Chapter 13

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SORROW


 

2 June 2048, 12.00 a.m.

 

“Yena, do you think Eugene is really Eugene ?”

 

Scoffing at the peculiar question, the guard pushed away the incoming thoughts of the fond memories she had with Yujin.

 

“Yuri, you must be getting drunk. Do you want to go back up to the castle? I’ll bring you back to the castle on my back. A piggyback today, hmm. How about that?” Yena bargained.

 

“No. I’m not drunk.” The princess grumbled before struggling to stand up.

 

“Yuri, look into my eyes and tell me you aren’t drunk.” With as much of a stern voice she could muster, the guard couldn’t help but melt at the sight of her cute girlfriend wobbling about like a baby trying to take their first steps.

 

“Sure.” A pair of hands settling themselves comfortably on Yena’s face.

 

“I’m” Yuri leaned forward, her dark eyebrows scrunching softly.

 

“Not” Two pairs of eyes peered at each other lovingly.

 

“Drunk” With the final touch, a light peck landed on the unsuspecting guard.

 

The peck surely left the pair in a daze before it slowly descended into a long, sweet kiss shared under the moonlight.

 

However, happy moments come to an end eventually so the pair had to pack up their little picnic, ensuring that not a single bread crumb was left behind for questioning.

 

Latching herself on Yena, Yuri enjoyed the warm breeze wafting through the cloudless night as they sped away on the loaned motorcycle.

 

“Yena.” Yuri called out lovingly as she rested her head on Yena’s stiff shoulders.

 

“Yes, Yuri.” Checking if the coast was clear, Yena accelerated slightly knowing very well that time was ticking quickly with a drunk Yuri.

 

“You didn’t answer my question earlier?” 

 

“Whether you are drunk? Wel, most certainly-“ Yena nervously gulped as she was cut across by Yuri’s sharp tone.

 

“You’re avoiding it again.” Yuri chided before relaxing her arms around the guard.

 

“Look Yuri, this is information handled by the higher authorities. I have no say in this matter.” Yena checked the coast again, ensuring that no one was in plain sight.

 

“Well, I’m higher than those authorities you rave about so I, Princess Ahn Yuri, demand Lee Yena to speak her thoughts.” A slight giggle followed behind.

 

“If you say so, Princess Yuri. Personally, I take in to account her feelings and most certainly, it would be lovely to have her reside in a home that she feels the most comfortable in. And, as much as I’d want her to come back to my family, imagine the damage it would cause to your family. This is simply not beneficial for both sides either way.” Making a swift turn into one of the hidden entrances of the palace, the pair was shrouded in complete darkness before the cold exterior of the bleak walls of Palace Elysian greeted their eyes.

 

“Screw her feelings or whatever stuff, please just tell me honestly who Eugene really is?” Yuri spat out as she hoisted herself off the rear of the motorcycle.

 

“Princess Yuri. It’s late already and I can’t afford to waste any more time so please let’s not make this hard for the both of us and let me you back to your room.” Yena avoided the question as she held out her hand for Yuri to hold onto.

 

Without any words, the young princess pushed away the outstretched arm as she stalked off angrily back to her room.

 

Yena watched on solemnly as she silently muttered to herself, watching the retreating figure close the huge entrance on her.

 

“Lee or Ahn, Yujin has never belonged to anyone else so that’s why I can’t provide you the answer you have desperately been longing for.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

9 June 2048, 2.00 p.m.

 

‘We have no other option but to proceed on with the marriage. I cannot hold this out any longer.’ A voice resonated in Eugene’s empty head as she struggled to internalise her surroundings.

 

“Immediately? After this horrifying turn of events? Are you mad, Sakura? Did the stress of raising a country alone finally catch up to you? Do the consequences not scare you enough?” A voice harshly responded.

 

‘What consequences?’ Yujin internally muttered as she shifted slowly, allowing the cool draft of the air con caress her warm skin.

 

“The public will turn their backs on us. On everything. Their faith in us has slightly wavered with the sudden attack from the Royal Guards. To foolishly tell them that we are to have a grand wedding after this is like simply saying I do not care for these soldiers’ lives.”

 

Breathing methodically, Eugene’s ears pressed forward to listen on.

 

“So what? The citizens are simply brainwashed to the point that they will accept anything that comes their way. Sure there would be an uproar at the start but they are more worried about their money and themselves to worry about a royal marriage.”

 

“Then what about those rumoured underground organisations that Mr Lim had been hinting about?” Sakura’s voice pressed on, a hint of worry laced in it.

 

“Do you honestly believe anything that man says? Sakura get a grip on yourself. You’re losing out on our power and I can’t afford to have you lose your sanity.” The same harsh voice lashed out again.

 

“I am sane, woman! It’s just that so much has been going on especially with Yuri’s death and Eugene’s id-“

 

KNOCK KNOCK

 

The argument came to an abrupt stop with Sakura and her acquaintance refraining from their spicy argument.

 

“Hgh, come in.”

 

The sound of the hospital door reverberated throughout the room as a person silently stepped in.

 

“Queen Eunbi asked to see you at the lobby, Mother Sakura and Hyewon.”

 

‘Oh so that was Hyewon.’ Yujin thought as she held still in her uncomfortable position.

 

“Alright, Minjoo. Take care of your sister.” 

 

The doors slid open once again before closing itself shut on the pair.

 

Straining her ears to hear for the retreating sounds of footsteps on the hallway, Eugene cracked open her eyes methodically, her pupils darting back and forth to check that the coast was clear.

 

Her dark brown eyes met Minjoo’s warm ones to which they dilated in surprise.

 

“You’re awake! I should tell-“

 

Just before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter