just looked up at her mutely, before shaking her head.

 

“Do you know anyone who was with you?”

 

Again, the girl gave the same reaction. Just a mere shake of her head.

 

“Okay, uhm.”

 

“What is your name!” Yena suddenly barged in the conversation excitedly.

 

The child looked at Yena and her eyes travelled to meet Chaeyeon’s warm, hazelnut ones.

 

She replied, just merely above a whisper but enough for Chaeyeon to hear.

 

“Yujin”

 

That’s strange, no surname along with it. Chaeyeon thought to herself. Who does this child belong to?

 

“Hi Yujin! I am Lee Yena. This is my mama.” Yena gestured to Chaeyeon who was still in a deep thought over Yujin’s identity. 

 

“How old are you? I am six” Yena held up six chubby fingers and counted them out proudly.

 

Just as Yena was about to put up the last finger, Yujin replied again, with a weak voice.

 

“Five”

 

“Wow. You are the same age as Nako. She is my sister. Maybe you can be my sister”

 

Chaeyeon silenced Yena with a palm up and asked Yujin.

 

“Yujin. Do you have any memories before coming here”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter