Chapter 7

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

GRAND GALA

 

“Welcome to the Grand Gala where we celebrate the return of our Crown Princess, Ahn Eugene back to the Royal Ahns. After nearly 8 years, we had her returned to us safe and sound back to our arms and without further ado, let’s start off the celebration.”

 

Yujin took a deep breath in, hiding behind the mask of Ahn Eugene as she was ushered promptly to greet important people around the world.

 

She showcased her well versed picture perfect smile to them and they would beam proudly as if someone worthy of being a Crown Princess was present.

 

Gushing over how the Crown Princess had grown into a wonderful princess, from a boisterous one as in which they recalled the last memories with a younger Eugene.

 

However, there were a few details that did not go unnoticed by Yujin herself.

 

Ahn Eugene had to ignore the snark comments made by the snobby upper class, ranging from those little snippets insulting her choice of dress and insulting her inability to hold herself well.

 

The worst one she had heard was from a snippet of conversation she had overhead between Mr Dennis Lim and a bespectacled man.

 

“It’s a pity that her foster mother hadn’t claimed any money for raising her.”

 

‘Chaeyeon would never do that and besides she’s a much wonderful mother compared to the Queens’ Yujin thought angrily to herself.

 

Eugene had to hold herself from clenching her fist for it would cause a few eyebrows to be raised from the people watching eagle eyed at every action she takes, down to the way she takes her next breath.

 

She was to be Ahn Eugene, the one who is expected to possess an elegant poise and the next expected Queen of Elbonia, right after Queen Sakura steps down.

 

She was not to be displaying any trait of Lee Yujin, someone who is very carefree and the daughter of Lee Chaeyeon, the very person that people label as the foster mother who had allegedly raised her after kidnapping her.

 

Then, she was moved along to greet Kwon Eunbi of the Palace Arlon of the far eastern country of the country of Calbee. ‘Wait, that's the brand of potato chips. it never mind I pray that she introduces her country too.’ Yujin panicked.

 

“Hello, Ahn Eugene it has been a long time since I had last seen you. From a little hyper child that roamed round the walls of the Palace Arlon of Calbia when your family came over to visit to one that holds so much sophistication. It’s a shame that I wouldn’t be able to see your face since it is hidden behind your mask. But I’m certainly sure that it would hold to that of Aphrodite, just like how your sisters do too. Also, how have your sisters been? It’s been over a year and every now and then Chaewon, who is my oldest child, has been whining to meet Minjoo.” Eunbi rambled on till she dropped to a little whispering voice

 

“I think Chaewon may have taken a fancy to your sister, Minjoo. Don’t tell anyone though. Just a little secret between us like the old times.” And with that Eunbi excused herself to the little banquet table, wanting to try out some of the tiramisu cake that Queen Hyewon had raved about earlier.

 

This was certainly a little banter she could use with Minjoo.

 

After what seemed like Eugene going round endlessly of the corner of the ballroom to greet each and every guest, without any pauses.

 

Finally came the cue for her to move forward to the Ruby Room where she would have to face the children of all these adults and repeat the same process over again, except she would have at least one of her sisters to accompany her.

 

As Eugene made her way to the conjoining door leading to the Ruby Room.

 

The Queen held a hard gaze, expecting Eugene to hold up the attitude she possessed for the night and for the rest of her life.

 

Once, Yujin entered the Ruby Room, she could sense less of a tense and upright atmosphere.

 

There was even some Techno music blaring out of the speakers, which was a stark contrast to the old classical waltz played by the live orchestra.

 

Surely, there was a bit of tension as the children are expected to still uphold themselves as they are to be potential suitors to anyone in the very room but it was light and easy since there was friendly chatter happening around the room.

 

Yujin thanked the Royal Guard who had ushered her to the room and proceeded to scan the room to find Minjoo or Yuri. Then, she caught a glimpse of Minjoo’s white mask which was moving animatedly to a fellow guest’s words, and Minjoo lightly slapping the other guest’s shoulder.

 

Yujin moved over and greeted a few teenagers along the way politely.

 

Then, as she neared the pair, Minjoo managed to sense her coming round and gestured gracefully for her to join the conversation she was holding with a girl with a mint green mask lined with emerald stones round the eyes.

 

“Eugene, meet Chaewon, Crown Princess of Calbia and Chaewon meet my older sister, Ahn Eugene”

 

‘Oh so this is the Chaewon of the Calbee, wait , Calbia country. The one that supposedly fancies my sister. I can tell that she may be a very close friend to Minjoo since she managed to pull off a joke to make her laugh. Well, Minjoo does laugh but she never laughs that shyly when it comes to a joke.’ Yujin thought to herself.

 

She extended out a hand to which Chaewon shook firmly.

 

The first sign of an alliance formed between countries.

 

“I’m really sorry if I couldn’t recall any memories of you since we were both five years old but I look forward to making new memories together? Anyways, business matters aside and this is a party to celebrate your return to the Royal Ahns, how about we talk about our lives outside.”

 

Chaewon dropped to a similar whispering tone as her mother did earlier.

 

“Away from the ears of these walls.” And Chaewon resumed the conversation at the original volume.

 

‘The walls have ears?’ Yujin wanted to ask about it but refrained herself from pressing on it.

 

“I’ll bring my sister along too, how about that?” Chaewon beamed proudly.

 

“You have a sister?” Eugene’s facade dropped slightly, revealing the slightly curious nature of Yujin.

 

She received a tight pinch on her arms from Minjoo who was glaring angrily at Yujin at her abrupt question, from behind her mask.

 

Chaewon let out a hearty laugh to the question to which she replied, “Yes, and she is my lovely bunny sister Kwon Wonyoung. Minjoo, don’t pinch her. I’m sure Eugene must have missed out on that fact since I am usually present in the eyes of the media”

 

Eugene let out a grateful smile to Chaewon once Minjoo let her fingers apart from Eugene’s skin. 

 

There was a little red welt on her skin, a reminder of Minjoo’s wrath on her.

 

And Chaewon let out another hearty laughter when Minjoo slightly punched Chaewon on her shoulder while whining, “My sister just needed a lesson on the way she threw that question”

 

“It’s okay. And besides, I am afraid that I wouldn’t be able to have Eugene meet up with Wonyoung fully for it seems like my little bunny is engaged at the moment, with plenty of suitors. Anyways, let's get going to your garden maze”

 

“How about Yuri, Chaewon?” Eugene asked.

 

“Well, I haven’t caught a glimpse of her this evening. Perhaps she had sneaked out too to her own room to play with her little VR set like the usual”

 

Yujin curtly nodded in response, knowing how Yuri constantly skipped the lessons to play on her VR set.

 

And with that, the trio made their way past the Royal Guards standing at attention under the pretense of going to the washroom, one by one.

 

Finally, they all made their way out of the stuffy celebratory party, with Chaewon making her way at the side entrance leading to the garden maze, which was luckily left unguarded.

 

They soon made their way out, narrowly avoiding the lights of a passing pair of Royal Guards.

 

They inched their way to the Garden Maze with Chaewon doing an awful imitation of a ninja sneaking stealthily across the lawn, and Yujin following in a similar fashion.

 

She knew how much trouble she would get into getting at least a small presence of dust on her evening gown but it didn’t matter because she wanted to get a bit of the carefree life of Lee Yujin before being forced permanently into the mould of Ahn Eugene.

 

The trio managed to make their way to the entrance and soon rounded a bend in the maze, before bursting into an unstoppable bouts of raucous laughter.

 

“What in the world was that for Chaewon? Sneaking across the lawn knowing very well you are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter